LC Mantyke

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
QC: Mambo Corporal Levi Obvious Power
GP: Winry. Weebl
Taken over from Bagon

Overview
#######
Mantyke is a unique Pokemon, as it is an amazing special wall that also has an offensive presence. It resists a good amount of types and has a very crucial immunity to Ground, giving it nice synergy with a decent number of Pokemon. To couple with Mantyke's defensive aspects, it boasts two nice offensive STAB moves in Hydro Pump and Air Slash, which can threaten many common threats in the tier. While it doesn't have the best abilities, both of them allow for Mantyke to play its various roles much more efficiently. The biggest downside to Mantyke is its crippling Electric-type weakness, despite its amazing Special Defense. It is also weak to Stealth Rock and has lackluster HP and Defense stats, though those are easily overshadowed by Mantyke's prowess as a special wall.

Rain Dance
########
name: Rain Dance
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Rain Dance
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Grass
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb / Eviolite
evs: 76 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 196 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========
Rain Dance gives Mantyke amazing opportunities as an offensive Pokemon, both doubling its already decent Speed and boosting the power of its main STAB move, Hydro Pump, to ridiculous levels. Even outside of rain, Hydro Pump leaves huge dents in Pokemon that do not resist it. Air Slash is the secondary STAB move Mantyke should use, allowing it to take on both Grass- and Fighting-type Pokemon. Either Hidden Power Ground or Grass should be used in the final moveslot; both have their advantages depending on the situation. Hidden Power Ground nails Electric-type Pokemon extremely hard, its primary targets being weakened Chinchou and Magnemite. On the other hand, Hidden Power Grass nails Shell Smash Tirtouga much harder than Hidden Power Ground while still doing respectable damage to opposing Chinchou and Slowpoke.

Set Details
========
The EVs optimize Mantyke's Special Attack and Speed, allowing it to take advantage of the set to deal massive amounts of damage to opposing Pokemon when coupled with a Modest nature. 36 EVs are placed into Defense, giving Mantyke a better shot at surviving certain physical attacks, such as Drilbur's Rock Slide and Pawniard's Sucker Punch. 36 Defense EVs also hit an Eviolite number if Mantyke is holding it. Running a Life Orb allows Mantyke to hit much harder, though it is more difficult to set up rain, whereas with an Eviolite, Mantyke can set up rain very easily at the expense of some power. If Life Orb is being held, it is wise to run no HP investment and only 9 HP IVs, as it allows Mantyke to hit 19 HP and causes it to only take 1 HP from Life Orb recoil.

Usage Tips
========
The first priority when attempting to sweep with Mantyke is to remove Pokemon such as Chinchou, Magnemite, and Pokemon with Sturdy, as they can stop Mantyke cold in its tracks. After such threats are removed, Mantyke can set up rain to allow it to plow through opposing teams. The best time to set up rain is against Pokemon that Mantyke can scare out, namely Fighting- and Ground-types such as Mienfoo and Timburr. Mantyke can also set up rain against Drilbur if Stealth Rock is not up. However, if Mantyke has taken prior Stealth Rock damage, Drilbur is able to OHKO it. Another group of Pokemon that Mantyke can set up rain on would be Fire-type Pokemon that lack an Electric-type move, namely Larvesta and, to a lesser extent, Darumaka. However, Mantyke does not need rain to function, as it can still hit opposing Pokemon for a lot of damage on anticipated switches.

Team Options
========
Diglett is a nice teammate for Mantyke, as it is able to dispose of threats such as Chinchou and Pawniard while still being able to set up Stealth Rock. Drilbur is another Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock to benefit Mantyke, but unlike Diglett, Drilbur can spin away opposing Stealth Rock as well, which benefits Mantyke immensely. Ferroseed is a more defensive teammate for Mantyke, being able to take advantage of the rain to set up entry hazards and dispose of Chinchou for Mantyke. Pawniard can also aide in Mantyke's sweep by removing Eviolite from opposing walls, namely Porygon and Slowpoke.

RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Scald
move 4: Air Slash
ability: Water Absorb
item: Eviolite
evs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD / 36 Spe
nature: Calm

Moves
========
Rest keeps Mantyke alive and able to act as a great special wall for large portions of the battle. Sleep Talk lets Mantyke potentially attack opposing Pokemon after it has healed up and while it is still asleep. Scald damages opposing Pokemon and has the chance to cripple physical attackers by burning them. Air Slash prevents Mantyke from being entirely walled by Grass-types such as Pumpkaboo and Foonguss.

Set Details
========
156 EVs are placed into HP to allow for Mantyke to have more longevity. 196 EVs are placed into Defense, while 116 are put into Special Defense, increasing Mantyke' overall bulk. The EV spread's focus stays more on Defense, as Mantyke already has a ridiculously high Special Defense stat. The final 36 EVs are put into Speed, allowing Mantyke to outspeed a good deal of Pokemon, most notably Pumpkaboo.

