Max Raid Discussion Thread

Two of the random tox raids I hopped into yesterday were shiny! ...unfortunately, both were low key, and I caught the bug and have been joining tons of raids now trying to get shiny amped form :P No dice so far.

(And since I have shield, don't even have the option to cave and start doing raid exploits myself to get it!)

At least I'm replenishing my XL exp candy...

Now if only people would just stop dynamaxing when the boss is on low health with one bar left -_-

Excadrill and Golurk are solid choices against Toxtricity. They are immune to Electric and Poison/Boomburst, with both still resisting the other. Max Quake boosting special defence helps too. Even without full levels and EVs, my story Excadrill still won it easily.

I noticed Toxtricity's stun shock said "all your allies are paralyzed", but my maxed Excadrill was status-free.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Excadrill and Golurk are solid choices against Toxtricity. They are immune to Electric and Poison/Boomburst, with both still resisting the other. Max Quake boosting special defence helps too. Even without full levels and EVs, my story Excadrill still won it easily.

I noticed Toxtricity's stun shock said "all your allies are paralyzed", but my maxed Excadrill was status-free.
My Excadrill got paralyzed several times

My Excadrill got paralyzed several times
Yeah, seems like it's random and I got lucky there with poison immunity. I just now saw Toxtricity inflict paralyze and poison, and said my allies "got status conditions". For some reason the move always plays the poison sound effect, but you can see the status animate on your mons. Toxtricity killed Weavile with its next attack, and it showed up as dead with a poison icon.
1581186860343.png

The 4* Toxtricity has Hex and Drain Punch, along with Overdrive and Nuzzle. Surprising coverage, not sure if it's on the 5* as well but it's news to me.
On catch it has Overdrive/Hex/Venoshock/Drain Punch.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On Toxtricity, anyone notice how supremely difficult 5* is with NPCs? I mean, harder than most. I lost four times in a row to one last night with level 100 5 IV Excadrill thanks to a ton of parahax.

Last edited:
On Toxtricity, anyone notice how supremely difficult 5* is with NPCs? I mean, harder than most. I lost four times in a row to one last night thanks to a ton of parahax.
Well doesnt surprise me as it's a pokemon that spams AoE attacks, and those tend to be the hardest with NPCs to begin with

On Toxtricity, anyone notice how supremely difficult 5* is with NPCs? I mean, harder than most. I lost four times in a row to one last night thanks to a ton of parahax.
Difficulty also depends on sword vs shield, since at 5* low key is a 6 bar barrier and amped is 3 bar for some reason :blobshrug:

Useful for knowing whether it's worth it to try and catch if you're just hunting a specific form at least.

Last edited:
Two of the random tox raids I hopped into yesterday were shiny! ...unfortunately, both were low key, and I caught the bug and have been joining tons of raids now trying to get shiny amped form :P No dice so far.

(And since I have shield, don't even have the option to cave and start doing raid exploits myself to get it!)

At least I'm replenishing my XL exp candy...

Now if only people would just stop dynamaxing when the boss is on low health with one bar left -_-
So, I had a shiny Obstagoon raid over the weekend. I heard on Smogon somewhere that people have learned how to hack the raids so I'm guessing the shinies you saw and the one I saw were "fake".

I thought about throwing my Master Ball and letting it be my first shiny of Gen VIII, but I thought I'd regret it, so I chucked a matching Great Ball and... failure. I tend to release wonder trade shinies anyway.

So, I had a shiny Obstagoon raid over the weekend. I heard on Smogon somewhere that people have learned how to hack the raids so I'm guessing the shinies you saw and the one I saw were "fake".
There's no hacking involved, just a clever use of game mechanics and RNG manipulation.

One day (which is not today) GameFreaks will learn that system date is not a good way to determine RNG seeds.

