Madre Terra - An OU Sandstorm Team

This team's really shaping up ever since I first saw it. I've been working together with BST with a more defensive variant of this team, and it's working well; though I don't know exactly, he said there's a possibility of this team transitioning to a more semi-stall, or his version of it; quickstall, while he's at it (he said he'll be releasing the document in about a week). I can't see how this team would evolve, but I can say I'm definitely voting this for the Archives once it's done; so many players have started to use variants of this on PO at least, and I can honestly say this is one of, if not the, best bulky offense teams in Generation 6.

Haha, i was thinking of actually sending the current team out to RMT Archives just a minute ago (though since there's the possibility of a team overhaul, it wouldn't be good to stop it at this stage, i think). I've actually been testing Rotom-H; sorry to discourage you, Ogami, but it definitely needs some sort of antihazard support to be of any use. Good to resist Electric, tho.

Hey no discouragement at all Pawniard. No doubt Rotom-Heat would need hazard support, which is something I'm not sure this team wants to have to worry about in terms of sr weakness. Not having a spinner/defogger can work if you're hammering on you're opponents door from the get go with pokemon that aren't bothered by common hazards too much. Or you're taunting them. On that note, Hippowdon sorely misses the support attributes that Gliscor brings to the table and it hasn't taken me long to rethink my position on him, at least for how the team in its current iteration plays. I am behind giving Tyranitar more offensive options, and to that end I think that Choice Specs Rotom-Wash is an interesting thought in how to break past enemy rotom at a faster pace while maintaining enough bulk to take advantage of the myriad resistances it brings to the table for the team.

Yeah trick helps the Rotom-Wash set a lot. The reason Rotom-Heat intrigues me is because pokemon that can plague Specs Wash are the Grass/Ghosts and ferrothorn. HEat doesn't care about them (which is even more useful for Azumarill who can't do everything and likes the help) and so can run either coverage or thunderbolt alongside trick. That said Rotom Wash's typing is way superior for this team in its current form so I wouldn't really mess with that. Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball can also be run as coverage for the grass ghosts, as they can be really hard to break if given a free turn.

To elaborate on my point earlier about breaking past Rotom, I often feel it's a losing situation when my Rotom is the answer to an opponent's Rotom, as the team can't wait around for Rotom to wow back to start grinding, heal itself and keep the momentum up. Specs is a way to keep your own Rotom in for a shorter amount of time if you needed to absorb a wow, mitigaiting burn damage, and it deals a hefty chunk to the mostly physically defensive Rotom out there leaving them at around half hp. At this point you can be almost certain that the volt switch is coming and use that to your advantage accordingly.

Last edited:
You just made me think of a good point; though healthy +2 Talonflame easily sweeps this team, a Specs Rotom-W with proper investment should be able to take just about any hit while KO'ing back with Volt Switch, which the defensive version can't do (especially if Talonflame has Acrobatics and doesn't get recoil so Genesect can't take it out with ESpeed). I'm slowly being sold on the Specs Rotom-W. Alright Ogami, I'll make the switch after a few more days of testing. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: Hmm, I've been looking at Remedy's thread on team staples. This may make for a good reference for deciding Rotom-W's set and other misc changes.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-teams-staples-post-29.3495114/

I used Specs Rotom on almost every team I made with the introduction of the new gen and I can say I've killed a lot of Talon that think they can roost in my face, only to be ohkod by volt switch no matter what. It definitely pushes the team further into offense with a mind for capitalizing on momentum with your huge wallbreakers. The one area I've noticed where Specs Rotom loses out against Lefties or Chesto Rest is he can't win back momentum when he's forced to grind. which is what the other builds are made to do. Not sure if that will end up being beneficial, but at least it's a change from the stock rotom lists that feel a little underwhelming on this team.

Alright. I've made a couple of large decisions, and thought it'll be nice to post them here before starting the time-consuming task of rewriting my 500-word descriptions -_-.

First of all, after extensive testing I found that Gliscor is overall a much better help to the team than Hippowdon, even with its sand-inducing capabilities. So Gliscor is now a permanent member of the team, as is (without question) Garchomp and Genesect.

Next off, I'll be (for now) changing Rotom-W to a Specs variant, but one with very defensive EVs, so if it tricks off Specs for a Leftovers (common), it can assume a defensive role. This was a nice brainwave on my part; with a moveset of HPump, VSwitch, Trick and WillOWisp, I can assume an offensive role, take down a wall with Trick, then assume a defensive role if necessary. Like previous changes, I'll need a little time to change my descriptions to the appropriate set.

