ORAS UU M.A.A.D. City

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

s/o Accelgor for the banner <3

Hey guys, after about a month of taking a break from writing RMTs, the Hydreigon suspect came up. Hydreigon is one of my favorite Pokemon, although it was unhealthy for the tier, so I really wanted to get the requirements to vote in this test. I then set out to build one of my favorite archetypes, which is spike stacking VoltTurn. It uses fast U-turn users to force switches, and the opponent gets pressured by both hazards and my momentum created by the pivots. I didn't really want to include a spinblocker though, because spinners like Mega Blastoise can pressure the most common spinblockers. Instead, I went with an approach that punishes the opponent if they try to clear hazards by giving set-up opportunities for Gyarados and Conkeldurr. Spinners like Tentacruel and Forretress give free opportunities for Conkeldurr and Gyarados to set up, and Defoggers like Mandibuzz and Crobat are bait for Conkeldurr and Gyarados, respectively. With all of the momentum though, I still wanted a defensive backbone that I could throw at threats, so the hazard stacking core was made to be mostly defensive and soak up as many hits as possible. All of it came together, and I was able to pretty comfortably get reqs and get a pretty decent peak on the suspect ladder at the #2 spot. Enjoy :]

disclaimer: this team was built for non-Hydreigon meta, for the suspect ladder

I started out with a core of Beedrill and Conkeldurr because Beedrill forces Steel types in, which Conkeldurr can pressure and capitalize on, which creates set-up opportunities. Conkeldurr really struggles with Pokemon like Whimsicott, Celebi, Sylveon, and Florges which Beedrill does an excellent job of pressuring with its Bug / Poison STABs.

Scarf Celebi came in to lure Crobat and provide a fantastic speed tier, also checking a weakened Gyarados at +1 and Feraligatr as well. It outspeeds most everything in the unboosted metagame bar Scarf Mienshao and Scarf Infernape. Also provides my own Celebi check, and can chip it with U-turn. Healing Wish support gives Conkeldurr, Beedrill, and Gyarados second chances to break teams / sweep. It also provides one of the best Scald switch-ins in the tier if you don't want Conkeldurr to get worn down.

I knew I wanted another win condition, preferably a fast one, and Intimidate support was really appealing to deal with powerful attackers and create set-up opportunities. Gyarados also provided a fire resist, albeit not a great one, it was nice to have in the back because I was rather weak to threats like Infernape. Dragon Dance Gyarados benefits from VoltTurn in order to get good match-ups and set-up opportunities.

I think VoltTurn really benefits from hazard stacking and controlling hazards throughout the match the minimize passive damage that the team takes pivoting around and have a defensive core to throw threats at. Swampert was the rocker and phazer so I don't autolose to set-up sweepers, and Forretress provided hazard removal, which is pretty important for teams like these.

m.a.a.d. (Beedrill-Mega) @ Beedrillite

Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Beedrill is essential for any team utilizing VoltTurn because its STAB U-turn is one of the most spammable moves in the tier due to the fact that it can easily pivot out of bad match-ups and has Adaptability which allows to hit extremely hard. Poison Jab is standard STAB that hits extremely hard and allows Beedrill to easily pressure Sylveon, Florges, and Celebi (without having to switch out), and it allows Beedrill to comfortably clean late game. Beedrill's incredible speed tier gives it a good match-up vs. faster, frailer teams. Drill Run picks off common Poison, Fire, and Steel types, like Empoleon (after a potential Shuca has been removed), Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Chandelure, and Cobalion (most common matchups). Beedrill grabs momentum with U-turn, and I like the lead with it often and play aggressively with it. The opponent tends to like to set-up Stealth Rock on the expected Protect, so I usually U-turn first turn without protecting in order to prevent free turns and gaining momentum. Beedrill is usually there to threaten stuff and pivot around until it is safe to clean late game.

vibe (Conkeldurr) @ Leftovers

Ability: Guts
EVs: 200 HP / 240 Atk / 24 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Conkeldurr is absolutely fantastic in this meta with good bulk and and a nice set-up move with Bulk Up, paired with recovery and utility that allows it sweep lots of unprepared teams. Drain Punch is Conk's main form of recovery, albeit unreliable, greatly improves its longevity. Knock Off wears down common switch-ins, like Swampert, Sylveon, and Forretress. This is also one of my main ways of reliably dealing with CroCune, because Conk doesn't mind the burn and can 2hko w/ Guts Boost at +1 atk. I realize that the spread is non-standard, but I went for a more offensive Bulk Up set because I liked having the stronger Mach Punch, and it can still apply pressure without having to boost. Having Attack investment allows it to beat other Bulk Up Conkeldurr 1v1. 200 HP hits a Lefties number, and 24 SpD allows Conkeldurr to survive a non-Life Orb Psychic from Celebi at full. 44 Speed creeps Base 50 Pokemon like Sableye, and also gives a nice creep for other Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr checks stuff like Krookodile and Mandibuzz (non-Brave Bird variants).