I thought about throwing my Master Ball and letting it be my first shiny of Gen VIII, but I thought I'd regret it, so I chucked a matching Great Ball and... failure. I tend to release wonder trade shinies anyway.
As Worldie said, the max raid shinies are through an exploit with the system clock and rng manipulation, and so are legal. I will happily take those shinies. (Just in case you weren't sure: It is possible to get max raid shinies without exploits. I randomly got a shiny cursola raid by chance).

The hacked raids you read about might have been been the raids for the 35 mons not yet available, like Mewtwo or Squirtle. Those can only be obtained by hacking, and wouldn't be legal. (*Due to date manipulation making it impossible to determine when a mon was actually caught, I suppose it's possible some of them could become technically legal if they are eventually available in raids in Galar, but that's a medium-to-big if.)

There's no hacking involved, just a clever use of game mechanics and RNG manipulation.

One day (which is not today) GameFreaks will learn that system date is not a good way to determine RNG seeds.
Didn’t they have penalties in older games for when you changed the Switch’s time, they locked you out of time based events for 24hrs? Surprised they did not do it here.

Didn’t they have penalties in older games for when you changed the Switch’s time, they locked you out of time based events for 24hrs? Surprised they did not do it here.
There's the same penalties in SwSh (lock you out of time-based events for 24 hours). Just.. that's basically irrelevant

Happy Pokemon Day everyone! What's that? Pokemon Day is tomorrow? Tell that to the Mewtwo and his Kanto starter buds invading the Wild Area!

To celebrate Pokemon Day, an uncatchable lv 100 Mewtwo raid is roaming all around, and this guy is no joke. By far the strongest Raid we've ever had to fight, being able to 2 hit Zamazenta at lv 100 for a clean KO, and that was the physical set! But he and the starters drop some handsome rewards; a wartortle I caught earlier brought a Life orb with him, and Mewtwo managed to drop a battle caps, a ton of exp candies, PP ups, several sellable items, and even has a 25% ability capsule drop rate!

Whether you are looking for a worthy opponent or need to farm some battle items like the elusive flame orb, now is the time to start raiding! But they won't stick around long; the event ends March 2nd!

I beat a Mewtwo (weak special set). I ran Grimmsnarl with max HP/SpD and Light Screen/Thunder Wave/False Surrender/Taunt, with 2 online Zacian allies (1 level 100, 1 level 85) and Clefairy. Definitely a close battle, and it was very fortunate to get some full paralysis + no nasty plots.

T1 I used Thunder Wave, T2 I Light Screened, and then it was just False Surrender mostly. Learned Taunt does not go through barriers. I feel like Thunder Wave/Light Screen are a lot more lasting and usable, so I put Reflect over it afterwards. In the end I did get to dynamax and it kind of helped, since Mewtwo started hitting 3 times near the end.

Multiplayer is probably mandatory. (edit: Having a capable team really matters.) At one point we were all at red HP, but the 1 dead person managed to roll a cheer that fully healed everyone. Zacians are still pretty good, they can take Max Fires and might live if spread around. This is only based off my 1 successful fight though. Clefairy was actually a pretty cool guy, taking a follow me for the team and actually living on to the end.

There are 3 Mewtwo sets.
The first is special, with Nasty Plot + Psystrike/Flamethrower/Aura Sphere/Ice Beam.
The second is physical, with Bulk Up + Brick Break/Earthquake/Rock Slide/Fire Punch/Zen Headbutt.
The last is the hardest and offers slightly better rewards (+Bottle Cap, 50% PP Max, no Psychic TR). It starts with its barriers up immediately (6) and has Calm Mind + Fire Blast/Focus Blast/Blizzard/Psystrike. When I fought this, it could use 4 moves in a row from the start.

