move 4: Will-O-Wisp/Taunt
ability: Unnerve
item: Life Orb
evs: 20 Hp / 52 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

- Fire Blast is Litleos primary STAB, the most powerful move on the set
- Hyper Voice is Litleos Normal STAB, and grants good neutral coverage, useful for hitting Water-types
- Dark Pulse is used to hit Ghosts, who's STAB cannot touch you and grants near-perfect neutral coverage, also allowing you to hit Rock-types neutrally as well
- Hidden Power Grass is Litleos best way to hit Tirtouga, Onix and Omanyte for 4x damage, as Dark Pulse hits them rather weakly. Unablwe to hit 17 SpA with Hp Grass, however, due to the decrease in SpA IVs.
- Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple common Fighting-Type switch-ins, bar Guts Timburr
- Taunt can make use of Litleos above average Speed stat to stop Hazards/Status
- Flamethrower grants a more reliable STAB if you feel you do not need the other two options
- Overheat may also be considered for a more powerful STAB, however it forces Litleo out very quickly due to the SpA drops

Set Details
========

- Speed EVs and Timid nature allow Litleo to reach 17 Speed
- 252 EVs put into SpA to maximize damage
- The rest of the EVs are spread out to increase bulk with the leftover amount
- Life Orb is used to boost the damage dealt
- Unnerve is Litleos only ability of any value on this set, as Moxie is useless for a special set and Rivalry is unreliable for boosts

Usage Tips
========

- Useful in dealing with Steel-types, like Ferroseed and Pawniard who it out speeds and can KO, however it doesn't enjoy switching into Thunderwave or Knock Off
- Can easily KO Grass-types, however is vulnerable to Spore from Foongus and its Poison-type STAB
- Ghost-types cannot hit it with their STAB, making it a decent Check to these Pokemon
- Generally should be used to wear down its Counters with its wide coverage, and possibly cripple Fighting-types with Burn
- Good at forcing in Water-types and Fighting-types and weakening them for team mates to clean up

Team Options
========
- Spinners, such as Drilbur or Staryu are helpful due to its weakness to Stealth Rock, Defoggers such as Vullaby or Archen also make good partners for the same reason
- Foongus makes a decent partner, as it can take Fighting-type moves and deal with some Rock and Ground-types, and Litleo can deal with the Steel-types who it cannot touch normally
- Grass-types in general make good partnes as they can threaten Water-types who beat Litleo
- Water-types help beat Rock and Ground-types, Staryu in particular can also offer Rapid Spin support for Litleo as well
- Fighting-types can deal with Rock-types and Litleo can help absorb Will-O-Wisps for them from Ghost-types
- Something that can deal with Timburr, as it can switch in on Will-o-Wisp due to Guts and has super effective priority in Mach punch, Fletching is ideal for this, as it can deal massive damage with Acrobatics
- Spritzee can take Fighting-type moves and Litleo can deal with Steel-types that threaten it, Snubbull also makes a good partner for the same reasons, and can Paralyze faster Checks for Litleo in turn
- Both of the above Fairy-types can beat Carvanah, who can outsped Litleo with Speed Boost or hit it with Aqua Jet priority

Other Options
########

- You could use Rivalry, but it is gambling a 50/50 chance for a damage increase or decrease, which generally isn't optimal, due to the luck involved
- Flame Charge, although weak, can be used to finish of weakened foes and allow to out speed the entire unboosted metagame, which is very useful for cleaning up weakened teams who may have faster Pokemon present
- Snarl, although weaker than Dark Pulse, can be used to lower the Special Attack of Ghost-types, such as Misdreavus, as well as damage them
- Roar is also in Litleos movepool, however its use is very niche as it rarely has the opportunity to use it due to its frail nature
- Litleo has access to the Ability Moxie, allowing it to increase its low attack to tolerable levels after a boost. With a decent Physical movepool, and access to Flame Charge, it can both boost its Speed and possible begin a lategame sweep, however it is very difficult to set up, as it is rather weak before a boost. A set of Return/Flame Charge/Crunch/Wild Charge could be run, Fire Fang is also Litleos strongest Physical Fire move
- With a decent Speed stat, a Scarf is usable, outspeeding common Scarfers such as Pawniard and Scraggy. Scarf Moxie is also an option, assuming you can KO something weakened.

