OU Mantine

mantine | #226 | kite pokemon

[OVERVIEW]

*Roost and a base 85 HP stat lets Mantine properly wall, sponge, and provide utility through its typing and bulk.
* It has decent utility with access to Defog, Haze, Scald, and Toxic, which can let it provide valuable team support
* An amazing base 140 Special Defense stat combined with decent HP makes it scarily specially bulky.
* It checks many common threats such as Pheromosa, Mega Charizard Y, and Heatran due to its great typing.
* It's 4x weak to Electric, a great offensive type in the metagame, which often prevents it from providing utility.
* It's weak to Stealth Rock, which limits its ability to switch in and what it can switch in to.
* It's a momentum sucker, as it is slow and when forced out an ally has to take the hit.
* It has bad Defense, which means that strong physical attackers can often break through it.

[SET]
name: Bulky Support
move 1: Scald
move 2: Roost
move 3: Defog / Haze
move 4: Toxic / Air Slash
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Scald can help with Mantine's defense by burning the opponent. it provides good chip damage and lets Mantine spread burns and is Mantine's primary STAB move.
* Roost is mandatory for recovery, as it allows Mantine to properly wall and provide utility, otherwise it is worn down very quickly.
* Defog deals with entry hazards for the team and also lets Mantine come in more often later in the match and provide more utility.
* Air Slash deals with a lot of the Pokemon that Mantine can come in on such as Pheromosa and Keldeo, and it provides dual STAB coverage.
* Haze prevents it being setup fodder for the Pokemon it can't get past, such as Jirachi and Magearna
* Toxic allows Mantine to wear down opposing bulky Water-types

Set Details
========

* The EV spread allows for balanced bulk and helps Mantine tank strong physical hits like Greninja's Gunk Shot.
* Maximum Special Defense investment can be used, but the current EV spread is generally better because it allows Mantine to check a wider range of threats such as Pheromosa and Alolan Marowak, which can otherwise muscle past it.
* Maximum defense investment can be used as well, it maximizes Mantine's ability to take physical hits, as it already has great Special Defense, but Mantine often wants to switch into special attacks, which it can't do as well without a mixed EV spread.
* A Calm nature is put in to further boost Mantine's Special Defense.
* Leftovers is very helpful for extra healing at the end of each turn and greatly increases Mantine's longevity.

Usage Tips
========

* Avoid Electric-type moves, such as Hidden Power Electric from Volcanion and Thunderbolt from both Tapu Koko and Latios.
* Toxic is really bad for Mantine because it prevents it from functioning for long, so try not to let Mantine face Pokemon that commonly use Toxic.
* Mantine can have trouble Defogging because it is weak to Stealth Rock itself and most entry hazard setters can beat it one-on-one. It should ideally use Defog on something it can force out, like Alolan Marowak.
* Haze and Toxic are staples for Mantine, as they prevent it from becoming complete setup fodder. Mantine can often safely go for Toxic on a predicted switch, but if it is at lower health, it should use Roost.
* It is crucial that you keep Mantine healthy with Roost because even after one round of Stealth Rock damage, its utility is greatly mitigated. Generally, prioritize using Roost over another move.

Team Options
========

* Mantine works best on balance teams which need an answer to very strong special attackers, like Manaphy, Specs Greninja, and Keldeo.
* Lightning Rod Alolan Marowak is really good because it deals with Electric-type moves which threaten Mantine. It also has really good synergy type-wise due to Mantine taking Ground and Water attacks for it, and taking entry hazards of the field for it, which Alolan Marowak hates.
* Mantine synergizes with a lot of Pokemon commonly found on stall like Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and Quagsire through typing and utility provided because they can absorb most attacks for each other. Bulky Grass-types deal quite well with threats like Rotom-W, and Mantine can take on Heatran for them in return.
* Pokemon that can deal with physical attackers that threaten Mantine, such as Mega Venusaur and Amoongus counter threats like Landorus-T quite well, and Mantine can deal with the Fire-types which force them out.
* Ground-types like Dugtrio, which can trap and KO threats, and Excadrill, which can clear entry hazards for Mantine, can absorb Electric-type moves for it easily and set up Stealth Rock, and Mantine absorbs the Water-type moves that threaten them.
* Clerics such as Chansey can remove Mantine's status, which is very helpful. Mantine can also provide Haze, as most clerics are susceptible to being set up on.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Rocky Helmet can be used to discourage Pokémon such as U-Turn Pheromosa from physically attacking you.
* Mantine could go offensive with a Swift Swim set, but it functions much better as a utility provider, as it simply doesn't have the raw power.
* SubToxic is a possible set, but it loses out on a lot of defensive utility, which is what Mantine should be providing.
* Other utility options such Mirror Coat can be run if they are useful for your team.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, notably Tapu Koko and Thundurus, can easily threaten Mantine with their Electric-type STAB moves.

