Magnet Power: Magnezone Discussion

#462 Magnezone
Base Stats: 70 HP / 70 Atk / 115 Def / 130 SAtk / 90 SDef / 60 Spd
Ability: Magnet Pull (traps steel types)
Ability: Sturdy (OHKO moves fail)

Notable Physical Movepool
Spark
Magnet Bomb
Gyro Ball
Explosion

Notable Special Movepool
Discharge
Thunder
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
Zap Cannon
Flash Cannon
Hidden Power

Notable Support Movepool
Thunder Wave
Magnet Rise
Metal Sound
Screech
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Barrier
Reflect
Light Screen
Mirror coat
Rest
Toxic

Magnezone, the best damn electric type defensively in the game. Sure he's 4x weak to Earthquake, but goodness he has some awesome resistances. He resists...

2x Return / Body Slam / Tri Attack
2x Pursuit / Crunch / Dark Pulse
2x Shadow Punch / Shadow Ball
2x Ice Punch / Avalanche / Ice Beam
2x Thunder Fang / Discharge / Thunderbolt
2x Scissor Cross / Megahorn
2x Dragon Claw / Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
2x Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer / Grass Knot / Leaf Storm
4x Iron Head / Meteor Mash
4x Aerial Ace / Air Slash

Seriously, look at that and say, "Why aren't people talking about this guy more?" There's only three types that super-effective it (Fight / Ground / Fire) and one type that is neutral against it (Water). He's even immune to sandstorm. Here's some general facts about Magnezone.

Resists 3/4 moves on standard CB Tyranitar.
Resists 3/4 moves on standard CB Rhyperior.
Resists 3/4 moves on standard CB Heracross.
Resists 3/4 moves on standard CS Starmie.
Resists 2/4 moves on standard CS Salamence.

Cool, huh? Here's some sets for your perusal.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid (+Spd -Atk)
EVs: 80 HP / 212 Spd / 216 SAtk
Trait: Magnet Pull
-Magnet Rise
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice / HP Grass / Flash Cannon
-Reflect / Light Screen

Outspeeds CB Tyranitar and Rhyperior, along with min speed Gliscor, and Magnet Rises over their Earthquakes. It then resists everything they usually carry. Set up a Reflect or Light Screen on their way out to provide support for the team. HP Ice or Grass may seem like the best idea, but if you intend to actually kill both Tyranitar and Rhyperior then Flash Cannon does the job, super-effective against both of them for nice damage. Anyways, great support Pokemon.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest (+SAtk -Atk)
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Spd / 252 SAtk
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice / HP Grass
-Flash Cannon
-Explosion

Runs at 300 speed to go faster than CSpecs Salamence and other neutral base 100 Pokemon. This thing rocks 394 SAtk and the defenses and resistances to let it come in on a fair amount. Thunderbolt OHKOs anything weak to it really, HP Ice OHKOs all dragons, and Flash Cannon is filler, but a decent STAB for hitting some things super-effective. Explosion is off of 158 Atk, but could still be a nice way of going out.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 52 HP / 200 Spd / 252 SAtk
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice / HP Grass
-Flash Cannon
-Explosion

Same as the last set, but outspeeds Jolly Garchomp by a safe margin, along with outspeeding those Pokemon who just want to go a little bit faster than him (usually with Choice Scarf).

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice / HP Grass
-Flash Cannon
-Explosion

One more time, absolute max speed outspeeds those Pokemon who intend to go just a bit faster than Starmie floating around 351 speed to go faster than Tauros and Gengar.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SAtk
-Thunderbolt / Discharge
-HP Ice / HP Grass
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

You could also instead do a significant SDef investment to turn it into a special attack sponge. Acts as a status absorber for the team. Uses its resistances, stays around for a long time. You could opt for Discharge because that 30% chance of paralysis could annoy the hell out of your opponent.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest (+SAtk -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SAtk / 156 SDef
-Discharge
-HP Ice / HP Grass
-Flash Cannon
-Sleep Talk

Takes a Hypnosis for the team. Makes a fine lead, Hypnosis Gengar can go to hell. All of its attacks does a fair number on it, along with doing good damage to other Hypnosis users. Unless you're running HP Grass, though, only one attack is super-effective against Milotic and you may help it with paralysis. Still quite a nice set, although against Milotic the Rest / Sleep Talk set would be better given you can recover HP.

Discuss.

Magnezone is a good improvement on Magneton... I can't wait to using thing thing, but I donno if I am looking forward to Steel Cage Death Matches with Magnezone vs the Random Probopass... Fun

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Nature: TBD
EVs: TBD
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice / HP Grass
-Flash Cannon
-Explosion

Specs for the massive increase in damage to anything but Blissey.

Beautiful Skin is an option vs. Duggy... or Probopass...

I think Non-Beautiful Skin sets do have that problem with not being able to switch out vs Dugtrio, and even to a lesser extent Probopass who can disable Magnet Rise with Gravity then hit it back with Earth Power.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Nature: TBD
EVs: TBD
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice / HP Grass
-Flash Cannon
-Explosion

Specs for the massive increase in damage to anything but Blissey.

Beautiful Skin is an option vs. Duggy... or Probopass...
IMO if you're running Choice Specs you need to be Timid and outspeed Tyranitar at least, max SAtk, rest in HP.

I dont quite think Magnezone has any business being in against Tyranitar with potential Choice Banded Earthquake starting it in the face if it doesnt have Magnet Rise on it...

