- Wild Charge
- Rising Voltage
- Steel Roller
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Magic Coat
- Magnet Rise

[Pros] :

- Can trap and kill many meta steel pokemons, mainly Corviknight, Skarmory and Bisharp. With more "difficulties" Ferrothorn and Excadrill, and some physical aegislash sets.
- Allows other pokemons that can't break / are threaten by Steel mons to shine, for example Indeedee, Rilaboom or Flapple.
- Good defense, good typing, providing many resistances and a decent physical bulk
- Very good special attack. With Scarf / Specs, magnezone is still a good threat to some teams
- Can provide Volt Turn

[Cons] :
- Bad Coverage : only Electric, Steel and Fighting moves
- Common weakeness with no recovery moves will make it difficult to set up / trap, especially Fighting (Body Press) weakness that most its target have. will require momentum / good anticipation
- Slow : investment required to avoid that Corviknight U-turn with a body press set

[Potential Movesets]

New Trapper set
Magnezone @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Def / 88 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Substitute / Magnet Rise
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt

This set is the old trapper utility we all know, but without HP fire to kill Ferrothorn, it now requires Body Press. Iron defense is mandatory to kill ferrothorn (if ferro has iron defense too, just give up) and to set up on Steel types Substitute will allow you to avoid leech seed, and with the EVs repartition (108 HP / 252 Def) magnezone always stay behind clone at +2 def on Ferrothorn's Body Press. If you succeed avoiding leech AND do 1 iron defense, then just go to +6 def (while doing Subs) and OHKO Ferrothorn. Otherwise (leech seed), just go +2 def and 2OHKO him with Body Press.

Body Press also grants Magnezone new targets : Bisharp and Excadrill. Max Def Magnezone survives +2 knock off from Bisharp and OHKO him in return.
If you want to trap Excadrill, you will require Air Balloon. With it, you can Iron Defense on Iron Head / Rapid Spin, tank Earthquake, and OHKO with body press.
Otherwise you can run Magnet Rise, but that will require Reflect or Grassy Terrain to tank one Earthquake.

Last but not least, Thunderbolt is here to kill Corviknight and Skarmory, sometimes Aegislash with some "luck". 60 EV in Speed allow Magnezone to outspeed Uninvested Corviknight, and at least doing 53% (full Spe Def Corviknight) to him before he U-turn out. With 88 EV in SpA, Magnezone will almost always 2OHKO full spe def Corviknight (98,4%) and always OHKO Skarmory.
About Aegislash, if he's banded lock on the wrong move for example, or if it is a SD set without Close Combat, Magnezone can easily trap it. If Aegislash SD has Close Combat and isn't life orb, by going to +6 def and wait it attacks, Magnezone has a low chance (I'd say between 40-50%) to survive 2 close combat with leftovers, and can then OHKO -1 SpeDef Aegislash with Thunderbolt.
160 EV in HP could allow magnezone to always stay under Sub at +2 def against Skarmory Body Press, always avoid 2OHKO without leftovers and upgrade the match-up against aegislash, but that involves letting full spe def corviknight a chance to pp stall magnezone with only 44 EV in SpA.

Classical specs
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Body Press / Toxic / Steel Beam

Magnezone specs will surely be the most reliable set by putting an amazing pressure. Volt Switch keeps or create momentum while cheap opponent walls. Thunderbolt is Magnezone's most reliable STAB move, letting it successfully trap the likes of Corviknight and Skarmory while still hitting walls that don't resist it hard. Flash Cannon can punish Ground-type switch-ins. Body Press is the most reliable last option, letting Magnezone 75% OHKO Bisharp, and can punish hard switch-ins such as excadrill.
However, Magnezone can't trap Bisharp at +2 since Bisharp is faster and OHKO with Knock off. Also, Magnezone will sadly have to let Ferrothorn live its life. 252 EV Speed ties with Aegislash, but close combat OHKOs Zone and the contrary isn't true so be careful with that.

Scarf
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Body Press / Toxic / Steel Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Timid nature with a Choice Scarf helps Magnezone reach 360 Speed to outspeed Scolipede, Gengar and everything slower, making it a decent revenge killer, while still trapping Corviknight, Skarmory and Bisharp, and providing nice cheap on Aegislash / Scizor with Volt Switch.
Magnezone's underwhelming Speed tier does put it to failure against threats such as Dragapult, Zeraora, Cinderace, so bear this in mind when seeking out teammates.