**Strong Attackers** Pokémon that carry super effective coverage or have sheer power such as Magearna running Volt Switch or Landorus-T using Supersonic Skystrike can easily KO Mantine, especially after Stealth Rock.

**Stealth Rock** Stealth Rock makes Mantine lose 1/4 of its health every time it tries to switch in, which makes it hard to provide utility.

**Grass-types** Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Ferrothorn can easily wall non-Air Slash Mantine, as most are immune to Toxic and resist Scald. Ferrothorn does not like to be burned, however.

**Residual Damage** Pokemon that use Toxic or Will-O-Wisp like Toxapex, Alolan Marowak, and opposing Mantine can greatly reduce Mantine's capabilities by reducing its longevity.

**Rock-types** Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion threaten Mantine with high-powered Rock-type STAB moves, though they must often be wary of Scald.

**Taunt** Taunt users such as Tornadus-T and Tapu Fini can easily shut Mantine down, preventing it from recovering, Defogging, or providing any utility.

Last edited:
Not QC but you need to flesh out your bullet points a bit more. Explain in detail, don't just make generic statements. As for actual content, I would suggest adding ground type Pokémon such as Excadrill to the team options section, as it can spin rocks away and provide a nice electric immunity. It also walls Tapu Koko to oblivion, and can even set up stealth rock itself. In return, Mantine easily sponges water type moves. You should also mention that Mantine appreciates cleric support to be less susceptible to Toxic. You also mention to avoid electric types and alolan ninetales in the usage tips but that is more suited for the checks and counters section.

Just a few things I noticed, I'm sure QC will elaborate on more things as needed.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Like Omicron, I agree that you should expand on some of the points you made. For example which Taunt users shut Mantine down? What Physical attackers does Mega-Venusaur wall, If so what types of Physical attackers? Why does it synergize with stallmons like Ferrothorn? Who does it wall since you said "walls a ton of stuff"? This might be a personal problem but, it just seems and looks quite rushed with the combination of incomplete sentences, grammatical errors and vague claims. I feel the QC will have to help expand on some of the points you made which is not too ideal.

Anyways, for team options, include Dugtrio since it traps Electric-types like Raikou, Magnezone and Xurkitree. Hazard haters like Volcarona, Mega Pinsir and Alolan Marowak also appreciate Mantine being able to remove rocks.
For usage, talk about when you should bring in Mantine and which mons it can take advantage of to Defog hazards away
For checks and counters, Grass-types like Mega-Venusaur, Amoonguss and Serperior also seem like a problem as long as Mantine does not carry Air Slash since they resist Scald and don't mind burn or are immune to Toxic. Just Tapu Bulu, Ferrothorn and Kartanna must be wary of Scald burns.
For other options, list Agility and also the offensive options like Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Air Slash, HP [Grass/Electric], and maybe Signal Beam. Also, Confuse Ray, Tailwind and Mirror Coat warrant some sort of mention imo. Maybe a Charti Berry mention to weaken Rock type moves so Mantine can fireback with Scald.

edit- For the overview, talk about Mantine's defensive typing to expand on the "walls a ton of stuff"
**Pokemon with Super-Effective Coverage** pokemon that carry SE coverage, like Tapu Lele and Lando-T can easily KO mantine.
I don't think I have seen a Tapu Lele carrying Thunderbolt since Focus Blast + HP Fire are better coverage for her. I think you should talk about Starmie (Thunderbolt) or Dugtrio (Stone Edge) instead.

