ORAS OU Magic Mirror (M-Sableye Stall)

Hey everyone! I'm a new face here, as you can see. This is my first stall team, based around Mega Sableye. It's a bit iffy, so I'd love any constructive criticism you've got to offer. :)

The team itself:

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse

I absolutely adore mega Sableye. He has a very nice amount of Bulk, both physical and special, and it has quite possibly the best defensive typing in the game. Providing a couple of immunities and only a single weakness. It even has access to Prankster before evolving, allowing me to CM at the start of the first turn even after mega evolving, or just firing off Prankster WoWs.
Though, my main reason for deciding to use him is the fact that mega Sableye while being very stall heavy himself, is able to stop a lot of stall Pokemon. Namely the likes of Ferrothorn, Chansey and co. Magic bounce just pops back any entry hazards or status moves thrown its way.
Fully invested physical Bulk and high HP allows it to be able to take a lot of hits on the physical side, even more so after a WoW. This allows it to start setting up CMs on a lot of physical Pokemon, and just heal up with recover. I put the rest of the EVs into SPDef to make it a bit tankier. The reason I chose Dark Pulse over Shadow Ball is because I wanted to hit Normal types like Chansey.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Chansey is the go-to guy when it comes to sponging up special attacks. With a monstrous base HP and Special defense, it can take a hit from anything. Eviolite allows it to take physical and special hits far better, which is the main reason Chansey shines above Blissey.

This is a fairly common set, which is because it's efficient. A bold nature ensures it can take more physical hits. Heal bell allows it to act as a cleric, and soft-boiled allows it to heal up. Seismic toss and Toxic are what I use to wear down anything that tries to stay in on Chansey, and stall it out.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Body Slam

The team was looking good so far, but there was a major issue just sticking out. I had no way to counter Mega Gardevoir, one of the most powerful stall breakers right now. In addition to being able to beat Gardevoir, it can also take hits from the Lati twins, and beat both of them.
Jirachi also supports the team by its access to wish, which is very useful as sableye's low speed sometimes means it can't can't heal fast enough. Body slam hits things that switch into Jirachi trying to check it, and has a good chance of paralysis. This combined with iron head allows me to wear down the opponent slowly, but steadily. Protect allows Jirachi to do three things. Scout a little, make sure it's wish heals it safely and allows it to take some free leftovers recovery, which can be very useful at times.
32 Speed again, as it's the required amount to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp.
The rest of the EVs are invested to maximize special bulk.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 32 SAtk / 40 SDef / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Zapdos is acting as my Hazard cleaner while also being a neat answer to Bisharp, who loves switching in on Defog and getting Defiant boosts. Its EVs allow it to outspeed adamant Bisharp and the rest is pretty self explanatory. Roost for recovery, and thunderbolt for STAB.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Ive Beam
- Stealth Rocks

As good a physical wall as Sableye is, it's still unable to deal with powerful fire types such as Charizard X. That's where Clefable comes in. Clefable's unaware ability and fairy typing is the reason it's able to reliably deal with Dragon Dancers and several other setup sweepers such as swords dance Heracross. EVs are fully invested into Physical defense and HP to allow it to be able to take physical hits as well as possible.
Moonblast is fairy STAB, which is used to hurt a lot of things. Including opposing Mega Sableye. Softboiled or Moonlight can be used to heal up throughout the battle. Clefable is a reliable rock setter, as switching in to check opposing Pokemon can provide a few opportunities to use the move. Initially, the third slot had thunder wave to cripple steel types switching in, but now it has ice beam instead to deal with the likes of SD Gliscor and such. (Thanks again to Enki)

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt

Edit: Talonflame set changed.
I started off with the Bulk-Up Talonflame set but after a bit of experimenting around, I've found this to be easier to use. It allows me to switch in on the likes of Heatran and Ferrothorn even, and taunt + will-o if needed. Will-o also hits Pokemon that Talonflame's presence lures in, like Tyranitar for a tasty burn. :] It's able to switch in on opposing Charizard Y which has no proper coverage for Talonflame and stall it out with roost. It's also able to switch in on moms such as scizor and Fire off a free burn.
16 Speed is used to speed creep Bulk up Talonflame and taunt it. The remaining EVs go to maximize special bulk.

