Marowak (Update)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
GP checks 2/2

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/marowak

[Overview]
<p>Marowak sets a good example by wearing a skull as a helmet, because it is recommending other Pokémon to do the same when he's around—his attacking power is right up there with giants like Slaking and Medicham. Sadly, a Pokémon with such great Attack must have drawbacks. Marowak is unable to utilize Leftovers, has very lackluster HP and Special Defense, and is not the quickest Pokemon out there. However, with paralysis, Trick Room, or Baton Pass support, Marowak can be a real wrecking ball.</p>

[SET]
name: SubWak
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Double-Edge
move 4: Fire Punch / ThunderPunch
ability: Rock Head
item: Thick Club
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Thick Club doubling Marowak's Attack stat, the only thing stopping him from absolutely destroying the competition is his poor Speed and low defenses. In order to wreak havoc on the other team, Marowak needs some support from his teammates. The most effective form of support is paralysis. With a majority of the opposing team paralyzed, Marowak is free to come in on opponents who pose little threat to him, such as support Pokemon like Chansey or Registeel, set up a Substitute, and proceed to OHKO the opposition with the appropriate move. Earthquake is Marowak's strongest move when factoring in STAB, and is a force to be reckoned with. Double-Edge makes an appearance on this set thanks to its high Base Power and great coverage alongside Earthquake; as an added bonus, Marowak suffers no recoil from using it thanks to his Rock Head ability. The last slot is mostly filler. Fire Punch allows Marowak to hit Torterra and Tangrowth super effectively, which is very useful as defensive versions of both avoid a 2HKO from Double-Edge. ThunderPunch can also be useful as an opening move to scout for counters, and hits most Flying-types coming in to sponge an Earthquake for heavy damage.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>When using Marowak, the main goal is to come in on someone who you can force out, such as Registeel or Steelix, and set up Substitute as they switch. It should be noted that Marowak should not be revealed until late-game when the majority of the opposing team is KOed or paralyzed. This is important as it allows him to easily pick off foes without having to constantly switch out as the opponent reveals their Marowak counters. With the lack of Leftovers and no form of recovery available to him, Marowak cannot afford to switch out very often. Substitute is the first move you should use because it allows Marowak to scout the opponent's supposed Marowak counters while blocking him from status conditions and priority moves. Once safely behind a Substitute, Marowak is free to wreak havoc upon the opponent with the appropriate moves.</p>

<p>Running Jolly is a must for this set, as otherwise Marowak has nothing to separate himself from the likes of Rhyperior. With Jolly, Marowak is able to outpace and 2HKO 8 Speed Milotic, something his competition cannot boast. Adamant may be tempting for the higher damage output, but Jolly already ensures the necessary KOs mentioned and Adamant offers no other notable ones.</p>

< p>Stone Edge can be used in the last slot to give Marowak the awesome QuakeEdge combination and a stronger means to hit Rotom and Mismagius, but isn’t recommended because Marowak cannot afford to miss. Double-Edge hits many of the Pokemon Stone Edge does for more damage and retains perfect accuracy. Stone Edge may seem tempting to guarantee the kill on Pokemon like Moltres and Articuno, but they are already KOed by Double-Edge/ThunderPunch after Stealth Rock damage. Focus Punch can be used in the last slot as well, but Fighting and Ground have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Earthquake will be hitting Pokemon for OHKOs and 2HKOs anyway. Focus Punch also requires Marowak to be behind a Substitute, which is not always possible, especially with his low defenses and Speed. However, the ability to OHKO Chansey, Clefable, and Kangaskhan can be welcome.</p>

<p>Swords Dance can be used on this set in the last slot as well. At +2 Attack, Marowak has no trouble OHKOing most of the UU tier (bar Rotom and Mismagius if using Earthquake and Double-Edge, or Torterra and Claydol if using QuakeEdge) but it is incredibly difficult to accomplish without paralysis support or Trick Room, as Marowak is slow and will very rarely get more than one free turn to set up.</p>

<p>As previously stated, this set thrives on paralysis support. Good teammates to provide said paralysis include Slowbro, Chansey, and Registeel. Slowbro draws Electric attacks which Marowak can switch on for free, and in return Slowbro sponges Water- and Ice-type attacks aimed at Marowak. Chansey and Registeel take special attacks like champs and can easily absorb the Grass-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks that Marowak will encounter. The lack of any form of recovery really hurts this set's effectiveness, so Marowak usually only has one shot to deal massive damage or remove a problem Pokemon; however, this can be remedied with a Wish passing partner such as Clefable, who can also provide Heal Bell support in case Marowak gets burned or poisoned. U-turn abusers such as Scyther, Ambipom, and Swellow make good partners to Marowak as they can lure out the Steel-types who he can easily set up on.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Slowbro, Registeel, and Chansey make good teammates for Marowak as they can absorb the Water-, Ice-, and Grass-type attacks aimed at him and can also provide Marowak with paralysis support. If you're using Marowak on a Trick Room team, Pokemon who can reliably set up the field effect such as Slowbro, Exeggutor, and Uxie make the best teammates for him. The Psychic-types listed above can also set up Reflect and Light Screen, which can help Marowak take a few hits and let him show off his power.</p>