Usage Tips
========
Mantyke should always take advantage of situations in which it can use Rest in order to keep it effective as a bulky wall. Removing Electric-type Pokemon that threaten Mantyke is a good idea, though not entirely necessary. The only issue with not disposing of them is the opponent gaining momentum with Volt Switch, which can be detrimental.

Team Options
========
Ferroseed is a great partner for defensive Mantyke, as it can set up entry hazards and is a safe switch-in to the Electric-type attacks that threaten Mantyke. In addition, Mantyke can take the Fire-type attacks that threaten Ferroseed. Both Magnemite and Lileep also synergize nicely with Mantyke while providing an offensive option to remove threats. As a more defensive partner, Chinchou works wonders in tandem with Mantyke, as Volt Absorb makes it immune to Electric-type attacks. Mantyke is, in return, immune to Ground-type attacks. Chinchou also has access to Heal Bell, meaning that Mantyke doesn't have to be as reliant on Sleep Talk to attack. Drilbur helps alleviate the entry hazard issues Mantyke faces while still being able to beat most Electric-type Pokemon for Mantyke. Pawniard is able to remove defensive threats through the use of Knock Off, leaving them in range of Mantyke's Scald or as Rest fodder. Mantyke on its own works best on more defensively inclined teams, providing a solid switch-in to many special attackers, namely Abra. Offensive teams do not appreciate the drop in momentum of using Mantyke.

Other Options
########
Surf can be run as a primary Water-type STAB move, however, Mantyke misses Hydro Pump's sheer power and Scald's potential to inflict burns. Mantyke can use Agility over Rain Dance and still get a Speed boost, but it misses out on the boost in power ofWater-type attacks and loses the Speed boost upon switching out. Ice Beam and Signal Beam can be used as other coverage moves on an offensive set. For a more supportive role, Tailwind can be used to aid teammates. Mantyke can also run Haze to surprise setup sweepers and eliminate their stat boosts. Alternatively, to better combat specially oriented setup sweepers, Mantyke can run Mirror Coat to take advantage of its absurd Special Defense stat.

Checks & Counters
########
**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Chinchou, Magnemite, and Elekid, have a 4x type advantage on Mantyke and can threaten it with a STAB Electric-type move. Chinchou in particular is able to take on Mantyke, as it resists Water- and Flying-type moves.

**Sturdy Users**: Sturdy users, such as Magnemite, Tirtouga, and Dwebble, have no problem taking a hit from and dealing back damage to Mantyke. Pokemon with Shell Smash and Sturdy can always set up if there are no entry hazards on the field and OHKO Mantyke with a STAB Rock-type move.

**Water-Types**: Most Water-types, including Slowpoke and Chinchou, take little damage from any of Mantyke's attacks. Chinchou especially threatens Mantyke, as it resists both of Mantyke's STAB moves and can deliver devastating attacks in return.

**Physical Attackers**: Hard hitting physical attackers such as Pawniard and Tirtouga can beat Mantyke easily by Knocking Off its item. Tirtouga can also threaten Mantyke with a STAB Rock-type move.

Last edited:
Just a reminder to add the "name" tag: it should look like this.

Rain Dance
########

I know you already know, but it looks like you missed it this time.

slayerx725232

Haha, sorry, I kinda copy pasted the previous one while on my phone, and my phone doesn't do that fancy smancy editing very well. I'll fix it once I'm back on a computer.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
- 60 SpA isn't all that low, I would reword that to "decent"

Moveset:
- You have 196 SpD (which is Special Defense) but you reference Speed later in the Moves section, so be sure to change SpD to Spe
- I would slash Life Orb prior to Eviolite, as the set is focused on sweeping and Life Orb is more oriented for this role
- Hidden Power Grass is worth a slash behind Hidden Power Ground, letting Mantyke hit Slowpoke for super effective damage and hitting defensive Tirtouga, which, unless Mantyke is Life Orb, can take a Rain-boosted Hydro Pump and retaliate with a Rock-type move

Set Details:
- Don't say you "dump" all the leftover EVs in bulk. Why don't you invest in Special Defense instead? Make sure you elaborate on your reasoning.

Usage Tips:
- Mention how Mantyke doesn't always need to set Rain Dance for itself on its first turn; it's still quite potent without it and nailing an unsuspecting switch-in can be quite beneficial
- Change the wording about Fighting-types and Ground-types because Mantyke doesn't want to take a Knock Off from Mienfoo / Timburr or a Rock Slide from Drilbur; its ability to set Rain on these Pokemon relies on scaring them out with its dual STABs that hit both types super effectively

Team Options:
- I would add in a mention of Knock Off users to soften up opposing walls that Mantyke simply cannot break through (without some Air Slash hax), such as Slowpoke or Porygon

Other Options:
- Personally, I think RestTalk deserves its own set, as Mantyke is rather bulky and Air Slash / Scald is just brutal. The set also utilizes Water Absorb, letting Mantyke "soak" up hits.
- Mention Agility because it's pretty much a pseudo-Rain Dance with ceaseless +2 Speed but without the added Water-type boost
- Remove the mention of a physical set because, as unique as it may be, it merits nothing over the superior special set
- Mention Haze (and I guess Mirror Coat to an extent), as it can allow Mantyke to reliably check specially-oriented boosting sweepers

Checks and Counters:
- Go into more detail regarding Chinchou because it's the only Electric-type that can handle Mantyke, Rain or no Rain.

