Luddite Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Textile Factory Attacked by Vandals
Nottinghamshire
November 19, 1811

A small town in Nottinghamshire was left in shock yesterday as a group of several vandals, calling themselves General Ludd's Army, broke into a textile factory during the night and began smashing the machinery inside using hammers. One person is in critical condition after trying to stop the attackers and subsequently being savagely beaten with hammers and stomped on.

The motive for the attack appears to be the way in which the factory owner treated the workers. According to one worker who has anonymously contacted me, the workers would have to work for as much as sixteen hours at a time and only got one meal break in the middle of the day. The factory was cramped, dusty, and infested with mice. The worker also said that the new weaving machines were often unsafe to operate and had cost some workers fingers if they got them stuck in parts of the machinery. The workers were exposed to fumes from sometimes toxic dyes and chemicals.

There has also been public uproar over the attacks. Some people have sided with the attackers, calling them Nottinghamshire's new Robin Hoods who protect the downtrodden from the cruelty of the rich. But the majority of the villagers disagree with the aims of General Ludd's Army.

The factory owner said in an interview, "Why destroy the factories and their machinery, when they have been so obviously a boon to the economy? Just in the past few years there has been an explosion of families and businesses coming here when there used to be fewer, and the middle class has started to grow much more than it has in the past. Attacking the factories is irrational and counterproductive."

The namesake of General Ludd's Army is Ned Ludd, an weaver from the area who is probably fictitous but may have existed at one point. Ned Ludd is said to have destroyed weaving equipment while working, and so General Ludd's soldiers sometimes refer to their group as Ned Ludd.

The police currently have no leads as to the crime committed at the factory.
The mysterious figure put down the newspaper article and smiled. A day had passed since the attack on the textile mill and already the town was like a shaken nest. Neighbor had turned against neighbor, everybody was making accusations. Business had ground to a halt and stores were closed, miners were out of the mines, businessmen were out of their offices, and every person in the town was riled up over the attacks.

After so many years of nothing, the mysterious figure thought, this was going to be fun indeed...

Dear <snip>,
You are the Factory Owner.

You are a stereotypical greed-is-good, regulation-hating capitalist and are the owner of several clothing factories. Your policy of low wages and unsafe equipment (hey, it saves money, right?) don’t make you very popular with the workers, though. General Ludd’s army has taken its revenge, starting a campaign of vandalism, blackmail, and sometimes murder, targeting companies such as yours. After Ludd’s soldiers destroyed all the machinery in one of your factories you have been angry at those protectionist economy-shrinkers and will take any means necessary to stop them.

As the owner of the town’s largest textile mill, you are filthy rich and in a position of power in the community, making your vote count double during the day.

You are allied with the villagers. You win if the villagers win.
Dear <snip>,
You are the Weaver’s Apprentice.

Until the textile factory went up, the master weaver was teaching you his art. But now all the manual weavers are out of work and have been replaced by weaving machines, and you have to spend long periods every day manning those machines as your new job. Fed up with the long hours, dangerous conditions and meager pay, you have joined your former teacher and become one of General Ludd’s soldiers. Now fight to restore the ancient way!

Other than being able to kill for your faction you have no special abilities. Once a night you may PM me saying whom you are killing and how (Your method needs to be possible). But General Ludd’s Army only can kill one player a night, so your kill negates any kills made by your faction earlier that night.

Your partners are <snip>, <snip>, <snip>, and <snip>.

You are allied with General Ludd’s Army. You win if General Ludd’s Army wins.
Dear <snip>,
You are the Psychopath.

Here in 1811, the state of psychiatry sure isn’t very good. The field has hardly been established yet, and most of the treatments just leave the patient even more insane than they were to begin with. As a violent, antisocial lunatic, you have been subject to many such experiments and consequently have become highly dangerous to everybody. You relish in the suffering of others and are immune to any sort of ethics, and will not stop your killing spree until there is nobody else in the town alive.

Each night, you may send a PM to me saying which player you want to kill, and how to kill them (It has to be possible, though, so keep in mind that it is 1811).