<p>Marowak doesn't require Stealth Rock or Spikes support as he hits like a train, but with it a lot of his 2HKOes will turn into OHKOes.Thus, Pokemon who can get Stealth Rock up reliably, such as Omastar, make good partners to Marowak. Marowak misses out on 2HKOs on a couple of notable Pokemon, such as Tangrowth, Claydol, Uxie, and Torterra, so Pokemon who can dispose of them easily make good partners for him. Ironically, Tangrowth with Hidden Power Ice makes a good partner to Marowak, removing 3/4 of the Pokemon listed. Dark-type Pokemon like Absol can easily remove Uxie.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>In Trick Room, Marowak can invest more in Attack and HP, and also has room for another attacking move in place of Substitute; however, when Trick Room ends, Marowak is a sitting duck and can be easily OHKOed. He has access to a plethora of Fighting-type attacks, such as Focus Punch, Brick Break, and Low Kick, but they offer redundant coverage alongside Earthquake, and are rather inferior when compared to Double-Edge or Stone Edge. Bonemerang allows Marowak to break Substitutes, but most of the Pokemon who will be using Substitute against him aren't affected by Ground-type attacks. Marowak has access to Stealth Rock and Toxic, but he makes a much more effective attacker than a supporter.</p>

<p>Marowak also has access to Belly Drum if you're crazy enough to try it. With a Belly Drum boost alongside Thick Club and an Adamant nature, Marowak reaches an almost unimaginable Attack stat of 2,272; however, even with a Salac Berry boost, he will usually find himself outpaced and KOed by faster enemies before he can even land a hit. Marowak also has access to a plethora of special options such as Fire Blast and Ice Beam, but his Special Attack stat is low, and the aforementioned moves have little use outside of hitting Torterra and Tangrowth for more damage than his other moves—and only if he invests fully in Special Attack.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Marowak is rather defenseless if he isn't behind a Substitute, so Pokemon who can outpace and OHKO him make great checks. However, most Pokemon will be hard-pressed to switch into any of Marowak's attacks. Pokemon such as Venusaur, Sceptile, and Feraligatr all have no problem outrunning and OHKOing a Substitute-less Marowak. Tangrowth, Torterra, and Claydol can all avoid a 2HKO from any of Marowak's attacks (although Tangrowth and Torterra must be wary of Fire Punch) and can break his Substitutes and proceed to KO him.</p>

<p>If Marowak is in Trick Room, the best plan is to hit him with priority attacks. Azumarill can OHKO Marowak with Aqua Jet, while TechniTop can maim him with a combination of Fake Out and Mach Punch. Another strategy is to abuse Substitute and Protect as much as possible to burn Trick Room turns. Marowak also hates getting statused, especially burn, so Pokemon like Mismagius and Rotom can outrun Marowak and proceed to cripple him with Will-O-Wisp. However, neither can withstand getting hit by Fire Punch or Stone Edge, so this is a rather unreliable way of stopping Marowak, especially when both can easily 2HKO Marowak with Shadow Ball instead.</p>

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Swords Dance is kind of pushing it IMO, Marowak should just throw up a Sub and proceed to 2hko whatever switches in; Marowak is slow enough that swords dance is rarely used (i.e. never outspeeds Milotic w/ out Jolly nature), and if you're paralyzing things, why not just use an SD + 3 attacks set? tl; dr sub + 3 atks

I agree with ^.

Marowak already has a shitload of attack that it doesn't need Swords Dance at all. A simple Substitute/EQ/SE/Double-Edge set will pretty much wreck everything in UU.

Also, when I used a Sub Marowak I had Wish support so that he can continue doing his thing. I think you should mention Clefable as a partner for Wish and Cleric support.

I'm going to have to agree with Thund and ThePowerWithin. I will admit that it does work quite a bit, as I got it used on me to good effect. However, I believe that Thund did make his point that Marowak doesn't need Swords Dance. Good try, though.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
OK so I put Double-Edge as the main option over Swords Dance, though with Swords Dance, Marowak will OHKO everything in the metagame except 252/252 Torterra and 252/252 Claydol. I think the power there at least deserves a mention.

And added Wish passing in AC.

Just going to weigh in on this as i've used it before, I'd just remove SD completely.
There's no point in it with sub for the reasons Thund and Powerwithin stated and you're too slow to pull it off effectively.
I'd also put fire punch somewhere in there like the AC since it does let you hit Torterra harder(nearly always a ko with SR/1 layer of spikes) among other things.

Oglemi

Borf
Allright, I'll remove Swords Dance and probably add Fire Punch as a slash, as being able to effectively remove Bulky Grass types in general can be a god-send for some teams. I still can't believe no one else found any use for Swords Dance, but looking at it in retrospect most of the times I used may have been because I was facing poorer players or was able to due to paralysis.

i believe jolly should be on the set and as the first option. it's needed to outpace adamant aggron as well as 8 speed milotic, which you still 2hko.

double edge is a lot better than fire punch; fire punch is just for doing a little extra damage vs torterra and leafeon but you don't ohko so whatever. double edge is an awesome move for hitting pokemon that are immune to your stab (moltres if you don't want to miss, uxie, claydol, mesprit, etc).

if anything, though, i think stone edge is less useful than fire punch. i would slash fire punch over stone edge. moltres gets stomped by double edge after sr (63.9% - 75.4% from jolly) while altaria also pretty much dies (70.4% - 83.2% from jolly). i don't care too much about the order here, so if a few other people think stone edge is better than fire punch you can change it. but i definitely do not agree with slashing something with double edge.

in summary:

- substitute
- earthquake
- double-edge
- fire punch / stone edge (or flipped)

marowak's analysis could also use an update so if you want to do that it would be cool. basically the extra work would be: overview, counters, optional changes, team options, and maybe a swords dance set (or just a mention of using swords dance on this set, cause i think they are pretty similar).

do all that and approved 1/2

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
k so I was testing this today because the ability to muscle its way through milotic for the 2HKO was p. alluring for me to test. this packs a punch but for my first two games, i did not even switch in marowak due to its low and speed and shit typing overall. as a result, i quick jotted things which marowak can set up on and it came down to regi, steelix, and omastar mainly. i paired this with a CB scyther lead and this resulted to more opportunities for marowak to switch in on the aforementioned pokemon and set up sub. my suggestion is to pair it with stuff that draws in steels, otherwise marowak turns into a non-factor in the game as it lacks the ability to constantly switch into stuff. CB scyther is one of them, but i also think swellow can make perfect synergy alongside each other - marowak sets up on the steel-types, 2hkos swellow's "soft check", which is milotic, slowbro, etc. though the latter pokemon needs previous residual damage to achieve the 2hko.

edit: you should also mention subs qualities in this analysis otherwise this will look like an inferior 4-attack marowak or sd marowak. the qualities with having sub include blocking status from weezing, spiritomb, defensive rotom + mismagius. sub also easens prediction and having that monstrous attack stat helps this. eq is such a hard move to use on a slow pokemon due to the amount of flyers that will switch in and sub will help you with this.

