Lucario and The Mystery of Mew (Peaked #3 on the OU Current Ladder)

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew

Hi! This is Moonclawz with my very first RMT. This team has been pretty sucessful, peaking at #3 on the OU Current Ladder with a rating of 2117. It is a bulky offense team showcasing Lucario and Mew as two setup sweepers, a defensive core of Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Gliscor, and Latios and a revenge killer. I hope you will be convinced how powerful Lucario and Mew can be after reading this team. Hopefully, you guys will be able to help improve this team and make it even better!

Edits are in RED.

Team at a Glance

The Team

Tyrant (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 228 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Bulky Ttar is great for weather control and absorbing hits from special attackers such as Latias and Latios. Crunch is his main attack, KOing many psychic/ghost types as well as getting STAB. Many players will assume I have Pursuit and leave their Lati twins in, allowing me to KO them. Stealth Rocks is for the hazards that every team needs and Fire Blast allows me to roast Forretress, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, as well as hit Scizor on the switch. Roar allows me to phaze out setup sweepers. Many Pokemon such as Terrakion, Keldeo, and CM Jirachi will try to set up on Ttar and Roar allows me to force them out. Leftovers give it health recovery while the given EV's allow me to avoid the 2HKO from Specs Latios's Surf, while giving him some offensive presence.

Aura (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Lucario is the star of the team and often sweeps opposing teams once he gets a SD up. Justified allows it to set up on choice-locked pursuit users such as Ttar and Scizor as well as switch into the Dark-type attacks that Mew and Latios attract for a free boost. Life Orb and an Adamant nature with the given EV's maximize his damage output. Close Combat does insane amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. ExtremeSpeed allows him to take down faster pokemon and other priority users. Ice Punch allows Lucario to get past Gliscor and Landorus-T, but it leaves me vulnerable to Jellicent. I also may change Ice Punch to Bullet Punch as Bullet Punch allows him to take down Terrakion and Gengar.
For some sample damage calcs, refer to this link: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lucario

Eon (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

In my opinion, Latios is the best revenge killer in the current game. Base 110 speed allows it to outspeed and kill many other Scarfers such as Terrakion and Keldeo. Latios's speed even allows it to outspeed and KO Modest Venusaur in the sun. Draco Meteor KO's many frail Pokemon that don't resist it and is my way of taking down Dragon Dancers such as Salamence and Dragonite (with Multiscale down). Psyshock takes down the numerous Fighting-type Pokemon in the tier and allows him to take down most Keldeo varients, espcially helping against CM Keldeo. Surf gives Latios coverage against Steels not named Ferrothorn and allows it to hit hard against rain teams. Trick rounds up the moveset by crippling slow Pokemon, as well as helping immensely against stall teams. Latios also has great synergy with Lucario, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn, allowing me to switch out after a revenge kill more easily.

Plant (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Spikes

Ferrothorn forms the second part of my defensive core with Ttar and Gliscor. He is my rain counter and takes the water type moves that Ttar doesn't like. The EV's maximize it's general bulk, allowing him to take both Outrages and Hydro Pumps. Ferrothorn can even survive a Secret Sword from Specs Keldeo and KO with Power Whip. Leftovers and Leech Seed give him great recovery. Power Whip allows him to take down water types such as Politoad and Starmie while also preventing him from being Taunt fodder. I usually go directly for the Power Whip against Jellicient as it will usually try to Taunt me first. Protect helps Ferrothorn scout choice-locked Pokemon and helps in recovering health when used in conjuction with Leech Seed. Finally, Spikes helps greatly with Lucario's sweeping attempts and racks up damage when used with Ttar's Roar.

Scorpion (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 184 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Ice Fang / Toxic

Gliscor is the third and final member of my defensive core and is my main answer to most physical threats, having good synergy with Ferrothorn and Ttar. Toxic Orb with Poison Head gives Gliscor amazing recovery, allowing him to last a very long time. The given EV's give Gliscor maximum Poison Heal recovery, and allow him to outspeed and KO neutral-nature Heatran with 220 speed E's and heavily damage neutral-nature Dragonite with 196 speed EVs. Substitute is great with Poison Heal, as Gliscor forces many switches. Earthquake gets STAB and is his main method of doing damage. Taunt helps immensely against slow defensive Pokemon like Skarmory who would otherwise turn Gliscor into set-up fodder. Ice Fang helps Gliscor take down Dragonite, Salamence and Lando-T, as well as breaking the balloons of Pokemon like Air Balloon Terrakion. Toxic allows Gliscor hit Rotom-W and other Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake.