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock-types**: Rock-types resist both of Litleos STABs and can hit it super effectively with their own STAB and fear little from a neutral Dark Pulse. Sturdy must be broken in order for Hidden Power Grass to have any use on the likes of Onix and Tirtouga, for example.
**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types can destroy Litleo with their STAB, and in the case of Timburr with priority Mach Punch, Guts also makes burning it a poor option.
**Water-types**: Litleo must rely on Dark Pulse/Hyper Voice to hit Water-types, as such bulkier Water-types will be able to switch in and threaten Litleo with their STAB. Staryu is especially threatening since it can out speed and take any of your moves on the switch and can also Recover meaning it can switch-in multiple times. Carvanah can revenge KO Litleo very easily with access to both Speed Boost as an Ability and priority in Aqua Jet, however it cannot switch in to Will-o-Wisp or Hyper Voice generally.
**Ground-types**: They can easily dispatch Litleo with their STAB, however Litleo can still hit them hard with its Fire moves, limiting their switch-ins. It is, however, out sped by Diglett and risks a Speed tie with Drilbur.

Last edited:
I don't think either of them should even be in other options, litleo just doesn't have the stats for a physical set.

More points: flamethrower should be slashed with fire blast, not WoW

For more other options: add some hidden powers, ice adds decent coverage to this set, grass and fighting too. I'd mention access to roar as well, as this can always come in handy.

I'm reluctant to add hidden power, as if the Special Attack IV goes to 30, Litleo cannot hit 17 Special Attack, as it requires 252 EVs for it to reach 17. If you can give me something relevant that Litleo can beat with a Hidden Power, then I might consider it. 2x Hidden Power are out damaged by neutral Fire Blast and Hyper Voice, so it has to be something that can threaten Litleo, resist both STABs and be weak to the HP type, and Litleo has to be able to win by using it
The only type I can see merit in is HP Grass, however a large number of Rock-types are 2HKOed by Dark Pulse, and are running Sturdy anyway, so it is very situational.
I'll mention Roar in OO, since I think Roar should be left to bulkier pokes, but it might be a nice surprise.
And I just noticed I missed the second "n" on Unnerve, thanks Scron.

I suppose at this point it is ready for QC.
I'm still uncertain about Hidden Power on Litleo, as all the useful types(Grass) make it impossible to reach 17SpA, and are still circumstantial.

Regarding HP Grass, Hyper Voice hits Water-types harder, and most Rock-types are either Sturdy (Tirtouga, Onix, Dwebble) or neutral to the move (Archen, Tyrunt, Dwebble again), making HP Grass not worthwhile. You miss the OHKO on Binacle, but I have a feeling that won't be too much of an issue.

Also (haven't tested it myself yet, but) Flame Charge is an option to boost Litleo's speed, letting it outpace even 16 speed scarfers after a boost, not bad.

Yeah those were my exact same thoughts on Hidden Power, I feel Litleo has all the coverage it needs, I suppose I could leave HP Grass in oo, just for the fact that it can deal with Rock-types easily after sturdy is broken.
The issue I have with Flame Charge is that it hits very weakly, so pretty much the only time it'll be useful is by finishing off very low hp pokes, otherwise it would be generally better to nuke the switch-in then to use Flame Charge for minor damage, that usually won't affect whether or not Litleo will OHKO with its stronger moves. Still not completely certain its useless, but Litleo might want not want to give a moveslot to a move that is only really usable in certain circumstances and not even necessarily useful in those circumstances.

Yeah those were my exact same thoughts on Hidden Power, I feel Litleo has all the coverage it needs, I suppose I could leave HP Grass in oo, just for the fact that it can deal with Rock-types easily after sturdy is broken.
The issue I have with Flame Charge is that it hits very weakly, so pretty much the only time it'll be useful is by finishing off very low hp pokes, otherwise it would be generally better to nuke the switch-in then to use Flame Charge for minor damage, that usually won't affect whether or not Litleo will OHKO with its stronger moves. Still not completely certain its useless, but Litleo might want not want to give a moveslot to a move that is only really usable in certain circumstances and not even necessarily useful in those circumstances.
OO for both then

I've used Litleo a bit, and the set I've always been impressed by is Flame Charge. It makes Litleo even faster, and harder to stop. I will find the actual set soon, but just inputting that I like Flame Charge =).

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
move the mention of roar to other options, instead of on the set

when mentioning HP grass, you got your alternate spread being exactly the same as the current spread. alternate spread must have 176 SpA EVs as if you run 30 IVs that's the highest point it gets to

is a moxie scarf/flame charge set relevant enough for OO? it gets a decent physical movepool and its attack is better than it's SpA at +1. physical movepool includes return, crunch, wild charge, thief, flame charge, fire fang which is good enough imo.

this is really solid though, 1/3

Made the changes, removed alternate spread since with HP Grass the EVs actually can't go anywhere (idk why I even had an alterant spread)

I am not fond of Moxie Litleo, but I suppose a general Scarf set and mention of Moxie using its decent physical move pool could fit in OO, since it can work in certain circumstances.

Ready for more QC checks I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)