Here's my few cents since I've also used this set the last couple weeks:

1) franky is right in that wak has very few pokes he can reliably switch in on. Abusing things like U-Turn Scyther and Swellow give Marowak the chances it needs to set up that Sub and wreck things.

2) The nature needs to be Jolly. The ability to outspeed and 2HKO 8 Spe Milo is awesome, as well as the ability to OHKO LO Milotic after SR from behind a Sub, which is the main reason I would use this set over Rhyperior anyways.

3) Paralysis support is almost required from at least one other Poke. By paralyzing stuff you give Marowak more chances to set up and do what it does best. I personally abused RegiBro to spread paralysis and keep nice defensive synergy.

4) Since the third spot is very largely filler, I toyed with using ThunderPunch in the last spot. I know, it has the same damage output as EQ on Milotic, but that's the whole point! It's not like Milotic is just going to stay in and get 2HKO'd in many cases - lots of the time the opponent will switch to a flyer/ghost. By using ThunderPunch, you create a win/win situation no matter what. If they stay in, they are 2HKO'd, and if they switch, you hit their Mismagius (68.3% - 80.5%)/ Rotom (30.3% - 35.7%) / Swellow (137.2% - 161.7%) / Moltres (81% - 95.3%) / Weezing (27.5% - 32.6%) for some pretty hard damage. Rotom is really the only thing that you're missing Stone Edge or Fire Punch for off the top of my head. Otherwise ThunderPunch does fine in most every other way.

Oglemi

Borf
Allrighty this is updated:

- Changed nature to Jolly, don't even know why I had it as Adamant (I was even using Jolly when I made the OP >.>)

- Deslashed Stone Edge altogether and added ThunderPunch for the reasons Rolf gave.

- Added Scyther and Swellow as good teammates.

- Added mention of Swords Dance in AC as I've had success with it, it's just hard to do and rather unreliable.

- I will change this to an update! I'll just take the approval as just for the SubWak set.

I have a few questions:

1) What does Double Edge hit so hard that it's almost always used on Marowak? And does Double Edge hit harder than the moves listed below, along with Earthquake and Fire Punch/Thunderpunch?
2) Have you considered other moves like Focus Punch/Brick Break/Low Kick, Iron Head/Iron Tail, or Outrage?

Bone Rush and Aerial Ace are haha and I see there's already been a lot of discussion with Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Oglemi

Borf
Fighting type attacks hit practically nothing that Earthquake already does, and Earthquake hits things harder. Fighting gets super effective hits on Normal and Ice types, but Earthquake already gets OHKO's on most of the Normal types of UU, and I'd rather use Stone Edge to get the super effective hits on Ice types along with a crap ton of other things. Fighting and Ground are just too overlapping in their coverage.

And yes, Double Edge's 120 Base Power is much higher than Iron Head, Iron Tail, Brick Break, and most times Low Kick, and with Rock Head, it doesn't have any recoil. Outrage is god awful on anything besides Dragon types. Focus Punch is probably worth a look, and can probably go in AC, but I hate how unreliable it is, especially considering how slow Marowak is.

Edit: OP updated to a full revamp

Oglemi

Borf
I think this is ready for any GP checks. If there are too many mistakes from a passing glance or if you think I should add/subtract some details let me know. This is my first complete write-up so go easy on me, :)

Swords Dance needs its own set or slashed over Substitute (not SubSD, SD + 3 Attacks). Even if Sub is generally better in this metagame, Swords Dance is still a viable option for even better wall/stall breaking.

Oglemi

Borf
I personally like Swords Dance, but the QCers weren't convinced, so if you'd like the set to be on here, I'd greatly appreciate it if you put the set through QC and then we'll add it to the analysis. I really don't feel like doing it now that I've started college.

This analysis needs to mention that Jolly is a must, not just list Jolly as the only option. If Adamant is run, Rhyperior outclasses this in every way--same Atk with Life Orb, dual STAB, better coverage, more switch-in opportunites, Rock Polish, and a lot more bulk make Rhyperior much more threatening than Marowak.

Marowak's only advantage over Rhyperior is the ability to outspeed defensive Milotic/Venusaur (and even that's not guaranteed...), so Jolly should be explained in the analysis.

Edit: lol Rhyperior even takes Close Combat and EQ better than Marowak. a Rhyperior EQ will OHKO a Marowak, but it won't OHKO another Rhyperior. lol....