QC 1/3

tehy

Banned deucer.
So, what are the actual benefits of HP ground over HP grass?

The following calcs are without a life orb, just to prove you don't have any use for hp ground

200+ SpA Mantyke Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 16-19 (84.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19)

Of course, if rain is up you OHKO, and without rain you 2hitko very easily. Sturdy is your only problem and HP Ground doesn't beat that either.

Maybe you say, i want an accurate way to weaken it if i predict it on the switch-in!!? Here you go then

200+ SpA Mantyke Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 3-4 (15.7 - 21%) -- possible 5HKO
(3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4)

Magnemite has 19 hp, so the two always 2hitko. This also goes for air slash.

So far, hp ground just provides a more accurate second hit.

That said, defensive tirt is 2 shotted by LO hydro , so LO hp grass is just 2 more accurate hits. However, on Eviolite, HP Grass is by far the superior option.

On slowpoke and co, hp grass does the same as air slash, though oddly on slowpoke the calc decided hp was base 70 again and ignored my attempts at changing it

Only evio magnemite spread i could find was this

200+ SpA Mantyke Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Magnemite: 9-12 (47.3 - 63.1%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
(9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12)

One more thing Mambo , not a big fan of 'surprise value' because the surprise is that you're not an unviable/OO set. Yes i know it's used a lot, but apparently it shouldn't be and as such won't be used by good players and will eventually be phazed out (except by ladder trash).

slayerx725232

So, what are the actual benefits of HP ground over HP grass?

The following calcs are without a life orb, just to prove you don't have any use for hp ground

200+ SpA Mantyke Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 16-19 (84.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19)

Of course, if rain is up you OHKO, and without rain you 2hitko very easily. Sturdy is your only problem and HP Ground doesn't beat that either.

Maybe you say, i want an accurate way to weaken it if i predict it on the switch-in!!? Here you go then

200+ SpA Mantyke Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 3-4 (15.7 - 21%) -- possible 5HKO
(3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4)

Magnemite has 19 hp, so the two always 2hitko. This also goes for air slash.

So far, hp ground just provides a more accurate second hit.

That said, defensive tirt is 2 shotted by LO hydro , so LO hp grass is just 2 more accurate hits. However, on Eviolite, HP Grass is by far the superior option.

On slowpoke and co, hp grass does the same as air slash, though oddly on slowpoke the calc decided hp was base 70 again and ignored my attempts at changing it

Only evio magnemite spread i could find was this

200+ SpA Mantyke Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Magnemite: 9-12 (47.3 - 63.1%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
(9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12)

One more thing Mambo , not a big fan of 'surprise value' because the surprise is that you're not an unviable/OO set. Yes i know it's used a lot, but apparently it shouldn't be and as such won't be used by good players and will eventually be phazed out (except by ladder trash).
Okay, love how fine and dandy all of this sums up to be, but just one question: mind explaining at all what point you are trying to convey? You start going off on a tangent about how HP Grass is superior to HP Ground, which it is in certain regards, but then all of a sudden you're showing calcs of HP Grass against a Magnemite, with no exact purpose. If anything, you are being counterproductive in showing how HP Grass does jackshit to the primary target of Ground. And with the whole Magnemite thing, you're implying that no hazards would be up, which is very situational on its own, practically nullifying that point. Both of the Hidden Powers are both situational and are technically just filler that somewhat help it (Mantyke) deal with Pokemon that Hydro Pump and Air Slash cannot. And I'm 99% certain that that target is Chinchou most times, where BOTH HIDDEN POWERS do the exact same amount of damage. To make matters worse, what you end this off on is more slander against Grass, going against the main point you were trying to make, which is just utterly moronic. Stick to one point if you're going to argue something as menial as a filler move. Thank you very kindly. P.S.: The max damage roll for a Life Orb Air Slash from Mantyke against a defensive Slowpoke is the exact same as the MINIMUM roll from HP Grass. Yet another 'moot point', so to say. So kindly, to sum this whole rant up, stick to one point if you want to argue, especially over a trivial filler move. Thank you very much, take care.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I didn't mention anything about surprise value, so I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to with this; however, I'll gladly go into more depth on why I chose the additions and subtractions I included in my QC check if you don't think they're up to par.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Okay, love how fine and dandy all of this sums up to be, but just one question: mind explaining at all what point you are trying to convey?
Hp grass>hp ground?
You start going off on a tangent about how HP Grass is superior to HP Ground, which it is in certain regards, but then all of a sudden you're showing calcs of HP Grass against a Magnemite, with no exact purpose
The purpose was to show HP Grass+Hydro Pump always 2hitkoes magnemite.