money trees (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

Celebi was added as some speed control and to for a TurnTurn core with Mega Beedrill, which allows me to keep up momentum versus the opponent and continually pivot between the two, as long as I'm faster than the opponent. I noticed a big threat to things like Gyarados, Feraligatr, and Adamant Cloyster so I added Choice Scarf Celebi as a relatively safe check to Speed Boosting set-up Pokemon as long as I keep them at +1, (or +2 in Cloyster's case). Leaf Storm is STAB, because Giga Drain is too weak, and Psychic is reliable STAB too. U-turn is mandatory imo, which allows Celebi to pivot with ease. Healing Wish support is greatly appreciated on this team, and it has won me many games through giving either Gyarados on Conkeldurr second lives and giving them chances to sweep. Celebi is also a nice pivot into Bulky Waters, because of its great natural bulk and Natural Cure, which allows it to mitigate status. The defensive utility Celebi provides by checking many things like waters, other Celebi, and some Fighting types makes it an optimal spot for a Scarfer on this team. Max SpA and Speed with a Timid nature is standard, which makes it as hard hitting and fast as possible.

swimming pools (Gyarados) @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Gyarados was a pretty easy pick because I needed a speed booster, but I also needed a decent Fire-type check, which Gyarados does relatively well with Intimidate and overall natural bulk. It provides a nice Fighting Check, which in some cases makes it a better NP variant of Infernape check. Substitute lets it set up on more passive Pokemon, like non-Haze Tentacruel, Bronzong, Gligar, Don(g)phan, etc. Dragon Dance is standard boosting which allows it to break teams for Conkeldurr and Beedrill to clean, or clean on its own. Waterfall and Bounce are STAB, but you can choose to run different coverage options, although just standard STAB works best imo. Leftovers gives Gyarados passive recovery, which greatly improves its longevity while setting up. Gyarados is nice because it can serve as a midgame breaker or cleaner, which is interchangeable with Conkeldurr, just depending on the opposing team. Overall, the set is pretty standard, but it plays in integral role on the team.

backseat (Swampert) @ Leftovers

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Swampert is the first part of the hazard stack defensive core, and I chose it mainly because of its typing and movepool. A phaser was necessary because of the amount of set-up Pokemon in the tier, and although they usually don't get many opportunities to set up, Roar is a nice tool to have in the back as an emergency button. It provides a really solid Electric Immunity, which deters attackers like Rotom and Helio from clicking Volt Switch, and also improves my match-up versus opposing VoltTurn teams. Most importantly, it gave me a really solid Fire check, which was greatly needed. I basically throw it at most physical threats, and it absorbs most of the attacks I just throw it at. It gives the team a reliable Stealth Rock setter, and chips and spreads burns with Scald and Earthquake, both reliable STAB moves. Swampert's typing and bulk makes it a premier physical wall, and it synergizes well with Forretress, so it was an easy pick for the team.

alright (Forretress) @ Leftovers

Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Heavy Slam

Forretress was added as a spike setter, rapid spinner, and specially defensive pivot. He checks Specs Sylveon, and generally acts as the sole reliable fairy switch-in on the team. Heavy Slam is for 2hko'ing or ohko'ing a majority of Fairy types in the tier, and Volt Switch forms the VoltTurn core with Celebi and Beedrill. He checks Nasty Plot Celebi, and slow Volt Switch allows Forry to tank a hit and bring in Beedrill to revenge. Forretress also checks special attackers like Mega Sceptile and Kyurem. It's the sole Dragon resist on the team so I throw it at most Dragon types. Spikes chip the opposing team or force them to spin / defog, which gives me opportunities to take advantage of it and set-up / remove one of their key components of the team. Volt Switch allows Forretress to grab momentum and pivot, safely bringing in other team members. Volt Switch is especially helpful versus spinblockers, drawing them in for other members of the team to eliminate.
+
- Celepass is a bitch to deal with because Celebi threatens my phaser and Absol can carry coverage for my only dark resist. If Sharpedo gets a Speed Boost up then Celebi can't outspeed after Mega (only if Jolly).

I don't have a Flying resist so Flying Spam or even Specs / Banded Flying Pokemon are a real pain for this team to deal with.

CroCune is annoying, even though I have solid answers in Celebi and Conkeldurr, it can still get out of hand.

Special attackers carrying Fire Coverage are a real bitch for this team to deal with, especially Azelf because it carries Grass Coverage sometimes too. As for Infernape mixed or Nasty Plot variants only.