You are allied with nobody but yourself. You win when you are the last player alive.
Rules List
  • READ THIS ONE - If you are dead and a member of the village, you may NOT talk to players still in the game. Members of General Ludd's Army may talk to their allies, but nobody else. There may be a role that interacts with this rule later in the game.
  • The game will start on Night 1. On Night 1 you cannot post your role PM to anyone, unless you are mafia in the same alliance.
  • Days will last either 48 hours or 24 hours after the first lynch vote is cast. However I am only human so I may be late to update.
  • Nights will last either 48 hours or until all pms are received.
  • All pms should be sent to Staraptor Call.
  • If you do not wish to use a day or night ability you should send a pm to me stating "Day/Night X - Idling"
  • No screenshots of any kind may be distributed at all.
  • You may c/p anything that I say to you, which means you can fake conversations with me.
  • I should be notified of all channels, spreadsheets, google docs, paste bins, etc that you create.
  • There will be no items in this game.
  • Priorities are set and kept secret.
  • If you wish to change your vote during lynch you must edit the post containing your initial vote.
  • Please remain active. Don't join if you foresee yourself being away for any extended amount of time. I really hate subbing people out but I will do so if I deem you inactive (I will nudge you first).
  • This game has been approved by AvatarST.
Players
1. umbreon_dan Replaced by Tolos
2. kharozz
3. Annihilator zero
4. Tenken
5. matty Replaced by Explorerace
6. lanterminator
7. SoT
8. GTS
9. dachickens
10. jumpluff (Killed Night 1)
11. thunda
12. Xyphang
13. Thorns (Killed Night 1)
14. Sidd Replaced by Kannon
15. Da Letter El
16. Mordock
17. Deck Knight
18. ap13095
19. Sanjay120

It is now Night 1. All Night 1 kills are valid.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh Boy I'm excited for this game.

This game I'd like to lead the village. I am a plain ole' vanilla villager (yippe -_-) I have my role PM (for Day 1 since we can't post em yet) if anyone wants to make sure I'm not mafia. We need to quickly organize. Games where people don't usually end up in the favor of the mafia. PM me since my IRC is currently not working. Thanks

EDIT: Err nvm didn't see Laterminator post. We need to talk...

I don't suggest you claim to a vanilla villager or someone who hasn't even given you a role.

From the flavour text and the theme, I have a strong feeling that there are two bodyguards in this game. If there are, I'd like him to claim asap. Any other villagers that want to chat are welcome to do so as well!

Sorry don't really know anyone here, but if you want, you can contact me. Most of my thoughts will probably be in thread though, since that is what I am used to.

1. Is it normal to reveal the factions at the beginning like that? I guess it can prevent comparing the last line or something, so just wondering.

Umbreon Dan-Why do you want a protector to claim early? That just seems like a bad idea, since he'd be an easy target, and much better to kill than all of these vanilla claims.

Xyphang-Right choice on what? It just seems like a wierd thing to mention.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh Boy I'm excited for this game.

This game I'd like to lead the village. I am a plain ole' vanilla villager (yippe -_-) I have my role PM (for Day 1 since we can't post em yet) if anyone wants to make sure I'm not mafia. We need to quickly organize. Games where people don't usually end up in the favor of the mafia. PM me since my IRC is currently not working. Thanks

EDIT: Err nvm didn't see Laterminator post. We need to talk...
How do we know we can trust you though? What if you were given a fake role PM to trick us? Also there are many IRC clients. Chatzilla is what I use.

Villagers should PM me. I cannot reveal the extent or content of my ability but rest assured it could be quite critical for reasons obvious to me.

Guys seriously I have 3 contacts. If you want to be cleaned, send me a pm immediately. Also, I would like the bg on me and to tell me who they are. Much appreciated.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How do we know we can trust you though? What if you were given a fake role PM to trick us? Also there are many IRC clients. Chatzilla is what I use.

Villagers should PM me. I cannot reveal the extent or content of my ability but rest assured it could be quite critical for reasons obvious to me.

Obviously, if I'm a Vanilla Villager, I'm easily disposable and having me die isn't the end of the game for the village. + I can't do anything except vote so I might as well set up the village. For right now, I'm fine with letting Laterminator lead. We need just 1 person right now. However, I am NOT ok with you leading a village like how LN does so if it comes to that point, I will have no problems trying and taking control from you. I can't stand those types of games

DK, I know how to use IRC. I can't use it on the school network -_-

this will probably make people distrust me even though i'm just statng the obvious, but i would just like to say that it's ridiculously premature to claim, and if you havent claimed yet, keep it that way.

wait until we see what the lynch brings. that should at least narrow it down. ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)