. If anything, you are being counterproductive in showing how HP Grass does jackshit to the primary target of Ground. And with the whole Magnemite thing, you're implying that no hazards would be up, which is very situational on its own, practically nullifying that point.
If magnemite switches in, it's 2hitkoed regardless of hazards. If it comes in after a death, hydro pump in rain or with a Life Orb. So HP ground is:

Rain is not up, but hazards are and it's eviolite mantyke.

I'm not saying that can't ever happen, but it seems pretty unlikely. Much less likely than 'defensive tirtouga switches in on eviolite'. Also,
Both of the Hidden Powers are both situational and are technically just filler that somewhat help it (Mantyke) deal with Pokemon that Hydro Pump and Air Slash cannot. And I'm 99% certain that that target is Chinchou most times, where BOTH HIDDEN POWERS do the exact same amount of damage
...good for you? Never argued against any of that.
. To make matters worse, what you end this off on is more slander against Grass, going against the main point you were trying to make, which is just utterly moronic. Stick to one point if you're going to argue something as menial as a filler move. Thank you very kindly. P.S.: The max damage roll for a Life Orb Air Slash from Mantyke against a defensive Slowpoke is the exact same as the MINIMUM roll from HP Grass.
The calc seems to calculate all base 60 moves at base 70 against slowpoke fsr(go check this for yourselves if you want, it happens with some other mons too), with the result that i can't check exact rolls (which sucks since a slight deviation could end up changing 1hp of damage.) That said

60*2=120
75*1.5=112.5

Not a big difference and air slash has flinch chance (albeit miss chance).
Yet another 'moot point', so to say. So kindly, to sum this whole rant up, stick to one point if you want to argue, especially over a trivial filler move. Thank you very much, take care.
To sum it up... you seem to recommend that i only include facts helpful to my argument and conceal relevant counter arguments. This isn't a debate hall, i would prefer being openly wrong to secretly so (not that i am mind you).

btw @ mambo
Usage Tips:
- Mention how Mantyke doesn't always need to set Rain Dance for itself on its first turn; it's still quite potent without it and nailing an unsuspecting switch-in can be quite beneficial

This is nbd because, obv it does have current surprise value, i just like to point out in cases like these that said surprise factor will expire and said switch-in will suspect.

I guess maybe you meant unsuspecting in the sense of expecting rd (sorry if you did) but i don't think you did.

Edit: ...crap, i misread the restalk thing as an oo mention recommendation from mambo. Still second set tho so, not much surprise factor.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

tehy, wording was weird, so not sure how badly I misread your original post (if I misread at all), but pointless bickering from me towards you isn't going to solve anything, so I'll just say it here: the Hidden Power is just about filler, but okay. I'll respect your argument and all of that good stuff, cause once it was clarified slightly, I understand entirely what you were saying.

On a more Mantyke analysis getting closer to completion note: Added the RestTalk set and talked to Mambo about it on Showdown, is 1/3 now.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
Its abilities aren't that great, so say that it "has two decent abilities" instead.
Remove the "one of the best Sun counters" point because the offensive set doesn't do a great job with its weakness to Stealth Rock, and there are better Sun counters than the defensive set as well.

Rain Dance Set Details:
Better reasoning for placing the Defense EVs where they are is that it helps Mantyke better take priority attacks, such as Pawniard's Sucker Punch, and hits Eviolite numbers in case Eviolite is run.

Rain Dance Team Options:
For the Diglett, Drilbur and Pawniard points, mention that they can also set up Stealth Rock.

RestTalk Usage Tips:
  • RestTalk Mantyke works best on bulky offense teams, as it provides a solid switch in to hard-hitting special attacks from Pokemon such as Abra.
This point belongs better under Team Options. Change it to "works best on defensively inclined teams", and mention that offensive teams will not appreciate the significant drop in momentum.

RestTalk Team Options:
Mention Chinchou here; Chinchou discourages the use of Electric-type moves while Mantyke is immune to ground-type moves. Chinchou also has access to Heal Bell so Mantyke is less reliant on Sleep Talk.
Mention Ferroseed, Lileep and Magnemite here as well for their excellent type synergy with Mantyke.
I don't think Diglett is the best of partners because this variant of Mantyke is probably better on defensive teams, which Diglett doesn't quite fit into, so remove that point.

Checks and Counters:
For the Water-types point, replace Omanyte and Tirtouga with Slowpoke because Slowpoke is much better suited to taking Rain-boosted Hydro Pumps.