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Proofread:
[Overview]
<p>(remove space) Marowak shows a good example by wearing a skull as a helmet, because it is recommended other Pokémon do so when he's around. His attacking power is right up there with giants like Slaking and Medicham. Sadly, a Pokémon with such great (nearly overkill) Attack must have drawbacks. Marowak has no Leftovers recovery, a very lacking HP/Special Defense combination, and is not the quickest one out there. However, with paralysis, Trick Room, or Baton Pass support, Marowak can be a real wrecking ball.(remove space) <p>

[SET]
name: Subwak

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> (remove space)With Thick Club doubling Marowak's Attack stat, the only thing stopping him from absolutely destroying the competition is his middling Speed and low defenses. So, in order to allow Marowak to unleash havoc onto the other team, he needs some support from his teammates. The most effective form of support is paralysis. With a majority of the opposing team paralyzed, Marowak is free to come in on an opponent that poses little threat to him, probably a support Pokemon like Chansey or Registeel, set up a Substitute, and proceed to OHKO the opposition with the appropriate moves. Earthquake is Marowak's strongest move when factoring in STAB and is a nice, reliable move. Double-Edge makes an appearance on this set thanks to its high base power, great coverage alongside Earthquake, and as an added bonus Marowak suffers no recoil from using it thanks to his ability Rock Head. The last slot is mostly filler. Fire Punch allows Marowak to hit Torterra and Tangrowth who avoid a 2HKO from his other moves for super-effective damage. ThunderPunch can be used as well in the last slot. It makes a good opening move for Marowak to use, scouting the opponent's Marowak counter, and hitting the flyers and Levitators for heavy damage who would normally come in for free on his Earthquake.(remove space) <p>

[Additional Comments]
<p> When using Marowak, the main goal is to come in on something that you can threaten out, such as Registeel or Steelix, and set up Substitute as they switch out. It should be noted that Marowak should not be revealed until late-game when the majority of the opposing team is gone KO'd or paralyzed. This is important as it allows him to easily pick off the opposition without having to consistently switch out as the opponent reveals their Marowak counters. With the lack of Leftovers and no form of recovery Marowak absolutely cannot afford to switch out very often. Substitute is the first move used because: it allows Marowak to scout the opponents supposed Marowak counters, blocks him from status such as burn, and protects him from priority. Once safely behind a Substitute, Marowak is free to reign havoc upon the opponent with the appropriate moves.</p>

<p>Running Jolly as the nature is a must for this set, otherwise Marowak has nothing to separate himself from the likes of Rhyperior or Aggron. With Jolly, Marowak is able to outpace and 2HKO 8 Speed Milotic and ensure it's 2HKO, something his competition misses out on. Adamant may be tempting for the higher damage output, but Jolly already ensures the necessary KO's mentioned and Adamant offers no other notable ones.</p>

<p>Stone Edge can be used in the last slot to give Marowak the awesome QuakeEdge combination and is his strongest hit on Rotom, however he really cannot afford to miss with Stone Edge's shaky accuracy, and Double-Edge is hitting most of the things Stone Edge does for more damage. Stone Edge may seem tempting to get a guaranteed the kill on things like Moltres and Articuno, but they are already KOed with a combination of Stealth Rock and Double-Edge/ThunderPunch. Focus Punch can be used in the last slot as well, but Fighting and Ground have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Earthquake will be hitting things for OHKOs and 2HKO's anyway. Focus Punch also requires that Marowak be behind a Substitute, which is not always possible especially with his low defenses and Speed. However, the ability to OHKO Chansey, Clefable, and Kangaskhan is always welcome.</p>

<p>Swords Dance can be used on this set in the last slot as well. With Swords Dance, Marowak has no trouble OHKOing most of the UU tier, (bar Rotom and Mismagius if using Earthquake and Double Edge or Torterra and Claydol if using QuakeEdge), but it is incredibly difficult to accomplish without paralysis support or Trick Room, as Marowak is so slow and will usually only be getting get one turn to use Substitute, and usually not an extra turn to use allow him to Swords Dance as well.</p>

<p>As already stated, this set thrives on paralysis support. Good teammates to provide said paralysis include Slowbro, Chansey and Registeel. Slowbro draws Electric attacks which Marowak can switch on for free, and in return Slowbro has no problem switching into the Water- and Ice-type attacks aimed at him. Chansey and Registeel take special attacks like champs and can easily absorb the Grass-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks that Marowak will encounter. Lack of Leftovers or any form of recovery really hurt this set's effectiveness, so Marowak usually only has one shot to deal massive damage or remove a problem Pokemon, however this can be remedied with a Wish passing partner such as Clefable, who can also provide Heal Bell support as well in case Marowak were to get burned or poisoned. Scyther and Swellow, who can abuse U-turn, make good partners to Marowak as they can lure out Steel-types that he has little trouble getting a Substitute up on.</p>

[Team Options]
<p> (remove space)Pokemon who can somehow make Marowak the faster battler on the field make the best partners to him. Pokemon who can supply paralysis support and can absorb the Grass-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks that'll be heading in his direction such as Slowbro, Registeel, and Chansey make safe teammates for him(I would rewrite the previous two sentences). If using Marowak on a Trick Room team, Pokemon that can reliably set up the field effect such as Slowbro, Exeggutor, and Uxie make the best teammates for him. The Psychic-types listed above also can set-up Reflect and Light Screen, which can really help Marowak take a few hits and let him show off his power. become both a bulky and powerful Pokemon.</p>

<p>Marowak can usually switch into the Steel-types of UU without much worry, so Pokemon that can lure them out like Swellow and Scyther make good teammates to him, as not only can they can both lure Steel-types them out, but they and then can proceed to U-turn to him. Marowak doesn't require Stealth Rock or Spikes support as Marowak hits like a train, but with it, a lot of his 2HKO's will turn into OHKO's, so Pokemon that can get them Stealth Rock up reliably, such as Omastar or Qwilfish, make good partners to Marowak.</p>

<p>Marowak misses out on 2HKO's on a couple of notable Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Claydol, Uxie and Torterra, so Pokemon who can dispose of them easily make good partners to him. Ironically, Tangrowth with HP Ice makes a good partner to Marowak, removing 3/4 Pokemon listed, and a Dark-type Pokemon such as Absol can easily remove of Uxie. <p>

