SV OU Lokix, offense glimmora, and defensive iron hands

https://pokepast.es/64ec709d3c604b2c

This team composition is focused on dealing as much damage as possible with chi yu and lokix, the surprise factor of life orb glimmora, and espathra to clean.

First up is Chi-yu. This stupid goldfish deals absurd amounts of damage. I find this is a mon that i am quite often terastallizing for extra damage. I dont run max speed for extra damage to tanks like dondozo, and I have iron hands for other chi-yus. This mon focuses on either killing/revenge killing a mon or doing huge damage into switch ins.

Second is lokix, the anti setup sweeper. Tinted lens choice band first impression lokix does lots of damage, especially with double stab tera. Lokix is a great revenge killer if you can get it in, although its another mon on my team weak to rocks.

Here is Iron Hands. Usually a SD mon, im using it as a bulky attacker. Assault vest gives this crazy bulk, even w/o SpDef investment. I’d like feedback on if I should change to more Spdef investment. This is my chi-yu and espathra counter. Tera dark to tank a free stored power from espathra. Brick break for screens grimmsnarl, which my team has been struggling with.

Next is Espathra. Espathra is here for cleanup. I usually dont send it in early unless its against great tusk. I only usually tera other mons if the opponent has no dark type immune to stored power. Otherwise, tera is saved for espathra. I have twisted spoon for even further stored power power. Should I change the item?

Corviknight, the other bulky pokemon on my team. Corviknight biggest roles are threatening brave bird on great tusk (even though don’t have brave bird my opponents don’t know that so I can u-turn and gain a positional advantage, maybe i could replace roost.) and hazard removal. My team is horrible against ting-lu + gholdengo teams. My number one priority if remove ghold to defog.

Finally, I have glimmora. I am running an offensive/setup glimmora. Either I can take a surprise K.O with life orbs power boost, or sweep with rock polish. Normally I don’t use LO much, but i find people will frequently click rocks on glimmora expecting rocks back, allowing me to have more wiggle room with life orb recoil. Thus mon also handles non EQ garganacl well, with earth power beating non tera, and sludge wave or tera rock power gem will seal big damage to tera water/grass, especially tera grass.

Any suggestions? I’m mostly looking for item/ev/move/tera tweaks, but replacing a mon is fine too if needed. (also first forum post weeeeeee!)

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Heyo! Team is neat!

One quick change would be adding Thunder Punch to Iron Hands' moveset, preferring it over Fake Out. The priority is nice, sure, but in my experience, Iron Hands want to be spamming its most powerful moves, and you have Chi-yu and First Impression to serve as adequate revenge killers. T-punch allows Iron Hands to hit Air Balloon Gholdengo, alleviating some pressure that it might put on its team. That change should help mitigate your problems with Gholdengo/Ting-Lu teams, since Ting-Lu might not loving coming in against Iron Hands for fear of its fighting stab. Tpunch also allows it to contend with Dondozo and Corviknight better.

Additionally, your team would really really appreciate some hazards of its own. Lokix is indeed super powerful and can naturally force a lot of switches; racking up hazard damage would go a long way to making Lokix even scarier.

The obvious easy solution would be to switch Glimmora to its standard set, but in the interest of keeping its unique-ness, I suggest switching Espathra to Great Tusk.

:Great Tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off / Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

This set gives you a hazard setter and another consistent answer to Gholdengo spam as well as Ting-Lu. Espathra isn't really needed on this team, imo, as your damage output is already quite fine, and Espathra is meh IMO without the rest of the team dedicated to supporting it. With this set, I also suggest replacing Body Press on Corviknight with Brave Bird so that you can *actually* threaten Great Tusks with it. Bluffing BB can only go so far before your opponents realize you don't actually have it and no longer fear bringing in their own Tusk. Between Tusk and Iron Hands there is no need for a Corviknight to have Fighting coverage. If you want to keep it, you can replace Defog now that you have Tusk as a spinner, but with Chi-yu and Lokix as your main offense, having hazard control is really quite important. Lastly, I suggest running Pressure on Corviknight over Mirror Armor, Pressure can help in stalling wars vs. other Corviknight, Clodsire, Toxapex, Dondozo, Garganacl, etc.