This was well done
QC 2/3

Rain Dance: Overall Pawniard is mentioned a lot which seems odd because Mantyke OHKOs in rain and Pawniard doesn't threaten to stop the sweep unless Mantyke has taken a lot of prior damage.
Moves:
-The main appeal of using HP Grass is to hit tirtouga, it doesn't make much of a difference in damaging slowpoke, I'd say remove the mention of it.
Air Slash (9, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13)
HP Grass (13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 16)
Usage Tips:
-Mantyke can't set up on Drilbur if Stealth Rocks are up
236 Atk Mold Breaker Drilbur Rock Slide vs. 76 HP / 36 Def Mantyke: 18-22 (81.8 - 100%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
-Mention that it's able to set up against Fire types lacking electric coverage - basically just Wild Charge.

RestTalk: Move the 36 SpA into Speed as this allows you to out-speed Amaura, Smash Tirtouga, Pumpkaboo-super, Honedge, Tyrunt, and Sandshrew. Some of these are more important than others, but it helps against all of them. Unless the 36 SpA gets a notable OHKO or 2HKO, do this.
Set Details:
-If you do the above, replace mention of SpA and say the speed allows it to outspeed many things. The best example would be out-speeding standard Pumpkaboo.
Usage tips:
-Try rephrasing the bit about Electric types, they don't need to be removed from the game to use Mantyke, but rather you sack momentum to volt switch and you can't really do anything to them.

Good work! QC 3/3

slayerx725232

Took a bit over two hours, but this is ready for the final QC says go check.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

Weird wording is a byproduct of being stupid I suppose. Anyways, actually moving this on to GP now.

Before this gets moved to GP I think the Rain Dance set should have 9 HP IVs in it as it allows Mantyke to hit 19 in HP and therefore getting only 1 HP from the Life Orb recoil, however there is Eviolite slashed and the EV spread boosts its HP so maybe just give it a mention in Set Details.

slayerx725232

Okay, added it in; it's in the last sentence of Set Details for the Rain Dance set. Once you give it the okay (ensuring I interpreted it nicely) I'll get this rolling into GP.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP 1/2
Overview
#######
Mantyke is a special Pokemon, (AC) with a great niche in Little Cup: being as it is an amazing special wall while having offensive capabilities that at the same time also has an offensive presence. It resists a good amount of types and has a very crucial immunity to Ground-type attacks, giving it nice synergy with a good deal of Pokemon. To couple with the defensive aspects of Mantyke, it boasts two nice offensive STABs moves which that can threaten many common threats in the tier. While it doesn't have the best abilities, both of them allow for Mantyke to play its various roles much more efficiently. The biggest downside to Mantyke is the crippling Electric-type weakness it possesses, despite its amazing Special Defense. It also does not have has a weakness to Stealth Rock and not the greatest HP and Defense alongside a weakness to Stealth Rock, though those are easily overshadowed by Mantyke's prowess as a special wall.

Rain Dance
########

Moves
========
Rain Dance gives Mantyke amazing opportunities as an offensively based Pokemon, both doubling its already-decent Speed and boosting the power of its main STAB move, (AC) Hydro Pump, (AC) to ridiculous levels. Hydro Pump fulfills that powerful STAB move, (RC) Even outside of rain, (AC) Hydro Pump leavinges huge dents in Pokemon that do not resist it, (RC) even outside of rain. Air Slash is the secondary STAB move Mantyke should use, allowing it to take on both Grass- and Fighting-type Pokemon. The final moveslot is use Either Hidden Power Ground or for a coverage Grass should be used in the final moveslot, (RC) with; (semicolon) both having their advantages depending on the situation. Hidden Power Ground nails Electric-type Pokemon extremely hard, though the its primary targets are being weakened Chinchou and Magnemite. On the other hand, Hidden Power Grass nails Shell Smash Tirtouga much harder than Hidden Power Ground, (RC) while still doing respectable damage to opposing Chinchou and Slowpoke.

Set Details
========
The EVs are first used to optimize Mantyke's Special Attack and Speed, allowing it to take advantage of the set to deal massive amounts of damage to opposing Pokemon when coupled with a Modest nature. 36 EVs are then placed into Defense, giving Mantyke a better shot at surviving certain physical attacks such as Drilbur's Rock Slide or Pawniard's Sucker Punch. 36 EVs also hit Eviolite numbers, (RC) if Mantyke is running Eviolite holding it. Running a Life Orb allows for Mantyke to hit much harder, though it is more difficult to set up rain, whereas with an Eviolite, Mantyke can set up rain very easily at the expense of a certain some power. On the If Life Orb set is being held, 9 HP IVs without any EV investment lets Mantyke hit 19 HP, (RC) thusly taking and causes it to only take 1 HP from Life Orb recoil.

