What kind of keyboard do you use?

• Mechanical

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Scissor-switch

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Rubber dome

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
I recently got a Das Keyboard Silent with the student discount and so far it's pretty nice compared to my laptops scissor-switch keyboard.
Just post your opinions on mechanicals vs. rubber domes vs. scissor-switches, and what kind of keyboard you use.

I am a bit of a purist with keyboards and mice - the fanciest feature on either is the mouse's tiltwheel. My keyboard, like one of my monitors and speakers, came with the Dell Inspiron my parents bought in 2002 (died summer 2010, RIP) and have worked flawlessly since day one.
While not at the TAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKATAKA level of my friend's mechanical keyboard, it is definitely up there in noise production (incidentally, like the speakers) and has rather springy keys. Definitely a fan. Not sure what the actual switches are, though. Not backlit, no extra keys, just qwerty, F1-12, and numpad. as it should be.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I always used mech but when I switched to scissor switch when my parents purchased a mac I was pleasantly surprised. I'll probably stay with it. So silent.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
you're all wu
sses
i didn't bypass the letter stamps and it cracked my flatscreen​

I thought about getting one for awhile, the high cost turned me off and I haven't been able to actually test one in person (I think I tried going to a Best Buy or something to see if they had any on display but didn't have any luck) to see if it'd actually be worth the money.

On the other hand I did buy a ricer mouse, which was definitely a good purchase.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Mechanical all the way. Sadly, the keyboard is probably the most neglected component of a typical computer build (the other being the monitor), and it really pays dividends to have a comfortable typing experience. I also enjoy the clicking and clacking of a good mechanical keyboard myself. My first experience with one was the Das Model S Professional, which had cherry blue switches, and it was $100 after discounts. The feel was amazing after being stuck on rubber dome and scissor switch keyboards for so long, but it was also excessively bulky. I then heard about so called "Tenkeyless" keyboards, which are shorter keyboards lacking a number pad. Unfortunately, these types of keyboards (at least back when I was looking) were difficult to come by. So I eventually ventured to geekhack.org (a really good source of info about keyboards btw) and read some discussion about my future and now current keyboard, the Noppoo Choc Mini!

It was love at first sight. Regrettably these are only sold in China, but luckily a fellow at geekhack ordered some in bulk and sold me one (It was also around $100, but I managed to sell my Das so it all worked out). I have to say, it was actually a big improvement. Not only was it smaller, but the switches (despite being blues like in the Das) also felt more crisp. I still love typing on it to this day, though if I had some more spare change, I might want to try a keyboard with browns instead of blues.

@Bass I was considering getting a Filco TKL but it was an extra $30 and the NumPad doesn't bother me too much. Most of my research came from geekhack/overclock as well, took me a while reading over the forums to justify spending $108 on a keyboard lol.

I love me a good scissor switch. It's all about the minimal travel time for me, as small as the difference may be.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
surely im not the only person that just heads out to best buy and grabs the ugly black keyboard that costs 15 dollars...

having a nice keyboard could be cool but noise is really a non-issue for me, not to mention im clumsy with my drink so if i blew a lot of cash on something fancy it could really come back to bite me

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
nope im using one i bought from asda for £4 a few years ago. does the job. not sure why you would go out of your way to spend extra money on something thats no more useful than the cheaper version? if i was going to spend £100 on a keyboard it would be a fucking awesome one with every feature possible

like this one (might have to wait a few years for the price drop...)

surely im not the only person that just heads out to best buy and grabs the ugly black keyboard that costs 15 dollars...

having a nice keyboard could be cool but noise is really a non-issue for me, not to mention im clumsy with my drink so if i blew a lot of cash on something fancy it could really come back to bite me
Another cheap keyboard user here @_@ I would like a nice keyboard and avid mechanical keyboard connoisseur Bass sold me on a mech kb. Unfortunately, they are expensive, and given my talent for destroying keybords (drinks, breaking them physically, etc.), I don't think I should.

Another cheap keyboard user here @_@ I would like a nice keyboard and avid mechanical keyboard connoisseur Bass sold me on a mech kb. Unfortunately, they are expensive, and given my talent for destroying keybords (drinks, breaking them physically, etc.), I don't think I should.
one of the appeals of a mechanical keyboard is that they really don't die - they're quite durable and definitely won't break easily.

nope im using one i bought from asda for £4 a few years ago. does the job. not sure why you would go out of your way to spend extra money on something thats no more useful than the cheaper version? if i was going to spend £100 on a keyboard it would be a fucking awesome one with every feature possible

If you are wondering why people buy mechanical keyboards, and what they are about check out this.

I like how the $1600 keyboard is in the on sale section.

one of the appeals of a mechanical keyboard is that they really don't die - they're quite durable and definitely won't break easily.
Challenge accepted (not really, I don't have $100 to spend on something I'm promptly going to spill water on anyway).

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've stuck to the world of laptops, but if I ever need some a proper keyboard I have an ancient one that came with an Emachines desktop. Noisy as hell, but still lives after nearly a full can of Coke across it. Can't say I'm not impressed with that effort.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Exactly this. With some buttons missing, sticky buttons (from dozens of spilled drinks) the whole kitten kaboodle.

It never once occurred to me to buy a "good" keyboard. I have a job now so I guess I can throw some cash around and buy a 100 dollar keyboard from some online site.

Works beautifully, who said you need a $∞ keyboard
You don't need it, but the time I spend typing on a keyboard makes it worth it to spend some money to make the experience better. Pretty much everyone who switches to mechanical says that they like it more than scissor-switch/rubber dome keyboards.

I went from mechanical to a scissor-switch laptop keyboard when I got my own PC. I actually like pretty much everything about it for gaming, including the extra weight of the laptop case and parts, except the N cap is coming off and some keys seem to be dead...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)