OU Magnezone

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

* Magnet Pull trapping Steel-types is the prime reason to use Magnezone. Being able to eliminate bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn can open a lot of opportunities for Magnezone's teammates to sweep. (Assuming this is what you meant)
* Magnezone can be a fantastic lure with either Chople Berry with and Thunder Wave or Mirror Coat, (add comma) or using Air Balloon with and Magnet Rise.
* Steel / Electric provides 11 resistances and an immunity; this is ideal for helping to handle Pokemon that Magnezone doesn't trap sometimes, such as Tapu Koko.
* Mediocre Speed and exploitable typing create problems for Magnezone when it is not trapping Steel-types. Even with Choice Scarf, (add comma) Magnezone's Speed is rather underwhelming.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Choice Specs
ability: Magnet Pull
nature: Modest
evs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Volt Switch is mainly used for momentum and double switches. Volt Switch's Its low risk gives Magnezone's team an advantage of switching allows Magnezone to switch out while providing damage, and this helps Magnezone from in situations where it can be taken advantage of.
* Hidden Power Fire is best used for KOing Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Genesect. It also allows Magnezone to revenge kill other Magnezone locked into Flash Cannon or Thunderbolt.
* Flash Cannon gives Magnezone another STAB attack to utilize while doing hefty damage to Pokemon that resist Electric-type moves, resists such as Landorus-T, Alolan Marowak, Zygarde, and Hippowdon.
* Thunderbolt is the best option for a STAB Electric move otherwise. Choice Specs Thunderbolt is powerful enough to 2HKO Sassy Celesteela.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Special Attack investment with a Modest nature gets the most out of Magnezone's attacks.
* Choice Specs are is utilized to maximize Magnezone's damage output at the cost of freely switching attacks.
* 128 Speed EVs allow Magnezone to outspeed minimum Speed Scizor while leaving the remaining EVs to be invested in HP to provide a little more bulk.
* 176 Speed EVs allow Magnezone to outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill.
* Maximum Speed prevents Magnezone from being outrun by more Pokemon, though it can cut into Magnezone's bulk a bit. For an added bonus, it will always outspeed Azumarill and get the jump on Scizor that opt to run some Speed EVs.
* A Timid nature can be utilized instead of Modest to outspeed Jolly Azumarill, though be aware that +6 Aqua Jet still has a very high chance to OHKO.

Usage Tips
========

* Choice Specs is utilized with Magnezone if outspeeding Steel-types isn't a concern, but being able to KO them is.
* This set works very well against Pokemon such as Celesteela, which can otherwise be problematic for some teams to handle if it obtains Special Defense boosts through Beast Boost.
* Once Magnezone has nothing left to trap it can be used to create major dents in teams if locked into STAB Thunderbolt or STAB Flash Cannon.
* Choice Specs is very powerful; however, being locked into Volt Switch and or Thunderbolt can scream bad news for Magnezone as this leaves it prone to switch-ins such as Dugtrio and other Ground-types. Other Magnezone can attempt to KO Magnezone if it is trapped onto while locked into Flash Cannon. In situations such as these, where Magnezone can't trap the opposing Pokemon, the opponent has a Dugtrio or Magnezone that might switch in, or you simply can't decide between Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt, it is best to switch out rather than use Volt Switch. (I took the liberty of adding this from PK's post because the last sentence was a little confusing for scrubs like me otherwise :P If, however, you both feel that such detail is unnecessary here, ignore the addition.)
* If the brutal power isn't necessary from Choice Specs after certain threats are gone, Magnezone can be sacked instead. Magnezone's poor Speed and being forced to lock onto one attack inability to switch moves can make Magnezone it a liability.
* Volt Switch is a move that can be great for momentum as Magnezone is usually slower than the average Pokemon.