Embryo (Mew) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

Nasty Plot Mew is a seriously underrated threat in today's metagame. Due to its versatility, it can KO many of its counters (not named Blissey or Chansey) with the appropriate move. A Modest nature gives Mew extra power, as I find the extra speed isn't very useful on this team. After a Nasty Plot, Mew even has a 56.25% chance to KO 252/252+ Tyranitar in a Sandstorm with Aura Sphere. Psychic gets STAB and does a ton of damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Aura Sphere gives Mew coverage and Fire Blast roasts Scizor and Ferrothorn. Usually, I'll Fire Blast right away if I'm up against a Scizor on the first turn, as Mew often has the advantage of surprise against many players. Mew also helps greatly against Breloom, as it outspeeds non-Scarf variants and KOs with Psychic. Synchonize also lets me bounce back status when Politoad or Gastodon use Toxic. Leftovers gives Mew recovery, and counters the effect the Sandstorm damage.

Threat List

Volcarona- My main way with dealing with it is Stealth Rocks. However, most teams with a Volcarona run a spinner or a hazard bouncer. After a Quiver Dance, I usually have to sac a Pokemon, to switch in Latios to use Psyshock on it. However, Psyshock only does around 72-80% which means I then have to finish it off with Lucario's ExtremeSpeed.

Alakazam- With a combination of Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast, it hits every single one of my Pokemon super-effectively. Tyranitar and Ferrothorn can avoid a KO from Focus Sash variants and activate its Focus Sash, which will allow Latios and Lucario to revenge it. Life Orb variants are dealt by Lucario or Latios after sacrificing a Pokemon or switching into a resisted hit.

Gengar- Again hits all of my Pokemon super-effectively with Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Tyranitar survives a Focus Blast and can KO with Crunch. Latios can revenge it, but only if it's not behind a Substitute.

I hope you guys like the team and thanks for any Luvdics!

Exportable
Tyrant (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 228 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Aura (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Eon (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

Plant (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Spikes

Scorpion (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 172 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Ice Fang

Embryo (Mew) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

Last edited:
Ok your team seems pretty solid, there one pokemon that easily defeats this team and that would be Volcarona. It can KO every pokemon besides TTar in sand and Gliscor. If it has Sun up then TTar the only thing that stands a chance, so i think you should replace either roar or Crunch with Stoner Edge to make dealing with Volcarona easier. You may want to replace Aura Sphere or Fire Blast and run Baton Pass on Mew. Why because it allows you to escape from TTar and you can pass the boost to Latios for on strong attack, it also lets you get off to Draco Meteor, and with trick you can drop the scarf which just turns Latios into a deadly sweeper.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Moonclawz, nice team!

Firstly, I really don't see the point in that Gliscor. Without Toxic, you can't really stall out opponents with Substitute, so there's really not much point in it, as Gliscor's already immune to status (once Toxic Orb activates that is), and if you want to scout an opponent or get the opponent to take an extra round of Sandstorm damage, you can just run Protect.

In addition, this team is absolutely destroyed by the common core of Tyranitar / Keldeo / Landorus. Your team has absolutely nothing that can switch into Keldeo and Landorus other than Scarf Latios, which is probably the biggest Tyranitar bait other than Scarf Latias. With Latios gone, you have nothing to outspeed Landorus and Keldeo, other than Lucario's Extremespeed which doesn't come close to OHKOing. All Expert Belt Keldeo or special Landorus need to do to to easily sweep through your team is weaken Ferrothorn slightly, then it's gg. I highly suggest running a Specially Defensive Hippowdon over your current Tyranitar, and a Starmie over your current Gliscor.

These may seem like weird changes, but let me explain, there was simply no way of reliably taking care of your Keldeo / Landorus problem with a single Pokemon. Pokemon such as Celebi can work against most variants, but either Keldeo will be Ebelt HP Bug, or Landorus will have U-Turn. There were other Pokemon that can counter Keldeo or Landorus separately, but they lacked synergy with the rest of your team. This way, your sand streamer and Stealth Rocker is still a good specially defensive tank, but it can now take a hit from Landorus and return with Ice Fang, and it's very similiar to Gliscor. This may not be able to OHKO Landorus, but it does do a large dent and you can then revenge with Starmie or Lucario. Starmie isn't a very good answer to Keldeo, but it's a fast check, which is incredibly useful to your team. The main problem with most Keldeo answers is that they're incredibly slow and can be disposed of by the Expert Belt variant (main threat to your team, there are multiple ways of disposing of the Choice Scarf variant), whereas Starmie can easily outspeed and KO. Starmie also offers another water resist, which is always useful, and it can spin away hazards, which is great considering your lack of many airborne Pokemon.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team :)

BTW, Starmie is offensive Expert Belt because it's worn down too quickly with Life Orb + Sandstorm, and the defensive set is weak and it can't do much to the latis, bandtar, etc.

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Whirlwind

EDIT: Woops Hippowdon was always meant to have Slack Off LOL.

Scotti- Thanks for the rate! As I find I'm not using Fire Blast that often, I've changed that to Stone Edge on Ttar. I found its quite useful, giving Ttar more offensive coverage. Crunch and Roar are both too valuable to throw away. It's also allowed me to move Ttar's SpA EVs to SpD. Although Baton Pass on Mew would allow it to escape opposing Ttar, I find Aura Sphere to be more useful. Also, passing to Latios on Pursuit would let it be KO'd. They don't have very good synergy so I found it's also hard to pass against heavy offensive pressure.