Usage Tips
========
First priority when attempting to sweep with Mantyke is to remove Pokemon such as Chinchou and, (AC) Magnemite, (AC) and Pokemon with alongside other Pokemon with Sturdy Pokemon, (AC) as they can stop Mantyke cold in its tracks. After such threats are removed, Mantyke can set up rain to allow for it to plow through opposing teams. The best time to set up rain is against Pokemon that Mantyke can scare up out, namely Fighting- and Ground-types such as Mienfoo and Timburr. Mantyke can also set up Stealth Rock rain against Drilbur if Stealth Rock is not up. (period) However, otherwise if Mantyke has taken prior Stealth Rock damage, (AC) Drilbur is able to OHKO it Mantyke. Another group of Pokemon that Mantyke can set up rain on would be Fire-type Pokemon that lack an Electric-type move, namely Larvesta and, to a lesser extent, Darumaka. However, Mantyke does not need rain to function, as it can still hit opposing Pokemon for big a lot of damage on anticipated switches.

Team Options
========
Diglett is a nice teammate for Mantyke, being as it is able to dispose of things threats such as Chinchou and Pawniard while still being able to set up Stealth Rock. Drilbur is another Pokemon that can help set up Stealth Rock to benefit Mantyke, but unlike Diglett, Drilbur can spin away opposing Stealth Rock as well, which benefits Mantyke immensely. Ferroseed is a more defensive teammate for Mantyke, being able to take advantage of the rain to set up entry hazards and dispose of Chinchou for Mantyke. Drilbur is another Pokemon that can help set up Stealth Rock to benefit Mantyke, but unlike Diglett, Drilbur can spin away opposing Stealth Rock as well, which benefits Mantyke immensely. Pawniard can also aide in Mantyke better's sweeping, (RC) by removing Eviolite from opposing walls, namely Porygon and Slowpoke.

RestTalk
########

Moves
========
Rest is the primary function of this set, (RC) keepings Mantyke alive and able to act as a great special wall for large portions of the battle. Sleep Talk lets takes advantage of Mantyke being asleep, (RC) allowing it to potentially attack opposing Pokemon after it has healed up and while it is still asleep. Scald is designed to get off damages on opposing Pokemon while and havings the chance to cripple physical attackers. Air Slash is there to prevents Mantyke from being entirely walled by Grass-types such as Pumpkaboo and Foonguss.

Set Details
========
This set is much more defensively oriented, so 156 EVs are placed into HP to allow for Mantyke to have more longevity while and hitting Eviolite numbers. 196 EVs are placed into Defense, (AC) while 116 are put into Special Defense, increasing the overall bulk of Mantyke while. (period) The focus stays more on Defense seeing, (AC) as Mantyke already has a ridiculously high Special Defense. The final 36 EVs are put into Speed, allowing Mantyke to outspeed a good deal of Pokemon, most notably Pumpkaboo.

Usage Tips
========
Mantyke should always take advantage of situations in which it can use Rest up, (RC) in order to keep it effective as a bulky wall. Removing Electric-type Pokemon that threaten Mantyke is also a good idea, though not entirely necessary. The only issue with not disposing of them is the loss of momentum to Volt Switch, which can be detrimental.

Team Options
========
Ferroseed is a great partner for defensive Mantyke, being as it is able to get set up entry hazards while having and be a safe switch-in to Fire the Electric-type attacks while providing a safe switchin for that threaten Mantyke. (period) In addition, (AC) Mantyke on Electric can take the Fire-type attacks that threaten Ferroseed. Both Magnemite and Lileep both also work nicely in terms of synergy with Mantyke, (RC) while providing an offensive option to remove threats. As a more defensive partner, Chinchou works wonders in cohorts with Mantyke, being as it is immune to Electric-type attacks. Mantyke is, in return, immune to Ground-type attacks. Chinchou also has access to Heal Bell, meaning that Mantyke doesn't have to be as reliant on Sleep Talk to attack. Drilbur helps alleviate the entry hazard issues Mantyke faces, (RC) while still being able to beat most Electric-type Pokemon for Mantyke. Pawniard is able to remove defensive threats through the use of Knock Off, leaving them in range of Mantyke's Scald or as Rest fodder. Mantyke on its own works best on more defensively inclined teams, providing a solid switch-in to many special attackers, namely Abra. Offensive based teams do not appreciate the drop in momentum.

Other Options
########
In place of the high risk of Hydro Pump or the lack of power in Scald, (RC) Surf can be run as a primary Water-type STAB for move, (AC) however, Mantyke, (RC) though the misses Hydro Pump's sheer power and the Scald's potential to inflict burns is removed, respectively. In place. (period) Mantyke can use Agility instead of running Rain Dance, (RC) Mantyke can use Agility, giving it and still get a pseudo-rain effec Speed boost, (AC) however, (AC) it misses out onus the Water-type attack boost alongside the fact that it that are lost losses boosts after switching out. Ice Beam and Signal Beam can be used as other coverage options moves on an offensive set. For a more supportive role, (RC) though, Tailwind can be used to aide teammates. As a surprise aspect with the ability Mantyke can also run Haze to neuter surprise set up sweepers, (RC) Mantyke and eliminate can run Haze their stat boosts. Alternatively, to better combat specially oriented set up sweepers, Mantyke can run Mirror Coat to takes advantage of Mantyke's its absurd Special Defense to remove of the threats.

