Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
This is my fucking favorite pokemon and I don't have a clue what to do with it

Type:
Water
Pokedex Number: 490
Ability: Hydration (you won't get sick if it's rainy out)
Stats: 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100

Level:
Start- Tail Glow
Start- Bubble
Start- Water Sport
9- Charm
16- Supersonic
24- BubbleBeam
31- Acid Armor
39- Whirlpool
46- Water Pulse
54- Aqua Ring
61- Dive
69- Rain Dance
76- Heart Swap

TM/HM:
TM04- Calm Mind
TM06- Toxic

TM07- Hail
TM10- Hidden Power

TM13- Ice Beam
TM14- Blizzard
TM15- Hyper Beam

TM16- Light Screen
TM17- Protect
TM18- Rain Dance
TM20- Safeguard
TM21- Frustration
TM27- Return
TM29- Psychic
TM30- Shadow Ball
TM32- Double Team

TM33- Reflect
TM42- Facade
TM44- Rest
TM48- Round
TM53- Energy Ball
TM55- Scald

TM56- Fling
TM68- Giga Impact
TM70- Flash
TM77- Psych Up

TM86- Grass Knot
TM87- Swagger
TM89- U-turn
TM90- Substitute

HM03- Surf
HM05- Waterfall
HM06- Dive

Tutor:
Bounce
Covet
Knock Off
Heal Bell

Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Last Resort
Signal Beam
Skill Swap
Sleep Talk
Snore
Uproar

Bold moves have the potential to be kinda swell.

Overview: One time I saw a Manaphy on the OU ladder... one time. This bitch went from Uber to "wait, that's still a pokemon?" in a single generation, and I want to know what the fuck is going on. Perma rain kinda ruined Manaphy a lil' bit as it really enjoyed hydra rest shenanigans. Tail glow, however, still gives +3 in one turn. Yes it's kinda slow, and yes it isn't all that strong, but +3 is a lot. Mega-Gardevoir has base 100 speed too and it sweeps like a muthafucker, and it isn't even as strong and it certainly isn't as bulky. Figure out what the hell to do with this thing because I really would like to see the cute-ass glob hanging around the ladder much more.

It's support set isn't terrible either; it has scald to burn things, heal bell to cleric, knock off to infuriate, and U-Turn to GTFO after it's done. This also has the added bonus of threatening to tail glow; offensive teams often use the turn in which you would set up tailglow to switch to something that can outspeed and KO, but support Manaphy can play around with this by just using Knock Off on the switch in and then running away (laughing). On the whole, it's support set is a tad outclassed, but since it has the ability to *Threaten* a sweep, it's usable.

Energy Ball is the staple in OU compared to GK in Ubers, but its still the same broken little thing it always was. Just doesn't have rain to ruin stalls day, but 8 turns with politoed lets it beat stall without mega venu.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball

Pretty standard.

Cant go wrong with the tail glow set; it's really, really amazing. It's clearly the best imo, but I'm sure a bulky rest set could work as well although I haven't tried at all in using one

I've used Manaphy, and even outside of rain, like I have it, it's still incredibly strong. A Tail glow boost is surprisingly easy to get and it is really all it needs to sweep much of the opponent's team. +6 is even better.
BTW, this is what I use.
Sea God (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

I've used Manaphy, and even outside of rain, like I have it, it's still incredibly strong. A Tail glow boost is surprisingly easy to get and it is really all it needs to sweep much of the opponent's team. +6 is even better.
BTW, this is what I use.
Sea God (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
I ran a variant of that with Substitute over Energy Ball and 252 HP EV's over Speed EV's, worked really well to just break stuff early and mid game.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I ran this:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
248 HP / 104 SpA / 152 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Tail Glow
- Surf

This is the set that got Manaphy banned in 4th gen and really, it's still as good. +6 Surf in the rain just murders about anything not called Mega Venusaur and Kyu-B, as it leaves them with less than 10% (with SR it's a kill). The speed EVs outspeed max smeargle but I tailor-made this as I had no safe switch-in to Smeargle. And since Smeargle is usually always a lead, I lead with manaphy, outspeed, set-up rain and give 0 fucks about Spore. If I see no Thundurus, then set-up and sweep away.

Last edited:
From what I have seen, when people use manaphy, they don't run more than 4 EVs in SpA under the rain. Does the Rain Boost for Water Typ moves make up for it?

A set with 252HP/4 SpA/ 252+ Spe works better than the standard offensive set in my opinion, as it can take multiple hits, still outspeeds anything under 100 base positive nature speed, and tail glow makes its very threatening after a single boost, even with its relatively modest SpA.

