Magic Mike n the Boys

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Alright so heres a short intro... i made this team about 6-7 months ago when I was starting to get bored with the RU metagame and wanted to mix things up a bit. This was when hail was unbanned so I needed some stuff to check hail and a lot of offensive presence. I had been using Scolipede a lot because Spikes are good and Tspikes helped check a lot of hail teams but i decided to give the garbage man a try and this is the result. This team got spread around a bit in RU slam (idk by who but seriously fuck you because i was planning on using this in playoffs if i made it) so i guess theres really no point in keeping this a secret anymore.

im using pre evolved sprites cause they're cuter except for buffalo and rotom but w/e sue me!!

Magic Mike (Garbodor) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SAtk / 204 Spd
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Explosion

Garbodor is the driving force of the whole team. Since Grounded Poison-types are so hard to come by in RU barring a select few, Toxic Spikes work wonders especially against slower defensive teams. The added 12% of residual damage turns a lot of 3HKOs into 2HKOs and allows me to wear down certain offensive pokemon that I am weak to as well. Aftermath gives an added 25% if Garb dies to a physical attack which can be used to my advantage. Spikes are pretty self explanatory and also turn a lot of (N)HKOs into (N-1)HKOs etc etc. Giga Drain is very useful in the event that stuff like Kabutops / Omastar / Seismitoed wanna fuck around on my turf. Explosion OHKOes Cryo and dents a lot of other stuff and lets be real here, what is better than an exploding trash bag?

Paternal Pete (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Atk / 104 Def / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Roar

I knew that this team needed Stealth Rock as well as a solid Ice resist since it was originally built in hail meta, and to me there was no better choice than Piloswine. In addition to being strong offensively (300 atk STAB EQ is nice) and being able to set Stealth Rock, Piloswine also has Ice-type priority and access to Roar to rack up some residual damage and force out annoying set up mons that can't hit it very hard (Sub Split Rotom-f). Swine also checks Druddigon and sets up rocks on it while avoiding a 2HKO from Outrage, meaning that Garbodor can set up 2-3 layers on Drud leads (depending on whether or not they set their own rocks) and then Piloswine can set rocks and Roar it out. If you are wondering what the EVs are for: I was using 248 hp / 252 Atk / 8 spe with an Impish nature and then realized I was wasting EVs so I switched to this spread and got like 6 more Def or something. Smart

Buffalo Bill (Bouffalant) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

So originally this team was built around RECKLESS CB Buffalo because it just hit so hard.. but eventually I realized that i gave stuff like Amoonguss way too many chances to switch in and Spore stuff, so i opted for the simple fix of changing Buffalo to Sap Sipper. Buffalo is honestly a very very strong pokemon in this metagame, being one of the only pokemon able to counter Lilligant and being generally bulky enough to take a good amount of assaults while being able to OHKO most any frail pokemon. Generally when I am spamming Volt Switch with Rotom against more defensive teams, I like to go to buffalo bill here to blow some holes in defensive cores. The Grass immunity comes in handy especially against stuff like Rotom-c because then i can alternate between buffalo and piloswine depending on what I think my opponent will do. Buffalo bill also lives some random ass special attackers like LO sceptile Focus Blast in the event that I dont have anything else to do it. Buffalo Bill is pt 1 of my based god quad choice attacking core and the only one of them that isnt Scarved

Ruckus Rich (Rotom) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 24 Def / 244 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Alright so, funny story. This was originally a Special Attacking Choice Scarf Spiritomb so I could fuck up Kabutops but it turned out my team really needed a Ground-type resist / immunity so i had to try out bulky Scarf Rotom and i havent looked back since. Rotom's main job is to block spin as best as it can and to overall cause a big ruckus, henst the named RUCKUS RICH. Ruckus Rich over here comes in on immunities and spams Volt Switch to give me some favorable match ups. It also happens to check Omastar, unlike its lawn mowing counterpart. Rotom tends to attract bulky Grass-types, which my team can handle pretty easily thanks to Sap Sipper Buffalo + Scarf Emboar. Yeah I dunno what else to write really, its a standard bulky Scarf Rotom. It checks Durant which is annoying and gets ONE switch into CB Escav, which is usually all I need anyway in order to wear it down sufficiently.

Crazy Carl (Crawdaunt) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Ice Beam

I had heard a bunch of people in #rarelyused complaining about losing to noobs using Scarf Crawdaunt when i first started playing RU, so naturally when I was trying to think of a revenge killer for this team it dawned on me that Scarf Daunt is actually pretty damn good. Waterfall + Crunch with the adaptability boost coming off of 339 Atk is ridiculously strong, especially with some hazard support. I dont think ive ever actually used Superpower but uh its there for Ferroseed in the event i ever need it. Ice Beam gets good damage on Tangrowth. Generally speaking, DD Crawdaunt is too slow to sweep and barely gets any chances to boost in such a fast paced metagame. Thats why i like Scarf better, because atleast you can troll Moltres and other random mons that think that they can grab a quick KO on you. This set also owns CP Sigilyph + offensive Sigilyph sets that think that they can burn you / ko before you can retaliate and are met with an OHKO.