Previous team members:

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Knock Off

Tentacruel is my Hazard cleaner, and the answer to most fairy types. A bold nature and maximum defense are to increase its survivability.
32 Speed allows it to our speed both Adamant Bisharp, and Jolly Tyranitar.
Unfortunately, it lacks a way to heal itself beyond Black sludge, so it needs wish-pass help later on in most battles.
Scald has a 30% burn chance which is just amazing, and helps me burn many ground or steel types switching in on Tentacruel. Acid spray helps it break past all the CM users, and fairy types. Knock off seems like an odd choice, considering its nature is Bold. But it can be used to slap a few ghost types silly when they switch in to try to spin-block me.

Importable:
Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Body Slam

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 32 SpA / 40 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt

Well, that's it for the most part. This team as is peaked 1400 on the showdown ladder so far.
Again, I really welcome any constructive criticism. Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:
Hi,
You have nothing for Ferrothorn on this team. Don't get me wrong, this is a great team, and you are peaked far,far higher than I am. But Ferrothorn will come in and have a lot of fun. To do this, I suggest replacing Moonlight on Clef with Fire Blast. It can smack the spiky turd and Scizor as a buy one get one free bonus. Nice team though: )

Hi,
You have nothing for Ferrothorn on this team. Don't get me wrong, this is a great team, and you are peaked far,far higher than I am. But Ferrothorn will come in and have a lot of fun. To do this, I suggest replacing Moonlight on Clef with Fire Blast. It can smack the spiky turd and Scizor as a buy one get one free bonus. Nice team though: )
True, I lack a fire type attack. But with Sableye's Magic bounce and Talonflame's Taunt, I really didn't see it as much of an issue until now. I'll give it a try, thanks. ^^

You haven't got any answer to Landorus-I that strikes your team. Try Mantine over Tentacruel to stop it. Check the set of Mantine in my stall in the section. Try also on Talonflame Will-O-Wisp over Bulk up.

I would suggest switching twave for fireblast on clefable. You have toxic on chansey, w-o-w on m-sableye, scald on tentacruel, and body slam on rachi. That is already a ton of status. So fireblast would be good to hit some of the slower steel types, like skarm, ferro, and scizor on the switch.

I see a problem with excadrill though, you dont have anything to switch into it which means you basically have to sack and sacking isnt good for a stall team.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 338-400 (85.7 - 101.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Tentacruel: 452-533 (126.6 - 149.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 320-376 (49.8 - 58.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

And rachi gets ohkoed by eq and talonflame dies to rockslide.

I think you might need something like physically defensive lando-t or maybe even a bulky gyrados. Those would help you with intimidate and add a little bit of offensive pressure. Lando-t also gets rocks so you wouldnt have to put them on celfable if you decide to keep clef on the team. Goodluck

Last edited:
Hey,welcome to Smogon n_n

I'm not experienced with stall but your team looks quite solid and I don't really notice any glaring weaknesses.

SD Gliscor could pose a problem though.Clefable won't be able to really touch it and you'll need to maneuver your way through.

Hope you enjoy your time at Smogon :] A few replays would be nice

Yeah, you can try Mantine for check Landorus-I but it can still have with Sludge Wave, and if this is the polish rock, it's even worse :

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 133-156 (39.8 - 46.7%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 125-148 (37.4 - 44.3%) -- 60.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Special Attacker :

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 121-143 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- 23% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Hello, welcome to Smogon and cute avy.
As already stated, SD Special Defensive Gliscor is a big problem for your team, it can set up on everything, and even win the pp war against Unaware Clefable, and then proceed to destroy your team.
Landorus also has many opportunities to come in and wreck something, Knock off/Calm Mind versions also put a dent to Chansey, last but not least Bisharp can set up o a scared Chansey/Clefable and then go to town.