The Nidos are annoying for almost every team to deal with, and there's not exception here. Their coverage and power allows them to 2hko Forretress, which can't really even touch them, and threaten almost every single team member.

This thing's coverage and power allows it to threaten Celebi and 2hko Forretress after rocks, making it a huge threat for this team to handle. Can revenge with Celebi, but usually have to sack stuff.

lobby - Elec. Foxyy Scytaire LifeisDANK fx SpaceCake Frank Enzo Tenshi Nagae i dont think anyone else wants to be tagged here but let me know :]

uu squad - Accelgor Malevolent Spirit BIAF SPEBSQSA HigherPlaces @A Cancer On FLEEK CBU ehat Finding True Love Mr. Highways Rojava microwave oven Threw soph sux but uu is lit

om squad - E4 Flint InfernapeTropius11 morogrim Chloe. Betathunder Ransei Kris Amoonguss RandomBattla ur not really om but its fine
fun guys
if I missed anyone my bad :[

vibe (Conkeldurr) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 200 HP / 240 Atk / 24 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

m.a.a.d. (Beedrill-Mega) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

backseat (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

swimming pools (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

money trees (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

alright (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Heavy Slam

In conclusion this team was really fun to build and play with, and I think it saw decent success on the ladder, so I was really excited to post it here. I think it really represents my personal playstyle, and the archetype itself is rather unique, because I couldn't really fit it into one description like BO, Balance, or VoltTurn. I had a lot of fun playing with this team and writing this RMT, and I hope you guys enjoyed it. Thanks for reading :]

-pdt

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yo yo PDT, as promised I have come to leave a rate!

-Now I looked your team up and down and there wasn't much I felt like I could do without taking the team in a different direction, but for the sake of it ill give some advice anyways. So I looked at your sp.attacker match up in general and I was honestly thinking "damn this dude must hate seeing anything that aint physical at team preview". So to try and mitigate this in another way I thought maybe we could do a few changes in:
------------>

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• See my thought process in running lax is that it gives you:
    • a nidos answer
    • takes pressure off of swampert when dealing with entei+aero cores
    • is a special answer in general
  • With that in mind a lot of the team gets some breathing room since pert can handle crobat or an aero during a match while lax deals with an entei for example. So now you're wondering how do we smash opposing steels?
-Well our next move could be to shuffle our win condition sets around by doing this:

swimming pools (Gyarados) @ Charti Berry
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

• By giving gyara a charti berry we can lure in aero which is a pain in the ass for your team. The earthquake allows you to break steels that might try to get in the way of your beedrill.
-Now if the overall attempt is successful we have basically removed most of the threats to your team which can leave celebi a chance to aid lax in breaking down some mons that can get in its way like crocune by running:

money trees (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball / earth power
- Giga Drain

• Celebi can worry less about mons like crobat and aero with pert and forretress having to deal with less pressure from physical spam and it can keep itself healthier with giga drain as sustainability. The shadowball lets you break mons like bronzong or metagross which I dont think are that much of a problem for you, so maybe earth power may be more beneficial to damage mons like cobalion.
To be honest your team looked fine, but it did struggle with special attackers. My issue with trying to fix the problem was that if we tried making conk sp.def it still wouldnt really give you an answer to the nidos, and if we made it av you would lose a win condition in conk which may work to be honest but you'd still be quite weak to any sort of flying core. Still though I liked you team and its concept so these changes are really just here if you want to give it a go. Good luck and have fun n_n!

The only issue with EQ reliance is that a lot of steels these days like Shuca. Fighting coverage is more reliable against them.

I did a good bit of my REQs for the Suspect Ladder with this team including my last 3 in a row, and it's very user friendly. Before using this team I was very weary of scarf Celebi...but now I see that it is a very strong set, especially with its ability to pivot on status and stay healthy for a clutch late game Healing Wish.

I didn't find the team too Nido weak in my playthrough; I was usually able to force Nidos in on my Gyara sub, which allowed me to punish both King and Queen. I'm a sucker for Bee teams so this one was right for my playstyle :)

Enjoyed it greatly, as well as the in-depth discussion of your team members. Keep on making awesome teams ^_^

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Hey thanks for responding Capt. KnightWalker I appreciate the feedback. I don't see Chandelure as too much of a threat honestly because no set it can run outspeeds Beedrill, which can pick it off after rocks, and it doesn't really threaten anything except for Swampert with Energy Ball which is usually pretty obvious and Forry which is also easy to play around. Losing Drill Run makes me weaker to the Nidos, and it can still deal with Chandy too.

All in all it's pretty easy to play around and weaken, which allows me to pick it off pretty easily. Yes I see how it's a threat (which is why it's in the threatlist), but I don't see it as so much of a problem to change to pursuit or change Megas completely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)