The Great and Mighty Doom- Thanks for the thorough rate! I'm currently testing Hippodown and Starmie over Ttar and Gliscor. So far it has been working pretty well, and has really help in preventing me from being swept by Landorus. Starmie also is helping greatly against Mamoswine. I might change Starmie's item to Leftovers or give it Recover, since I'm finding that Sandstorm and Entry Hazard damage wears it down relatively quickly, even with Rapid Spin. However, I find not having Ttar leaves me weak to Sun teams, because boosted Volcarona and Venusaur can both KO Hippodown after Stealth Rocks. Without Gliscor, my team also becomes weak to strong physical attacks, such as Banded Terrakion's Close Combat, as Hippodown cannot easily switch in and gets worn down easily without Slack Off. Hopefully, replacing Ice Fang with Slack Off will help fix that problem.

Hey Moonclawz! This is an awesome team!

As mentioned before, Volcarona totaly destroys your team after one or two Quiver Dances. The best way to counter Volcarona is having Stealth Rocks on the field, in order to chip away half of Volcarona's health. To get the Stealth Rocks in safely, I would recommend to run a more defensive version of Tyranitar:

Despotar @ Focus Sash / Leftovers / Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 208 SDef / 20 SAtk
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

The Focus Sash is for all those Hydreigon and Gengar leads, who usually run Focus Blast. Chople Berry can be an alternative, but it is situational. Or just use the Leftovers if you feel confident in dealing with Tyranitar's threats. You can also run Superpower over Ice Beam, but the overall coverage would be a bit more redundant with Fire Blast.

Furthermore I recommend you a Spin Blocker, which has good synergy with your team. I would recommend you to use Gengar over Latios. Gengar is just as fast as Latios and they share almost the same weaknesses and Gengar even provides your team with an always useful Normal- and Fighting immunity, as well as immunity to ground due to Levitate. Furthermore, just as Latios, Gengar lures in Dark types, perfect bait for your Justified-Lucario.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Shadow Ball and Focus Blast provide good coverage, Thunderbolt allows you to hit Skarmory and Forretress more accurate. You can also run HP Fire/Ice over Thunderbolt, but due to the drop of the Speed DVs to 30 you will lose the speed tie with Choice Scarf Latios and opposing scarfed Gengars. Trick ruins Blissey, Ferrothorn, and the rare Snorlax and Regice, and it locks boosting sweepers (Volcarona!!) into their set-up move.

These are just some suggestions, I hope I could help you a bit.;)

Greetz, Dr. A

Dr. A - Thanks for you rate! Lead Ttar seems interesting but I feel that I need Ttar survive for the length of the game, as I really need it to take special attacks and counter the Lati twins. Ice beam is really useful though, as it allows me to get rid of Gliscor and Lando-T on the switch which makes Lucario's job a lot easier. I'm currently testing adding Ice Beam on Mew. After testing Gengar, I found it works really well as a spinblocker, but it makes me weak to Dragon Dancers as I usually rely on Latios to revenge them. I also need Latios for rain teams, as Ferrothorn can only take so much Hydro Pump spam.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not saying for sure who's better on this team, but on Scarf Gengar, HP Ice is absolutely non-negotiable. Revenge killing DDNite/Mence and even ScarfMence is mandatory in this metagame. In addition, it hits Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T, all of whom are OHKOed by HP Ice but not OHKOed by Shadow Ball. Thunderbolt helps for revenge killing Gyarados and Scarf Keldeo, but it should never be used over HP Ice for any reason. Thunderbolt should only ever be used over Trick, which is a far more negotiable move.

I'm not saying you absolutely should use Scarf Gengar, but I'd re-test it with HP Ice. Your team could really use a spinblocker without sacrificing a revenge killer. However, if you do decide to use Gengar over Latios, I'd consider replacing Gliscor with some kind of Water resist that can take on Keldeo effectively (Starmie, Latias, etc.) though it's not like Latios is an effective Water resist anyway.

Good Team! Looks fun to use too. One thing is your lucario will enjoy Bullet punch > Ice punch as gengar (which your team is weak too) will put a complete halt to lucario's sweep otherwise same deal with rock types. Tyranitar traps and kills jellicent so make sure thats done before you set up.

ZucaroarkZ - Thanks for your rate! I've tested Gengar and it's worked pretty well, but I'm not sure what water-resist I should use without leaving me overly weak to U-turn spam, as Starmie and Latias both are weak to bug, and without Gliscor, Gengar would be my only bug-type resist. Gliscor is need to take hits from physical attackers and Gengar would be worn down really quickly from U-turn.

Teravoltage- Thanks for your rate! I haven't seen a lot of Gengar, and I definitely have seen a lot of Lando-T so I'll be keeping Ice Punch for now. I might change it later though (since removing Gliscor leaves me weak to Terrakion), if I find that Ttar and Scarf Gengar don't really handle opposing Gengar well. If I predict correctly, Gengar doesn't become too much of a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)