[Other Options]
<p>(remove space) Marowak makes a rather infamous Trick Room sweeper. In Trick Room, Marowak can invest in more in Attack and HP and also has room for another attacking move in place of Substitute; however, when Trick Room ends, Marowak is a sitting duck and can be easily OHKOed easily as he no longer can outrun anything outside of it. He has access to a plethora of Fighting-type attacks, such as Focus Punch, Brick Break and Low Kick, but they offer redundant coverage alongside Earthquake, and are rather inferior when compared to Double-Edge or Stone Edge. Bonemerang can be used to allow Marowak to break Substitutes, and is his signature move, however, most of the Pokemon that will be using Substitute against him aren't affected by Ground-type attacks anyway. Marowak has access to Stealth Rock and Toxic, but Marowak he makes a much more effective attacker than supporter. He also has access to Aerial Ace, but it is rather inferior to Fire Punch in terms of coverage and power.</p>

<p>Marowak also has access to Belly Drum if you're crazy enough to try it. With it, alongside Thick Club and an Adamant nature, he reaches an almost unimaginable Attack stat of 2,272, however, even with a Salac Berry boost and with no access to priority moves, he will usually find himself outpaced and KOed by faster enemies before he can even land a hit, and his lack of priority moves don't help. Marowak also has access to a plethora of special options such as Fire Blast and Ice Beam, but his Special Attack stat is really low, and they have little use outside of hitting Torterra and Tangrowth for more damage than his other moves if he invests fully in Special Attack.(remove space) <p>

[Counters]
<p> (remove space)Marowak is rather defenseless if he isn't behind a Substitute, so Pokemon that can outpace and OHKO him make great checks, however, most things will be hard-pressed to switch into any of Marowak's attacks. Pokemon such as Venusaur, Sceptile, and Feraligatr all have no problem of outrunning and OHKOing a Substitute-less Marowak. Tangrowth, Torterra and Claydol all can avoid a 2HKO from any of his attacks (although Tangrowth and Torterra must be wary of Fire Punch) and can break his Substitutes and can proceed to KO Marowak.</p>

<p>If Marowak is in Trick Room, the best plan is to hit him with priority attacks. Azumarill can OHKO Marowak with Aqua Jet and Technitop can seriously maim him with a combination of Fake Out and Mach Punch. Marowak also hates getting statused, especially burned, so Pokemon like Mismagius and Rotom can outrun Marowak and proceed to use cripple him with Will-O-Wisp. However, neither can withstand getting hit by Fire Punch or Stone Edge, so this is a rather unreliable way of stopping Marowak, especially when both can easily 2HKO Marowak with Shadow Ball.(remove space) </p>

Just remember your <p> and </p> tags at the begining/end of each paragraph. Also, keep in mind that you shouldn't use a space before/after <p> and </p> tags. Otherwise, the only repeated mistake I found was you tended to use "OHKO'd", and "OHKO's", where "OHKOed" and "OHKOs" are correct.

Whoa, Marowak gets Outrage? Perhaps give it a mention for its incredible neutral coverage with Earthquake? Dragon+Ground is resisted by absolutely nothing in UU (shedinja doesn't count) and gives you a 50/50 chance of seriously wrecking every switch-in. Sure, you can't change moves, but it's only slightly weaker than STAB Earthquake and almost twice as powerful as the punches. Not to mention that it OHKOs Rotom and Mismagius and Altaria. Moltres takes about 75%. Leafeon is generally 2HKO'ed and Max/Max Tangrowth takes 35%.

IMO, that deserves a slash.

Oglemi

Borf
Here's the deal though. Double-Edge is already hitting things for the same amount of damage as Outrage is, and without the downside of being locked into a move and having to suffer from confusion afterwards. Sure, it hits Rotom, Mismagius, and Altaria harder than the other moves, but they are already taken care of by Fire Punch and Double-Edge respectively, albeit not at a OHKO.

I can make a mention of Outrage in AC, but imo it isn't worth being locked into one move and having to suffer confusion, especially when Marowak is trying to sweep late-game, which is hard to do when you get confused. Plus, Marowak will be taking massive damage from his own confusion thanks to his low HP and super high Attack.

breh

強いだね
To clarify, marowak will do 22.2% - 26.4% to itself in confusion, assuming no.. swagger boosts or something

Yeah don't use outrage it sucks badly... I mean neutral coverage is cool and all but there's a reason that Outrage is used very conservatively on dragons in OU... it locks you in, and if the opponent switches in a steel type (on the second turn), you are screwed. Even worse, if somebody switches in Milotic, they will easily KO marowak while you can't do anything

Compare to Double Edge, where if you get... mismagius or something switch in on you you switch or Fire punch with no repercussions instead of a possible death (or even worse) a setup opportunity for something like RP aggron or sub aggron or Sub MR aggron etc.

Anyway grammar check is soon to come

Edit:
[Overview]
<p>Marowak shows a good example by wearing a skull as a helmet, because it is recommended other Pokémon do so when he's around. While his attacking power is right up there with giants like Slaking and Medicham. Sadly, a Pokémon with such great (nearly overkill) Attack must have drawbacks. Marowak has no Leftovers recovery, a very lacking HP and Special Defense combination, and is not the quickest one out there. However, with paralysis, Trick Room, or Baton Pass support, Marowak can be a real wrecking ball.</p>

