(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Completely nitpicky and subjective, but Cresselia and Darkrai in Lore vs Gameplay is strange to me.

In the most basic sense, Darkrai is a Pokemon who (inadvertently or intentionally, depending on depiction) puts others to sleep with nightmares that they cannot naturally wake from, to the point of being able to die in their sleep (whether of natural body breakdown or the Nightmares themselves causing physical harm). Cresselia's role meanwhile is to wake those Darkrai has put to sleep using Lunar Wings/Feathers, to the point where her initial location is an island adjacent to Darkrai's so she can be close if someone stumbles upon it as happens with Eldritch and his son.

Despite this, I find their design as Pokemon oddly flip-floppy/half-baked. Cresselia is a Defensive/Support mon vs Darkrai as Offensive, making sense so far since the role would require Cresselia to fix up damage done by Darkrai, or outlast it if they came to blows in more directly antagonistic depictions; despite this, Cresselia was given a pure Psychic typing that makes her extremely disadvantaged against Darkrai even in this respect, which would tip this confrontation in the latter's favor even when things like Mystery Dungeon depict an actively-spreading Darkrai as constantly evading (i.e. running away from) Cresselia.

Besides this, Cresselia's movepool seems odd to me: it has moves like Safeguard that can prevent sleeping, and some tutor moves with thematic appropriateness like Dream Eater (if one takes the name literally and it removes the Bad Dreams in usage); on the other hand, it lacks abilities or much for moves that would allow her to actually remove Sleep from teammates besides itself, moreso having ways she can to act in spite of Sleep like Snore and Sleep Talk. The closest she has in this aspect is Lunar Dance, which will cure a recipient of Status including Sleep, but also faints her in the process so she can't do it again if Darkrai's still in play to cause more issues (even outside gameplay context, it gives the sense the move exhausts her enough to need a long rest).

I would have expected maybe a signature version of Heal Bell, since admittedly most of the existing/generic means of sleep prevention don't match Cresselia from a flavor/aesthetic standpoint. This would be the most basic way to implement it, but other options could include ability options akin to Healer or Sweet Veil (or again, reskinned equivalents for Cresselia). These also wouldn't be out of place from a gameplay stand point on the defensive Support Cresselia plays as, adding a bit of Cleric utility would probably do it well and be in line with what's there. Only other small nitpick is something like Featherdance would suit it well even if not particularly useful.

Despite the wall of text, I consider this a "Little" thing that annoys me because it doesn't break or contradict their set up outright, moreso just kind of a messy/imperfect way to depict it when more means were available even in their debut Gen.

It would not at all surprise me if they considered turning Cresselia into Psychic/Fairy and decided against it due to it already being so good in competitive.

It's kind of interesting to think about Cresselia had it been a generation or two later (alongside darkrai).
I think by Gen 5 it probably would have gotten an ability that gave it Insomnia But A Different Name, at the very least, and I think Lunar Dance would have been some weird, extremely specific effect instead of the strange fainting spell.
Gen 6 absolutely would have given it a support ability that wakes up partner pokemon & prevents sleep and probably would have concieved it around being pure Fairy, with stats tweaked to match.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Besides this, Cresselia's movepool seems odd to me: it has moves like Safeguard that can prevent sleeping, and some tutor moves with thematic appropriateness like Dream Eater (if one takes the name literally and it removes the Bad Dreams in usage); on the other hand, it lacks abilities or much for moves that would allow her to actually remove Sleep from teammates besides itself, moreso having ways she can to act in spite of Sleep like Snore and Sleep Talk. The closest she has in this aspect is Lunar Dance, which will cure a recipient of Status including Sleep, but also faints her in the process so she can't do it again if Darkrai's still in play to cause more issues (even outside gameplay context, it gives the sense the move exhausts her enough to need a long rest).