AERIAL BASED GOD (Emboar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk

Let me start this off with a disclaimer: I HATE EMBOAR AND I THINK IT IS A STUPID POKEMON. The fact that it gets so much usage is beyond me now that Hail is banned (and tbh it wasnt the best hail check anyway). In a tier that is so dominated by Rapid SPINNERS and not by Spinblockers, you would think that maybe Entei would be considered the ideal physical attacking Fire-type. Infact, the only reason i am NOT using Entei on this team is because i do not have any room for a Rapid Spinner because it would kill my offensive momentum. Pretty much all Emboar does on this team is absorb Sleep when Buffalo is dead, kill itself with suicidal recoil moves, or hit something with Superpower and have to switch out because then its too weak to KO other stuff. The reason it is successful on this team is because pretty much everything else on the team can muscle through cores with hazards + volt switch + power and then Emboar can kinda clean up late game. But yeah if you're gonna suggest any replacements please suggest one for Emboar

So yeah thats the retirement for this team, shout out to all the RU players / RU community and people who have helped me progress with this team (bloo, badass), and i'm gonna miss Gen V RU

aug out

I guess you are a bit weak to bulky waters. Rotom can handle them and so can afrobull, but burns on the switch are annoying. I guess there isn't much you can do about it except add a random grass mon but I'm sure you can work around it with good prediction. But definitely watch out. Lanturn for example would require sacking a poke a lot of the time to get rid of. Ludicolo is another scary mon, with rain boosted hydro pump drowning your whole team. The best thing I can think of is to put some grass type like lilligant in randomly, but you would know best and you should probably leave it.

blizzard > ice beam on scarf crawdaunt.

Hey august, very cool team, as I think I mentioned before n_n Definitely a cool variation on offensive Spike-stacking, garbage man honestly isn't bad at all, and I kinda love bulky Scarftom.

There's only so much to say, but I took the liberty to play around with the team back you brought it up on irc a while back (hope you don't mind too much haha), and Emboar was definitely the most identifiable "weak link" to the team; it came across as somewhat redundant in application, both as a cleaner and offensive utility, and if anything it tended to open the team up more to bulky Waters (as Asterat mentions), most notably Momo. After a few matches, I ended up replacing it with a bulkier variation of offensive Amoonguss (I believe it was 240 HP / 128 Def / 140 SpA, Modest), which similarly shut down most Grass-types alongside AfroBull, with a couple benefits. Having the additional Fighting resist and a comfortable switch-in to bulky Waters was nice, and the utility it offered with Spore and the ability to somewhat bait Esca was nice too. It also offered the team a TSpike absorber, which your team is ironically kinda pressured by when paired with a fat physical wall, like Momo or Steelix. The downside of this is that it opens your team up a bit more to Fire-types and Roselia, and makes managing Smeargle a little bit more difficult, though the former two issues can be handled with appropriate offensive pressure and keeping hazards up imo. As for the bit about Smeargle, dropping Ice Beam for Sleep Talk on Crawdaunt fixes this issue up pretty well; since AfroBull+Amoonguss handle most Grass-types pretty thoroughly, the only Sleep inducers really worth accounting for are Smeargle and Jynx, both of which Crawdaunt can switch into decently (pulling Waterfall into Jynx is kinda lame, but both Crunch and Superpower OHKO, so it isn't too awful).

Anyway, just something to consider, and even then I dunno if it's worth dropping such a quality nick-named Emboar for.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
hmmm amoonguss does sound awesome to alleviate some of my troubles with mola + stuff like sub sceptile while also giving me offensive presence + sleep, ill have to give that a shot

thx ass u the man

Cherub Agent did you ever try entei?

shut up austin

yeah august , it may seem sort of out of place but i had tons of fun with restalk CM entei in emboars slot. you keep the ability to absorb sleep, and counter pretty much all grass types, but also gain the ability to cut through a lot of stall teams, especially thanks to your hazards. speaking of which im sure roar could also be used over calm mind, but i just always like having a setup sweeper win condition. thanks to pressure and stuff you also handily beat alomomola, and even if they get rid of toxic spikes it just gets burned by lava plume and becomes setup fodder. the physically defensive build of restalk entei also lets you maintain the ability to handle durant a tad better, since if rotom goes down you're in a lot of pain, and CB entei doesnt have this advantage

i also replaced stone edge on bill with pursuit, as i never found myself using it and bill could often scare out stuff like slowking and other stuff weak to it once my opponent saw it was banded

really cool team :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)