Malamar (Completed)

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
QC: Arikado / galbia / 49
GP: Mr. Uncompetitive / P Squared

[OVERVIEW]
Malamar is an excellent stallbreaker thanks to its access to Contrary and Superpower, allowing it to quickly gain boosts when attacking and making it a major threat for the opponent to deal with after just a few turns. Malamar has decent bulk with investment, granting it easy setup opportunities against slower walls; it also has coverage options which aid it greatly once it has set up. Its ability allows it to take advantage of Defog, Intimidate and random Defense or Special Defense drops. Knock Off lets Malamar remove choice items and Life Orb allows Malamar to better check special attackers and gives it an advantage mid-game by removing Leftovers. However, Malamar's lackluster typing, extreme susceptibility to Bug-type moves, such as U-turn, disappointing speed, and average bulk hurt it a lot.

[SET]
name: Contrary Attacker
move 1: Superpower
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
ability: Contrary
nature: Jolly
evs: 248 HP / 108 SpD / 152 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Superpower is Malamar's best way of utilizing Contrary, as it makes Malamar bulkier and stronger while also allowing it to break past the likes of Drapion and Mega Steelix. Knock Off, Malamar's most ideal STAB attack, allows it to cripple and wear down its usual checks. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk allows Malamar to boost in the face of more passive threats while not fearing status.

Set Details
========
The Speed EVs allow Malamar to outrun Exploud, Samurott, Scrafty, and most importantly, Adamant Tyrantrum, which is very important to allow it to gain the Defense boost from Superpower, allowing it to take a hit as opposed to being KOed. 248 HP EVs allow Malamar to have as much bulk as possible with the Defense boosts from Superpower. The rest of the EVs are added to Special Defense to compliment the Defense boost from Superpower. Maximum Special Defense investment can also be used, as it allows Malamar to take on stronger special attackers more easily, outlast standard defensive Togetic if it does not consistently get high rolls with Dazzling Gleam, and switch into Clawitzer in a pinch and remove Life Orb, therefore eventually outlasting it with RestTalk.

Usage Tips
========
Bring Malamar in on passive walls and use either Knock Off if the opponent has a counter, such as Aromatisse, or Superpower if they lack a direct defensive check. Ideally, Malamar should be used as a check against Psychic-types and status sponge. Do be wary of random U-turn users that can take off a good chunk of health from Malamar, certain examples being Uxie and Meloetta. Be careful with using Superpower against defensive teams, as its PP is limited and easy to stall out by good switches. Rest should be used when Malamar has a status condition or is unhealthy, but do aim for a boost before doing so as a sleeping Malamar is very easy to take advantage of.

Team Options
========
Malamar generally does not require support to function, any provided is usually auxiliary. Partners that can punish the use of U-turn such as Rough Skin Druddigon are good, as they discourage those Pokemon from using those kinds of moves in the face of Malamar. Steel-types that can handle Fairy-types, examples being Mega Steelix and Escavalier, make for good partners. Mega Steelix is also able to set up Stealth Rock on the switch, while Escavalier can trap foes with Pursuit. Pokemon that can lure in Spiritomb such as Dazzling Gleam Meloetta make for good partners too. Cleric support from options such as Aromatisse and Togetic is appreciated due to Malamar's reliance on RestTalk; Aromatisse and Togetic are also able to fend off Spiritomb. Qwilfish can be a nice partner due to the Toxic Spikes support it provides, allowing to wear down Malamar's checks by turn-per-turn poison damage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Hypnosis allows for added setup opportunities with Superpower by incapacitating foes. Psycho Cut provides Malamar with a solid option against Fighting-types instead of relying on boosting up with Superpower constantly. Taunt gives Malamar a solid option to prevent status and also halt slower hazard setters at the start of the game. Rock Slide is a nice option, enabling Malamar to OHKO Fletchinder, thus getting rid of a huge threat. A Choice Scarf set is usable and has the ability to use Malamar's support movepool, namely Switcheroo, but it's generally outclassed by other Choice Scarf users and Malamar is best used as a stallbreaker anyways. Destiny Bond allows for the removal of a slower threat that Malamar would not be able to OHKO. A Trick Room + Life Orb set can be used on a slower team in order to support the slow wallbreakers with Trick Room and take advantage of it too by being able to run maximum Attack investmnet to hit as hard as possible. Substitute provides a way for Malamar to block status while also allowing the option of boosting up against passive walls. Block is a cool option to prevent passive walls from switching and be able to boost up against such Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Defensive Fairy-types**: Aromatisse, Mega Audino, Granbull, and Togetic can all easily tank any of Malamar's attacks, due to their Fairy typing resisting both of Malamar's attacking moves, and retaliate.