Last edited:
Is it worth mentioning that 76 Speed EVs are an option to outrun uninvested Buzzwole (to Air Slash before it hits you or Haze before it can Taunt you)?

I feel like most of the time Buzzwole would probably already be running some speed on his own, so I'm not sure if it is necessary
Yea, the only sets that aren't running Speed are fully SpDef sets and the physical tank set. Otherwise, they're running speed and sometimes ThunderPunch, so sacrificing quite a bit of bulk is IMO unnecessary.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd definitely talk about Mantine getting Roost somewhere in the "buff" sentence of the overview, because that's pretty huge otherwise it would still be shit.

I'm not sure how I feel about Air Slash being the primary slash over Toxic. While Air Slash is nice, most of the Pokemon it hits with Air Slash are crippled by Toxic anyway; Buzzwole and Pheromosa are very frail on special side and wont like taking Scalds, Keldeo and fat waters hate being hit by Toxic. I'd slash it after Toxic, but if it were up to me I'd just throw it in set details or something, I just really dislike it.

Go into a bit more detail on why physical investment is better on Mantine. While it does nicely versus Protean Greninja, the biggest draw it has over full SpD, is that it can take on strong physical attackers better such as Pheromosa, Alolan Marowak, Buzzwole, and CB Genesect, which can otherwise deal large chunks of damage overtime. It allows it to take on a wider range of threats.

I wouldn't say that Mantine demolishes rain. When is the last time you haven't seen a rain team pack a Tapu Koko? It's definitely worth mentioning that it's a fantastic check to Kingdra, but rain definitely has ways to handle Mantine to a point where the word "demolishing" isn't a very accurate way to describe Mantine's match up versus it.

**Electric Types**: Electric types, notably Tapu Koko and Xurkitree, can easily threaten Mantine with 4x electric STAB.

**Pokemon with Super-Effective Coverage** Pokémon that carry SE coverage, like Tapu Bulu's Stone Edge and Starmie's Thunderbolt can easily KO Mantine
Tapu Bulu is sort of a bad example because all it has to do is click Wood Hammer versus Mantine and it dies anyway. Maybe mention Genesect's Thunderbolt instead. Also I feel like you should replace Xurkitree with Thundurus just because Xurk is an overhyped piece of shit and Thundurus is actually good despite what usage says.

**Taunt** Taunt users such as Comfey and Tapu Fini can easily shut Mantine down, preventing it from recovering, defogging or providing any utility
Comfey is completely irrelevant. Tornadus-T is probably the most relevant user of Taunt besides Tapu Fini which doesn't really mind Mantine that much.

After that stuff has been implemented QC 1/3

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Overview

• walls a ton of stuff by its great typing such as pheromosa, Charizard-Y and kartana
(+2 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 340-402 (90.9 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO)

I'd change "wall" to "check" since these Pokemon can break through Mantine if it's been worn down + rocks are up. Also add Buzzwole and CB Genesect.
Usage Tips

• avoid electric types, as they can easily KO you in one swift move.
Instead of saying this (because it's obvious) mention that it should be wary of Electric-type moves. Hidden Power Electric from Volcanion, Thunderbolt from Latios/expert belt Genesect, etc.

take advantage of rain teams, mantine demolishes them. It can toxic everything, sponge any water hits, beat kingdra and also take advantage of the rain itself to fire off boosted Scalds.
This isn't much of a tip considering Mantine users will almost always do these things anyway.

freeze-dry users, albeit rare, deal a lot of damage to mantine with 4x effectivity and mantine can't do much in return.
Freeze Dry is found exclusively on Ice-types and pretty much all of them barring Ninetales and Mamoswine aren't viable in standard (and Mamoswine doesn't really carry it) It's not relevant.

You need to tell how one might use Mantine beyond the obvious. For example, it typically works best on balance teams that want an answer to crazy powerful Special attackers like Specs Greninja. It's a defogger but vulnerable to Stealth Rock itself so you need to learn how to play around that. Mantine loses to most hazard users 1v1. It needs to use Defog on a Pokemon it can force out, which puts it at risk of being knocked out by powerful special attackers. Keeping it healthy with Roost is extremely important. These are just some of the concerns when using Mantine.

