SS OU Magearna Urshifu Alakazam Balance

:Urshifu-Single-Strike: :Magearna: :Amoonguss: :Hippowdon: :Incineroar: :Alakazam:

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Wicked Blow
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Urshifu runs a generic Band set with dual STABS, U-turn, and Sucker Punch. It also ends up being by main counter to Volc if it gets a QD up, since Sucker Punch KOs it after 22% of chip. It also OHKOs Chansey and Ferro (Ferro only after rocks) which is impressive. Running Adamant is also an option, but I'm afraid that the extra power isn't worth being able to be hit by Rotom-H's Overheat and Modest Hydregion's Draco Meteor. He also resists Dark (4x) and Ghost, and can be used to take these hits for Alakazam.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Trick

:Magearna: can either cripple or kill the majority of walls in the meta, and serves as my best answer to Pex with Trick (I can also Trick the Black Sludge onto another Pokemon), although Hippowdon is also good in that match-up. The EV spread allows it to outspeed Jolly Marowak-A and Adamant Azumaril, allowing me to 2HKO Marowak with Fleur (Assuming they switch in on it, since Flare OHKOs), and possibly OHKO Azu with Volt Switch from full HP. If Alakazam is down, Mage can also check Hawlucha with Fleur or Volt (unless they're using a seed that boosts Sp. Def). Aside from Amoon using Toxic, this is the only Pokemon on my team that can do anything useful to Mandibuzz. They also 4x resist Fairy for Urshifu.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Toxic

:Amoonguss: is my only status spreader, but compacting Spore and Toxic into one Mon add the perk of being able to bait in a Mandibuzz or Tangrowth and use Toxic, or bait in Pex or Mage and use Spore. I would run Synthesis over Sludge Bomb, but Hippos Sand Stream weakens it and I'm not sure if it's worth missing the sand damage and using Sand Force or not. A sleeping Pokemon is also easier to use Trick on if the opponent is willing to wait out the sleep turns, but I normally just switch to a check or counter to the sleeping Pokemon/double switch. Rocky Helmet is untested (only because I thought of it while writing, and Rapid Strike is rare), but should help my team against Urshifu Rapid Strike.

Hippowdon (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

:Hippowdon: runs a standard set that isn't afraid to WWind any set-up sweeper. They also can take advantage of Cinderace by getting Rocky Helm chip from U-turn, and WWinding so they don't keep their check/counter in. This Pokemon beats nearly any Physical attacker aside from Rillaboom (I normally switch into Incineroar and hope they don't have Ground or Fighting coverage) or Urshifu Water. They also beat HO lead Excadrill by using EQ on turn one as they set up Rocks, setting up rocks against their EQ, and Slacking Off while they Rapid Spin (which KOs them before rocks are removed due to Helmet). They also replace weathers, so I have a better match-up against sun and rain teams.

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot
- Taunt

:Incineroar: is my defensive piviot. They handle threats that the team struggles with, like Rillaboom (without Ground/Fighting coverage) and Stored Power Mage. I think Knock Off could be replaced with Will-o-Wisp or something like it, because using it gives the opponent a chance to have their tricked specs removed. It also work extremely well against teams with Ferro, since Ferro will often come in to absorb status from Amoong and I can just double switch to Incineroar and either Flare Blitz or Parting Shot.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

:Alakazam: is a strong revenge killer that can dispose of threats with ease, or abuse the opponent switching out by setting up. At +2 it is almost assured to OHKO Toxapex with Psyshock and Gleam can OHKO Kommo-o, Hydregon and Urshifu-Single-Strike. Common priority abusers all have checks on this team (besides Rilla) to keep Alakazam from using it's sash for as long as posible, Azu is checked by Mage, Ace is countered by Hippowdo and Urshifu-R is (likely) checked by Amoog.

Threatlist:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike was difficult to defeat before, but Rocky Helmet Amooguss should make it easier. Nevertheless, I will still have to keep an eye out for it.

:Rillaboom: Rilla can always take down Hippowdon and Alakazam with Grassy Glide, and Knock Off, High Horsepower and Drain Punch each are able to deal high amounts of damage to the rest of my team.