[SET]
name: Subwak

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Thick Club doubling Marowak's Attack stat, the only thing stopping him from absolutely destroying the competition is his middling Speed and low defenses. So, in order to allow Marowak to unleash havoc onto the other team, he needs some support from his teammates. The most effective form of support is paralysis. With a majority of the opposing team paralyzed, Marowak is free to come in on an opponent that poses little threat to him, especially support Pokemon like Chansey or Registeel, set up a Substitute, and proceed to OHKO the opposition with the appropriate moves. Earthquake is Marowak's strongest move when factoring in STAB and is a nice, reliable move. Double-Edge makes an appearance on this set thanks to its high base power, great coverage alongside Earthquake, and as an added bonus Marowak suffers no recoil from using it thanks to his ability, Rock Head. The last slot is mostly filler. Fire Punch allows Marowak to hit Torterra and Tangrowth, who avoid a 2HKO from his other moves for super-effective damage. ThunderPunch can also be used as well in the last slot. It makes a good opening move for Marowak to use because it scouts the opponent's Marowak counter for Marowak. It also allows him to hit Flying-types for heavy damage.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>When using Marowak, the main goal is to come in on something that you can threaten out, such as Registeel or Steelix, and set up Substitute as they switch out. It should be noted that Marowak should not be revealed until late-game when the majority of the opposing team is gone, KO'd or paralyzed. This is important as it allows him to easily pick off the opposition without having to consistently switch out as the opponent reveals their Marowak counters. With the lack of Leftovers and no form of recovery Marowak cannot afford to switch out very often. Substitute is the first move used because: it allows Marowak to scout the opponent's counters for Marowak and it protects him from status conditions and priority moves. Once safely behind a Substitute, Marowak is free to reign havoc upon the opponent with the appropriate moves.</p>

<p>Running Jolly is a must for this set; otherwise Marowak has nothing to separate himself from the likes of Rhyperior or Aggron. With Jolly, Marowak is able to outpace and 2HKO 8 Speed Milotic, something his competition misses out on (er... aggron has 50 base speed FYI, 5 more than Marowak). Adamant may be tempting for the higher damage output, but Jolly already ensures the necessary KO's mentioned and Adamant offers no other notable ones.</p>

<p>Stone Edge can be used in the last slot to give Marowak the awesome QuakeEdge combination and is his strongest hit on Rotom, but he really cannot afford to miss with Stone Edge's shaky accuracy, and Double-Edge hits most of the things Stone Edge does for more damage. Stone Edge may seem tempting to guarantee the kill on things like Moltres and Articuno, but they are already KOed with a combination of Stealth Rock and Double-Edge/ThunderPunch. Focus Punch can be used in the last slot as well, but Fighting and Ground have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Earthquake will be hitting things for OHKOs and 2HKOs anyway. Focus Punch also requires that Marowak be behind a Substitute, which is not always possible especially with his low defenses and Speed. However, the ability to OHKO Chansey, Clefable, and Kangaskhan (seems irrelevant to mention Kanga, but W/E) is always welcome.</p>

<p>Swords Dance can be used on this set in the last slot as well. With Swords Dance, Marowak has no trouble OHKOing most of the UU tier, (bar Rotom and Mismagius if using Earthquake and Double Edge or Torterra and Claydol if using QuakeEdge), but it is incredibly difficult to accomplish without paralysis support or Trick Room, as Marowak is slow and will usually only get one turn to use Substitute, and not another turn to use Swords Dance as well.</p>

<p>As already stated, this set thrives on paralysis support. Good teammates to provide said paralysis include Slowbro, Chansey and Registeel. Slowbro draws Electric attacks which Marowak can switch on for free, and in return Slowbro has no problem switching into the Water- and Ice-type attacks aimed at him. Chansey and Registeel take special attacks like champs and can easily absorb the Grass-, Water- and Ice-type attacks that Marowak will encounter. Lack of Leftovers or any form of recovery really hurt this set's effectiveness, so Marowak usually only has one shot to deal massive damage or remove a problem Pokemon, however this can be remedied with a Wish passing partner such as Clefable, who can also provide Heal Bell support as well in case Marowak were to get burned or poisoned. Scyther and Swellow, who can abuse U-turn, make good partners to Marowak as they can lure out Steel-types that he has little trouble getting a Substitute up on.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Slowbro, Registeel, and Chansey make safe teammates for Marowak as they can absorb the Water-, Ice-, and Grass-type attacks aimed at him and can also provide Marowak paralysis support. If using Marowak on a Trick Room team, Pokemon that can reliably set up the field effect such as Slowbro, Exeggutor, and Uxie make the best teammates for him. The Psychic-types listed above also can set-up Reflect and Light Screen, which can really help Marowak take a few hits and let him show off his power.</p>

<p>Marowak can usually switch into the Steel-types of UU without much worry, so Pokemon that can lure them out like Swellow and Scyther make good teammates to him, as not only can they lure Steel-types out, but they then can proceed to U-turn to him. Marowak doesn't require Stealth Rock or Spikes support as Marowak hits like a train, but with it, a lot of his 2HKOs will turn into OHKOs, so Pokemon like Omastar that can get Stealth Rock up reliably such as Omastar, make good partners to Marowak.</p>

<p>Marowak misses out on 2HKOs on a couple of notable Pokemon such as Tangrowth, Claydol, Uxie and Torterra, so Pokemon who can dispose of them easily make good partners to him. Ironically, Tangrowth with HP Ice makes a good partner to Marowak, removing 3/4 Pokemon listed, and Dark-type Pokemon like Absol can easily remove of Uxie.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Marowak makes a rather infamous Trick Room sweeper. In Trick Room, Marowak can invest more in Attack and HP and also has room for another attacking move in place of Substitute. However, when Trick Room ends, Marowak is a sitting duck and can be easily OHKOed. He has access to a plethora of Fighting-type attacks, such as Focus Punch, Brick Break and Low Kick, but they offer redundant coverage alongside Earthquake, and are rather inferior when compared to Double-Edge or Stone Edge. Bonemerang can be used to allow Marowak to break Substitutes, but most of the Pokemon that will be using Substitute against him aren't affected by Ground-type attacks anyway. Marowak has access to Stealth Rock and Toxic, but he makes a much more effective attacker than supporter. He also has access to Aerial Ace, but it is rather inferior to Fire Punch in terms of coverage and power.(I have no clue why you mention aerial ace; dugtrio only gets it (believe) to kill breloom and heracross; otherwise nothing other than it and delibird have any right using it) </p>

