Pokémon Magearna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs is good but makes it hard to spam volt switch. Fairium z is pretty nice on magearna though, you can bluff choice to lure in grounds after spamming volt switch a few times (although steelium z is common enough that this doesnt always work) and nuke em. Even outside of that, it's nice for getting a kill, and with your good defenses, you can usually live a follow up hit to respond with a +1 fleur cannon

Magearna @ Fairium-Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Explosion
- Shift Gear

Does a great job at cleaning, since the kill from Fairium-Z boosts your SpAtk, making your Fleur Cannon stronger, which also kills probably and nets you another Fleur Cannon coming from +0 SpAkt. Then, boom.

More details in the Z moves thread.
I tested this out, and I found that it is very effective. Notably, Twinkle Tackle does decisive damage to any threat on the opposing team without making you setup bait. Shift Gear allows you to survive against thing that would otherwise outspeed you, and it boosts your explosion, so when you are finally walled on the special side, you get to go out with a big bang.
It nets up to two kills if you decide to use it to soften an opposing team early on, so it goes really well with other sweepers.

I've noticed a lot of ubers Magearna usage mainly to counter the deer(Xerneas), which got zeomancy this gen. I think I'm one of the only shuca users, but this set is great vs. balanced teams with one set up wincon. Notably, shuca berry with this set tanks Max Atk Rock Polish PDon precipice even after Stealth Rocks, and can survive plus 3 FB from Xern every time even after rocks. Mag can then Heart Swap the desired boosts for itself and OHKO Xern while dealing signifcant damage to polish Pdon. This is one of the less common sets, but it allows for safer Salamence, Extreme Arceus, and Pdon checks than most. Also, it allows for elbow room in dealing with Zeomancy-- less prediction involved. The only real reason to use HP Ground over Grass knot is for the odd Z-Splash Solgaleo and the odd Excadrill. Grass Knot safely covers Pogre, which Mag can steal CM from. Make sure u nick it deer hunter to piss ppl off.

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 146 SpA / 116 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heart Swap
- Grass Knot/Hp Ground
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon

+3 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 116 SpD Magearna: 289-340 (79.6 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Magearna: 244-288 (67.2 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I think the other sets that should be mentioned are Trick Room and Shift Gear as the more notable ones. I've seen include Trick Room and Shift Gear which seem to be kind of cool and seemed to work fairly well when played right. I know of one person that is using Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) on a Shift Gear set and that is legit terrifying. However, even at +2 it 502 Speed with Timid which is enough to outspeed everything up to Scarf Garchomp.

This is the Trick Room set someone gave me.

Magearna @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast

The Shift Gear set that I've run to good success was:

Magearna @ Steelium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
You've got everything right in that set, apart from focus blast imo. I much prefer volt switch to make full use of trick room, allowing you to pivot and bring in mons that can abuse it. Also works very well in getting out of otherwise sticky situations, or after just using fluer cannon. Being able to pivot out of that 0.5x spa drop is extremely useful

Is Shift Gear viable? Not for the Attack, more for the Speed. Magearna with +2 Speed is pretty freaking scary.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Is Shift Gear viable? Not for the Attack, more for the Speed. Magearna with +2 Speed is pretty freaking scary.
it's pretty great, but it suffers slightly from 4MSS - running TBolt for Greninja, Toxapex, Celesteela is pretty important but the benefits of HP Fire versus Aura Sphere (which, unboosted, hits Sect for <40% lol, fucking pitiful) versus a Fairy STAB move are nearly equitable so it's a toss up

also when running Modest (which is kind of necessary so you're hitting as hard as possible right out the gate to ensure a Soul-Heart boost) you're outsped by Timid Scarf Sect so be wary of Flamethrower

Just battled a Trick Room version of this thing, whoa crap did it catch me off guard. Unlike a Shift Gear set which can easily be outspeeded there's very little that can easily underspeed Magearna, making it great at pulling off a late game clean with Trick Room - aided significantly by Soul Heart. With it's bulk and superior typing as well, it's not like it has a shortage of TR setting opportunities either. When you add into that the fact it can pivot to other mons that can make excellent use of TR, it's pretty much ideal. Something like:

Magearna @ Life Orb / Berry against SE damage
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

The most fucking scary thing about this mon is that it has a TON of viable sets. I can't make my mind on what to run and now I'm paranoid about not knowing what to expect.

