Luca and the Beach Bandits [RMT]

Luca and the Beach Bandits

As the title and name of my team suggests this is a OU team based around Lucario. I wanted to use the short amount of time before gen 6 to base a team around Lucario, with a view to being able to incorporate Mega Lucario in the future, assuming it stays as OU. The beach bandit side to the team came from my intentions for it to be a sandstorm team. I also wanted to be immune to as many status's as possible which is another reason I chose lucario, being immune to toxic gave me a lovely starting point and option to set up.

Big T (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 HP / 32 Atk / 240 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Pursuit
- Roar

Big T serves as my weather inducer as well as my main lead. Zero IVs invested into speed and a negative nature guarantee's weather against toed and tales. He can then put a nice dent in them as they swap out with pursuit, as well as allowing him to trap and ohko anything weak to it. Giving me an immediate advantage in a weather battle. Payback is preferred over crunch, since it has double power due to his low speed and stab makes it 150 BP which puts a nice dent in anything neutral and still hurts those that resist it. Stone Edge is puts a huge dent into dnite despite multiscale, ohko's ninetales, salamence and hurts severely anything that doesn't resist it. Sacrificing the final slot to Roar allows him to guarantee a speedy victory against baton pass teams or just get rid of anything behind a sub/trying to set up. HP EV's gives him 400 HP for leftovers and increase his survivability better against physical hits, 32 attack plus a positive attack nature gives him a nice 343 attack which is what I would consider a minimum amount for a physical mon. 240 SpDef EV's gives him an even 296 SpDef, which in sand is boosted to 444. I chose leftovers over focus sash as this build generally gives him so much bulk that unless it's a fighting move at best he's 2hko and anything I suspect is going to earthquake or use a fighting move meets his little brother...

Little G (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Destiny Bond

Little G acts like Big T's, best friend and brother it gets free switches into the fighting and ground moves that t-tar attracts and can severely damage if not ohko Big T's counters, Thunder is there mainly for toeds that might want to switch in or any other water pokemon, if the weather is swapped to rain my opponent is likely to expect a swap into Big T to put it back so Thunder has a nice surprise factor to it, not many people expect their toeds to take 85%+- damage from him in a single move, on anything else if toed switches out normally takes significantly north of that damage. When he is weakened down by life orb and sandstorm or against something I can't counter I chose destiny bond, destiny bond also scouts for sucker punch which is an ever present problem for my team since two pokes are weak to it. Suckerpunch fails on destiny bond then I'm free to attack if I choose to sacrifice my gengar for the kill. EV's are standard offensive spread for obvious reasons. Little G also serves as my spin blocker as well as being immune to toxic/poison moves.

What What What!? (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 124 HP / 152 Def / 232 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

I went through many different sets and pokemon before I settled for ferrothorn. I had used her before to great effect but it's 4x weakness to fire moves was always a concern which is why I tempted to find another pokemon, but it's ability to set up rocks and para fast pokes that threaten lucario with ohko's. It also checks rain so beautifully. The moveset is what I would call standard for her, although predictable it doesn't make it less effective. Power Whip for stab to help the process of slowly killing it's opponent as well as making it not totally useless if taunted. T-Wave to support the slower pokes in my team as well limiting potential threats to lucario like a scarfed heatran for example. Leech Seed is to either force a switch or provide extra healing to either ferro or the rest of my team as a pseudo wish. The EV spread I made gives ferrothorn 320 HP for leftovers, 369 Def, and 326 SpDef.

Ice To Meet You (Mamoswine) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Through the course of testing my team it became abundantly obvious of my weakness to the rus brotherhood, Landorus and co, I needed something to be able to beat them if they stayed in, or force them to switch out rather than attempt to set up. This is why I chose cb mamoswine, Ice shard is for a priority stab against anything faster and icicle crash, earthquake for the stab on slower pokes or potential switch-ins. Super power is for coverage. Considering swapping the choice band for a life orb yet it weakens my priority stab it doesn't mean I get locked into a move.

Ruby (Xatu) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 196 HP / 64 Def / 4 SAtk / 64 SDef / 180 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Roost

Ruby is my anti ferro/fort/skarm/breloom poke. Magic bounce to counter inc traps and assist my ferrothorn by saving it a turn it would otherwise use on stealth rocks. Heatwave for super effective damage against the aforementioned 4 pokes and scizor which it outspeeds. Roost is for reliable recovery aswell as nullifying its weakness to ice attacks and potential rock moves from breloom. Light Screen and Reflect to assist the rest of my team. Roost and dual screens also allow me to scout for sucker punches. Xatu also provides my team with another ground immunity which I find invaluable and a 1/4 fighting resistance, both of which my t-tar and lucario appreciate. It's EVs give Xatu 320 HP for 20HP leftovers recovery, 64 Def and SpDef give it an even 192 or 384 after walls, and 180 Spd with a timid nature gives it 298 speed allowing it to outspeed all 4 of the pokes it's intented to counter as well as others in the same brackets.

Luca (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

The star of my team and providing it's not bumped to ubers in it's mega evolution the guaranteed member of my gen 6 team. SD to boost its attack to ridiculous levels for a sweep. Bullet Punch is for a priority stab which I normally use to finish off weakened pokes or anything weak to it. Ice punch is to deal with dragons, ground, flying and grass pokemon. Drain Punch over close combat to keep my lucario healthy and because the sp def/ def loss from close combat makes lucario way too vulnerable to mach punch which would surely end it's sweep. Also using the ability justified with gengar and xatu's dark weakness I can get a free boost barring pursuit of course.

I hope and look forward to any constructive criticism. Thanks in advance.​

Last edited:
If your going for max speed ev's on mamoswine, you may want to run a jolly nature so you can outspeed as much as possible, i think that at choice band, its going to either OHKO or it isn't. Also, I like how you use Xatu over the generic espeon, and it fits the role much better here :D

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey maybe you can try fitting stealth rocks over roar on ttar and let ferro handle spikes instead. The more hazards, the merrier lol. Dont worry about baton pass teams too much since their baton passing messes up somewhat cuz of all the hazard damage. Also, close combat is better on lucario than drain punch since drain punch is better on ulkier pokemon. The big drop in power can cause it not to koll some pokes. Hope that helps!

If your Xatu is a Duel Screener, use the item Light Clay to increase the duration of your screens. I also don't understand the 4SpAtk evs on Xatu either. Put them into the Defense of your choice. Hope I helped and good luck with what is certainly a well built team!

Thanks for the rates, I'll see what swapping to jolly does to my speed and check what it out speeds on mamoswine. I used to use close combat but it leaves me too vulnerable and at +2 drain punch is strong enough, plus its recovery which really attracts me to it since life orb is draining my lucario

I'll try light clay on xatu, it had leftovers so it could counter sand dmg though I have been considering light clay, I like having the same numbers in def and sp def thats why they're like that :$

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)