Last edited:
New Trapper set
Magnezone @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Def / 100 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Substitute / Magnet Rise
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
I'm just going to mention that this set actually needs at least 108 HP EVs to avoid having its sub broken at +2 by max defense Ferrothorn's Body Press. While it's true that 96 HP EVs is the minimum required to not take 25%, due to rounding on substitute HP when the HP stat is not divisible by four, it still results in this set's Substitute still being able to be broken by a max roll. 108 HP EVs makes Magnezone's HP divisible by four, giving the substitute one extra point of HP and letting it not be broken by that max roll.

Also gonna mention that I'm not a huge fan of Body Press on the choiced sets, especially the Specs set. The situations where it does more damage than any other move on the set are few and far between. I'd rather run Toxic to put Rotom-H, Zeraora, Tangrowth, and other things on a timer. Sleep Talk is another option if you want to absorb sleep from Amoonguss. Magnezone also gets Steel Beam (although it's not implemented yet on Showdown) which is ridiculously strong and could be great in situations where you want to get a huge hit off and maintain momentum, even if they have a Ground type.

I'm just going to mention that this set actually needs at least 108 HP EVs to avoid having its sub broken at +2 by max defense Ferrothorn's Body Press. While it's true that 96 HP EVs is the minimum required to not take 25%, due to rounding on substitute HP when the HP stat is not divisible by four, it still results in this set's Substitute still being able to be broken by a max roll. 108 HP EVs makes Magnezone's HP divisible by four, giving the substitute one extra point of HP and letting it not be broken by that max roll.

Also gonna mention that I'm not a huge fan of Body Press on the choiced sets, especially the Specs set. The situations where it does more damage than any other move on the set are few and far between. I'd rather run Toxic to put Rotom-H, Zeraora, Tangrowth, and other things on a timer. Sleep Talk is another option if you want to absorb sleep from Amoonguss. Magnezone also gets Steel Beam (although it's not implemented yet on Showdown) which is ridiculously strong and could be great in situations where you want to get a huge hit off and maintain momentum, even if they have a Ground type.
Oh right for the 108 EV i stupidly used calculator and searched under 25% damage, thx. About Toxic i had thought about it i'll add it as an option, but i really don't like it on a choice set when you have volt switch. Imo momentum is better in most of the cases u cited, except Tangrowth and Hippodown.
I also think sleep talk is too specific, but i like more steel beam, especially for Hippodown, and i didn't know magnezone gets it.

Thx for suggestions

I was looking forward to this thread

Pretty sure everyone had the same idea: Iron Defense + Body Press, since that's the only way Magnezone can be a reliable steel-trapper

I actually had this set in mind

Magnezone @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

The EVs were kinda random, not gonna lie, but I liked the idea of using Substitute+Charge Beam. I think this would let Magnezone deal with steels neutral (or inmune) to BP well, and it also allows it to deal with other mons if necessary.

For the choice specs set, I personally think that for once, Zone should use its other ability: Analytic. Take advantage of that slow speed (and the fact you're not as good of a steel killer as you used to) and destroy the opponent with some electric justice.

EDIT: So here I come with the Analytic sets XD

Choice Specs
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Steel Beam / Tri Attack

EVs are to outspeed Adamant Conkeldurr before it KOs you with Drain Punch

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Conkeldurr: 342-403 (97.4 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You have STABs and Volt Switch for momentum (Also Analytic works when a Pokemon switches into Magnezone). Steel Beam and Tri Attack are fillers. The former is powerful enough to OHKO Excadrill after rocks if predict it would switch in, while Tri Attack is there for neutral damage.

SubCharge Beam
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Magnet Rise

Yes, I like Charge Beam, pls add it to the Body Press set
EVs are enough the outspeed Corviknight and use Sub before it can Taunt you.

Substitute serves to protect Magnezone from attack and allows it to both gather Charge Beam boosts and be able to use Analytic against faster mons. Magnet Rise is there to mess with Ground Types.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)