SM UU Listen to the Music (Peaked #7, 88.4% GXE, 1725 ELO)

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Introduction
Hi everybody! This will be my 3rd RMT and easily the one that I am most excited to write. I've been workshopping this team for about a month and I really need to write this RMT before tier shifts completely warp the meta into a hellscape. I laddered on my alternate account "Renaissance Player". Here's my over all record using this team: https://gyazo.com/2621e9e4a733280c4f3dfb22b76e15e2. Ignore my low peak, ladder stresses me out! This is the team that has brough me the most success on ladder and has gotten good reviews from everyone that has rated it. All my Pokemon are named after 70's and 80's hit songs, and if want my Spotify playlist hit me up on Showdown. Enjoy!

Pokepaste

http://pokepast.es/9cfc100efe71824c

Building Process

I'm A Believer (Celebi) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Earth Power​

I'll admit, this team was made in Breloom meta but Celebi wasnt just to beat Breloom. Celebi is always slept on, and people say "Well yeah it can break stall but all Grass-types can". Although it is true that most Grass-types break stall, Celebi has the cabability of pressuring the massive bulk in the tier that is centralized around Water- and Ground-types. Celebi provided some immediate breaking power for this team and can also work as a sweeper. With Groundium Z, Celebi can lure in common Grass-type checks, like Scizor and Alolan Muk, and nuke them. Dazzling Gleam although it seems better than Psychic because of Hydreigon and Latias, Psychic is actually always the better play because it allows Celebi to break through Rotom Heat and Togekiss who in some cases can be an issue for this team. I'll speak more to how Togekiss pressures this team later on.

Surrender (Steelix-Mega) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic​

You're probably asking yourself why I am using Mega Steelix. "Hasn't that mon rapidly decreased in viability and usage in recent weeks/months?" You are exactly right, however it is Steelix's special bulk, dual typing, and role compression that make it optimal for this team. Searching for a Ground-type is always such a pain because every UU team needs one. With Steelix I gained both a specially bulky Steel-type that is able to stomache Flying-type attacks that threaten Celebi, and an electric immunity. Steelix is also key for checking Electrium Z Latias who is able to catch Empoleon by suprise (we haven't gotten to Empoleon yet but its okay :D) and Togekiss who became a very strong Pokemon in the meta.

Brandy (Primarina) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Scald​

After setting up my initial core I desperately needed a Hydreigon check, a Fairy-type. I thought about Sylveon but I really wanted something that pressure Pokemon, because honestly Sylveon doesn't scare offensive threats. I chose defensive Primarina, a set I had recently seen promise in, for multiple reasons. Primarina provided a much needed check to all Dark-types including Krookodile. It also has an undeniable way of beating all Stealth Rock setters. It's longevity due to Rest Talk is a key part of this team. Primarina provides a much needed switch in to status and takes a lot of heat off of the rest of the team. It is also the most offensive Fairy-type even when defensive.

I Want You Back (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast​

Hydreigon was honestly just the generic speed control pick. The only reason I chose Hydreigon was because it provided a Ground-type immunity with Levitate. The reason I chose Hydreigon over Latias was specifically because it wasn't Pursuit weak like Celebi and soon to be Chandelure were. You'll see here I mention Pokemon that aren't "on the team yet" which shows that I double back a lot with my team building. Hydreigon is also amazing because it resists electric which is key for the Mega Manectric matchup. U-turn is also really nice for this team because pivoting is key when pressuring opposing teams.

Go All The Way (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute​

Chandelure really cemented the amazing stall matchup because Celebi, Primarina, and Chandelure just absolutely dance over most stall teams. It was also a key offensive check to Scizor, Infernape, and Cobalion. Other than that Chandelure just plays a key role as a breaker for this team.

Mr. Blue Sky (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Protect
- Roar​

The last choice was just hazard removal. I also wanted something with the capability of phasing out sweepers since this team needs some counter measure to Suicune and other "fun" Pokemon. Protect was key for scouting moves from pivoters like Scizor and regaining health. I also needed a switch in to Primarina which is a huge threat for all teams, Protect really helps against Primarina by giving extra turns of burn while Empoleon heals.