**Bug-type Pokemon and Coverage Moves**: Durant and Escavalier can check Malamar by threatening it out with a STAB Bug-type move. Megahorn Rhyperior, SD Megahorn Samurott, and various U-turn users, particularly Flygon, can also keep Malamar in check.

**Quagsire**: Quagsire doesn't care for anything Malamar throws at it because of Unaware, although non-Curse Quagsire cannot actively beat Malamar.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Strong special attackers such as Signal Beam Jolteon, Mega Camerupt, etc., can easily OHKO Malamar.

Last edited:
ayte

i'd rework the sentence about psychic check / status sponge / knock off platform such that it solely mentions that knock off allows it to remove choice / lo items in order to soft-check some special attackers a bit better (perhaps edge out a win v.stuff like modest 'rott and such a bit more handily) and give it some mid-game weight (knocking off leftovers and what have you in the short term); the latter bits are a bit more suited for usage tips and the like, and it gives some slight distinction between it and other similar boosters. i'd also give a mention of threat presented by currently v.high-profile bugs, namely durant / escav / moth, just b.c specifics of that pedigree are worth a quick mention. also, it wouldn't hurt to mention it's struggle to beat through faeries, given they are near-staples on the average defensively-inclined build, and therefore mesh poorly with malamar as a proclaimed stall-breaker.

m-lix is probably worth a direct mention as a superpower target also. again, mentioning the applications of item removal is worthwhile in the moves bit, especially with it being a bit thin as is. the jolly spread is also and equally relevant for exploud, samurott, scrafty, and perhaps magneton, so i wouldn't skimp on it by saying its 'just' for tyrantrum (though bumping to 242, rather than 240, is there to encompass tyrantrum as well). other than that, i'd mention some implications of max spdef, just to give users some idea of what it actually can do for it. as i said, having a favourable chance to outlast non-np togetic is nice, but it can also switch into clawlizter is a pinch and knock, or simply come in on a free turn, knock, and thereon in outlast w/sleep cycles (252+ SpA Clawitzer Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 118-139 (31.3 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery).

add granbull as a faerie check, though it is the worst option for being the most reliant on leftovers to recover, intimidate is detrimental, and attacking on the physical end makes it more likely to succumb to gradually def boosting (it can still roar though). mention that togetic can get outlasted by careful variants if it doesn't get consecutive high rolls. as i said, non-curse quag does not actively 'beat' malamar (or, at least malamar w/rest), so i would make a point of that. i'd buff up the bug-types thing just a bit, including escavalier and venomoth as threatening bugs, as well as mentioning sd rott (carries megahorn). tangrowth probably is not the best example for a strong beater, since it will likely get outpaced, knocked off, fail to ko w/leaf storm, then get forced out by drops as malamar rests.

3/3

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

I had some nitpicks concerning the actual content of the article :x Maybe consult QC about these things?

[OVERVIEW]
With Contrary and Superpower to make use of it, Malamar is an excellent stallbreaker by gaining quick boosts while attacking, thanks to its access to Contrary and Superpower, (AC) allowing it to quickly gain boosts when attacking and making it a major threat for the opponent to deal with after just a few turns. Malamar has decent bulk with investment, granting it easy setup opportunities against slower walls; it also has great coverage options that which aid it greatly once it has set up. Its ability allows it to take advantage of Defog, Intimidate, (AC) and random defense Defense or Special Defense drops from opposing attacks. Knock off Off provides the removal of lets Malamar remove choice items and Life Orb allows Malamar to better check special attackers and gives it some an advantage mid-game weight by removing Leftovers from foes. However, with Malamar's lackluster typing, it is extremely susceptible extreme susceptibility to Bug-type moves, (AC) like such as U-turn and , (AC) its disappointing (I guess that's how I'd describe it's Speed? It's important to give some adjective to explain what exactly is so wrong) speed Speed, (AC) and average bulk hurt it a lot (it feels off to me that you're mentioning that Malamar's bulk is helpful because it is decent when invested yet now it's a problem because it's average...).