I do believe this team is very nearly done, with just a few more adjustments on Tyranitar and perhaps Azumarill necessary. Right now, my prime concern is the moveset for Tyranitar; though it has excellent wallbreaking coverage, that's fulfilled by Fire Blast Garchomp anyway, and the newly added Azumarill destroys Gliscor, which was the prime reason for Ice Beam. I'm thinking of replacing Ice Beam for Crunch so it can reliably 2HKO Latias without being (ironically) walled by a CM variant.

I appreciate any help for the last tidbits, so this team can at last be finalised. I thank you all for helping out so much, and hope that you will continue to contribute in the future.

EDIT: Updated description for Tyranitar, Crunch > Ice Beam. Still yet to update Rotom-W, since it's a complete overhaul of its set.

Last edited:
The idea behind swapping to Specs Rotom is very interesting, especially with how important his Volt Switch hilarity is for giving your team the momentum it needs. I could see that working quite well and the loss of bulk shouldn't be too missed since you also have TTar/Gliscor as a way for dealing with the currently-common Talonflame. I'm quite interested to see how that works for you.

Speaking of TTar: I definitely feel like going fully Physical (or at least Phy. + Fire Blast) will preform well for you, namely the addition of Pursuit and Crunch. As you have said, Fire Blast/Ice Beam have their usefulness somewhat dwindled due to solid Teammates that can cover the same threats. Pursuit Trapping and a spammable, now-non-Steel resisted STAB are both fantastic traits for him coming off of that massive 134 Base Atk. Another great option is Rock Slide/Stone Edge to still give you a way to dent Flyers, such as DNite/Mence, that Ice Beam also had helped provide and even grands you coverage over Volcarona if it dare try to Set Up in your face. Careful/Sassy would work best for this with a simple 252 / 252 / 4 Spread (unless you need that 44 Speed. what's that for out of curiosity?)

EDIT: Ahh, now the Speed makes sense. Not sure why I didn't even consider Scizor as the possible reason.

Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful / Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Fire Blast

Last edited:
After playing specs rotom for a while I'd say it's not the best move to attempt to trick away your item as soon as possible to resume your status as a more normal Rotom. Until you start playing it like a specs Rotom, and letting your opponent feel comfortable in its inability to switch moves, they are likely to switch in their special attackers. This is usually because they want to absorb a wow from the chestorest build, or think they have the resistances to sponge Rotom's attacks. Specs volt switches and hydropumps surprise these opponents for really good damage and train your opponent to send in their special wall next time.

As for Tyranitar, I love having both Ice Beam and Fireblast. Everyone Expects Stone Edge/Crunch and Pursuit, so after revealing SR and one of them the opponent often doesn't expect the other coverage move. That certainly puts it in a tough spot for its last move but I'd say it's a toss up between Pursuit(throwing around crunches can be dangerous with Lucario everywhere looking to get that justified boost) and Stone Edge(This one only if killing Talonflame/Charizard Y is very important for this mon to accomplish in one hit)

In my opinion, Roar is somewhat subpar on TTar overall. I find that it has much more utility on things like Hippo or Skarm (Whirlwind in that case) that can easily take a hit while also possessing the ability to recover off the damage which is something TTar only dreams he could do. TTar, on the other hand, functions much better if he can come in, tank a hit, and attempt to eliminate the problem himself. He can also cause switches fairly easily thanks to his great Bulk (BB/FB Locked/SD+Roost Talonflame, Starmie that want to play safe, Lati@s, etc) which is why I personally love Pursuit on him so much, more so than last Gen even.

Newbie here trying out this team, trying to figure out the kind of team i'll build on my own. Gotta say for the longest time i've been wanting to get rid of garchomp, he just always seems to get countered hard and there was little i could switch him into while having sandstorm running that still wouldn't just 2hko him. But then this http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-71512771 happened (bare in mind im an old timer trying to pick up the competitive thing). I switched gliscor to be more of an annoying staller than something i'd use for damage, seems to get him more mileage and force more favorable switches for myself. And for some reason it wouldn't let me battle with genesect so i swapped him for a capable sweeper in the form of talon flame (he wins most of my games, but the lack of defog screwed me).

So, respects to you for building this team. Loving the crap out of it and its pretty flexible.