What about a SubSalac set?

Manaphy @ Salac Berry
4 HP / 252 SATK / 252 SPD
Modest
- Substitute
- Tail Glow
- Ice beam
- Surf

Mid game you can just get a sub (if possible) and setup / attack. Late game you can get the speed boost and kill everything that are already not dead. And if you are really good at calcs, you can get Tail Glow and take enough damage to activate Salac.

Idk, just something I thought real quick. I love Sub+3 Attacks sets and tried to adapt to Tail Glow which is, IMO, the only reason to use Manaphy.

From what I have seen, when people use manaphy, they don't run more than 4 EVs in SpA under the rain. Does the Rain Boost for Water Typ moves make up for it?
Because of the rain's 1.5x damage boost for water type attacks, and Manaphy's base 100 Special Attack stats, you can conclude that it really compensates Manaphy's lack of Special Attack EV investment. ^^

It's support set isn't terrible either; it has scald to burn things, heal bell to cleric, knock off to infuriate, and U-Turn to GTFO after it's done. This also has the added bonus of threatening to tail glow; offensive teams often use the turn in which you would set up tailglow to switch to something that can outspeed and KO, but support Manaphy can play around with this by just using Knock Off on the switch in and then running away (laughing). On the whole, it's support set is a tad outclassed, but since it has the ability to *Threaten* a sweep, it's usable.
I read this comment, and since I didn't have something to take physical hits on my team (AV Scrafty/Specially Defensive Mega Venusaur/Tail Glow Manaphy/CB Talonflame/Mixed Aegislash/Spinner Excadrill), I switched my Manaphy set to 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD Relaxed with that set, and it actually works very well.

I love how it lures things that do not appreciate a Knock Off (like Latios, for instance, or Chansey).

Plus, it filled the role of cleric on my team, because it otherwise hates burn (wears down Megasaur, cripples Exca and Scrafty, hurts Aegis, and Talonflame and Manaphy don't like switching into the most common burn user, Rotom-W).

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Manaphy just isn't commonly seen in standard ladder play because the average ladder player isn't too good. Manaphy is an amazing choice in OU for a number of reasons. First of all, there's the obvious Tail Glow, which turns into in an instant menace after one turn. This makes those not-too-strong attacks off base 100 Special Attack into lethal weapons. Its coverage is great, too; it can get past opposing Water-types with ease due to Energy Ball (which got a buff this generation !_!), and has access to Ice Beam in order to fell Dragon- and Grass-type foes, among a couple other things. It even has access to Psychic to get past OU's premier (well, only besides bulky Megazard X) defensive Mega, Mega Venusaur, a Pokemon that walls many other Water-types till the end of time. With these offensive traits, it has awesome 100/100/100 bulk that allows it to take the odd hit or two, for sure, and a nice 100 Speed that puts it at a comfortable spot, above Genesect and numerous other top threats. It's below the 108s, 110s, Thundurus, Tornadus-T, Greninja, Talonflame, etc., but many of them can't KO it (obviously excluding Thundurus), and Manaphy can easily KO them. It is a significant threat to every team (especially in rain holy crap). Here's the best (well, it's standard) Tail Glow set:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration | EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
Tail Glow | Surf | Ice Beam | Energy Ball / Psychic

Jaroda, I don't like Splash Plate on Manaphy. It's just an awkward compromise; you really want Leftovers or LO to work with. Even then, I feel like Leftovers is still typically superior, as late-game Manaphy is more concerned about being taken out due to the residual damage than the damage it has to do, as teammates should have already gotten the job done to some extent. guustavooo, I think your Manaphy set has some issues. First of all, Manaphy's bulk isn't too bad. It can definitely take a hit, and overall isn't /too/ prone to revenge kills. However, the Speed is still pretty nice. More glaring is the loss of coverage, which is part of what allows Manaphy to pose such a significant threat. Your set isn't bad, but it fails to get past things normal Manaphy can with ease, without providing too much benefit.

The other good Manaphy variant is bulky CM, which I find excels in this metagame when Pokemon that can easily 2HKO it are gone. The set looks like the following:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration | EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe | Bold Nature
Calm Mind | Rain Dance | Rest | Scald

This set functions much differently, and just works differently in general. It has trouble with certain things, and has issues like not being immediately threatening, but is still very deadly. This self-sufficient set has Rain Dance + Rest + Hydration to grant itself essentially immunity from status and a full HP restore whenever needed. With accumulated CM boosts, Manaphy's Scalds are quite powerful, and burn physical attackers attempting to take it down; even that is difficult due to physically defensive investment. There's just enough Speed to outrun Adamant Breloom; the rest is in physical bulk. Those Scalds are even more powerful when backed by rain. This Manaphy finds a place on slower, balanced/semi-stall teams looking for a bit more than 'Tail Glow power OMG' -- a bulky Pokemon with sweeping potential.