Checks & Counters
########
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Chinchou, Magnemite, and Elekid have a 4x type advantage on Mantyke and can threaten it with a STAB Thunderbolt. Chinchou especially is able to take on Mantyke, resisting both of its STAB attacks while having as it also resists Flying-type moves a 4x type advantage on it. It can prevent Mantyke from doing its job very well by threatening it with a STAB Thunderbolt.

**Sturdy Users**: Sturdy users, such as Magnemite, Tirtouga, and Dwebble, (AC) have no problem taking a hit and dealing back damage. In the case of Pokemon with Shell Smash and Sturdy users, (RC) they can always set up as long as if there are no entry hazards on the field and OHKO Mantyke with a STAB Rock-type move.

**Water-Types**: Most Water-types, (AC) including Slowpoke and Chinchou, (AC) water types take little damage from Mantyke, including Slowpoke and Chinchou. Chinchou especially threatens Mantyke, as it is being resistant to both of it's its main STABs moves, (RC) while being able to and can deliver devastating attacks in return to Mantyke.

**Physical Attackers**: Hard hitting physical attackers like Pawniard and Tirtouga can beat Mantyke easily by either Knocking Off it's its item. (period) Tirtouga can also threaten Mantyke with its or hitting it with another STAB moves in the case of Tirtouga.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh yeah, my bad on the Agility part. The way you worded it in screenshot is fine :)

I just removed the last part on Chinchou because you already mentioned it in first part of sentence, but again the screenshot is fine.

slayerx725232

Okay, in that case, ready for the final GP check. Let's see if user: someone can finish it off. n_n

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)

Overview
#######

Mantyke is a special unique Pokemon, as it is an amazing special wall that at the same time also has an offensive presence. It resists a good amount of types and has a very crucial immunity to Ground-type attacks, giving it nice synergy with a good deal decent number of Pokemon. To couple with the Mantyke's defensive aspects of Mantyke, it boasts two nice offensive STAB moves in Hydro Pump and Air Slash, which that can threaten many common threats in the tier. While it doesn't have the best abilities, both of them allow for Mantyke to play its various roles much more efficiently. The biggest downside to Mantyke is the its crippling Electric-type weakness it possesses, despite its amazing Special Defense. It is also has a weakness to Stealth Rock and not the greatest has lacklustre HP and Defense stats, (AC) though those are easily overshadowed by Mantyke's prowess as a special wall.

Rain Dance
########

Moves
========

Rain Dance gives Mantyke amazing opportunities as an offensively based Pokemon, both doubling its already-decent (remove hyphen) Speed and boosting the power of its main STAB move, Hydro Pump, to ridiculous levels. Even outside of rain, Hydro Pump leaves huge dents in Pokemon that do not resist it. Air Slash is the secondary STAB move Mantyke should use, allowing it to take on both Grass- and Fighting-type Pokemon. Either Hidden Power Ground or Grass should be used in the final moveslot; both havinge their advantages depending on the situation. Hidden Power Ground nails Electric-type Pokemon extremely hard, its primary targets being weakened Chinchou and Magnemite. On the other hand, Hidden Power Grass nails Shell Smash Tirtouga much harder than Hidden Power Ground while still doing respectable damage to opposing Chinchou and Slowpoke.

Set Details
========

The EVs are used to optimize Mantyke's Special Attack and Speed, allowing it to take advantage of the set to deal massive amounts of damage to opposing Pokemon when coupled with a Modest nature. 36 EVs are placed into Defense, giving Mantyke a better shot at surviving certain physical attacks, (AC) such as Drilbur's Rock Slide or and Pawniard's Sucker Punch. 36 Defense EVs also hit an Eviolite numbers if Mantyke is holding it. Running a Life Orb allows for Mantyke to hit much harder, though it is more difficult to set up rain, whereas with an Eviolite, Mantyke can set up rain very easily at the expense of some power. If Life Orb is being held, it is wise to run no HP investment and only 9 HP IVs, as it allows Mantyke to hit 19 HP and causes it to only take 1 HP from Life Orb recoil.

Usage Tips
========

The first priority when attempting to sweep with Mantyke is to remove Pokemon such as Chinchou, Magnemite, and Pokemon with Sturdy, as they can stop Mantyke cold in its tracks. After such threats are removed, Mantyke can set up rain to allow it to plow through opposing teams. The best time to set up rain is against Pokemon that Mantyke can scare out, namely Fighting- and Ground-types such as Mienfoo and Timburr. Mantyke can also set up rain against Drilbur if Stealth Rock is not up. However, (add space) if Mantyke has taken prior Stealth Rock damage, Drilbur is able to OHKO it. Another group of Pokemon that Mantyke can set up rain on would be Fire-type Pokemon that lack an Electric-type move, namely Larvesta and, to a lesser extent, Darumaka. However, Mantyke does not need rain to function, as it can still hit opposing Pokemon for a lot of damage on anticipated switches.