Yeah, that's been a longtime problem for this team. But then again, completely countering Genesect is fully impossible, especially since it can always U-Turn to a check and the inclusion of a Heatran would make this team become much closer to stall. I've always found that Heatran was a bit too unreliable without Wish support for my taste, and I don't really think it's gonna synergise well with the team. My strategy against it is to wear it down gradually while forcing it out depending on which set it runs.

Indeed, Garchomp can also serve as a sweeper against slow but bulkier teams Genesect can't break through. I often save him for that purpose.

MAJOR UPDATE: I'll be changing Tyranitar's Roar to Rock Slide or Pursuit; change description later. Thanks for the advice Steelstorm.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I figured I would rate this since I happen to see it all the time now. Quite honestly, I fail to see the hype, you are incredibly weak to Rotom, Azumarill breaks through you quite easily, and if you let it in, KS Aegis does some work. Thats actually not hard considering your win condition is Genesect. Mega Venusaur is also a problem. From what it looks like, you quite simply try and sweep with Shift Gear Genesect. Thats cool and all, but a lot of people actually give the SpA boost, so they dont eat a stronger U-Turn, and because Rock Polish isnt nearly as good as it was last gen. You use Azumarill and Mega Chomp to break through walls, which is nice until you realize they can be walled by common walls like Rotom or Skarmory. Your team also does NOT want to face Thunderus I. Nothing on your team wants to take on a focus blast/ Thunder Wave/ HP Ice/ Thunderbolt variant, one of the more common movesets out there.

First off it just amazes me how weak you are to Rotom-w. especially with all the hype surrounding this team. Nothing wants to eat a WoW. Nothing. ChestoResto variants even get past Gliscor, who is there to toxic it, only is hit extremely hard by hydro pump. And I have to be honest, that seems like the weak link here. I recommend Trevenant so you can beat up on Rotom, Azumarill, and Thunderus, as with Natural Cure you hard counter Rotom and can Leech Seed to heal up or switch to a teammate for psuedo passing. A specially defensive set is preferred, I'll let you come up with the EVs, as i dont want to bc its fking 4 o clock here. A moveset of Horn Leech/Leech Seed/ Will-o-Wisp/ Shadow Sneak should do you well, or you can run Sub in the last alot if you feel like it. Gliscor doesnt seem to do much except Toxic things, and thats great and all, but the metagame took a huge shift towards switching, so in the long run burn is actually more beneficial, as it is in the short run too.

There is absolutely no reason to run roar on Tyranitar. What are trying to stop from setting up on you? Lucario? Terrakion? You would be better off running Pursuit or Rock Slide to smack around Thunderus and Charizard. Speaking of which, I would also run Chople Berry as it lets you eat a focus blast from something and KO back.

Lastly, I dont see the need for SpecsTom. Choiced items can be a great liability in a fast paced meta such as this one, and you can trick yes, but its only asking for a Mega Evolution to come in and set up. I would switch that to Defensive Rotom. This gives you a second Talonflame check, as well as a hard counter to Mega Pinsir. Something you desperately need. The ability to switch mves is a boon, and you dont need a tricker/stall breaker because you have Mega Garchomp, who manhandles stall teams. Im too tired to add any sets, but have a Merry Christmas, i hope I helped with your team!

Last edited:
I've been using (a slight variant) of this team quite frequently over the past few days, and I have to say I've been very impressed with its performance. TTar is a great lead (and anti-lead - numerous rage quits have been had by crunching/fire blasting their Forretress/Ferrothorn/Deo).

I do have to agree with TCR above; Gliscor seemed like the weak link here. Rather than go more defensive, I went with Sand Rush Excadrill. Doesn't really help the team's fear of burn, but damn can he eat through a lot of common threats. Running him with Mold Breaker might be something to consider and would help with Rotom-W. Earthquaking all the things, with Rock Slide and Iron Head for flinches/stab/coverage, and Rapid Spin support has been very beneficial.

I also just started experimenting with U-Turn instead of Shift Gears on Genesect, as I found I was consistently lacking a turn to set-up, or when I did, it was usually unnecessary. Flamethrower in place of Blaze Kick helps against the defensive steel types you'd want to KO (same argument for Fire Blast on 'Chomps and TTar) and gives you something to use the SpA boosts you download on.

Other than burn ruining 2/3's of the team (Rotom an TTar don't really care), more than one or two bulky waters or really stall-heavy teams are what mostly gave me trouble. Outside of Volt Switch, the team can't really hit water types for anything. Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Thunderbolt could be useful instead of Blaze Kick (/Flamethrower) on Genesect, given your fire coverage with TTar and 'Chomps, although this is theorymon and something I'll probably be looking into next.

