Challenge Living Off The Land - Playing through Yellow without marts or centers

do more of these for other games
I have an idea for a similar kind of run where the goal is to not heal, ever. I'm not sure what game I'd do it in, or whether or not that's even feasible. Plus I wouldn't do it for a little while regardless. But that's what's next on the horizon, hopefully.

Another Sullla reader huh? I've considered doing something like this before but never found the time to do so, so props to you for making this happen! I'd like to try a log like this for another Pokemon game, but they all have forced heals. Granted, perhaps those games having less bugs and (generally) smarter AI might balance it out, but still it kinda ruins the point a little.

Or maybe I could do this for one of those Drayano romhacks

Another Sullla reader huh? I've considered doing something like this before but never found the time to do so, so props to you for making this happen! I'd like to try a log like this for another Pokemon game, but they all have forced heals. Granted, perhaps those games having less bugs and (generally) smarter AI might balance it out, but still it kinda ruins the point a little.

Or maybe I could do this for one of those Drayano romhacks
Well, time/energy permitting, I'd love to see you or anyone else try this in another game. Been doing some preliminary research for the no-healing run I mentioned earlier, so I've finally gotten around to checking out some speedruns to see how many forced heals the rest of the gens actually have. Well, besides Gen 7, because even if I love those games they're terrible for this type of run. So for your consideration:

Crystal:
After first rival fight
After Slowpoke Well
Start of Mahogany Rocket Base lower levels
After Elite Four

Emerald:
After first Zigzagoon
Talking to Devon Corporation President
Delivering Devon Goods to Stern after Grunts

Platinum:
After first rival fight
Returning to Twinleaf Town after Sandgem Town
After forced fight with Cheryl in Eterna Forest (x2)
After Jupiter and Mars atop Spear Pillar
After final Cyrus fight

Black/White:
After first Bianca fight
Tutorial Center in Accumula Town
Before fighting toddlers west of Nimbasa City
After Route 10 Cheren fight
Before N
Before Ghetsis

Black/White 2:
Tutorial Center in Aspertia City
After each School Kid in Flocessy Town (x2)
After Castelia Sewers double battle
After Plasma Grunts in Nimbasa City
PWT
After forced fight with Bianca in Reversal Mountain
After Zinzolin in frozen Opelucid City
Before Ghetsis

X/Y:
After first Shauna fight
After first Sycamore fight
After Team Flare Power Plant gauntlet
After Anistar rival fight
After Xerneas/Yveltal
Before Route 19 Trevor fight

Naturally the earlier gens have less, but I wouldn't say it's a strictly negative relationship as Emerald is better than Crystal, and the best overall. Not only does it have less raw heals (well okay "After Elite Four" technically applies to Emerald as well, but Crystal's "postgame" is the only one I really consider as part of the main game), but the later two it has are really close together. If you skip Brawly for a bit I'm pretty sure the only trainers between the two heals are the 2 Team Aqua grunts by Stern, so they're functionally not too different from just having 1 extra forced heal.

Besides Emerald though, I'd say everything before BW2 is probably fine. Granted, I'm not too fond of how Platinum/BW sanitize some of their hardest fights with forced heals (Cyrus, N/Ghetsis) but besides that there's not too many heals.

Well, time/energy permitting, I'd love to see you or anyone else try this in another game. Been doing some preliminary research for the no-healing run I mentioned earlier, so I've finally gotten around to checking out some speedruns to see how many forced heals the rest of the gens actually have. Well, besides Gen 7, because even if I love those games they're terrible for this type of run. So for your consideration:

Crystal:
After first rival fight
After Slowpoke Well
Start of Mahogany Rocket Base lower levels
After Elite Four

Emerald:
After first Zigzagoon
Talking to Devon Corporation President
Delivering Devon Goods to Stern after Grunts

Platinum:
After first rival fight
Returning to Twinleaf Town after Sandgem Town
After forced fight with Cheryl in Eterna Forest (x2)
After Jupiter and Mars atop Spear Pillar
After final Cyrus fight

Black/White:
After first Bianca fight
Tutorial Center in Accumula Town
Before fighting toddlers west of Nimbasa City
After Route 10 Cheren fight
Before N
Before Ghetsis

Black/White 2:
Tutorial Center in Aspertia City
After each School Kid in Flocessy Town (x2)
After Castelia Sewers double battle
After Plasma Grunts in Nimbasa City
PWT
After forced fight with Bianca in Reversal Mountain
After Zinzolin in frozen Opelucid City
Before Ghetsis

X/Y:
After first Shauna fight
After first Sycamore fight
After Team Flare Power Plant gauntlet
After Anistar rival fight
After Xerneas/Yveltal
Before Route 19 Trevor fight

Naturally the earlier gens have less, but I wouldn't say it's a strictly negative relationship as Emerald is better than Crystal, and the best overall. Not only does it have less raw heals (well okay "After Elite Four" technically applies to Emerald as well, but Crystal's "postgame" is the only one I really consider as part of the main game), but the later two it has are really close together. If you skip Brawly for a bit I'm pretty sure the only trainers between the two heals are the 2 Team Aqua grunts by Stern, so they're functionally not too different from just having 1 extra forced heal.

Besides Emerald though, I'd say everything before BW2 is probably fine. Granted, I'm not too fond of how Platinum/BW sanitize some of their hardest fights with forced heals (Cyrus, N/Ghetsis) but besides that there's not too many heals.
Would the original pairs have less heals than the 3rd games in the series? Worth looking into?

Would the original pairs have less heals than the 3rd games in the series? Worth looking into?
Given where the heals are located, I doubt GS or RS would have less, but DP might since the Spear Pillar segment is a little different. But I think most people would be very reluctant to play them over Platinum >_>

So despite my initial skepticism of Millky95 's proposal, I decided to actually check out the non-enhanced versions of Gens 2/3/4 for forced heals. Gold/Silver are the same as Crystal, and Diamond/Pearl do have one less heal, missing the one after Cyrus. But what surprised me was Ruby/Sapphire, which are missing both the heal from the Devon President and from Captain Stern. This means that the original RS games share the distinction with RBY of having virtually no forced heals (the ones after the first fights don't count)! That's pretty cool to know for these types of runs :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)