Here is a paste with my proposed changes: https://pokepast.es/70ae4c2f5bc553a6

If removing Espathra is unpalatable, I suggest swapping Twisted Spoon for Leftovers. Espathra doesn't generally need the extra power since it mostly relies on Stored Power having like a 10 billion BP... the extra power granted from the Twisted Spoon is negligible and Leftovers can negate the damage from Burn or one T-spike poison.

Hatterene may also be an effective choice over Espathra: maintains the position as a competent wincon while deterring hazards from your opponent.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Heyo! Team is neat!

One quick change would be adding Thunder Punch to Iron Hands' moveset, preferring it over Fake Out. The priority is nice, sure, but in my experience, Iron Hands want to be spamming its most powerful moves, and you have Chi-yu and First Impression to serve as adequate revenge killers. T-punch allows Iron Hands to hit Air Balloon Gholdengo, alleviating some pressure that it might put on its team. That change should help mitigate your problems with Gholdengo/Ting-Lu teams, since Ting-Lu might not loving coming in against Iron Hands for fear of its fighting stab. Tpunch also allows it to contend with Dondozo and Corviknight better.

Additionally, your team would really really appreciate some hazards of its own. Lokix is indeed super powerful and can naturally force a lot of switches; racking up hazard damage would go a long way to making Lokix even scarier.

The obvious easy solution would be to switch Glimmora to its standard set, but in the interest of keeping its unique-ness, I suggest switching Espathra to Great Tusk.

:Great Tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off / Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

This set gives you a hazard setter and another consistent answer to Gholdengo spam as well as Ting-Lu. Espathra isn't really needed on this team, imo, as your damage output is already quite fine, and Espathra is meh IMO without the rest of the team dedicated to supporting it. With this set, I also suggest replacing Body Press on Corviknight with Brave Bird so that you can *actually* threaten Great Tusks with it. Bluffing BB can only go so far before your opponents realize you don't actually have it and no longer fear bringing in their own Tusk. Between Tusk and Iron Hands there is no need for a Corviknight to have Fighting coverage. If you want to keep it, you can replace Defog now that you have Tusk as a spinner, but with Chi-yu and Lokix as your main offense, having hazard control is really quite important. Lastly, I suggest running Pressure on Corviknight over Mirror Armor, Pressure can help in stalling wars vs. other Corviknight, Clodsire, Toxapex, Dondozo, Garganacl, etc.

Here is a paste with my proposed changes: https://pokepast.es/70ae4c2f5bc553a6

If removing Espathra is unpalatable, I suggest swapping Twisted Spoon for Leftovers. Espathra doesn't generally need the extra power since it mostly relies on Stored Power having like a 10 billion BP... the extra power granted from the Twisted Spoon is negligible and Leftovers can negate the damage from Burn or one T-spike poison.

Hatterene may also be an effective choice over Espathra: maintains the position as a competent wincon while deterring hazards from your opponent.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the suggestions! I do want to keep my glimmora set, because it picks up a ko or two most games.

You are right about espathra, I changed to hatterene for another defensive pivot, and to bounce back hazards.

I did make moveset tweaks like brick break —> thunder punch on iron hands. Defog can break screens if they dont taunt. Being able to hit gholdengo is important, because hands is my best counter. I also changed body press —> brave bird on corv for obvious reasons.

Hatterene set:

tentacle (Hatterene) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

I have av hatterene with mystical fire for gholdengo. Hatterene has great bulk so av only adds to that more. Instead of a setup hatterene like the typical calm mind/trick room set, I’m using it as a pivot/gholdengo counter. It has super effective moves against 2 of the best walls, (dond and clod) and max HP and SpAtk evs.

Updated team:
https://pokepast.es/d95d45d4f29ab271

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)