Threat List
Don't mind me while I swipe CBU's Why? How? threat list format :)

Why? Honestly, Nidoking threatens every team without Blissey but I wanted to mention it because it is a huge threat. If Nidoking is granted a free switch in it can just click Earth Power or Sludge Wave dealing massive damage to something. This team has resistances to its moves it's just a matter of what move it uses.
How do I deal with it? The only way to beat Nidoking is to make the necessary predictions. It's usually safe to predict Nidoking to use Ice Beam trying to catch the Hydreigon so the Empoleon and then Hydreigon double is a solid play. Once Hydreigon is in it usually forces your opponent to switch. Another way to deal with Nidoking is just pressure it with Celebi or get Chandelure behind a Substitute and wreak havoc!

Why? This is 100% dependent on the whether the Togekiss is Fightium Z. If the Togekiss is not Fightium Z you really don't have a problem considering there is a Mega Steelix and Empoleon. With Togekiss' bulk it is able to live Celebi's unboosted Psychic and it speed ties Chandelure and outspeeds the rest of the team besides Hydreigon hich can't touch it.
How do I deal with it? If it is Fightium Z then the only way to beat it is try to set up with Celebi and kill it, bait out the Z Move and try to Roar it out, or keep rocks off the field and Heavy Slam with Steelix in regular form and then revenge kill with Celebi.

Why? I put an asterix on this mon in my head because it really doesn't pose a threat when I use the team but on paper it's scary. Considering the only electric immunity doesn't appreciate a Flamethrower/Overheat, its a threat.
How do I deal with it? The way to deal with it is hope the Mega Manectric clicks Flamethrower on Celebi so you can live and then nuke it with your Z move. You can also click Earthquake with Steelix, because people love to lead Mega Manectric versus this team, and then switch right into Hydreigon and U-Turn.

Why? Mega Sceptile just clicks its STAB attacks and does massive damage.
How do I deal with it? Hydreigon revenge kills it. Celebi can stomache a Dragon Pulse and do a lot with Psychic. Steelix can toxic. Empoleon can take all its attacks and Roar it out. There are really a lot of little ways to deal with this mon but it is still scary.

These next two threats are just insanely powerful and threaten many teams!

Why? This team has no definite Terrakion switch in, due to its power and amazing offensive typing Terrakion is terrifying.
How do I deal with it? Hydreigon can RKO Terrakion with Draco Meteor after is uses Close Combat. Steelix can stay in regular form and kill with Earthquake. Those are the two most consistent ways to deal with it.

Why? Like the Togekiss threat was only 1 set, Serp also has 1 threatening set, Assault Vest. Thanks to our blessed ladder hero Pokeisfun, AV Serp is the most nasty set I've seen so far. It can't be killed by any special attack from Chandelure and Hydreigon before rocks without a crit.
How do I deal with it? Clicking U-turn repeatedly with Hydreigon is the easiest way to knock it out.

Other Options

Primarina can be replaced by Sylveon pretty easily. I'll let you know now that I prefer the Primarina but having Sylveon eliminates a few Pokemon on the threat list and gives the team much more longevity. If you stop using Primarina then SD Gliscor is much more of an issue but thats pretty much the biggest down side. I don't know if I would say that the Primarina has a high skill cap but it will definitely teach you how to play Bulky Offense and keep the Pokemon healthy in tough situations.

Shout Outs
Easily the best part of any RMT, now where to begin?
  • My best friends on this site (order doesn't matter: CBU, Sage, Viv, Sei, Accelgor, Amane Misa, ACWAH, Hilomilo, Watfor, Euphonos, Ark, Yeezy, Pif, and Mengy. If you're on this list I love you and I appreciate you putting up with me when I'm a sucky person.
  • Super cool people: Sparrow, Cynde, Juunie, Martha, Eyan, Miraklez, Safa, PDT, Bob, Kitten Milk, Papa, Cookeees, Faded, and Chloe. I hope we ge to know each other more.
  • Literally the whole UU room for people super cool people.
  • Shoutouts to the auth I miss: Leo, CSB, and Killin'time. I want them all back!
  • And the millions of people I forgot to shout out because I am bad :D
  • Also if you read this whole thing then my time was well spent!