Just battled a Trick Room version of this thing, whoa crap did it catch me off guard. Unlike a Shift Gear set which can easily be outspeeded there's very little that can easily underspeed Magearna, making it great at pulling off a late game clean with Trick Room - aided significantly by Soul Heart. With it's bulk and superior typing as well, it's not like it has a shortage of TR setting opportunities either. When you add into that the fact it can pivot to other mons that can make excellent use of TR, it's pretty much ideal. Something like:

Magearna @ Life Orb / Berry against SE damage
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
Maybe Fairium Z to start the sweeping going and then unleashing a +1 Fleur Cannon?

as someone who's been using a TR Magearna for a few days now and trying different things, I found that Leftovers is the best item for that set. unless you're gonna pack Tapu Bulu, Life Orb ends up hurting your longevity without that much payoff since this thing is already pretty strong and has the ability to get stronger (and if you're running a TR team, you need to keep your TR setters as healthy as possible). Shuca Berry and....fire berry (i always forget its name) are cool but I find that you can usually eat at least 1 non-Z powered super effective hit on the TR setup and when paired with a Z-Parting Shot user, that damage doesn't even matter. Leftovers, in my opinion, is overall better since it simply increases its longevity. and when you're gonna spend several turns in a match setting up TR (again, on a TR team), it's best to increase your longevity. Trust me, the passive healing has saved me from some KOs.

TR Magearna is best paired with Darkinium Z Pangoro or Alolan Persian and TR Mimikyu (guaranteed TR setup). that Z-Parting Shot into TR Magearna (or Exeggutor) has won me so many games

now, if the only thing that'll abuse TR on your team is Magearna then by all means go for Life Orb or Fairium Z.

Best Sweep Magearna:

Magearna @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam

Use trick room and survive with focus sash. Then you can sweep with STAB moves and ice beam

can someone explain me if this strategy erally works?:

Magearna @ Fairium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Shift Gear

use twinkle tackle to nuke something, and get the +1, than if you need use a +1 fleur cannon to kill something and the spa drop will leave you with -1 spa, but then the soul-heart activates and you loose your spa drop, is this right? if this works this way, fairium-z may be a good option, cause you probably won't need to use fleur cannon more than two time per game(the first time being twinkle tackle and the second being boosted) cause many teams don't carry three bulky mons that need all that fairy damage to be taken off, and you can sweep/wallbreak the rest of the team with the other moves.

can someone explain me if this strategy erally works?:

Magearna @ Fairium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Shift Gear

use twinkle tackle to nuke something, and get the +1, than if you need use a +1 fleur cannon to kill something and the spa drop will leave you with -1 spa, but then the soul-heart activates and you loose your spa drop, is this right? if this works this way, fairium-z may be a good option, cause you probably won't need to use fleur cannon more than two time per game(the first time being twinkle tackle and the second being boosted) cause many teams don't carry three bulky mons that need all that fairy damage to be taken off, and you can sweep/wallbreak the rest of the team with the other moves.
Okay Kutscher i think that this strategy has some things going for it and some not. The thing that I like is the Fairium-Z. I think that the huge BP moves that Fairium-Z provides mons + Magearna base 130~ special attack is very potent in offensive power. That said, with Magearna's base 80/115/115 defenses it is hard to pass over hp EVs in favor of speed EVs; escpecially when the base speed for Magearna is a measly 65. Having the HP EVs contributes to a bulky offense team much more, and a balance team for that matter. Other than bulky offense or balance I do not see there being teams Magearna is good on other than TR. Also, on one final note, I think that Thunderbolt could be added to one of those moveslots based on what Magearna's teammates are.

Okay Kutscher i think that this strategy has some things going for it and some not. The thing that I like is the Fairium-Z. I think that the huge BP moves that Fairium-Z provides mons + Magearna base 130~ special attack is very potent in offensive power. That said, with Magearna's base 80/115/115 defenses it is hard to pass over hp EVs in favor of speed EVs; escpecially when the base speed for Magearna is a measly 65. Having the HP EVs contributes to a bulky offense team much more, and a balance team for that matter. Other than bulky offense or balance I do not see there being teams Magearna is good on other than TR. Also, on one final note, I think that Thunderbolt could be added to one of those moveslots based on what Magearna's teammates are.
Oh actually The moveset was random, i just wanted to know if The fairium z + soul-heart thing really works

A huge problem for this Pokemon is Primal Groudon. It can be OHKOed by Precipice Blades with no reliable coverage to OHKO back, as HP Water is the only water coverage (obviously blocked by Desolate Land) and then Ice Beam and HP Grass, Rock and Ground not being able to do anything substantial, you have to be able to find a solid Primal Groudon KO in doubles, like a Cloud Nine Pokemon, such as Altaria or Golduck, the latter perhaps being more viable thanks to reliable Water STAB like Scald.