Team Options
========

* As this Magnezone set is primarily a support Pokemon that leaves heavy dents, anything that appreciates the removal of Steel-types works well with Magnezone. Such examples are Mega Pinsir, Mega Aerodactyl, Tapu Bulu, Choice Scarf Nihilego, and Mega Alakazam.
* Stealth Rock and any other entry hazards are highly recommended with Magnezone. Landorus-T makes a great partner for Magnezone thanks to U-turn and access to Stealth Rock; it Landorus-T is well-known for drawing in Skarmory and Celesteela, two Pokemon that Choice Specs Magnezone easily traps.
* U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Tapu Koko can be great partners for this set as they can give Magnezone an easy switch in. As an added bonus, Tapu Koko can provide Electric Terrain to help maximize Magnezone's damage output with STAB Thunderbolt; it also lures in Steel-types such as Ferrothorn for Magnezone to pivot in, trap, and KO.
* Water-types that can help eliminate Ground-types are a big help for Magnezone. Keldeo, Manaphy, Greninja, and Azumarill are Pokemon that, once again, can help with that while appreciating key threats such as Ferrothorn and Celesteela being knocked out.
* Ground-types really appreciate the removal of levitating Steel-types while Magnezone threatens the majority of Water-types in the tier. Mamoswine, Garchomp, and Landorus-T all can take advantage of Magnezone applying pressure to Water-types and Grass-types with its STAB combination.
* Dragon-types such as Dragonite and Latios also appreciate the removal of Steel-types while being able to handle the majority of Ground-types thanks to their immunity to Earthquake.
* The basic premise of Magnezone's team partners are is simple—(no spaces around the em dash)if they it appreciates key Steel-type Pokemon such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela out of the picture it is likely a good teammate for Magnezone.

[SET]
name: Lure
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 3: Thunder Wave / Mirror Coat
move 4: Flash Cannon
item: Chople Berry
nature: Modest
evs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Thunderbolt is your best attack against most Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Skarmory, and Celesteela. It also provides consistency versus Water-types and Flying-types.
* Hidden Power Fire gives Magnezone an attack to shut down Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Genesect.
* Thunder Wave cripples many Pokemon by halving their Speed by 50%. This is great when Magnezone might miss a clutch KO and a teammate can pick up, such as situations facing against Hammer Arm Mega Metagross.
* Mirror Coat is a great move that can redirect special attacks back at the opponent. Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, and Hoopa-U will need to think twice before using Focus Blast on Magnezone as Magnezone will survive with the Chople Berry and OHKO them back.
* Flash Cannon provides Magnezone a way to cover against Grass-types and can deal good damage to Fairy- and Rock-types. It's also Magnezone's only attack versus Ground-types and Alolan Marowak.
* Magnet Rise is a viable option as it allows Magnezone to trap and kill Excadrill. This should only be used with Air Balloon.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Special Attack EVs with a Modest nature provide optimal attacking power.
* 128 Speed EVs are for outspeeding minimum Speed Mega Scizor with the added benefit of the remainder of the EVs to help Magnezone remain bulky.
* Maximum Speed with a Modest nature is okay for this set as being able to outspeed as many variants of Mega Scizor as possible (barring those that heavily invest in Speed) is important, and it also gets the jump on some of the slower walls that don't invest in Speed. Furthermore, it also means Magnezone will always be faster than Jolly Azumarill.
* Maximum Speed with a Timid nature gets an honorable mention as Metagross that lack Earthquake always lose to Magnezone one-on-one. Magnezone has roughly a 90% chance to 2HKO with two Thunderbolts while Hammer Arm will make Mega Metagross slower than Magnezone.
* Air Balloon gives Magnezone a Ground-type immunity (which also prevents it from being trapped via Arena Trap). It also allows Magnezone to safely set up Magnet Rise against Excadrill and Mega Metagross lacking Hammer Arm.
* Occa Berry allows Magnezone to trap and KO Genesect that do not carry or are not locked into U-turn or U-turn is absent in their repertoire.

Usage Tips
========

* This set plays differently from the other Magnezone sets, as Magnezone has the freedom to switch moves in exchange for the Special Attack or Speed boost from the Choice Specs and Choice Scarf sets, respectively.
* As the set doesn't necessarily display its item Magnezone can bluff either of its Choice sets. This is incredibly devastating against opponents that think they can take advantage of Magnezone hypothetically being locked into a single attack.
* Chople Berry allows Magnezone to overcome different threats such as Pheromosa cocky enough to use High Jump Kick, Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam using Focus Blast, Tornadus-T using Superpower or Focus Blast, Mega Metagross using Hammer Arm, Mega Pinsir using Close Combat, and Keldeo locked into Sacred Sword.
* Thunderbolt is usually Magnezone's go-to move with Flash Cannon and Hidden Power Fire being used for specific threats.
* Mirror Coat is Magnezone's best move against Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele if they aren't setting up Calm Mind. This works especially well against Choice-locked Tapu Lele.
* In situations where Magnezone cannot OHKO the opposing Pokemon, it is worthwhile to use Thunder Wave instead. Remember that Magnezone is still slower than some Pokemon after their Speed is reduced. Mega Alakazam, for example, is still faster than Magnezone and will Speed tie if Magnezone is running maximum (Made this red instead of blue in my previous check, my bad ;_;) Speed with a Modest nature.