I like the idea of Trevenant, but outside of Gliscor, I'm not sure what else you could lose (I love the addition of Excadrill in this spot). I don't really like Azumarill or Rotom-W, but they both check so many poke's in the current meta, and set up as they are (specs and all), they both threaten a lot of poke's too.

Overall, I love it!

Last edited:
Hey TCR, thanks for the comments. I'll have to say, your points are valid if somewhat exaggerated in some aspects.

First of all, Mega Chomp handily deals with Skarmory and Rotom-W after some prior damage:
0 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 248-292 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W in Sand: 131-155 (43 - 50.9%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery

Skarmory is dealt with by Rotom-W and Garchomp with ease. As you say, Rotom-W is a threat to the team, but on a fully dedicated defensive variant, Garchomp still 2HKO'es with Stone Edge. Arguably, it's not that reliable, but it is after the opposing Rotom-W takes more than 50% from a Specs Rotom-W:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 153-181 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery

Of course, every team has its weak links, and Trevenant slows down the game too much for my taste; since it gets completely walled by bulky Sub attackers. Admittedly, Tyranitar's moveset is still under question; however, Cosmic Power Clefable is just a little too bulky for my tastes, and I can phase it out if it tries to come in on T-Tar, which is very common. Genesect can deal good damage to it, but after a couple of Cosmic Powers and the lack of a boost it's not gonna do much.

Dnapol, I also find that burn may be a little too damaging; however, Tyranitar can more than handle Burn despite its physical attacks, while Rotom-W can deal with it quite nicely as well. With Excadrill, I find myself too reliant on the short sandstorm from Tyranitar; I'll have to make this a full-fledged sandstorm team to do that.

Thanks for the additional rates guys.

This team is pretty cool but there are a few really big weaknesses that can be fixed relatively easily.
The most common and obvious weakness is special attackers with Fighting coverage. So like Focus Blast ThundurusI, Landorus, Gengar, Sacred Sword+Shadow Ball Aegislash and especially Mega Lucario with Aura Sphere. Even physical ones like Terrakion can be problematic for this team.

Personally I really hate TTar in this meta even if it has Ice Beam and Fire Blast it is still wrecked by the mentioned pokemon. Hippowdon would suit the team a lot better.
Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang
Hippowdon is really good in this meta and acts as great check to Thundurus, Gengar, Aegislash, Terrakion and isn't OHKOd by +2 NP Lucario or Landorus. With Ice Fang Hippo can still beat Latias fairly well. Draco Meteor is not a 2HKO. You could fit Whirlwind in there, but most setup sweepers will either kill you before you get the chance, or you can just kill them with a Ice Fang/Earthquake so it's not needed.

I agree with TCR and change your Rotom to a Defensive one. Or at least drop the specs. I would run
Rotom @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Rest
-Will-O-Wisp
-Volt Switch
It still hits pretty hard with a Modest Nature and Will-O-Wisp is very nice for this team to make tanking hits a little easier. Choice items in general aren't really good in this meta since they'll kill any momentum you've gained. Especially with Rotom who's moves are resisted by at least one pokemon on any team.

Well that's all I can add for now.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team is really solid; Genesect is an extremely powerful sweeper that can easily surprise teams and sweep them past repair.

The only things I'm seeing here is a huge weakness to physical walls. Most of your team is physical, so bulky Water-types can be a real nuisance. Rotom-W is really the only thing that can ever think of getting past opposing walls, but once it goes down, it's all over.

I think something you should definitely try is Belly Drum over Knock Off on Azumarill. To be perfectly honest, Azumarill's Knock Off is not that useful. Gliscor already provides Knock Off anyway, and with it, you don't beat anything legitimate. Belly Drum lets Azumarill use sheer power to set up on and muscle past Bulky Waters and other bulky walls, something this team drastically needs.

This team is also quite weak to Mega Lucario. Close Combat + Ice Punch take out all of your team except Azumarill, who can be taken out by Flash Cannon if it's mixed Luc or any teammate. I feel as if nothing can really change here Pokemon wise, but at least I think you should try TCR's suggestion, but of Physically Defensive Rotom-W so you have another thing to wall Lucario with. This set will also help vs Bulky Waters as you'll be less susceptible to status and damage, even if it is resisted. Rotom is a key player on this team, so you really need to keep it alive. Trick Specs doesn't really help as much as you'd think because most of the Pokemon that wall you use special attacks anyway. You'd rather have a Rotom-W that can counter Lucario and sponge Scalds for Azumarill.