Team Options
  • lightning rod a-wak is really good because it deals with elecs + freeze dry users which are mantine's bane. it also has really good synergy type-wise due to mantine taking ground and water attacks for it, and using defog to take rocks off the field (which a-wak hates)
See above re: Freeze dry users.

Checks & Counters

• Kartana is an extremely poor switch in. Don't mention it.
  • Remove the Freeze-dry section.
Overall, I'm a little concerned because it feels like you haven't actually tested Mantine in standard. You're going to have to step up your game or this analysis will be re-assigned.

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
thoughts on making the ev spread 252 hp / 240 def / 16 spd calm?

generic jump point stuff and its generally more efficient to put the boosting nature into the higher stat ~_~

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
thoughts on making the ev spread 252 hp / 240 def / 16 spd calm?

generic jump point stuff and its generally more efficient to put the boosting nature into the higher stat ~_~
Yeah I'm definitely down with this.

---

Anyway, the analysis is looking better than before so good job on that. Still a few lingering issues that need addressing though:

Overview

I'd change CB Genesect to "Genesect w/o Thunderbolt" and add Volcanion too.

Usage Tips

* avoid electric moves, as they can easily KO you
Without the examples I provided this line just sounds silly. Be sure to add them!

* Mantine works best on balance teams which need an answer to very strong special attackers, like Manaphy, Specs Greninja, and Scarf Tapu Lele.
Tapu Lele cleanly 2HKOes with Psychic after Stealth Rock so Mantine's a really poor answer to it. Just mention Volcanion and Genesect w/o Thunderbolt instead.

* Mantine can have trouble Defogging because it is weak to Stealth Rock itself and most hazard setters can 1v1 it and come out on top. It should ideally use Defog on something it can force out, like Dugtrio
They occasionally carry Stone Edge so it's kind of a risky play. Scarf locked Genesect into a move that doesn't hurt you or Volcanion is better.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
mention max defense as a spread still, there's definitely tangible benefits to it. otherwise, just usage tips stuff...
* take advantage of rain teams, mantine does well against them. It can toxic everything, sponge any water hits, beat kingdra and also take advantage of the rain itself to fire off boosted Scalds. Most rain teams carry Tapu Koko, however, which threatens Mantine.
how accurate is this actually? mantine is pressured hard by rain electrics and electric coverage (looking at genesect as a major example here), and with rocks up it is pretty sketchy against kingdra specs draco. the only thing mantine really does vs rain is check buzzwole and help deal with water move spam, which is good and definitely helpful but not that exceptional. in any case, this isn't really a usage tip but more something to put in team options.
* Mantine works best on balance teams which need an answer to very strong special attackers, like Manaphy, Specs Greninja, Volcanion, and Genesect not running Thunderbolt.
this is a type of team mantine fits on, not a part of using mantine
It is crucial that one keeps Mantine healthy with Roost, even at 3/4 of its health its utility is greatly migitated.
this is more of what i want to see. specify stealth rock (though it is implied) and specify that you should generally prioritize keeping mantine at max health over attacking or even using defog, depending on the scenario. the reason is because if mantine has to switch into rocks, it needs to be pretty much at absolute max health or it is nearly useless.

last thing: fsr volcanion is mentioned like 4 times in this analysis, it's not a top metagame-relevant mon and there are plenty of other things mantine can check or force out so mention those. the specific locations are the overview, where you should just mention a different mon that mantine checks. include greninja with hp electric and find something else to mention that mantine forces out in the usage tip where you say that, instead of volcanion.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey man
add remove

mantine | #226 | kite pokemon
qc [Gary / PK Gaming / N/A]
gp[N/A]
[OVERVIEW]

* massive buff in roost and an increase in HP lets is properly wall, sponge and provide utility through typing, bulk, haze and defog You mention the same down below
* decent utility with defog / haze / scald and toxic, which can provide valuable team support
* amazing 140 spd combined with decent 85 HP makes it scarily specially bulky
* checks a ton of stuff by its great typing such as Pheromosa, Charizard-Y, Genesect without Thunderbolt, and Buzzwole. Buzz carry tpunch and Genesect is banned, mention insted Heatran
* 4x weak to electric which is a great offensive type in the metagame
* weak to SR, which limits when it can switch in and what it can switch in to
* momentum sucker, as it is slow and when forced out an ally has to take the hit
* bad physdef, which means that strong physical attackers can often break through it