You don't really need Thunder Wave on Clefable if you are using Unaware which ignores stat boosts like Dragon Dance's attack for stuff like Mega Altaria, Mega Zard x, Mega Tyranitar etc, on the other hand Ice Beam can help you killing Landorus-Incarnate as he switch in, it also helps against SD Gliscor, being an unexpected move, and Moonblast+Ice Beam+SR ohko 100% of times, if Toxic Orb isn't active, which means, you can lure your opponent to a false sens e of security early game, and kill Gliscor later, still, Gliscor will lose the ppwar now with Ice Beam.

Jirachi checks already majority of fairy types, including the dangerous Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria and Mega Diancie, you don't really need tentacruel here, which only adds another ground weakness for your team, as such, I would like to suggest you Defog Zapdos over Tentacruel you still have a way to clean hazards if mega Sableye fails to do so, but you gain a great check for landorus-Incarnate and Bisharp, as Zapdos, being your defogger it also scares of Bisharp coming in, thanks to Heat Wave

Sets:

Ice Beam over Thunder Wave on

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog

adv-esque spread this ev spread allows you to always live two Sucker Punchs and Psychic from
Adamant LO Bisharp, and Timid LO Landorus respectively (also Sludge Wave if you have Leftovers), 32 satk evs allows you to ohko Bisharp 100% of time with Heat Wave, 20 evs are enough to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, the rest goes to HP and Pdef for bulk.

Hope it helped, good luck!

Last edited:
Hello, welcome to Smogon and cute avy.
As already stated, SD Special Defensive Gliscor is a big problem for your team, it can set up on everything, and even win the pp war against Unaware Clefable, and then proceed to destroy your team.
Landorus also has many opportunities to come in and wreck something, Knock off/Calm Mind versions also put a dent to Chansey, last but not least Bisharp can set up o a scared Chansey/Clefable and then go to town.

You don't really need Thunder Wave on Clefable if you are using Unaware which ignores stat boosts like Dragon Dance's attack for stuff like Mega Altaria, Mega Zard x, Mega Tyranitar etc, on the other hand Ice Beam can help you killing Landorus-Incarnate as he switch in, it also helps against SD Gliscor, being an unexpected move, and Moonblast+Ice Beam+SR ohko 100% of times, if Toxic Orb isn't active, which means, you can lure your opponent to a false sens e of security early game, and kill Gliscor later, still, Gliscor will lose the ppwar now with Ice Beam.

Jirachi checks already majority of fairy types, including the dangerous Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria and Mega Diancie, you don't really need tentacruel here, which only adds another ground weakness for your team, as such, I would like to suggest you Defog Zapdos over Tentacruel you still have a way to clean hazards if mega Sableye fails to do so, but you gain a great check for landorus-Incarnate and Bisharp, as Zapdos, being your defogger it also scares of Bisharp coming in, thanks to Heat Wave

Sets:

Ice Beam over Thunder Wave on

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog

adv-esque spread this ev spread allows you to always live two Sucker Punchs and Psychic from
Adamant LO Bisharp, and Timid LO Landorus respectively (also Sludge Wave if you have Leftovers), 32 satk evs allows you to ohko Bisharp 100% of time with Heat Wave, 20 evs are enough to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, the rest goes to HP and Pdef for bulk.

Hope it helped, good luck!
Thanks! Zapdos has been doing me well so far. :)

Hi,
Just so you know, Mega Sableye is the single best Ferrothorn counter in the game. It is the only thing (bar defensive Xatu) that can reliably switch into any of Ferrothorn's moves and wall it while preventing it from setting up hazards.

Overall the team looks pretty solid. You need to be very careful about certain setup sweepers like RD Manaphy and sub CM Keldeo though. They both give Clefable a hard time since you're not running any special defense, and they can freely set up on a few members of your team while surviving Thunderbolt from Zapdos. I suggest giving Clefable a bit of SpDef. I usually run enough defense to survive +2 Waterfall from adamant Mega Gyara (mold breaker ignores unaware), which still allows Clefable to check SD Talonflame and Mega Lopunny. This is the spread I use: 248 HP / 204 Def / 48+ SpD / 8 Spe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)