Other than that, the team is pretty solid. Nice work!

Last edited:
I definately love your team, Shift Gear Genesect is amazing! As others stated, Rotom W can break through you, especially with WoW. Yes, Mega Garchomp 2HKOes though, but Rotom W cripples it hard. NP Mega Luke can also sweep your team.

Cause of that, I second TCR's idea of Trevenant. But perhaps, mmmm, Lum Berry + Harvest on Trevenant since you'd have to comstantly switch with Natural Cure. This also let's you have another WoW user once Rotom's down.

Well, I can't say much lol. Shift Gear Genesect though inspired me to use it over my own Sect in my Sand Volt-Turn.

GL with team! - Lucy Heartfillia (on PS)

Please change Genesect's nature to Jolly. There is zero reason to have it as Hasty. Edit: apparently there is a reason, whoops. Sorry

This team isn't bad, but it has some oddities that I feel prevent it from performing as well as it could. I think you should go Draco Meteor > Dragon Claw on Garchomp. Dragon Claw is pretty underwhelming, and with the SpA boost, Mega Garchomp performs much better as a mixed wall breaker, with Draco Meteor doing a ton to some physical walls like Gliscor.

I think you're significantly weak to Charizard-Y, even with Stealth Rock. You should definitely run Stone Edge > Fire Blast on Tyranitar. This also lets you hit some defog users for significant damage (hint hint Mandibuzz). You can then change Lonely nature to Adamant Nature. Yeah, you can't hit Skarm and Ferro, but honestly, you have Mega Chomp as a lure for that anyway. You don't need two.

Having a team with zero scarfed Pokemon is risky, so think about changing Choice Specs to Choice Scarf on Rotom. This isn't necessary though.

Finally, if you want, you can run the illusion of having a choiced item by running Expert Belt over Leftovers on Azumarril. Might net you a few surprise kills.

Hope I helped, good luck

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Please change Genesect's nature to Jolly. There is zero reason to have it as Hasty.

This team isn't bad, but it has some oddities that I feel prevent it from performing as well as it could. I think you should go Draco Meteor > Dragon Claw on Garchomp. Dragon Claw is pretty underwhelming, and with the SpA boost, Mega Garchomp performs much better as a mixed wall breaker, with Draco Meteor doing a ton to some physical walls like Gliscor.

I think you're significantly weak to Charizard-Y, even with Stealth Rock. You should definitely run Stone Edge > Fire Blast on Tyranitar. This also lets you hit some defog users for significant damage (hint hint Mandibuzz). You can then change Lonely nature to Adamant Nature. Yeah, you can't hit Skarm and Ferro, but honestly, you have Mega Chomp as a lure for that anyway. You don't need two.

Having a team with zero scarfed Pokemon is risky, so think about changing Choice Specs to Choice Scarf on Rotom. This isn't necessary though.

Finally, if you want, you can run the illusion of having a choiced item by running Expert Belt over Leftovers on Azumarril. Might net you a few surprise kills.

Hope I helped, good luck
It has to be hasty because extremespeed and shift gear are both event moves, sorta like how you have to rash if you want to use aura sphere on raikou. It sucks, its one of the reasons I just prefer modest rock polish. It has better SE coverage and I just like it better but that's just my preference.

I've been using this team a lot and it came with a lot of success! There is a few problems I do have with it though. Manaphy is a huge problem!! All that can really answer it is Rotom-W with Volt Switch but is tricky to get in without letting another Poke faint and after a Tail Glow its gg from there. Mega Venusaur is also a big problem because without any psychic and flying type moves, the only thing the can hit Mega-V hard is Mega Garchomp which runs the risk of being put to sleep. Greninja can pose a problem as well, hitting most of the team with super effective moves and or out speeding and U-turning out. Will O Wisp and other Rotom-W are big threats as well. With that being said I've now reached the 1800 ranks easily using this team, and none of the threats are pure counters, it takes some prediction but all in all this a good team. Well Built!

Nah, in my opinion, let the team stand as is. This team was built with the meta of the time in mind and functioned incredibly well when that meta existed. It should be JUDGED (as it is nominated) as it was when it performed best with all crew... While it is BST's own choice, I would keep it as it was.

Anyways, few RMTs span the amount of time as this one has. Most other teams that had genesect/megaLucario will keep it that way in thread because the meta shift would require a team to prepare for a different set of threats now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)