Team Options
========

* Stealth Rock support from Landorus-T is great as the added bonus of U-turn and Intimidate support is greatly appreciated. Since Landorus-T can draw in Celesteela and Skarmory, the U-turn from Landorus-T means easier trapping of these Pokemon.
* Removal of entry hazards with Latios, Excadrill, and Tapu Fini are is a must in situations where Magnezone may have to take a +1 Focus Blast from Mega Alakazam.
* U-turn and Volt Switch support is greatly appreciated with Magnezone. Rotom-W, Tornadus-T, and Tapu Koko are great partners for Magnezone; Tapu Koko further assists Magnezone by bolstering its STAB Thunderbolt. Additionally, Rotom-W and Tapu Koko can lure in Ferrothorn, and Tornadus-T can lure in Steel-types in general for Magnezone to trap.
* Water-types such as Gyarados, Manaphy, and Keldeo can assist Magnezone with keeping Ground-types at bay while taking advantage of Pokemon that Magnezone removes or scares off.
* Slower Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, and Hoopa-U can take advantage of Pokemon crippled by Thunder Wave while still continuing to run a train through the rest of the opponent's team.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Volt Switch
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Volt Switch allows Magnezone to be used for momentum purposes or for rare double switching circumstances.
* Hidden Power Fire is necessary to KO Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Genesect that are unable to switch moves.
* Flash Cannon hits the majority of Fairy-type Pokemon while also being a strong secondary STAB. It is Magnezone's best attack versus Ground-types, too.
* Thunderbolt is a much more powerful move to use when the trapped opponent must be KOed. Such examples are weakened Celesteela without an Automatize boost or 2HKOing offensive Mega Metagross.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Speed EVs, Timid nature, and Choice Scarf hit 360 Speed. This is just a smidgen slower than base 115 Speed Pokemon such as Zygarde-10%, though thankfully it allows Magnezone to outspeed most Steel-types in the OU tier. Ultimately, this means Magnezone will be slower than Dugtrio and Greninja.
* Maximum Special Attack investment is for maximizing damage output.

Usage Tips
========

* This set attempts to compromise both its capabilities of trapping Steel-type Pokemon while being moderately faster than its previous sets. (The "compromise both its ... Pokemon" part doesn't make any sense to me. I referred to the relevant portion of PK's post, where he's given a more lucid description of the set: "functions as a hybrid of sorts ... more vulnerable to counterplay". Kindly see if you can utilize the same here.) Bear in mind it is still slower than many Pokemon in the tier such as Zygarde-10%, Greninja, and Dugtrio and weaker in power to than its previous sets.
* The primary goal of Magnezone is to trap and either KO or weaken Steel-types, though it can also be used for revenge killing Pokemon slower than it or handling other threats that can put a damper on Magnezone's teammates. Such examples are non-Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, Mega Pinsir, and Kyurem-B.
* Under some circumstances, such as facing slower teams that have been weakened, Magnezone can be a late-game cleaner. Make sure that special walls and Ground-types have been eliminated first.
* Be very wary of using Magnezone if the opponent is carrying Magnezone and / or Dugtrio. Dugtrio can easily take advantage of Magnezone locked into an Electric-type attack and threaten to KO Magnezone with STAB Earthquake. Opposing Magnezone can take advantage of Magnezone locked into Thunderbolt or Flash Cannon.

Team Options
========

* Setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados, Mega Pinsir, and Magearna appreciate Magnezone's assistance.
* Offensive powerhouses such as Mega Alakazam, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Lele can take advantage of Steel-types being removed.
* Tapu Koko gets an honorable mention as it can provide Magnezone with Electric Terrain, while Magnezone can clear out Ferrothorn and Scizor for Tapu Koko.
* Pokemon with Volt Switch and U-turn pair well with Magnezone as they can provide it with an easy switch in. Consider Pokemon such as Landorus-T, which also provides access to Stealth Rock—(remove spaces around em dash)a key entry hazard to help Magnezone secure KOs. With Landorus-T drawing in Ground-immune Steel-types, it makes it that much easier for Magnezone.
* Fire-types such as Heatran and Volcanion can assist with the removal of Grass-types and keep Ground-types from switching in safely.
* Removal of Ground-types is something Magnezone greatly appreciates. Azumarill, Keldeo, Manaphy, and Greninja are Pokemon that can help drown out Ground-types while appreciating Ferrothorn being removed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt in situations where Magnezone is being used on a rain team. Be aware of the accuracy drop outside of rain.
* Assault Vest helps Magnezone check threats such as Tapu Koko better; it also helps with surviving a Focus Blast from Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam if Magnezone is at full health.
* Magnet Rise eliminates one of Magnezone's biggest weaknesses. Air Balloon can also help assist with this strategy. This is mostly utilized for trapping Excadrill, which is otherwise difficult for Magnezone to trap.
* Discharge's 30% paralysis rate is worth considering on Magnezone if power isn't of concern. Bear in mind paralysis only cuts Speed by 50% in SM.
* Hidden Power Ground is for more specific situations where Magnezone is trapping Heatran and other Magnezone.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dugtrio:** Dugtrio gets a top mention because it can effectively trap Magnezone most of the time with Arena Trap and KO it with STAB Earthquake. If Magnezone dares to use any Electric-type moves Dugtrio will likely take advantage of Magnezone everytime.