Last edited:

bbnopokedollar

Banned deucer.
Isn´t Volcarona kinda hard to deal with since Incineroar can get chipped down and Alakazam without Psych-Up doesnt kill, right?

Isn´t Volcarona kinda hard to deal with since Incineroar can get chipped down and Alakazam without Psych-Up doesnt kill, right?
Sucker Punch from Urshifu KOs after 22%, and as long as they don't already have a QD, Incineroar lives Bug Buzz from 37% to get the needed damage. Worst case senario is having to sack something like Mage in order to get that chip.

Sucker Punch from Urshifu KOs after 22%, and as long as they don't already have a QD, Incineroar lives Bug Buzz from 37% to get the needed damage. Worst case senario is having to sack something like Mage in order to get that chip.
Relying on Urshifu to check Volcarona is not, well, reliable. It forces a 50/50 in which the Volcarona user can either QD again or switch out into a different mon, both of which lose you momentum and leave you helpless, especially since you are using banded Urshifu. Incineroar is not really a solid check to Volcarona either. At +1, all Volcarona needs is 6% chip to 2HKO Incineroar with Bug Buzz, and your Incineroar cannot OHKO in return. 6% chip on Incineroar is really not that hard to get, especially with the prevalence of Knock Off in the tier. So yes, Volcarona is a problem, and all a Volcarona user has to do to sweep your team is get a tiny amount of chip and win one 50/50. Generally, you want to make someone work to set up and sweep your team, not have it be a matter of chance.

Your team has broader structural problems as well: you lack hazard removal, something that is a necessity on all but the most brainless of HO teams (which still usually have Court Chance Cinderace). Here are the changes I recommend:

Importable: https://pokepast.es/026de115b787c9c4

Major Changes
For this team to be functional, I really think you have to replace your defensive core. I've chosen Mandi/Pex, one of the most reliable defensive cores in the current tier, plus Excadrill to improve the matchup against Clefable and (Choice Specs) Magearna.
  • :ss/Incineroar: -> :ss/mandibuzz:
    • You need hazard removal on this team. I switched out Incineroar because they essentially serve the same role: Sponge Ghost type hits and make progress with Knock Off. Mandibuzz is both more reliable at this in the long run with access to roost, and has other ways of making progress with Toxic.
    • This is also one half of the Mandi/Pex defensive core. Pex is a regen mon that eases prediction agaisnt strong physical attackers and can sponge Fighting and Fairy hits for Mandibuzz, which in turn can take strong Ground, Dark and Psychic type hits, remove hazards, and check Volcarona with Toxic + Knock.
  • :ss/hippowdon: -> :ss/excadrill:
    • Currently, every time that opposing Choice Specs Magearna comes in, it gets a kill. This bulky Excadrill is here to make sure that doesn't happen. Toxic to make progress on defoggers like Mandibuzz, you know the drill.
  • :ss/amoonguss: -> :ss/toxapex:
    • See above for notes about the core.
    • Basically, Amoonguss isn't doing a whole lot for your team. The utility it provides in spore is not as important as the overall wall-everything-to-hell that Toxapex provides, and as a mon it really feels kind of random on this team. I don't understand why you chose it over broken Toxapex. In terms of defensive Poison types, I usually find that Toxapex is far superior to Amoonguss except in specific scenarios where you prefer Spore to general reliability.
    • TSpike + Knock Off can greatly threaten the numerous HDB users in the tier. Coupled with Knock on Mandibuzz, and you should be able to remove just about every item on your opponent's team.
Minor Changes
  1. Made Magearna Assault Vest to better check Alakazam and in a pinch opposing Magearna.
  2. Made Urshifu Adamant. You don't need the extra speed on this team, the improved rolls are better.
  3. Made Zam LO + Recover with 28 Def EVs. The EVs allow it to live Banded Azu Aqua jet, and you generally have an easier time setting up on things like Toxapex and Clefable. Recover makes sure that it isn't just death fodder, and LO is better than Sash in almost every instance, the consistent power is much better in a metagame like this. At +2, you can even 2HKO Chansey with Psyshock, meaning you don't always have to rely on dogshit Focus Blast.
That's all, let me know what you think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)