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* scald is STAB that can help with mantises' defence by burning the opponent. it provides good chip damage and lets mantine spread burns.
* roost is mandatory recovery which allows mantine to properly wall and provide utility, otherwise Mantine is worn down very quickly
* defog deals with hazards for the team, and also lets mantine come in more later and provide more utility
* air slash deals with a lot of the things mantine comes on in such as pheromosa and keldeo, and provides dual STAB
* haze prevents it being setup fodder for a lot of things it can't get past, such as Jirachi and Magearna
add mention of toxic to wear down bulky waters

Set Details
========
* EVs maximize balanced bulk and help Mantine tank strong physical hits like Greninja's Gunk Shot.
* Fully special could be run but physical is generally better because it allows Mantine to check a wider range of threats such as Pheromosa, CB Genesect, and Alolan Marowak which can otherwise muscle past Mantine. add that mantine already posses a naturally good special bulk
* Fully physical could be run as it maximizes Mantine's ability to take physical hits but a mixed spread has more benefits as it allows Mantine to switch into special attacks as well.
* Calm nature is put in to boost the higher stat
* Leftovers is very helpful for extra healing at the end of each turn and greatly increases Mantine's longevity

Usage Tips
========

* avoid electric moves, such as HP Electric from Volcanion, and Thunderbolt from both Tapu Koko and Latios. They can easily KO you.
* toxic is really bad for mantine because it prevents it from functioning for long, so try not to let mantine face up against Pokémon that probably know toxic
* Mantine can have trouble Defogging because it is weak to Stealth Rock itself and most hazard setters can 1v1 it and come out on top. It should ideally use Defog on something it can force out, like Alolan-Marowak.
* It is crucial that one keeps Mantine healthy with Roost, even after one round of Stealth Rock, its utility is greatly mitigated. Generally, prioritize using Roost over another move.
mention that haze and toxic are crucial to avoid being a setup fodder, also mention how u can spread toxic on switchings.

Team Options
========

* Lightning Rod Alolan-Marowak is really good because it deals with Electric moves which are Mantine's bane. it also has really good synergy type-wise due to Mantine taking ground and water attacks for it, and using defog to take rocks off the field (which a-wak hates)
* Mantine synergises with a lot of stallmons like Ferrothorn, Amoonguss and Quagsire through typing and utility provided because they can absorb most attacks for each other mention some examples like those mons can take on RotomW while mantine handle heatran for grass types
* Things that can deal with physical attackers that threaten Mantine, such as Mega Venusaur. Venusaur counters threats like Tyranitar quite well, and Mantine can deal with the Fire types which force out Venusaur.id say mega venu counters tyranitar as i cannot sinthesys up in sand, mention pokemon that can take rock and electric types, such as hippowdon, landot, etc.
* Ground types which can easily absorb Electric moves, notably Dugtrio and Excadrill which can trap and spin respectively. Mantine also absorbs water-type moves for them, and they can both set rocks.
*Clerics such as Chansey can remove Mantine's poison, which is very helpful. Mantine can also provide Haze as most clerics are susceptible to being set up on.
* Mantine works best on balance teams which need an answer to very strong special attackers, like Manaphy, Specs Greninja, Keldeo, and Genesect not running Thunderbolt. this is more usage tips

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* rocky helmet can be used to discourage pokemon from repeatedly physically attacking you, such as Pheromosa U-turning
* could go offensive with specs or rain dance, but mantine's stat spread and movepool is much better suited to a utility set just say could work as Swift swin sweeper howevers it doesnt have enough raw power
* sub+toxic is a possible set, but it loses out on a lot of defensive utility which is what mantine should be providing
* other utility options such as Confuse Ray, Mirror Coat and Tailwind can be run if they are useful for your team

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric Types**: Electric types, notably Tapu Koko and Thundurus, can easily threaten Mantine with 4x electric STAB.