**Magnezone:** Ironically, enemy Magnezone can counter Magnezone under certain circumstances. Choice sets not locked into Hidden Power Fire can fall to opposing Magnezone.

**Ground-types:** Due to the quadruple weakness, Ground-types are the bane of Magnezone's existence; outside of Flash Cannon, Magnezone doesn't really have a lot of options to quickly eliminate them, either. Excadrill, Landorus-T, Garchomp, both formes of Zygarde, and Hippowdon can take advantage of Magnezone locked into Thunderbolt or Volt Switch and set up. Zygarde-10% gets a special mention as it will outspeed Choice Scarf Magnezone. Many Ground-types should be aware of switching into Choice Specs Flash Cannon as it can do a significant amount of damage.

**Fighting-types:** Pherosoma, Conkeldurr, and Terrakion threaten Magnezone with powerful Fighting-type attacks. Conkeldurr can be worse for Magnezone as it bypasses Magnezone's Speed with STAB Mach Punch and can heal off Magnezone's damage with STAB Drain Punch.

**Fire-types:** Mega Charizard X, Alolan Marowak, and Heatran are Pokemon Magnezone doesn't often want to mess with. Though Heatran can be at risk with its Steel typing, it can usually win out against slower Magnezone or outspeed Choice Scarf Magnezone with its own Choice Scarf. Alolan Marowak is not a Pokemon that enjoys constantly switching into STAB Flash Cannons, though it can take advantage of its Electric immunity while resisting Hidden Power Fire.

**Earthquake:** Though Magnezone can trap Steel-types, some threats such as Metagross, Celesteela, and Excadrill are often equipped with Earthquake.

**Special Walls:** Pokemon suited to take special attacks such as Chansey are best at shutting down Magnezone offensively. Chansey can wear Magnezone down with Seismic Toss while having access to recovery.

Not much to change - but please address my comments in the Usage Tips of the Choice Specs and Choice Scarf sets!

GP 1 / 1

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
All good. I actually derped really fucking hard and forgot this was checked. To answer the questions Calm Pokemaster:
(I took the liberty of adding this from PK's post because the last sentence was a little confusing for scrubs like me otherwise :P If, however, you both feel that such detail is unnecessary here, ignore the addition.)

I felt your correction was more than fine. I decided to keep it in as suggested by yourself.

My grammar is kind of shite I admit. I blame living in the boonies.
(The "compromise both its ... Pokemon" part doesn't make any sense to me. I referred to the relevant portion of PK's post, where he's given a more lucid description of the set: "functions as a hybrid of sorts ... more vulnerable to counterplay". Kindly see if you can utilize the same here.)

This one might be bad, but I tried:

"* This set attempts to be a hybrid of sorts with trapping Steel-type Pokemon while being moderately faster than its previous sets; however, it is more vulnerable to counterplay.
* Bear in mind Choice Scarf Magnezone is slower than many Pokemon in the tier such as Zygarde-10%, Greninja, and Dugtrio and weaker in power than its previous sets."

They probably could be merged into one "phrase", so feel free to address it.

If no objections I'll just mark it done and punch myself for the mistakes D:

All good. I actually derped really fucking hard and forgot this was checked. To answer the questions Calm Pokemaster:

I felt your correction was more than fine. I decided to keep it in as suggested by yourself.

My grammar is kind of shite I admit. I blame living in the boonies.

This one might be bad, but I tried:

"* This set attempts to be a hybrid of sorts with trapping Steel-type Pokemon while being moderately faster than its previous sets; however, it is more vulnerable to counterplay.
* Bear in mind Choice Scarf Magnezone is slower than many Pokemon in the tier such as Zygarde-10%, Greninja, and Dugtrio and weaker in power than its previous sets."

They probably could be merged into one "phrase", so feel free to address it.

If no objections I'll just mark it done and punch myself for the mistakes D:
"... attempts to be a hybrid of sorts by trapping ..."

Just make that change, and you should be done I guess :) Second sentence is fine; you don't need to merge it with the first sentence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)