Little things you like about Pokémon

1671197604192.png

Don Quijote is a Japanese store chain which is known for selling a variety of products and being open on late hours. Sort of like a convenience store but with more stuff to buy. As with many stores, it has a mascot: a cute little blue penguin called DonPen. I founded out about them through a post saying the store changed its plans to replace him as their mascot, which is where I realized that the Delibird Presents store is directly based off of Don Quijote.

View attachment 475711
Don Quijote is a Japanese store chain which is known for selling a variety of products and being open on late hours. Sort of like a convenience store but with more stuff to buy. As with many stores, it has a mascot: a cute little blue penguin called DonPen. I founded out about them through a post saying the store changed its plans to replace him as their mascot, which is where I realized that the Delibird Presents store is directly based off of Don Quijote.
Should have called it Donphan presents then amirite.

I like that Koriadon and Miraidon set up different conditions when the enter the battlefield. This is great since it means that running these Pokemon on the same team isn't necessarily a hindrance or bad synergy-wise, as you can run Pokemon that both benefit from Electric Terrain or Sunny Day and be relatively fine, even if the other Pokemon switches in.

View attachment 477140
Today I bring you the best Lucas design. No goofy ILCA renders, no outfit changes needed, Hareta is just a Silly Little Guy.

This is now a Diamond & Pearl Adventure shilling thread. Read it at all costs, it's epic.
I've always summarized this manga as "OG Dragon Ball but Goku was a Pokemon Trainer" in terms of the tone and progression. Has the same simple-mindedness and "all friends made from fighting" philosophy after all

Here's something neat I just found out: Even if you don't have six members in your party, you can still refuse the gift Lucario in X and Y.

Will you feel like a monster? Yes. But I appreciate the choice.
I just wish you could completely skip the Mega Evolution tutorial (or let you use a different Pokémon).

My hands felt dirty when you were forced to use a Lucario.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Here's something neat I just found out: Even if you don't have six members in your party, you can still refuse the gift Lucario in X and Y.

Will you feel like a monster? Yes. But I appreciate the choice.
Interestingly, ORAS goes very hard in the other direction; it is completely impossible to avoid having Latios/Latias join you after the Southern Island sequence after getting the Balance Badge. If you have a full PC and party (easily achievable using Pokebank) Steven will stop you from travelling to Southern Island, citing his "intuition" that you might want to keep a slot free for later (jeez dude, at least call spoiler first).

Even if you make space, travel to Southern Island, save the game and then refill your PC, you will be once again prevented from entering the inner area. I even tested whether it was possible to have a full PC and a party consisting of three Nincada all on the verge of evolving (so as to create three Shedinja once the battle against Team Magma/Aqua concludes and fill up the final three slots) but they even accounted for this as merely having a full PC will forbid you entry.

I also appreciate choice but I kind of can't be mad since they went to such ridiculous lengths to ensure that you accept it. They could have just... left it there able to be collected later at a time that suits you like most gift Pokemon. But no.

Last edited:
Interestingly, ORAS goes very hard in the other direction; it is completely impossible to avoid having Latios/Latias join you after the Southern Island sequence after getting the Balance Badge. If you have a full PC and party (easily achievable using Pokebank) Steven will stop you from travelling to Southern Island, citing his "intuition" that you might want to keep a slot free for later (jeez dude, at least call spoiler first).

Even if you make space, travel to Southern Island, save the game and then refill your PC, you will be once again prevented from entering the inner area. I even tested whether it was possible to have a full PC and a party consisting of three Nincada all on the verge of evolving evolve (so as to create three Shedinja once the battle against Team Magma/Aqua concludes and fill up the final three slots) but they even accounted for this as merely having a full PC will forbid you entry.

I also appreciate choice but I kind of can't be mad since they went to such ridiculous lengths to ensure that you accept it. They could have just... left it there able to be collected later at a time that suits you like most gift Pokemon. But no.
GF be like:

GF be like:
To be honest, after seeing the lenghts they have gone in SV as well (since being a speedrunner I have been following the development of routes and glitches)...

I think GameFreaks REALLY hates sequence breaking.
"We've worked on these story elements and/or pokemon important to the plot and YOU WILL GET THEM".

Not that I mind, I hate sequence breaking myself .... :zonger:

Them bending overbackwards for the Lati was probably just them really really really wanting to emphasize the flying aspect and wanted to make sure that getting it immediately lead to a flight session. Obviously for game mechanics purpose you can then trade or store the Lati and they'd still be abl eto do it, so they could have had the Lati just stick around

But you know how these things can be for developers sometimes.

QuentinQuonce

Not that I mind, I hate sequence breaking myself .... :zonger:
All these years on the Internet, seeing so much objectionable content and horrendous opinions, and *this* is what I find myself disagreeing with most strongly...?

