Other Metagames Logic and Chaos-An Anything Goes RMT

Is Zekrom the best pokemon is existence?

• Total voters
Welcome all, and settle down, because this is going to be a long read. I really appreciate you coming along to read, since I worked reasonably hard on this team and I know that Anything Goes is not always the easiest of metas to get along with. So, with that being said, let's get into it!

I have always personally felt that Pokemon is not just a game of statistics, and that there's more to battling well than a good grasp of the mathematics behind the game. I have always believed that, more than anything else, chaos, whether or not it comes from creating a set so wildly different than anything else in the meta or simply from playing in an unexpected manner, is the most important factor to winning battles.

It doesn't take an awful lot of skill to win on logic, to win by analyzing battles to a degree where your opponent is see-through, but to truly create a sense of surprise for your opponent can give a massive advantage to your team.

This is what I've mainly tried to do with this team-create sets that may not be especially good, but are simply so unexpected that they receive enough bad plays so as to turn a battle around.

TL;DR-Chaos>Logic

Teambuilding Process:

To start off with, I needed the root of chaos, a Pokemon that could both be viable as well as being unexpected to a degree at which a battle could turn to my favor simply through misplays. Reviewing all of these needs I chose Ho-Oh.

Next up I wanted another Pokemon that was similar to Ho-Oh in that near everyone in the tier played it a certain way, and through changing the way it was played , I could create surprise. Seeing this, I picked Giratina.

Continuing on, I realized the fact that any Ho-Oh user needs reliable hazards control. I chose Latias, mainly because it aids my team defensively and because the Special pressure it provided aided my team.

Next I realized that I had forgotten to add a lead. Seeing as my team had a Defog user I chose to go for a HO lead over a hazard setter. Thus, I chose Rayquaza.

At this stage, I started to realize that my team, once an opponent had set up on me, was extremely weak to a large range of Pokemon, such as Extremekiller Arceus and Dragon Dance M-Ray. As a result, I decided to pick Ditto.

Here I had begun to really look at my team, and figured that I a) already had enough physical pressure on my opponent and b) Giratina didn't provide the sort of physical pressure that I was looking for in the first place. Seeing this, I went back to the drawing board, looking for a Special Attacker that was near always played in the exact same fashion and came up with Xerneas.

Forgive me-I hate myself for doing it, but sometime a team just needs good hax to win, and Klefki is able to almost always turn those hax in my favor. Remembering this, I chose Klefki.

The Team:

Rainbaus(Ho-Oh) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sacred Fire
- Sleep Talk

It took me a while to come up with a Ho-Oh set that was both viable and completely unexpected, and I ended up with the above set. I was slightly disappointed about how little I had ended up changing, but when I was testing out the set I found that the speed change was enough to completely upset many teams that were prepared for Ho-Oh's slower sets. The moveset is fairly standard, there are no recovery moves here because of the Scarf. The EVs include Speed simply to aid the scarf in out-speeding my opponents.

Rainbaus Mk II(Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

I once again decided use a Choice Scarf on this Pokemon, just like Ho-Oh. Unlike nearly all Xerneas sets, Geomancy is not present here, as this set, due to the scarf, does not benefit from it. The moveset is fairly standard, except for the presence of Psychic, which allows Xerneas to come n and attempt to revenge kill any relevant Pokemon, such as Arceus-Poison. The extra speed that Xerneas possesses allows it to quickly destroy many opponents, due to the fact that it doesn't have to set up.

Logic (Latias) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Sorry to disappoint, but no special sets here. This set is word for word copy-pasted from the Smogon Pokedex. I felt no need to play around with it due to the fact that it worked already, and I usually make sets worse when I do anything with them. This thing Defogs, it takes hits well and it provides enough special pressure to keep opponent's Pokemon, such as Primal Groudon, wary.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Lum Berry
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

This Pokemon is my lead, and an old favourite of mine. Instead of hazard setting MegaRay Dances, then proceeds to assault the enemy team. It can OHKO Pokemon like Pogre with Dragon Ascent and can 2HKO any pokemon in the tier outside of Skarmory. The Lum Berry prevents Pokemon such as Klefki crippling it with a Thunder Wave or WoW. The moveset is fairly standard for this type of build, covering most of the meta. I considered running a Fire move instead of Extremespeed, but the priority is far more useful than covering the occasional Skarmory.

Logic (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform

Some people say that Ditto is overrated in Anything Goes-I have to disagree. It acts as a potent deterrent from setting up, which in itself is enough to claim a spot on my team. However, it also manages to defeat Lugia, crush a set-up Ekiller and smash Geoxern. What's not to love? This guy holds my team together-without him, there would be far too many weaknesses.