Ema Skye

Work!
A huge problem for this Pokemon is Primal Groudon. It can be OHKOed by Precipice Blades with no reliable coverage to OHKO back, as HP Water is the only water coverage (obviously blocked by Desolate Land) and then Ice Beam and HP Grass, Rock and Ground not being able to do anything substantial, you have to be able to find a solid Primal Groudon KO in doubles, like a Cloud Nine Pokemon, such as Altaria or Golduck, the latter perhaps being more viable thanks to reliable Water STAB like Scald.
Thankfully, Primal Groudon is in Ubers while Magearna is OU!

Can Scarf be an option, considering it hits 377 speed with Timid nature (enough to outspeed up to 122 base speed mons)?

Magearna
Choice Scarf
252 SpA 252 Speed 4 Def
-Fleur Cannon
-Aurasphere
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon/Ice Beam/Shadow Ball

You have Fleur Cannon to nuke everything and switch out, Volt Switch to grab momentum and Aurasphere for predicted Magnezone trap.

Slightly off topic, but you can get Magearna now in game with the QR code

http://www.serebii.net/news/2016/05-December-2016.shtml

Anyone know if you can bring an Modest syncronizer to get a modest right away?

That being said, it seems like everyone has 3 core moves it will almost always use, Fleur Cannon, Flash Cannon, and Aura Sphere. Last seems to be a mix between Gear shift(most just for the speed increase, that attack increase is useless), Volt Switch, Shadow ball for Alolan Marrowack, I myself think Fleur Cannon, Flash Cannon, Gear Switch, and Shadow ball is the best combo. Aura Sphere is nice, but you can deal with more threats with Shadowball

Slightly off topic, but you can get Magearna now in game with the QR code

http://www.serebii.net/news/2016/05-December-2016.shtml

Anyone know if you can bring an Modest syncronizer to get a modest right away?

That being said, it seems like everyone has 3 core moves it will almost always use, Fleur Cannon, Flash Cannon, and Aura Sphere. Last seems to be a mix between Gear shift(most just for the speed increase, that attack increase is useless), Volt Switch, Shadow ball for Alolan Marrowack, I myself think Fleur Cannon, Flash Cannon, Gear Switch, and Shadow ball is the best combo. Aura Sphere is nice, but you can deal with more threats with Shadowball
Someone on Reddit said that you can.

Edit: Can confirm that you can.

Ugh, the worst is trying to decide on a Nature for my in-game Magearna. I recently looked up options for Tapu Koko and Lunala they were pretty obvious, but Magearna... There are just too many options! I'm trying to think of some simple speed tier comparisons to weigh the options between Shift Gear and Trick Room. This'll be really brief, so please do add some relevant threats that I miss.

Modest Magearna can reach a maximum of 229 speed, being doubled to 458 with Shift Gear, so this is purely in the realm of Choice Scarf users now. At max speed, a base 90 Scarf goes to 459, and Pokémon who can reach that speed that can pose any threat to Magearna include Garchomp, Genesect, Jirachi, Landorus-T, and... er, Darmanitan (watch out everyone, Darmanitan's making its comeback as the premier Magearna counter, for sure). Magearna's typing and its defenses really save it, as there are a lot of Dragon-type choice scarf users (like Latios) that don't really have anything outside of Hidden Power.

Quiet Magearna drops to 121 speed, and I can't think of anything that runs a speed lower than that aside from, say, Quagsire or Ferrothorn (whose matchups against Magearna don't really change much depending on whether or not they get to go first; I guess Quagsire can hit her with Earthquake before it gets vaporized by Fleur Cannon, but that's about it).
...Maybe Torkoal's making a comeback (as if it was ever relevant) with Drought?

I think Trick Room lets you bypass more relevant threats, so it comes down to the fact that Trick Room is on a timer and you don't have the option to turn it off for the other Pokémon on your team, but those are just general "Trick Room vs. speed boosts" considerations that everyone should know by this point.

Wouldn't a Support/Utility set be workable ? It has great mixed bulk, arguably one of the best defensive types in the game and its 135 SAtk allows it not to be setup bait. It also can heal semi-reliably with Pain Split and cripple opponents with Thunder Wave. It can also pivot with Volt Switch.

Something like

Magearna @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef or Def / 4 wherever
Calm / Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam / Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam / Flash Cannon / Volt Switch / Aura Sphere
- Pain Split

EV Spread is far, far from optimal, but a bulky parashuffler set could def be useable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)