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Superpower provides Malamar with a 120 Base Power Fighting-type attack, and is Malamar's best way of utilizing Contrary, as it makes Malamar bulkier and stronger, (RC) while also allowing it to break past the likes of Drapion and Mega Steelix. Knock Off, Malamar's most ideal STAB attack, allows it to cripple and wear down its own usual checks. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk allows Malamar to boost in the face of more passive threats or walls (Generally speaking, walls would qualify as "more passive threats" no?) while not fearing status.

Set Details
========
The speed Speed EVs allow it Malamar to outrun Adamant Tyrantrum mainly, while also outspeeding Exploud, Samurott and , (AC) Scrafty, and, most importantly, Adamant Tyrantrum, which is very important to allow it to gain the defense Defense boost from Superpower, allowing it to take a hit as opposed to being knocked out KOed. It is also nice for all Pokemon that fall under that speed number to be able to finish them off / cripple them without taking damage. (I don't think we really need to say something so obvious. If something notable is outsped, mention it in the previous sentence) 248 HP EVs are given to allow Malamar to have as much bulk as possible with the defense Defense boosts from Superpower. The rest of the EVs are then added to Special Defense to compliment the defense Defense boost from Superpower. Maximum Special Defense investment can also be used, (AC) as it allows Malamar to take on stronger special attackers more conveniently easily, and it also allows Malamar to outlast standard defensive Togetic if it does not consistently get high rolls with Dazzling Gleam, (AC) and switch into Clawitzer in a pinch and remove its Life Orb, therefore eventually outlasting it eventually with RestTalk. (Add period)

Usage Tips
========
Bring it Malamar in on passive walls and use either Knock Off if the opponent has a counter, (AC) such as Aromatisse, (AC) or Superpower if they lack a direct defensive check. Ideally, use Malamar should be used as a psychic check against Psychic-types and status sponge. Do be wary of random U-turn users that can take off a good chunk of health from Malamar, certain examples being Uxie and Meloetta. Be careful with using Superpower against defensive teams, as its PP is limited and can be easy to stalled out by good switches. Use the RestTalk combination when it is Rest should be used when Malamar has a statused condition and or is unhealthy, but do aim for a boost before doing so, (AC) as a sleeping Malamar is very easily taken very easy to take advantage of.

Team Options
========
It Malamar generally does not require support to function, any provided is usually auxiliary. Partners that can punish the use of U-turn like such as Rough Skin Druddigon are good, (AC) as it they discourages those Pokemon from using those kinds of moves in the face of Malamar. Steel-types that can handle Fairy-types, (AC) examples being Mega Steelix and Escavalier, (AC) make for good partners, (RC) examples being Mega Steelix and Escavalier, (RC) . (Add period) with the former being Mega Steelix is also able to set up Stealth Rock on the switch, while the latter allows for Escavalier chip damage can trap foes with Pursuit (Erm, isn't the whole point of Pursuit to trap the foe? If I wanted Escavalier to rack up damage, why wouldn't I just use Iron Head or Megahorn?). Pokemon that can lure in Spiritomb, (RC) such as Dazzling Gleam Meloetta, (RC) makes for good partners too. (Say, why isn't Spiritomb in CC then?) Cleric support from options such as Aromatisse or and Togetic is appreciated due to Malamar's reliance on RestTalk, (RC) ; (add semicolon) and those Pokemon Aromatisse and Togetic are also able to fend off Spiritomb. Qwilfish can be a nice partner due to the Toxic Spikes support it is able to provides, allowing to wear down Malamar's checks by turn-per-turn poison damage. (add period)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Hypnosis allows for added set-up (remove hyphen, don't add a space) opportunities with Superpower against sleeping by incapacitating foes. Psycho Cut provides for Malamar with a solid option up against Fighting-types instead of relying of on boosting up with Superpower constantly. Taunt gives Malamar a solid option to prevent status and also halt slower hazard setters at the start of the game. Rock Slide is a nice option, enabling it Malamar to OHKO Fletchinder and , (AC) thus getting rid of a huge threat (Is it really a huge threat to Malamar itself?). A Choice Scarf set is usable, (RC) though it is outclassed by Malamar's other sets (I would think that the real problem would be that it's outclassed by other Choice Scarf users, as it has a completely different niche from the Stallbreaker set), (RC) but and has the ability to use Malamar's support movepool, a prime example being namely Switcheroo (Is there really any other support option Malamar would put on a Scarf set?) , (AC) but it's generally outclassed by other Choice Scarf users and Malamar is best used as a Stallbraker anyways. Destiny Bond allows for the removal of a slower threat that Malamar would not be able to OHKO. (There really isn't anything wrong with this grammatically, it just doesn't feel right. Yeah Malamar would be able to remove a slower threat but it comes at the cost of Malamar's life. So I guess it would be used once Malamar has finished doing it's job and it wants a free KO? I'm not sure if QC has a problem with it though) A Trick Room + Life Orb set is able to make its way onto can be used on a slower based (You don't really base your team around being "slow"... you could say "team based on Trick Room" or something like that) team in order to support the slow wallbreakers with Trick Room and take advantage of it too by being able to run maximum Attack investment to hit as hard as possible. Substitute provides a way for Malamar to block status while also allowing the option of boosting up against passive walls. Block is a cool option to prevent passive walls from switching to and be able to boost up against such Pokemon. (add period)