Chaos (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Substitute

If worst comes to worst, some hax is always welcome when I'm trying to win a game. If you don't know the strategy here, Klefki essentially Twaves the opponent, substitutes until the sub stays up, Swaggers, then Foul Plays until the opponent dies. This strategy relies on logic, but creates utter chaos, as there aren't too many ways to beat it. This is a standard enough set which supports the team while requiring no support itself.

Well, there's the rmt! Thanks for reading, your time is much appreciated! If you want to test out the team, go for it, but it is extremely bad etiquette to actually seriously ladder with another person's team without asking express permission. Comments are much appreciated!

CREDIT TO:
The artists that unwillingly and unknowingly volunteered their work: Autlaw-Deviantart (Ho-Oh image), e-tane-Deviantart (Xerneas image), CherubimonX-Deviantart (Latias image) zerudez-Deviantart (Mega-Rayquaza image) vaness96 Deviantart (Ditto image)
Zangooser For putting up with more stupid questions than anybody should have to.
baconbagonz For being extremely encouraging
The OM room-great people
The Ubers room-I know, AG is not Ubers, but all the same, the people in the Ubers room know their stuff and are very helpful.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team seems ok, but has quite a few notable weaknesses, mainly Ekiller, Darkrai, and Mega Diancie, that give you massive issues. Oh and no Stealth Rock. For starters, try using the below Xerneas set. There's little reason to run max speed timid when you can keep some extra bulk, and sleep talk should help a ton vs darkrai which is currently incredibly annoying. You also don't particularly need psychic, luring poisonceous just doesnt really benefit your team at all. You can go a bit faster for Scarf Kyurem-White if you feel it's an issue but other than that the max speed isn't needed.
Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
- Sleep Talk

You have two scarfers, and quite honestly there's no need for it on Ho-oh. The classic bulky set should fit a lot better on this team imo. However, since you're built around scarf hooh, I'd at least recommend changing to an Adamant nature, as again the max speed + speed isn't really beating anything relevant for you.

Even with set cleanups, the problem I see with your team is that Klefki and Ditto together are basically dead slots that you cant use to reliably switch into anything. Keys gives you a way to cheese opponents, but other than that it honestly doesn't give you anything you need and you're still massively pressured by Arceus/Arceus Ghost/Arceus Ground. A physically defensive Yveltal gives you a much better check to those threats, at the cost of making you more weak to fairy and flying types. With that done, swapping Ditto to a Bronzong gives you a stealth rock user and solid check to fairies, as well as not opening you up more to arceus forms and providing a blanket check to everything from Rockceus to Latias to Kyurem-White to Skymin. These two together should give you a much more solid defensive backbone, it slows down your team a bit but the full HO format really doesnt hold up in AG imo, and it gives you enough resists while maintaining offensive pressure to cover what you need. Good luck with this team, especially vs Keys n_n
Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Roost
- Sucker Punch
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Earthquake

edit: get rekt Joshz

edit 2: both of these rates still leave you fairly weak to gengar trapping, so consider shed shell on zonger/skarm

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hi, obligatory rate bcz ag bcz im cool

1) How do you deal w/standard lum ekiller lol. Overheat bops Klefki if they have it, or otherwise their team can weaken Klefki. Once Klefki is gone and Ditto is weakened it just puts in so much work against your team. I could see Skarmory > Latias to give you a solid Ekiller counter, Ghostceus counter (Ditto loses to Shadow Force because outspeeds), etc. It also gives you a somewhat reliable Mega Ray switchin that you lack because vcreate is rare.
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Toxic

No innovation here lol. Skarm lacks offensive pressure, but Whirlwind mitigates that. Hazard control, physical attacker counter, status spreader. Role compression at its finest :3 +4 spe to creep other skarms ofc.

2) I really can't say how much I like double scarfers in AG (or most tiers). You lack a Stealth Rock setter. You also lack a real Klefki counter besides Ditto. Primal Don covers all of this, and fits well instead of Ho-Oh.
Crackle (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

3) Psychic is kinda bad on xern lol, imo put Aromatherapy to replace it but doing the standard mixed scarf set could also work, up to you. And, only around 180 speed is needed for a bit of speed creep.

4) With all of that, especially Aromatherapy, Life Orb > Lum Berry on ray works for more staying power, and to revenge kill more effectively with espeed.

An alternative to pdon is a groundceus as rocks setter to also deal with klefki. Other than that, that's all I have. GL with your team :]

edit: wow sniped cunt
and yeah shed shell is a fine option

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)