But jokes aside - sincerely, I'm interested; how come?

(edit: feel free to DM if you'd rather)

Them bending overbackwards for the Lati was probably just them really really really wanting to emphasize the flying aspect and wanted to make sure that getting it immediately lead to a flight session. Obviously for game mechanics purpose you can then trade or store the Lati and they'd still be abl eto do it, so they could have had the Lati just stick around

But you know how these things can be for developers sometimes.
They also made sure you get your Lati before Mossdeep to avoid softlocks. That's why you can trade it but still Soar on it.

QuentinQuonce

They also made sure you get your Lati before Mossdeep to avoid softlocks. That's why you can trade it but still Soar on it.
I don't get what this means - why would not having it before Mossdeep cause a softlock?

The one you soar on should have no bearing on whether you've received it or not. There's nothing that suggests you must have caught Lati@s to soar - after all, you and Steven ride one to Southern Island without having caught it first. Others might disagree but I don't think that the one you soar on is intended to be the specific individual you caught, since you can continue to call on it regardless of whether it's in your PC or has been released, traded, or transferred away.

There might well be a flag in the game code to check whether you've caught either Lati before you can use the Eon Flute - I honestly don't know - but I doubt it. It's not part of your party, it's probably not even considered a Pokemon at all by the game since it functions pretty much like a bike. If you were to hack the game in order to have the Eon Flute before the first badge I can't see why it wouldn't work as normal (obviously, it would potentially allow some heavy sequence breaking). You can't access Southern Island by soaring in regular gameplay and iirc you need to have beaten the Elite Four before you can use the Eon Ticket so they could simply have made it the case that you have to catch your game's Lati first as a further condition of returning. Wouldn't have been difficult at all.

Last edited:
I don't get what this means - why would not having it before Mossdeep cause a softlock?
It is possible to Softlock the game at Mossdeep. If you have no items and money, heal and save at Mossdeep, fly to put your only Surf and Fly users in Day Care then get KO'd, you warp back to Mossdeep with no way to leave the island. If you do this with only 1 Pokemon left in the party, you can't even trade with another player

By getting the Eon Flute before Mossdeep you have a Key Item that essentially allows you to fly anywhere so you don't get stuck

QuentinQuonce

It is possible to Softlock the game at Mossdeep. If you have no items and money, heal and save at Mossdeep, fly to put your only Surf and Fly users in Day Care then get KO'd, you warp back to Mossdeep with no way to leave the island. If you do this with only 1 Pokemon left in the party, you can't even trade with another player

By getting the Eon Flute before Mossdeep you have a Key Item that essentially allows you to fly anywhere so you don't get stuck
You don't get the Eon Flute before Mossdeep though. You get it in Sootopolis after you've gotten the Mind Badge. It is still possible to softlock yourself in Mossdeep (also Dewford, Sootopolis, and Pacifidlog) in ORAS, but only before getting the Eon Flute. But that doesn't answer my question of why you'd need to get the Lati before Mossdeep, since for the reasons I covered having the Lati makes no difference as to whether you can use the Eon Flute or not.

You don't get the Eon Flute before Mossdeep though. You get it in Sootopolis after you've gotten the Mind Badge. It is still possible to softlock yourself in Mossdeep (also Dewford, Sootopolis, and Pacifidlog) in ORAS, but only before getting the Eon Flute. But that doesn't answer my question of why you'd need to get the Lati before Mossdeep, since for the reasons I covered having the Lati makes no difference as to whether you can use the Eon Flute or not.
Oh you do too. I swore you got it after the 6th gym for some reason. Sorry for the error

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
ORAS carries a lot of HMs but the free Lati makes a great HM slave.

I've played through the games 4 times and ended up making the free Lati my HM slave in each. It was never in attempt to raise the game's difficulty. I just want more freedom in how I could use my team and shoving a bunch of HMs on the Lati helps with this a ton.

ORAS carries a lot of HMs but the free Lati makes a great HM slave.

I've played through the games 4 times and ended up making the free Lati my HM slave in each. It was never in attempt to raise the game's difficulty. I just want more freedom in how I could use my team and shoving a bunch of HMs on the Lati helps with this a ton.
I’m doing this on my Nuzleaf solo too. Free Water HM/fly slave!

I kinda like the role items like Ability Shield and moves like Collision Course and Electro Drift. Sure, in normal PvP battles, these are nothing special. Ability Shield is kinda useless and Electro Drift + Collision Course are just crappy EQ clones with a situational secondary effect. However, in raids, Ability Shield can be quite helpful so the raid Pokemon doesn't nullify you ability (kinda useful in the Cinderace raid since i was using Skeledirge initially though that didn't work out in the end) and the extra damage multipliers from Electro Drift and Collision Course are quite potent when paired w/ other factors like Screech & Metal Sound Defense Drops, offensive boosts, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)