I would have expected maybe a signature version of Heal Bell, since admittedly most of the existing/generic means of sleep prevention don't match Cresselia from a flavor/aesthetic standpoint. This would be the most basic way to implement it, but other options could include ability options akin to Healer or Sweet Veil (or again, reskinned equivalents for Cresselia). These also wouldn't be out of place from a gameplay stand point on the defensive Support Cresselia plays as, adding a bit of Cleric utility would probably do it well and be in line with what's there. Only other small nitpick is something like Featherdance would suit it well even if not particularly useful.
If it means anything, Legends added a signature for it that is speculated to work like Jungle Healing in the main games

If the devs want, turning Cresselia into a Psychic/Fairy and Darkrai into a Dark/Ghost would give them an advantage and weakness against each other. Another Psychic/Fairy would be overkill at this point, but that didn't stop Rapidash or Hatterene.
Psychic/Fairy is the new Fire/Fighting Rock/Ground to some degree.

Simply the two types pair very well thematically so I can't exactly blame them for overusing the typing.

If Cresselia came up 3 generations later, it'd have been called Tapu Lele more or less :zonger:

the devs want, turning Cresselia into a Psychic/Fairy and Darkrai into a Dark/Ghost would give them an advantage and weakness against each other. Another Psychic/Fairy would be overkill at this point, but that didn't stop Rapidash or Hatterene.
Honestly, it still irks me, and I've complained about this before, but this still bothers me that the Lake Guardians aren’t Fairy type, especially since their names are Pixie, Elf, Gnome, and Sprite creatures associated with fey. They are way more Fey than the Tapus, and especially Gardevoir, who really does not scream Fairy to me, I think it is honestly better as a pure Psychic design wise. Mismagius is more Fairy like to me, since it is based off witches, creatures with magic and associated with the fey.

Part of the issue is that at this point, there's Psychic, Fairy, Dragon, Ghost, and Dark types. All of those could qualify as Mystical/Spiritual/Vibes/Odd. Heck, even Fighting gets Aura/Ki stuff on occasion. And while they clearly don't overlap perfectly, there's a lot of blurred edges between some of those types. GF really needs to define what each type is about, at least internally, because if you just look at a list of mons of each type right now the only thing that's clear is that nothing is clear.

Remember how we complained about Romhackers putting in too many types?
This is why

Honestly if GF were crazy enough, rock and ground wouldn't be separate types, same with ghost and dark. But the types were too catered to the phys/special split before, so it kinda couldn't be forseen

I think Ghost & Dark have enough of their own identities. Ghosts can be jerks but its more in the spooky haunting or pranks category. Dark types get a frequent night motif, but they're still in the category of "jerks". They have pretty solid visual to them as well.

Like there's vary rarely a situation where I look at one of their Pokemon and think they should have just been the other type or that they could just lump them together.

Rock/Ground is kind of fun because I think that as time's gone they have done more to try & differentiate them since...well, gen 2. Fun fact, despite all the groaning we do about every single Rock/Ground type is either a gen 1 pokemon (the Golem line, Rhydon line, Onix), related to a gen 1 pokemon (Rhyperior) or are Larvitar & Pupitar. It definitely seems like them being lumped together was mostly just some gen 1 jank; since then they let rock types be more based on rocks without worrying how they'd tie in with ground, playing up their jagged or rough nature while ground types trends towards more stuff like clay, mud or sand associations, or living in the ground itself.

Incidentally the most popular dual typing of Rock? Water. There's 11 of those in total. Weird right?

Incidentally the most popular dual typing of Rock? Water. There's 11 of those in total. Weird right?
This is interesting because of what it says about 'default' typings. Seven of the eleven Water/Rock Pokemon are essentially locked into that typing from conception because they 1) live or spend a lot of time in the water, which makes you a Water-type in Pokemon 95% of the time and 2) are extinct or otherwise ancient (but non-legendary), which made you a Rock-type 95% of the time until the Gen 8 fossils departed from that design philosophy.

Rock/Ground is kind of fun because I think that as time's gone they have done more to try & differentiate them since...well, gen 2. Fun fact, despite all the groaning we do about every single Rock/Ground type is either a gen 1 pokemon (the Golem line, Rhydon line, Onix), related to a gen 1 pokemon (Rhyperior) or are Larvitar & Pupitar. It definitely seems like them being lumped together was mostly just some gen 1 jank; since then they let rock types be more based on rocks without worrying how they'd tie in with ground, playing up their jagged or rough nature while ground types trends towards more stuff like clay, mud or sand associations, or living in the ground itself.