(This is a stylistic preference, but I always prefer grouping the sentences about different moves and different sets together. They don't necessarily need to, and shouldn't, be in different paragraphs, however, and I don't know how much the rest of the GP team minds. I didn't implement it anyways, as I wanted the actual changes within each sentence to be easier to see)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Defensive Fairy-types**: Aromatisse, Mega Audino, Granbull, (AC) and Togetic can all easily tank any of Malamar's attacks, due to their Fairy typing resisting both of Malamar's STAB attacking moves, and retaliate.

**Bug-type Pokemon and Coverage Moves**: Durant, (AC) Escavalier, and Venomoth can check Malamar by threatening it out with a STAB Bug-type move, (RC) similarly with Escavalier and Venomoth (You can keep Escavalier and Venomoth in this separate clause if there's something that makes Durant's ability to check Malamar different from these two, but make sure you actually note it). Megahorn Rhyperior, SD Megahorn Samurott, U-turn Flygon and other various U-turn users, (AC) particularly Flygon, (AC) can also keep Malamar in check.

**Quagsire**: Quagsire doesn't care for anything Malamar throws at it because of Unaware, although non-Curse Quagsire does not cannot actively beat Malamar. (add period)

**Strong Special Attackers**: Brute force by strong Strong special attackers such as Signal Beam Jolteon, Mega Camerupt, etc., (AC) can easily KO Malamar. (add period) (Idk how QC feels, but I suggest you expand a bit more on how they threaten Malamar and any problems they may face. For example, Mega Camerupt will probably be taking a hit or two before it KO Malamar)

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2
[OVERVIEW]
Malamar is an excellent stallbreaker thanks to its access to Contrary and Superpower, allowing it to quickly gain boosts when attacking and making it a major threat for the opponent to deal with after just a few turns. Malamar has decent bulk with investment, granting it easy setup opportunities against slower walls; it also has coverage options that which aid it greatly once it has set up. Its ability allows it to take advantage of Defog, Intimidate, (AC) and random Defense or Special Defense drops. Knock Off lets Malamar remove Choice items and Life Orb, allowing it allows Malamar to better check special attackers (I had to hazard a guess, but I think this is what you meant instead; let me know if not), (AC) and gives it an advantage mid-game by removing Leftovers. However, Malamar's lackluster typing, extreme susceptibility to Bug-type moves, such as U-turn, disappointing Speed, and average bulk hurt it a lot.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Superpower is Malamar's best way of utilizing Contrary, as it makes Malamar bulkier and stronger while also allowing it to break past the likes of Drapion and Mega Steelix. Knock Off, Malamar's most ideal (not sure that's the best word here. "go-to"? "most reliable"?) STAB attack, allows it to cripple and wear down its usual checks. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk allows Malamar to boost in the face of more passive threats while not fearing status.