**Pokemon with Super-Effective Coverage Strong Attackers** Pokémon that carry SE coverage, like Genesect and Starmie's tapu lele's Thunderbolt can easily KO Mantine only after rocks add mentions of Lando-t as can HKO after rocks mantine with Stone Edge or Z-Fly. Also add HP Electric Greninja and Pheromosa

**Grass-types** Grass types such as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and Ferrothorn can easily wall non-air slash Mantine, as most are immune to Toxic and resist Scald. Ferrothorn does not like to be burned, however.

**Toxic users Residual Damage** Pokemon that use Toxic like Toxapex and opposing Mantine can greatly reduce Mantine's in battle capabilities by reducing its longevity, Will-o-wisp A-Marowak too.

**Stealth Rock** Stealth Rock makes Mantine lose 1/4 of its health every time it tries to switch in, which makes it hard to provide utility
add section of rock types like tyranitar and terrakion, and mention how they can hko mantine but should be aware of scald burn

**Taunt** Taunt users such as Tornadus-T and Tapu Fini can easily shut Mantine down, preventing it from recovering, defogging or providing any utility
Alright implement that
QC 3/3:toast:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tapu Lele doesn't carry Thunderbolt often. Volt Switch Magearna and Thunder(bolt) Latios are probably more common than Thunderbolt Lele.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]

* Massive buff in Roost and an increase in a base 85 HP lets is stat let Mantine properly wall, sponge, (AC) and provide utility through its typing and bulk. (AP)
* It has decent utility with access to Defog, Haze, Scald, and Toxic, (AC) which can let it provide valuable team support. (AP)
* An amazing base 140 Special Defense stat of 140 combined with decent 85 HP makes it scarily specially bulky. (AP)
* It checks many common threats such as Pheromosa, Mega Charizard Y, and Heatran due to its great typing such as Pheromosa, Mega Charizard Y, and Heatran.
* It's 4x weak to Electric, a great offensive type in the metagame, which often prevents it from providing utility. (AP)
* It's weak to Stealth Rock, which limits when it can its ability to switch in and what it can switch in to. (AP)
* It's a momentum sucker, as it is slow and when forced out an ally has to take the hit. (AP)
* It has bad physical Defense, which means that strong physical attackers can often break through it. (AP)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Scald is STAB that can help with Mantine's Defense by burning the opponent foe. It provides good chip damage and lets Mantine spread burns and is Mantine's primary STAB move.
* Roost is mandatory for recovery, (AC) as it which allows Mantine to properly wall and provide utility, otherwise Mantine it is worn down very quickly. (AP)
* Defog deals with entry hazards for the team, (RC) and also lets Mantine come in more often later in the match and provide more utility. (AP)
* Air Slash deals with a lot of the things Pokemon that Mantine can come switch in on such as Pheromosa and Keldeo, and it provides dual STAB coverage. (AP)
* Haze prevents it being setup fodder for a lot of things the Pokemon that it can't get past, such as Jirachi and Magearna. (AP)
* (add space) Toxic allows Mantine to wear down opposing bulky opposing Water-types. (AP)

Set Details
========
(add blank line)
* The EV spread allows for EVs maximize balanced bulk and help helps Mantine tank strong physical hits like Greninja's Gunk Shot.
* Fully special could Maximum Special Defense investment can be run used, (AC) but physical the current EV spread is generally better because it allows Mantine to check a wider range of threats such as Pheromosa and Alolan Marowak, (AC) which can otherwise muscle past Mantine it.
* Fully physical could Maximum Defense investment can be run used as well, (AC) as it maximizes Mantine's ability to take physical hits, (AC) as it already has great Special Defense, but Mantine often wants to switch into special attacks, (AC) which it can't do as well without a mixed EV spread.
* A Calm nature is put in to further boost the higher stat Mantine's Special Defense. (AP)
* Leftovers is very helpful for extra healing at the end of each turn and greatly increases Mantine's longevity. (AP)
(remove blank line)