So looking into this led me to this bulbapedia entry, which is very interesting. Most common dual-types, in order:
Normal/Flying, 26
Bug/Flying, 14
Grass/Poison, 14
Bug/Poison, 12
Water/Rock, 11
Pure Steel is also 11, the least-common single type other than Flying with 3.
Rock/Ground, Water/Ground, Psychic/Flying are all at 9.

I wonder if the 'overexposed' feeling is generational or based on how bad/good/annoying the typing is, because I think looking at that list will provoke some definite strong feelings about certain types.

A lot of it probably is generational. Both in terms of literal generations and also just, generations, of fandom.

I feel like if yo uwere to do an informal poll, knee-jerk reaction would probably have people complain about Poison/Flygin, Water/Poison and perhaps even Water/Flying because Zubat, Tentacool & Wingull have so ingrained themselves in our brains, even though objectively the typings themselves are quite rare. The zubat line is the ONLY one in the former but I always catch myself thinking there's way more just because the type it's associated with is so strong and stands out but not in a way that makes it *unique* (this, to be clear, might just be a me-problem). There's 4 water/poisons but one becomes a dragon and another other is on again/off again rare

A lot of it probably is generational. Both in terms of literal generations and also just, generations, of fandom.

I feel like if yo uwere to do an informal poll, knee-jerk reaction would probably have people complain about Poison/Flygin, Water/Poison and perhaps even Water/Flying because Zubat, Tentacool & Wingull have so ingrained themselves in our brains, even though objectively the typings themselves are quite rare. The zubat line is the ONLY one in the former but I always catch myself thinking there's way more just because the type it's associated with is so strong and stands out but not in a way that makes it *unique* (this, to be clear, might just be a me-problem). There's 4 water/poisons but one becomes a dragon and another other is on again/off again rare
Yeah I forget that the Zubat line's typing is unique all the time. Same with the Gastly line. Honestly Gen 1 probably skewed a lot of people's perceptions about the Poison type in general.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
That we didnt get gym 1 with a triple battle. (Gen 5)
That wee always get double battles late in gyms. Gym 2 would be perfect for it. Gym 4 would be perfect for 4vs4 a double dual battle. 6Vs6 in double format in League.

That we Didnt got poison /ghost; steel/fighting;;dragon/ice; water/grass on more regular 500~550 BST pokemon.

We still need Contests with battles like in anime.
With jumping and chosing where to hit on battle field (left, middle,right) in the same time, some moves can hit more positions but become weaker(circle-cross;battleships). Increased Priority, bounce, jumping moves would allow to move from left to right, 2 positions, other only 1 position.
Time battles(turn based). Battle Racing. Underwater battles. Battling in trees, piramids, labirynth, rotating and moving fields where some moves miss or destroy field that could affect battle, change moves, user, target, destroy lake-->RAIN 2 TURNS; HIT sand--> sandstorm 2 turns; hit rock wall-->rock slide; target uses surf, user first mud sport->surf becomes muddy water with 66% power. Sky battles with positioning of height to avoid attacks and hit harder.

Last edited:
Yeah I forget that the Zubat line's typing is unique all the time. Same with the Gastly line. Honestly Gen 1 probably skewed a lot of people's perceptions about the Poison type in general.
Hugin mentioned grass/poison and that's another good example, both of the generational trend and as you said perceptoins about poison

it goes...
Gen 1: almost everything goes here
Gen 2: nothing
Gen 3: Roselia
Gen 4: 2 extensions to Roselia's line
Gen 5: Foonguss & Amoonguss
Gens 6-8: Nothing

Gen 1 was by far & away the "kindest" to poison. It has a ton of them and in a variety of dual typings. And since they've been around so long, they tend to show up a lot, so it attaches to people more.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Poison was such a bizarre typing in Gen 1, in that it frankly was latched on as a second type to other typings to a point where it didn't really have an identity of its own back then.