Set Details
========
The Speed EVs allow Malamar to outrun Exploud, Samurott, Scrafty, and most importantly, Adamant Tyrantrum, which is very important to allow it to gain the Defense boost from Superpower, allowing it to take a hit as opposed to being KOed. 248 HP EVs allow Malamar to have as much bulk as possible with the Defense boosts from Superpower. The rest of the EVs are added to Special Defense to complement the Defense boost from Superpower. Maximum Special Defense investment can also be used, as it allows Malamar to take on stronger special attackers more easily, outlast standard defensive Togetic if it does not consistently get high rolls with Dazzling Gleam, and switch into Clawitzer in a pinch and remove Life Orb, therefore eventually outlasting it with RestTalk.

Usage Tips
========
Bring Malamar in on passive walls and use either Knock Off if the opponent has a counter, such as Aromatisse, or Superpower if they lack a direct defensive check. Ideally, Malamar should be used as a check against Psychic-types and as a status sponge. Do be wary of random U-turn users that can take off a good chunk of health from Malamar, certain examples being Uxie and Meloetta. Be careful with using Superpower against defensive teams, as its PP is limited and easy to stall out by good switches. Rest should be used when Malamar has a status condition or is unhealthy, but do aim for a boost before doing so, (AC) as a sleeping Malamar is very easy to take advantage of.

Team Options
========
Malamar generally does not require support to function,; (ASC) any provided is usually auxiliary. Partners that can punish the use of U-turn such as Rough Skin Druddigon are good, as they discourage those Pokemon from using those kinds of moves in the face of Malamar. Steel-types that can handle Fairy-types, examples being Mega Steelix and Escavalier, make for good partners. Mega Steelix is also able to set up Stealth Rock on the switch, while Escavalier can trap foes with Pursuit. Pokemon that can lure in Spiritomb such as Dazzling Gleam Meloetta make for good partners too. Cleric support from options such as Aromatisse and Togetic is appreciated due to Malamar's reliance on RestTalk; Aromatisse and Togetic are also able to fend off Spiritomb. Qwilfish can be a nice partner due to the Toxic Spikes support it provides, allowing it to wear down Malamar's checks by turn-per-turn poison damage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Hypnosis allows for added setup opportunities with Superpower by incapacitating foes. Psycho Cut provides Malamar with a solid option against Fighting-types so that it doesn't have to rely instead of relying on boosting up with Superpower constantly. Taunt gives Malamar a solid option to prevent status and also halt slower entry hazard setters at the start of the game. Rock Slide is a nice option, enabling Malamar to OHKO Fletchinder, thus getting rid of a huge threat. A Choice Scarf set is usable and has the ability to use Malamar's support movepool, namely Switcheroo, but it's generally outclassed by other Choice Scarf users and Malamar is best used as a stallbreaker anyways. Destiny Bond allows for the removal of a slower threat that Malamar would not be able to OHKO. A Trick Room + Life Orb set can be used on a slower team in order to support the slow wallbreakers with Trick Room and take advantage of it too by being able to run maximum Attack investmnet to hit as hard as possible. Substitute provides a way for Malamar to block status while also allowing the option of boosting up against passive walls. Block is a cool option to prevent passive walls from switching and be able to boost up against such Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Defensive Fairy-types**: Aromatisse, Mega Audino, Granbull, and Togetic can all easily tank any of Malamar's attacks, due to their Fairy typing giving them resistances to resisting both of Malamar's attacking moves, and retaliate.

**Bug-type Pokemon and Coverage Moves**: Durant, Escavalier, (AC) and Venomoth can check Malamar by threatening it out with a STAB Bug-type move. Megahorn Rhyperior, Swords Dance + Megahorn Samurott, and various U-turn users, particularly Flygon, can also keep Malamar in check.

**Quagsire**: Quagsire doesn't care for anything Malamar throws at it because of Unaware, although non-Curse Quagsire cannot actively beat Malamar.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Strong special attackers such as Signal Beam Jolteon, (RC) and Mega Camerupt, etc., can easily OHKO Malamar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)