Plus the SD Boost from Sandstorm, Magnezone isnt going to KO Tyranitar with Flash Cannon, but Tyranitar more than likely KOs you With Earthquake...

You're going to want a Rash (+Sp Att, -Sp Def) or Naive (+Spd, -Sp Def) nature on the special sets with Explosion also imo.

You're going to want a Rash (+Sp Att, -Sp Def) or Naive (+Spd, -Sp Def) nature on the special sets with Explosion also imo.
It's a pretty minute difference between -Atk and -SDef for Explosion's power, and you really do need the SDef to switch in on Starmie's Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Grass Knot or Sceptile's Leaf Storm / Dragon Pulse / Grass Knot or Salamence's Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor.

he has explosion, he know officially scares not only skarm but skarmbliss in general.

Magenzone @ Leftovers
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Satk / 180 spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power Ice/Grass/Fire
- Substitute/Metal Sound/Magnet Raise
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt

HP will just depend on what works best on your team, the next move i think is just personal preference, i'll probably use sub or magnet raise, t-bolt is self explanitory, and explosion is for that bliss that switches in after. 201 spd is good to stop metagrosses and of course skarm. Life Orb could also be an option for extra damage mainly with explosion, and and maybe some attack EVs, i dont feel like doing the calculations...

Overall i love this guy, explosion puts so much more fear into him its ridiculous. He owns just about every steel not named lucario or heatran, he just murders them.

I seriusly prefer Probopass for handling Skarmory, becouse its suport is bigger to Garchomp based teams.

however, probopass is a HUGE bitch on the weakness side of it. making it HARD to build teams around him that can work with Efficency.

The advantage Magenzone has is the incredible usefulness of its resistances wich make the teambuidling easier and leave a bit more room for other nasty stuff. dont get me wrong, magnezone can suport teams well with light screen / barrier.

I seriusly prefer Probopass for handling Skarmory, becouse its suport is bigger to Garchomp based teams.

however, probopass is a HUGE bitch on the weakness side of it. making it HARD to build teams around him that can work with Efficency.

The advantage Magenzone has is the incredible usefulness of its resistances wich make the teambuidling easier and leave a bit more room for other nasty stuff. dont get me wrong, magnezone can suport teams well with light screen / barrier.
Probopass is good for Earthquake sweeping potential, but due to Gravity you really need to build a team that doesn't need an Earthquake immunity since Gravity affects you too. I generally prefer Reflect / Light Screen support to Gravity.

Trap Skarmory and Metagross, then Explode on their Blissey. Awesome support Pokemon. I really doubt there's anything new to say about him.

Substitute>magnet rise on magnezone. The reason being, there are more fighters around the block where as magnet rise just wasted a turn instead of getting a free hit in w/ substitute.

BoltBeam resist, anyone? How was this not mentioned? This is one of the reasons Magnezone should be a Special Tank and not physical. It also has the ever important resist to Dragon, so if it has HP Ice Salamence runs. Add STalk and you are pretty much set.Substitute over Magnet Rise is an option, except you must be able to OHKO or 2HKO and outspeed the switch in. 359 SAtk is high, but not that high.

Magnezone survives quite a handful of common CBers after electromagnetic levitation, he just can't do anything harmful enough back. I mean, you switch, you set up, they switch, you're screwed.

However, switch this into Forry/Skarm/Metagross and explode into the incoming blissey/whatever, pretty good trade-off for just one pokemon.

Breeding to get a good Magnemite atm, but was curious which HP is better for a Magnet Rise/Thunderbolt/HP/Explosion set, Ice or Grass? Ice seems like the better choice for taking out the dragons, but then he gets a serious Swampert weakness. Also, would Modest or Timid be better for outspeeding Salamence/Tyranitar/Rhyperior/Garchomp/etc, while still being able to kill them in 2~ hits?

Magnet rise sucks imo. Substitute is far superior. After a magnet rise, you still are not protected by close combats. Had I had magent rise in my warstory instead of substitute, I wouldn't have been able to take out that heracross.

Magnet rise sucks imo. Substitute is far superior. After a magnet rise, you still are not protected by close combats. Had I had magent rise in my warstory instead of substitute, I wouldn't have been able to take out that heracross.
Yah, that pretty much shut the door on Magnet Rise. For all the use you'll get out of Magnet Rise, Substitute is just as good, or better.

Which is more prevelant in the metagame though? Close Combat or Earthquake? And as I asked before, but in a more readable way, is it possible to outspeed Sala/Gar/Gyra/Tyra/Rhyp as Modest, or do you need to be Timid to outspeed them?

Two questions...
1) I'm a big noob, so... Please go easy on me. How do you change what element your HP is?
2) Can the Sturdy ability be stacked with a Focus Sash (not saying it's a good idea, just... Speculating, a bit)?

Fullgore: HP is determined by the IVs or DVs of your specific Pokemon, so to get a new element and power, you need to get a new Pokemon (breed, catch, etc). I'm pretty sure Sturdy only counts for things like Horn Drill, whereas Focus Sash is for protecting you from getting one shot (like having Swampert get Giga Drained from full, or whatever).

Farmer: Main reason I ask which is seen more, Magnet Rise protects you from future EQ as well (until you switch, at least), but if you Sub on an EQ then it'll either just obliterate the Sub or it hits you before the Sub goes off and you faint. This is assuming both Pokemon start attacking at the same time though, as I agree Sub is better if you use Magnezone to force a switchout on the opponent and essentially get a free sub off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)