<p>Marowak also has access to Belly Drum if you're crazy enough to try it. With it, alongside Thick Club and an Adamant nature, he reaches an almost unimaginable Attack stat of 2,272, however, even with a Salac Berry boost, he will usually find himself outpaced and KOed by faster enemies before he can even land a hit, and his lack of priority moves doesn't help. Marowak also has access to a plethora of special options such as Fire Blast and Ice Beam, but his Special Attack stat is low, and they have little use outside of hitting Torterra and Tangrowth for more damage than his other moves if he invests fully in Special Attack. (again I have no clue why you mention this.. it defeats the point of marowak just to run Fire Blast and shittons of SpA to KO Tangrowth (who is already quite rarely seen) and Torterra (who is better handled by another teammate in general because it outspeeds) </p>

[Counters]
<p>Marowak is rather defenseless if he isn't behind a Substitute, so Pokemon that can outpace and OHKO him make great checks, however, most things will be hard-pressed to switch into any of Marowak's attacks. Pokemon such as Venusaur, Sceptile, and Feraligatr all have no problem of outrunning and OHKOing a Substitute-less Marowak. Tangrowth, Torterra and Claydol all can avoid a 2HKO from any of his attacks (although Tangrowth and Torterra must be wary of Fire Punch) and can break his Substitutes and proceed to KO Marowak.</p>

<p>If Marowak is in Trick Room, the best plan is to hit him with priority attacks. Azumarill can OHKO Marowak with Aqua Jet and Technitop can seriously maim him with a combination of Fake Out and Mach Punch. Marowak also hates getting statused, especially burned, so Pokemon like Mismagius and Rotom can outrun Marowak and proceed to cripple him with Will-O-Wisp. However, neither can withstand getting hit by Fire Punch or Stone Edge, so this is a rather unreliable way of stopping Marowak, especially when both can easily 2HKO Marowak with Shadow Ball.</p>

There wasn't much to correct really; good analysis

Oglemi

Borf
Thanks Breludicolo, but I only made like half your changes.

- I love the Overview as it sits because its already the one from the analysis on-site, and it had to have gone through GP checks whenever it was originally written and they thought it was fine.

- Thanks for the Aggron catch. I totally wasn't thinking when I wrote it.

- Some of the GP checks you mentioned are things that Eo and Snorlaxe were trying to get me away from in my Huntail analysis, so I'll wait until the GPers take a look at it.

- I removed the mention of Aerial Ace but left the mention of using Special options like Fire Blast and Ice Beam as they do have use on a Trick Room mixed set if a person used a spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk/ 252 SpA or something.

Otherwise I made a lot of the other changes. OP updated.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I completely forgot about my promise to give this a GP check, sorry :( I'll do it right now!

GP CHECK 1/2

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[Overview]
<p>Marowak shows a good example by wearing a skull as a helmet, because it is recommended other Pokémon do so when he's around; his attacking power is right up there with giants like Slaking and Medicham. Sadly, a Pokémon with such great Attack must have drawbacks. Marowak is unable to utilize Leftovers, has very lackluster HP and Special Defense, and is not the quickest Pokemon out there. However, with paralysis, Trick Room, or Baton Pass support, Marowak can be a real wrecking ball.</p>

[SET]
name: SubWak

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Thick Club doubling Marowak's Attack stat, the only thing stopping him from absolutely destroying the competition is his poor Speed and low defenses. So, in order to allow Marowak to wreak havoc on the other team, he needs some support from his teammates. The most effective form of support is paralysis. With a majority of the opposing team paralyzed, Marowak is free to come in on an opponent who poses little threat to him, such as support Pokemon like Chansey or Registeel, set up a Substitute, and proceed to OHKO the opposition with the appropriate move. Earthquake is Marowak's strongest move when factoring in STAB and is a reliable option. Double-Edge makes an appearance on this set thanks to its high base power and great coverage alongside Earthquake; as an added bonus, Marowak suffers no recoil from using it thanks to his ability, Rock Head. The last slot is mostly filler. Fire Punch allows Marowak to hit Torterra and Tangrowth, who avoid a 2HKO from his other moves. ThunderPunch can also be used in the last slot. It makes a good opening move for Marowak to use because it scouts the opponent's counter for Marowak. It also allows him to hit Flying-types for heavy damage.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>When using Marowak, the main goal is to come in on someone who you can force out, such as Registeel or Steelix, and set up Substitute as they switch. It should be noted that Marowak should not be revealed until late-game when the majority of the opposing team is gone, KOed, or paralyzed. This is important as it allows him to easily pick off the opposition without having to consistently switch out as the opponent reveals their Marowak counters. With the lack of Leftovers and no form of recovery availible to him, Marowak cannot afford to switch out very often. Substitute is the first move you should use because it allows Marowak to scout the opponent's supposed Marowak counters while blocking him from status conditions and priority moves. Once safely behind a Substitute, Marowak is free to wreak havoc upon the opponent with the appropriate moves.</p>

<p>Running Jolly is a must for this set; otherwise Marowak has nothing to separate himself from the likes of Rhyperior. With Jolly, Marowak is able to outpace and 2HKO 8 Speed Milotic, something his competition cannot boast. Adamant may be tempting for the higher damage output, but Jolly already ensures the necessary KOs mentioned, while Adamant offers no other notable ones.</p>