Usage Tips
========

* Avoid Electric-type moves, such as HP Hidden Power Electric from Volcanion, (RC) and Thunderbolt from both Tapu Koko and Latios. (RP) They can easily KO you.
* Toxic is really bad for Mantine because it prevents it from functioning for long, so try not to let Mantine face up against Pokemon (no accented e) that probably know commonly use Toxic. (AP)
* Mantine can have trouble Defogging because it is weak to Stealth Rock itself and most entry hazard setters can beat it one-on-one 1v1 it and come out on top. It should ideally use Defog on something it can scare forces out, like Alolan Marowak (RH).
* Haze and Toxic are staples for Mantine, (AC) as they prevent it from becoming complete setup fodder. Mantine can often safely go for Toxic on a predicted switch, but if Mantine it is at lower health, one it should use Roost.
* It is crucial that one keeps you keep Mantine healthy with Roost, (RC) because even after one round of Stealth Rock damage, its utility is greatly mitigated. Generally, prioritize using Roost over another move.
* Mantine works best on balance teams that need an answer to very strong special attackers, like Manaphy, Choice Specs Greninja, and Keldeo. (moved to team options)

Team Options
========

* Mantine works best on balance teams that need an answer to strong special attackers, like Manaphy, Choice Specs Greninja, and Keldeo.
* Lightning Rod Alolan Marowak (RH) is really good because it deals with Electric-type moves, (AC) which are Mantine's bane threaten Mantine. It also has really good type synergy type-wise due to Mantine taking Ground and Water attacks and clearing entry hazards for it, and using Defog to take Stealth Rock off the field, (RC) which Alolan Marowak (RH) hates.
* Mantine synergises synergizes with a lot of Pokemon commonly found on stall like Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, (AC) and Quagsire through typing and utility provided because they can absorb most attacks for each other. Bulky grasses Grass-types deal quite well with threats like Rotom-Wash, and Mantine can take on Heatran for them in return.
* Things Pokemon that can deal with physical attackers that threaten Mantine, such as Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, are good teammates because they counter. (RP) Venusaur counters threats like Landorus-Therian quite well, and Mantine can deal with the Fire-types (AH) which that force them out Venusaur. (made it more vague because Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat and normally can take care of fire-types somewhat competently)
* Ground-types like Dugtrio, which can trap and KO threats, and Excadrill, which can clear entry hazards for Mantine, can absorb Electric-type moves for it easily and set up Stealth Rock, and Mantine absorbs the Water-type moves that threaten them. can easily absorb Electric-type moves, notably Dugtrio and Excadrill, (AC) which can trap and spin respectively. Mantine also absorbs Water-type moves for them, and they can both set Stealth Rock.
* (add space) Clerics such as Chansey can remove Mantine's status, which is very helpful. Mantine can also provide Haze, (AC) as most clerics are susceptible to being set up on.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Rocky Helmet can be used to discourage Pokemon such as U-turn Pheromosa from repeatedly physically attacking you Mantine. (AP), (RC) such as Pheromosa U-turning
* Mantine could go offensive with a Swift Swim set, but Mantine it functions much better as a utility provider, (AC) as it simply doesn't have the raw power. (AP)
* Substitute+Toxic SubToxic is a possible set, but it loses out on a lot of defensive utility, (AC) which is what Mantine should be providing. (AP)
* Other utility options such Mirror Coat can be run if they are useful for your team. (AP)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types (AH), notably Tapu Koko and Thundurus, can easily threaten Mantine with 4x their Electric-type STAB moves.

**Strong Attackers** Pokemon that carry SE super effective coverage or have sheer power such as Magearna running Volt Switch or Landorus-Therian using Z-Fly Supersonic Skystrike can easily KO Mantine, especially after Stealth Rock.

**Stealth Rock** Stealth Rock makes Mantine lose 1/4 of its health every time it tries to switch in, which makes it hard to provide utility. (AP)

**Grass-types** Grass-types (AH) such as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, (AC) and Ferrothorn can easily wall non-Air Slash Mantine, as most are immune to Toxic and resist Scald. Ferrothorn does not like to be burned, however.

**Residual Damage** Pokemon that use Toxic or Will-O-Wisp like Toxapex, Alolan Marowak (AH), (AC) and opposing Mantine can greatly reduce Mantine's in battle capabilities by reducing its longevity. (AP)

**Rock-types** Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion threaten Mantine with high-powered Rock-type STAB moves, though they must often be wary of Scald.

**Taunt** Taunt users such as Tornadus-Therian and Tapu Fini can easily shut Mantine down, preventing it from recovering, Defogging, (AC) or providing any utility. (AP)
please read over your analyses more carefully, GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)