EDIT: As for my thoughts, I think it's a nice boss battle/endgame content with worthy rewards, and was more of what I expected raids to be like. Grinding puts you at an even match at best and there is a bit more strategy to it than the usual raids, though kind of RNG dependent (but possible). If you don't have online and/or just unlocked 5 star raids, then Mewtwo might just be an annoying roadblock. Even with online, the matchmaking is still the same as always. At least it doesn't last that long.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Mewtwo Raids - General Info:

Here's what I've compiled so far:

3 Mewtwo Sets

Mewtwo 1:

- Psystrike
- Flamethrower
- Aura Sphere
- Blizzard

+ Nasty Plot

Drops:

100% Balm Mushroom
100% Big Nugget
100% Comet Shard
100% PP Up
100% Rare Candy
100% TR11 Psychic
50% Ability Capsule
50% Pearl String
50% PP Up
50% Rare Candy

Bonus Drops:

20 x Exp. Candy L
10 x Exp. Candy XL
5 x Dynamax Candy
2 x Exp. Candy M
1 x Bottle Cap

Mewtwo 2

- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

+ Bulk Up

Drops:

100% Balm Mushroom
100% Big Nugget
100% Comet Shard
100% PP Up
100% Rare Candy
100% TR11 Psychic
50% Ability Capsule
50% Pearl String
50% PP Up
50% Rare Candy

Bonus Drops:

20 x Exp. Candy L
10 x Exp. Candy XL
5 x Dynamax Candy
2 x Exp. Candy M
1 x Bottle Cap

Mewtwo 3

- Psystrike
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard

+ Calm Mind

Drops:

100% Balm Mushroom
100% Big Nugget
100% Comet Shard
100% PP Up
100% Rare Candy
50% Ability Capsule
50% Pearl String
50% PP Max
50% PP Up
50% Rare Candy

Bonus Drops:

20 x Exp. Candy L
10 x Exp. Candy XL
5 x Dynamax Candy
2 x Bottle Cap
2 x Exp. Candy M

It's Level 100, but it has no EVs (like other raid bosses).

Themed around boosting moves, with the final (and hardest) Mewtwo having the best rewards. I believe this Mewtwo also sets up shields before the first turn.

So, I've combed through the Dex myself and I've come up with 5 Pokémon that are probably the best options for this raid. It's definitely no joke, and I'd probably say that aside from these 5, only a handful of other things work and this raid is incredibly RNG-reliant regardless.

:ss/grimmsnarl:

As mentioned above, there's Grimmsnarl. This is the best support Pokémon for this raid, with access to Prankster-enhanced moves such as Reflect, Light Screen, and Thunder Wave. It also has Dark STAB in addition to a fantastic typing that makes it immune to Mewtwo's STAB and not weak to its coverage.

:ss/lunala: / :ss/necrozma-dawn-wings:

I'm pairing these two together because they functionally accomplish the same thing: They are bulky Psychic / Ghost-types with access to powerful Ghost-moves that wittle Mewtwo down considerably. Lunala has access to Shadow Shield, which pairs well in tandem with items, to further bolster its surviving power against Mewtwo, while Necrozma-DW trades that for higher power.

:ss/perrserker: + :ss/zacian-crowned:

3 Cats and 1 Dog is still a viable strategy that uses the raw power of stacked Steely Spirit to annihiliate Mewtwo. Of course, Mewtwo's corresponding coverage can kill them, so it's definitely up to the RNG to decide whether you get scorched by Max Flare or you get to live to pummel it again.

Variants of this (4 Perrserker or 2 Perrserker + 2 Zacian) exist to accomplish about the same with varying degrees of success.

Honorable mentions:

:necrozma-dusk-mane: / :solgaleo: - Have resistances to most common moves and hit somewhat hard with Steel STAB. :jirachi: is weaker but can use Follow Me to help support the raid.

:marshadow: - Spectral Thief steals boosts (even through shields) and is immune / resists the Fighting and Rock coverage Mewtwo has. It also hits pretty hard with said move.

:mew: - You can probably get cheeky and use an Imprison set that blocks many of its moves and make the raid easier. Scummy, but cleverly blatant counterteaming.

EDIT:

Other, AWESOME honorable mention:

:shedinja: - Being hit with Soak (from Inteleon) and Magic Powder (from Hatterene) and using a Mew to transform into the now Water or Psychic-type Shedinja will make you immune to all of Mewtwo's moves! Run Protect and Sub on the lone Inteleon / Hatterene to increase chances of survival.