There's a reason Manaphy is A+ in the viability rankings; it's amazing.

I was gonna list Leftovers but he said end game sweeper where I figured LO would be most practical for all most, and Splash Plate in this particular circumstance isn't a bad choice if everything is weakened and you need to deal neutral damage without killing yourself. If Manaphy is going to come out earlier I totally agree with Leftovers. :)

Jukain

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 288-338 (84.4 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thundy-I needs prior damage or an item to ohko Manaphy.

Also, slash Psychic next to ice beam tbh, if you want to break stall icebeam is entirely useless.

any idea as to teammates who go well with TG-3ATK manaphy?
i'm thinking rotom-H, as it can take RKers who rely on priority such as scizor, TF, and even conky

any idea as to teammates who go well with TG-3ATK manaphy?
i'm thinking rotom-H, as it can take RKers who rely on priority such as scizor, TF, and even conky
Talonflame is the only priority revenge killer you should be really worried about, as Manaphy isn't that threatened by other priority with its solid 100/100 defenses and water typing (resists bullet punch and aqua jet). The second most powerful OU priority after Talonflame, +1 band Genesect's Extreme Speed, does 44.5 - 52.4%. Revenge killers are mostly going to be things that naturally or with a scarf outspeed manaphy, and many still have trouble without prior damage.

I think the first thing to look for are teammates that can get rid of or wear down tanks/walls, the main ones being Venusaur if running energy ball, bulky waters if running psychic, any variant of unaware Clefable, and pink blobs. This makes wallbreakers like Landorus I or Specs Toed good teammates.

A couple of teammates I like are Band Scizor and Heatran. Band Scizor threatens Clefable and the pink blobs, can wear down bulky waters that love switching into Scizor with u-turn, and gives safe switch-ins to Manaphy with U-Turn. Heatran can switch in on Talonflame, and can hit bulky water switch-ins with toxic or burn.

couldn't damp rock be used over leftovers in that set? having to set up rain less often means more boosts and more chances to use rest

it could also be paired very well with goodra who resists grass and electric and can run hydration, or even sap sipper

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
I ran this:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
252 HP / 104 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Tail Glow
- Surf

This is the set that got Manaphy banned in 4th gen and really, it's still as good. +6 Surf in the rain just murders about anything not called Mega Venusaur and Kyu-B, as it leaves them with less than 10% (with SR it's a kill). The speed EVs outspeed max smeargle but I tailor-made this as I had no safe switch-in to Smeargle (and if it was a lead, I lead with manaphy and set up rain and 2HKO), maximum HP with the rest dumped into SpA.
This set is really good- thanks for posting it. I've had tons of success using it. And I've found that manaphy doesn't even need Special attack investment, either. Check it:

+6 0 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 370-436 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The EV spread I've been using is: EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef Calm Nature. Manaphy has superb bulk to that point that things like a Genesect thunderbolt only 3HKO's.

the cool thing is that morimoto thought it would be cool to put AMAZING stats on a pokemon and make him look cute. BIG MASTAKE...

tailglow+scald/surf should 1-2HKO most pokemon (including rain). if you put him as lead, he can 1 shot pokemon like excadrill. but he is much better as revenge killer/sweeper.have some pokemon like politoad set up rain and switch this guy in. put a sitrus berry on him and EV his HP. let him take a few hits while setting up tail glow then demolish everything with surf. in order to kill this guy, you a poke with high attack and choice item

just saying, they didnt make a movie off of him for nothing. HE HAS POTENTIAL.

Last edited:
the cool thing is that morimoto thought it would be cool to put AMAZING stats on a pokemon and make him look cute. BIG MASTAKE...

tailglow+scald/surf should 1-2HKO most pokemon (including rain). if you put him as lead, he can 1 shot pokemon like excadrill. but he is much better as revenge killer/sweeper.have some pokemon like politoad set up rain and switch this guy in. put an assult vest on him and EV his HP. let him take a few hits while setting up tail glow then demolish everything with surf. in order to kill this guy, you a poke with high attack and choice item

just saying, they didnt make a movie off of him for nothing. HE HAS POTENTIAL.
You can't Tail Glow while wearing an Assault Vest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)