Team Options
========

Diglett is a nice teammate for Mantyke, as it is able to dispose of threats such as Chinchou and Pawniard while still being able to set up Stealth Rock. Drilbur is another Pokemon that can help set up Stealth Rock to benefit Mantyke, but unlike Diglett, Drilbur can spin away opposing Stealth Rock as well, which benefits Mantyke immensely. Ferroseed is a more defensive teammate for Mantyke, being able to take advantage of the rain to set up entry hazards and dispose of Chinchou for Mantyke. Pawniard can also aide in Mantyke's sweep by removing Eviolite from opposing walls, namely Porygon and Slowpoke.

RestTalk
########

Moves
========

Rest keeps Mantyke alive and able to act as a great special wall for large portions of the battle. Sleep Talk lets Mantyke potentially attack opposing Pokemon after it has healed up and while it is still asleep. Scald damages opposing Pokemon and has the chance to cripple physical attackers by burning them. Air Slash prevents Mantyke from being entirely walled by Grass-types such as Pumpkaboo and Foonguss.

Set Details
========

156 EVs are placed into HP to allow for Mantyke to have more longevity and hit Eviolite numbers. (Eviolite doesn't affect HP or vice versa?) 196 EVs are placed into Defense, while 116 are put into Special Defense, increasing the Mantyke's overall bulk of Mantyke. The EV spread's focus stays more on Defense, as Mantyke already has a ridiculously high Special Defense stat. The final 36 EVs are put into Speed, allowing Mantyke to outspeed a good deal of Pokemon, most notably Pumpkaboo.

Usage Tips
========

Mantyke should always take advantage of situations in which it can use Rest in order to keep it effective as a bulky wall. Removing Electric-type Pokemon that threaten Mantyke is a good idea, though not entirely necessary. The only issue with not disposing of them is the opponent gaining loss of momentum to with Volt Switch, which can be detrimental.

Team Options
========

Ferroseed is a great partner for defensive Mantyke, as it is able to can set up entry hazards and be is a safe switch-in to the Electric-type attacks that threaten Mantyke. In addition, Mantyke can take the Fire-type attacks that threaten Ferroseed. Both Magnemite and Lileep also work nicely in terms of synergize nicely with Mantyke while providing an offensive option to remove threats. As a more defensive partner, Chinchou works wonders in cohorts tandem with Mantyke, as Volt Absorb makes it is immune to Electric-type attacks. Mantyke is, in return, immune to Ground-type attacks. Chinchou also has access to Heal Bell, meaning that Mantyke doesn't have to be as reliant on Sleep Talk to attack. Drilbur helps alleviate the entry hazard issues Mantyke faces while still being able to beat most Electric-type Pokemon for Mantyke. Pawniard is able to remove defensive threats through the use of Knock Off, leaving them in range of Mantyke's Scald or as Rest fodder. Mantyke on its own works best on more defensively inclined teams, providing a solid switch-in to many special attackers, namely Abra. Offensive based teams do not appreciate the drop in momentum of using Mantyke.

Other Options
########

Surf can be run as a primary Water-type STAB move,; however, Mantyke misses Hydro Pump's sheer power and Scald's potential to inflict burns. Mantyke can use Agility instead of running over Rain Dance and still get a Speed boost, however, but it misses out on the boost in power to Water-type attacks boost and loses the Speed boost upon switching out. Ice Beam and Signal Beam can be used as other coverage moves on an offensive set. For a more supportive role, Tailwind can be used to aide teammates. Mantyke can also run Haze to surprise set up setup sweepers and eliminate their stat boosts. Alternatively, to better combat specially oriented set up setup sweepers, Mantyke can run Mirror Coat to take advantage of its absurd Special Defense stat.

Checks & Counters
########

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, (AC) such as Chinchou, Magnemite, and Elekid, (AC) have a 4x type advantage on Mantyke and can threaten it with a STAB Electric-type move. Chinchou especially in particular is able to take on Mantyke, as it resists Water- and Flying-type moves.

**Sturdy Users**: Sturdy users, such as Magnemite, Tirtouga, and Dwebble, have no problem taking a hit from and dealing back damage to Mantyke. Pokemon with Shell Smash and Sturdy users can always set up if there are no entry hazards on the field and OHKO Mantyke with a STAB Rock-type move.

**Water-Types**: Most Water-types, including Slowpoke and Chinchou, take little damage from any of Mantyke's attacks. Chinchou especially threatens Mantyke, as it is resistant resists to both of its main Mantyke's STAB moves and can deliver devastating attacks in return.

**Physical Attackers**: Hard-hitting physical attackers like such as Pawniard and Tirtouga can beat Mantyke easily by either Knocking Off its item (either..or what?). Tirtouga can also threaten Mantyke with its a STAB Rock-type moves.

GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)