* The hindering ability wipe makes this strat fail for a turn, but the abilities go back into play later. Shedinja can simply be type changed again if it dies.

Actually did this strat tonight lol:

Other general advice:

1) Use items. People forget you can use items in raids because we've never had a raid as hard as this one. Being able to Full Restore your Lunala and have a 2nd Shadow Shield is a blessing. Since you only get 4 deaths, you can make it count by prolonging the lives of your Pokémon as much as possible.

2) If RNG favors you, the effects of the Cheer will probably save your ass because of effects such as removing shields, stat boosts, etc. A death can be a good thing!

3) The first 2 Mewtwo don't use Turn 0 Shields. If possible, coordinate status moves with teammates before it starts shielding - a burned Mewtwo 2 or a paralyzed Mewtwo in general is substantially easier to beat!

4) Don't solo this, you won't beat it :blobsad:

Gl frens!

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo just an update: DO NOT USE IMPRISON VS MEWTWO! Mewtwo just flat out ignores it, so its useless.

On the bright side me and Blitz and other folks pulled off the Shedinja strat. issue with it is that the one turn where Mewtwo nulls abilities could get VERY scary depending on its boosts. But hey here's proof that we won!

Marshadow has been working reasonably well for me joining random raids. It's a bit RNG dependent, of course, since Marshadow can't really take a max mindstorm or psystrike if Mewtwo targets it, but being able to continually drain Mewtwo of boosts---which it seems to love to go for---and keep Mewtwo's stats from getting out of hand has proven very useful. Sometimes Mewtwo doesn't even nullify the boosts immediately, which is helpful for dealing more damage or survivability depending on which set you're up against. I just wish I was getting more ability capsules.

Overall, still more pleasant to deal with than Gigantamax Hatterene.

So something i noticed earlier was the small rise of Clerics/healers in the form of Clefable and Gardevoir, keeping everyone up a bit with Life Dew to brace better against the very powerful spread moves. Screens seem way to important to abandon, so it seems to be the best party would consiest of 2 dps, a screen setter, and a a healer. We already got great support and screen setters, but who would be the best healers? Would Life Dew be better overall than say, Heal Pulse? What about moves that also increase party stats like Howl or aromatic Mist?

Physical Mewtwo definitely has Rock Slide.

You could tecnically use Sucker Punch if you want to be sniping the barrier to get off full hits, but honestly Foul Play is your best bet.
Less sucker punch please. Speaking from experience, it is useless after a max psychic puts up terrain.

So something i noticed earlier was the small rise of Clerics/healers in the form of Clefable and Gardevoir, keeping everyone up a bit with Life Dew to brace better against the very powerful spread moves. Screens seem way to important to abandon, so it seems to be the best party would consiest of 2 dps, a screen setter, and a a healer. We already got great support and screen setters, but who would be the best healers? Would Life Dew be better overall than say, Heal Pulse? What about moves that also increase party stats like Howl or aromatic Mist?
I have seen Life Dew Lapras and Mewtwo, they kind of worked. Clefable sounds nice for Unaware. I would say Life Dew is better than Heal Pulse, at least in randoms. Everyone is bound to be hit at some point and every HP counts for survival. It works well with tanks that might take minor damage that keeps adding up. Healing the user is nice too. Maybe Heal Pulse could work better in a coordinated strategy if you want to maintain a dynamax. Pollen Puff is a better Heal Pulse, but every user gets burnt up except Mew. Being able to set sun and keep firing away is scary.

I don't know if Howl is good, but buffing everyone sounds better than Aromatic Mist's single target that could be done by an X item. Even then it won't help much against barriers. Mewtwo does take more time than usual to get to the HP thresholds, but most of the fight is still on breaking the 12 shields. The screen setter can help out on that note after the first turns. The attackers mainly need to survive and just hit to key, though the host should capitalize on dynamax. The best I've had is Assault Vest Necrozma-Lunala.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)