Grass/Poison is being brought up, and that really strikes as a prime example of Gen 1 and its weirdness all in all. Fun fact: the only Pokemon who was pure Grass-type in Gen 1 was Tangela. Every other Grass-type in Gen 1 was part Poison-type by default, and it seems that Poison was simply latched onto Grass as a default, so much so that even Bulbasaur, the Grass starter, had Poison latched onto it as a second type while the other two Kanto starters didn't have a second type in their first stage. Meanwhile Bellsprout and Oddish, who were both basically the poor man's Bulbasaur for those who chose Charmander or Squirtle, were also part Poison-type. And none of these really had any Poison-type attributes, if the type was even thought to have any at the time and given the lack of Poison moves, had no benefits to reap from it either as the only Poison move Bulbasaur learns is Poison Powder, though one could argue Bellsprout and Oddish had Acid at least. All of them were simply plants at the time, and could have feasibly been pure Grass if they were introduced in a later generation, especially Venusaur.

Gastly is another case where the Poison-type, at least at the time, was more or less latched on to it because it's a gaseous entity. It had no Poison-type moves, and even in the present day Gengar is more well known as a Ghost-type, not as a Poison-type, and if it were introduced in a later time, it may very well be a pure Ghost-type since it purely exhibits Ghost-type tendencies, and not one of its lore entries describe any Poison-type attributes by today's standards.

The same also applies to Zubat who had no Poison-type moves, and is more of a Flying-type, but was a Poison-type at the time because...it's a bat. Likewise with Tentacool since it was a jellyfish.

All of these mons had Poison latched onto them as a type, and weren't really Poison-type in terms of lore or nature. The only cases where it truly made sense were the pure Poison-types, namely Muk and Weezing, who were based on pollution and had some Poison-type moves like Sludge that could be functional STAB. It seemed the type didn't have much of its own identity until later generations, whereas in Gen 1 it was mostly latched onto mons like Venusaur, Gengar, Zubat, and the Nidos without any sort of identity as to why.

A lot of typings in Gen I scream "well, the two things are related".

A lot of Rock-types are also Ground-types because, well, rocks are part of the ground.

A lot of Grass-types are also Poison-types because of the amount of poisonous plants (even though, IIRC, not a single of the Grass/Poison-type Pokémon of Gen I are based on poisonous plants, though at least the Bulbasaur line has the excuse on being based on frogs).

And so on.

So there was a little thing with Ingo in Legends Arceus that bugged me.

not that he was there, or that he was a faller or anything like that, just that they didn't go into any detail about the fact that he joined the Pearl Clan

That's kind of really notable and they don't talk about it at all. He's a stranger with amnesia, who probably appeared from nowhere (at BEST they saw him land from a wormhole) and strange clothes but they let him into their clan and he eventually became a Warden to one of the ten most sacred Pokemon in the land. That's...pretty substnatial amount of trust required on their part that they don't get into at all, in a game whose kinda-sorta theme is about trust and being open to other ideas. Iridia has to be convicned that the Balm thing would work at all, and is wary of us but what about Ingo? What was that process like?? And while the timeline of Ingo being here isn't reall laid out iirc I feel like he's had to have been around since before Galactic showed up 2 years prior.
Just a missed opportunity, I feel.

It annoys me that, while the TM/TR compatibility in Sword and Shield brought back many moves Pokemon only had via events and such, that it's compatibility still wasn't perfect

-A lot of the TM Compatibilities that were brought back in Let's Go(stuff like Reflect on like half the Gen I Pokemon and Solar Beam on Lapras) were immediately reversed
-While some Gen I and II event moves and Pokemon XD Purification moves returned, others did not despite their being both the Pokemon that could learn one and a TM or TR of the move in question. Gen IV-VII event moves did not have this problem whatsoever.
-A few minor removals of other moves (Alolan Dugtrio not getting Stealth Rock, Combee not get Swift, ect. At least the latter was fixed in Arceus)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So there was a little thing with Ingo in Legends Arceus that bugged me.

not that he was there, or that he was a faller or anything like that, just that they didn't go into any detail about the fact that he joined the Pearl Clan