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cool team! Thanks for the shoutout! I have a few suggestions that might make the team have a better matchup against the threats in the threats list.
  • Moltres is a pretty big pain for this team; its only checks are Primarina and Empoleon, both of which are slower than it and take neutral damage from its attack. Furthermore, as it is mentioned, Mega Manectric is a pain for this team. The natural solution here was Rhyperior > Mega Steelix. Not only does it help with these, it also takes less damage than Mega Steelix from Nidoking's attacks and can KO it back and it runs Avalanche to help with the Gliscor matchup. To be fair, you already have a reliable Steel-type on this team, which is Empoleon. The only weakness it might open up is Z-Thunder Mega Latias, but I will cover that later.
  • The Mega slot was freed, so I changed Mega Altaria > Primarina. Mega Altaria runs a bulky set with 3 attacks to help to deal with Gliscor and prevent Scizor from setting up. What Mega Altaria does, apart from checking Gliscor and preventing Scizor from setting up, is to provide the team with a better Serperior and Mega Sceptile check, because as you mentioned, these two pose huge threats to your team.
  • At that point, Pokemon that looked threatening are Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, Nidoking, Calm Mind Latias, and Mega Aerodactyl. Hence, I decided to change the Empoleon set to have Toxic > Roar and Shuca Berry > Leftovers. The loss in passive recovery is really annoying, but I feel like it's mandatory to help to deal with Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, Nidoking, and Mega Aerodactyl. Toxic helps with non-Thunder Calm Mind Latias, but if Latias uses Thunder, it usually gives up on Recover, which makes Hydreigon and Mega Altaria decent checks to it.

Celebi @ Groundium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Earth Power

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Protect
- Toxic

I hope that the rate helped, let me know if you have any questions!

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hola señor, nice team you have here. This team is pretty solid as it is, but I think it could still be better :o. One annoying thing about it is the pursuit + Scizor matchup, yes, you do have a Muk lure but it's not like Muk is the only Pursuit trapper and it's also not like every player is gonna brainlessly leave their Muk in on Celebi these days. Another thing is how easily your two walls are chipped. Mega Steelix has no recovery and Empoleon relies on Protect stalling with Leftovers.

- Alright so I'm replacing Mega Lix for Rhyperior to help the Mega Manectric matchup and Moltres matchup mainly. You have Empo for the Moltres matchup already but I'm planning on doing something with that and it ends up leading to a shitty Moltres matchup :3. Rhyperior also improves the Gliscor matchup a lot and it ntb against Scizor either. The EV spread OHKOs Scizor w/ EQ after rocks + -1 Def drop from Superpower.
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

- Getting rid of Empo for this because ngl CB Bullet Punch helps a lot of these matchups you claim to struggle with as well as the Maero matchup which could use some work, yes you lose a Primarina switch in, but you can play around it with Scizor + Celebi. CB BP can revenge Nidok after chip, M-Scept after chip, Terrak, and Togekiss. It also forms a nice U-Turn core with Hydreigon while giving Pursuit support for a Celebi that's hard walled by Latias. Spread just creeps Klefki and dumps the rest into Hp.
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

- Malt > Primarina, this gives you a fairy and a defogger in place of Prima/Empo. This mon also hard walls Mega Sceptile which, as you said, this team struggles with. The coverage is up to you, I'd personally go with Flamethrower but Ice Beam can work too if you're that scared of Gliscor owo. The spread lives CB Scizor BP after rocks and creeps Adamant Scizor/Jolly Daunt.
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 76 SpA / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower / Ice Beam
- Defog
- Roost

I'm A Believer (Celebi) @ Groundium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Earth Power

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

I Want You Back (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Go All The Way (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 76 SpA / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

Yes, ik this is super similar to Misa's but I promise we rated at like the same time ;w;. Lmk if you need help with anything just hmu, ik you will anyways whether I tell you to or not, so I'll look forward to it. I think this team's Lati matchup definitely takes a hit with these changes but it's still completely doable with Malt + Scizor. Neat team all around tho, good shit. Ty for shoutout

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)