<p>Stone Edge can be used in the last slot to give Marowak the awesome QuakeEdge combination and a means to hit Rotom, but he cannot afford to miss with Stone Edge's shaky accuracy, and Double-Edge hits most of the Pokemon Stone Edge does for more damage. Stone Edge may seem tempting to guarantee the kill on Pokemon like Moltres and Articuno, but they are already KOed with a combination of Stealth Rock and Double-Edge/ThunderPunch. Focus Punch can be used in the last slot as well, but Fighting and Ground have a lot of overlapping coverage, and Earthquake will be hitting Pokemon for OHKOs and 2HKOs anyway. Focus Punch also requires that Marowak be behind a Substitute, which is not always possible, especially with his low defenses and Speed. However, the ability to OHKO Chansey, Clefable, and Kangaskhan is always welcome.</p>

<p>Swords Dance can be used on this set in the last slot as well. With Swords Dance, Marowak has no trouble OHKOing most of the UU tier, bar Rotom and Mismagius if using Earthquake and Double-Edge or Torterra and Claydol if using QuakeEdge, but it is incredibly difficult to accomplish without paralysis support or Trick Room, as Marowak is slow and will usually get only one turn to use Substitute, and not another turn to use Swords Dance as well.</p>

<p>As previously stated, this set thrives on paralysis support. Good teammates to provide said paralysis include Slowbro, Chansey, and Registeel. Slowbro draws Electric attacks which Marowak can switch on for free, and in return Slowbro sponges the Water- and Ice-type attacks aimed at Marowak. Chansey and Registeel take special attacks like champs and can easily absorb the Grass-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks that Marowak will encounter. The lack of any form of recovery really hurts this set's effectiveness, so Marowak usually only has one shot to deal massive damage or remove a problem Pokemon; however, this can be remedied with a Wish passing partner such as Clefable, who can also provide Heal Bell support in case Marowak gets burned or poisoned. Scyther and Swellow, who can abuse U-turn, make good partners to Marowak as they can lure out Steel-types who he has little trouble getting a Substitute up on.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Slowbro, Registeel, and Chansey make good teammates for Marowak as they can absorb the Water-, Ice-, and Grass-type attacks aimed at him and can also provide Marowak with paralysis support. If you're using Marowak on a Trick Room team, Pokemon who can reliably set up the field effect such as Slowbro, Exeggutor, and Uxie make the best teammates for him. The Psychic-types listed above also can set up Reflect and Light Screen, which can help Marowak take a few hits and let him show off his power.</p>

<p>Marowak can usually switch into the Steel-types of UU without much worry, so Pokemon who can lure them out, like Swellow and Scyther, make good teammates for him, as after luring the Steel-types out they can proceed to U-turn to Marowak. Marowak doesn't require Stealth Rock or Spikes support as he hits like a train, but with it, a lot of his 2HKOs will turn into OHKOs, so Pokemon who can get Stealth Rock up reliably, such as Omastar, make good partners to Marowak.</p>

<p>Marowak misses out on 2HKOs on a couple of notable Pokemon, such as Tangrowth, Claydol, Uxie, and Torterra, so Pokemon who can dispose of them easily make good partners for him. Ironically, Tangrowth with Hidden Power Ice makes a good partner to Marowak, removing 3/4 of the Pokemon listed. Dark-type Pokemon like Absol can easily remove of Uxie.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Marowak makes a rather infamous Trick Room sweeper. In Trick Room, Marowak can invest more in Attack and HP, and also has room for another attacking move in place of Substitute; however, when Trick Room ends, Marowak is a sitting duck and can be easily OHKOed. He has access to a plethora of Fighting-type attacks, such as Focus Punch, Brick Break, and Low Kick, but they offer redundant coverage alongside Earthquake, and are rather inferior when compared to Double-Edge or Stone Edge. Bonemerang can be used to allow Marowak to break Substitutes, but most of the Pokemon who will be using Substitute against him aren't affected by Ground-type attacks anyway. Marowak has access to Stealth Rock and Toxic, but he makes a much more effective attacker than a supporter.</p>

<p>Marowak also has access to Belly Drum if you're crazy enough to try it. With a Belly Drum boost alongside Thick Club and an Adamant nature, Marowak reaches an almost unimaginable Attack stat of 2,272; however, even with a Salac Berry boost, he will usually find himself outpaced and KOed by faster enemies before he can even land a hit, and his lack of a priority move doesn't help. Marowak also has access to a plethora of special options such as Fire Blast and Ice Beam, but his Special Attack stat is low, and the aforementioned moves have little use outside of hitting Torterra and Tangrowth for more damage than his other moves if he invests fully in Special Attack.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Marowak is rather defenseless if he isn't behind a Substitute, so Pokemon who can outpace and OHKO him make great checks; however, most Pokemon will be hard-pressed to switch into any of Marowak's attacks. Pokemon such as Venusaur, Sceptile, and Feraligatr all have no problem outrunning and OHKOing a Substitute-less Marowak. Tangrowth, Torterra, and Claydol can all avoid a 2HKO from any of Marowak's attacks (although Tangrowth and Torterra must be wary of Fire Punch) and can break his Substitutes and proceed to KO him.</p>

<p>If Marowak is in Trick Room, the best plan is to hit him with priority attacks. Azumarill can OHKO Marowak with Aqua Jet, while TechniTop can maim him with a combination of Fake Out and Mach Punch. Marowak also hates getting statused, especially burned, so Pokemon like Mismagius and Rotom can outrun Marowak and proceed to cripple him with Will-O-Wisp. However, neither can withstand getting hit by Fire Punch or Stone Edge, so this is a rather unreliable way of stopping Marowak, especially when both can easily 2HKO Marowak with Shadow Ball.</p>
Good job. Note that you were rather inconsistent in using "who" vs "that", but you seemed to use "who" the most, so I edited it to make "who" the consistent pronoun throughout the analysis. Anyway, since there are a lot of changes to make, my edits are directly copy + pastable. Lucky you! :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)