That's kind of really notable and they don't talk about it at all. He's a stranger with amnesia, who probably appeared from nowhere (at BEST they saw him land from a wormhole) and strange clothes but they let him into their clan and he eventually became a Warden to one of the ten most sacred Pokemon in the land. That's...pretty substnatial amount of trust required on their part that they don't get into at all, in a game whose kinda-sorta theme is about trust and being open to other ideas. Iridia has to be convicned that the Balm thing would work at all, and is wary of us but what about Ingo? What was that process like?? And while the timeline of Ingo being here isn't reall laid out iirc I feel like he's had to have been around since before Galactic showed up 2 years prior.
Just a missed opportunity, I feel.
I haven't gotten to this part of the game yet but isn't it explained that he was admitted due to his incredible talent for handling Pokemon quite literally centuries ahead of everyone else? Or at the very least even if not directly explained it's highly suggested with how good he is relative to nearly every other character in the game, being 1 of 2 NPCs with a full team of 6

I haven't gotten to this part of the game yet but isn't it explained that he was admitted due to his incredible talent for handling Pokemon? Or at the very least even if not directly explained it's highly suggested with how good he is relative to nearly every other character in the game, being 1 of 2 NPCs with a full team of 6
Pretty much. Same reason why the player was trusted early on.

I haven't gotten to this part of the game yet but isn't it explained that he was admitted due to his incredible talent for handling Pokemon quite literally centuries ahead of everyone else? Or at the very least even if not directly explained it's highly suggested with how good he is relative to nearly every other character in the game, being 1 of 2 NPCs with a full team of 6
The part I remember them saying this with was when he sets up the battle ...thing...at the dojo (portal?) and just a general comment on "he's pretty good with pokemon huh?"

I'd still have liked more information about that time, regardless. It'd probably interesting to various characters and such!

Hugin mentioned grass/poison and that's another good example, both of the generational trend and as you said perceptoins about poison

it goes...
Gen 1: almost everything goes here
Gen 2: nothing
Gen 3: Roselia
Gen 4: 2 extensions to Roselia's line
Gen 5: Foonguss & Amoonguss
Gens 6-8: Nothing

Gen 1 was by far & away the "kindest" to poison. It has a ton of them and in a variety of dual typings. And since they've been around so long, they tend to show up a lot, so it attaches to people more.
It took until Gen 7 for the number of Poison types introduced after Gen 1 to exceed the number of Poison types introduced in Gen 1.

Pretty absurd!

Edit: I wanted to see the breakdown and thought others might too, so here it is:

Gen 1:
Bulbasaur line (3)
Weedle line (3)
Ekans line (2)
Nidoran line (6)
Zubat line (2)
Venonat line (2)
Oddish line (3)
Bellsprout line (3)
Tentacool line (2)
Grimer Line (2)
Gastly line (3)
Koffing line (2)
Total: 33

Spinarak line (2)
Crobat (1)
Qwilfish (1)
Gen 2 total: 4

Dustox (1)
Gulpin line (2)
Roselia (1)
Seviper (1)
Gen 3 total: 5
Running total: 9

Budew, uh, line (2)
Stunky line (2)
Croagunk line (2)
Skorupi line (2)
Gen 4 total: 8
Running total: 17

Venipede line (3)
Trubbish line (2)
Foongus line (2)
Gen 5 total: 7
Running total: 24

Skrelp line (2)
Megas (3)
Running total: 29

Alolan Grimer line (2)
Salandit line (2)
Mareanie line (2)
Nihilego (1)
Poipole line (2)
Gen 7 Total: 9
Running total: 38

Galarian Weezing (1)
Toxel line (2)
Galarian Slowtwins (2)
Eternatus (1)
Gen 8 Total: 5
Running total: 43

Hisuian Sneasel line (2)
Hisuian Qwilfish line (2)
Total: 4
Running total: 47

Summary:
Gen 1 had 33 Poison types (iirc the most common type in the dex, even beating Water)

Gens 2-7 had 33 new Poison Pokémon added, with one evolving from a gen 1 line (Crobat)

3 Poison-typed Mega Evolutions (all stemming from Gen 1 Pokémon, naturally)

2 Poison-typed regional forms (again, from a Gen 1 line)

Depending on how you count Mega Evos and regional forms, by Gen 7 the total number of new Poison types may not even break the Gen 1 number! Gen 8 does manage to definitively exceed it, though it also adds two more Poison-typed regional forms to Gen 1's numbers (and another that evolves from a Gen 1 Pokémon).

At least Legends gave us Poison-typed regional forms that aren't originally from Gen 1.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)