Mega Abomasnow and pals

Mega Abomasnow is really never seen in UU, and there's no reason why not. Unlike OU, UU struggles to handle its great coverage, with Wood Hammer obliterating several of UU's prime walls such as Slowbro, Suicune, Hippowdon, Vaporeon, and Florges, and it has access to good priority and can afford to go mixed at the same time. Hail is also a weather condition that people seem ill-prepared for, cancelling leftovers and breaking sashes, while overriding Sandstorm.
Also, most importantly, it is a yeti with mortars. This often causes opponents to surrender.
I made this team yesterday, and after getting to grips with it I've been moving up the ladder quite quickly. I will talk about some of my issues and problems that I face at the end, but for now lets begin teambuilding!

Teambuliding + Reasoning

So we start with Crobat- not much to say, except the choice banded set provides some truly insane damage and will ohko almost any mon not investing in defense it can get a neutral hit on. For instance, the standard nidoking is ohkod from full hp without stealth rock, and specially defensive florges has a 75% chance of getting ohkod (by brave bird, not even with a super effective move). Fast, hard hitting, and scary as hell, he's a good place to start.

Mega Abomasnow provides a very synergistic typing with Crobat- Crobat takes poison, fighting, and bug attacks, while mega abomasnow takes ice and electric attacks aimed at the bat. Mega Abomasnow gets slept on so much so it was fun to add it to my team. He also starts my team off with some early priority, as well as breaking galvantula sashes with hail for crobat to casually ohko later.

Sharpedo is added in as a late-game option here- while also providing my team with a special attacker. I chose specially offensive Sharpedo because I think it is a more relevant set in the UU meta. He gives me yet another fast pokemon to add to the team, and with the chip damage from crobat's scouting and hail, he should be able to sweep nicely.

I have two electric weaknesses and two rock weaknesses so far, so I add Flygon in order to balance those out. He adds perfectly to the team due to creating a scouting core with Crobat, whilst also providing defog support. Sharpedo can't tank an Ember, so getting an actual fire resist is helpful vs Darmanitan and Victini, whilst also having immunity to some of their coverage moves.

Florges patches up the special defense side of my team, and can perhaps supply my team with wishes. Honestly I think Florges is one of the best pokemon in UU and its hard to justify not using it on a team, as original as it is. Fairy typing is very useful in the meta with a reasonable amount of scarf jolly flygon running amok too, something which my team is not a huge fan of apart from abomasnow.

This feels weird, but Arcanine seemed to be the thing that my team needed- a defensive pokemon with fire resist, with the added bonus of a +2 priority move. This covers my pokemon who have invested more in offenses than their speed.

After some playtesting I realised that my team needed some changes. Sharpedo was a huge asset to my team but I found myself repeatedly getting worn down by stealth rocks, and having huge issues with threats being able to repeatedly switch in and out of my team as they pleased. Flygon always seemed like a loss of momentum when he used stealth rock, so I replaced the move on flygon and brought in a new mon to become my defogger: Mew. Switching to Mew led to a transition of my team moving from offensive to more of a defensive stall team, and I feel like that is a lot more fitting environment for Abomasnow and pals.

When someone uses Crocune, you know they care far more about winning than actually having fun. This is the case here, as Crobat was tons of fun to use (watching mons get dropped instantly to 0%) but as Brawlfest picked up on, I was compounding a serious stealth rock weakness that was not always solved by having a defogger. Suicune was a great suggestion as it allows me to deal with the frustrating mon that is Umbreon with 3 pokes, as well as having another check to fire types to ease the burden on Arcanine. this lets me not need to play so carefully on Flygon, so I was able to give him some more heavy hitting but reckless moves. Suicune also provides me with a much-needed win condition.
The team is now complete, so I will go into more detail about their movesets!

Movesets + Changes made

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Brave Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

This Abomasnow is a pretty standard physically offensive Abomasnow. I went for a fully physically offensive set because I wanted a powerful Ice Shard, and a powerful Wood Hammer which I believe to be stronger in UU than Blizzard (also, my sharpedo has an ice beam and ice shard is enough for the likes of flygons etc). Blizzard deals huge damage, but is easily outsped so flying types get the chance to ohko me before I can ohko them- and on the switch, wood hammer/ice shard -> ice shard will be enough to 2hko most things weak to ice. Also if I find myself switching into Abomasnow on the turn that Hail ends, then I don't want to be left with an inaccurate move. Earthquake deals with steel types, and Giga drain can heal me back up on mons who can't damage me such as Donphan. Giga Drain also lets me beat Slowbro even if he gets a lucky burn on me.
Every time this guy comes in safely, I get a chance to OHKO something. His power is seriously underrated and unprepared for. The only issue is I have to be thoughtful about how to bring him in, and usually it requires a double-switch by me in order to switch him in, which can be risky.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Suicune was added after saying goodbye to one of my favourite pokemon, Crobat. Suicune provides this team with a win condition, as well as being a pokemon who can actually deal with walls just by boosting- he also provides some much-needed special offense as all of my other mons apart from Florges use mainly physical attacks. Crocune is a well known set, so it requires no real explanation- boost on something that cant touch you and then win the game due to forfeit, smothering the guilty feeling underneath newfound heights on the ladder. He's also an excellent check to Chandelure which my team was otherwise struggling with somewhat. AND to top it all off, he avoids the 2hko from Honchkrow's Brave Bird!

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp

I switched out my specially offensive Sharpedo for this little guy, which means my team is entirely physically offensive. However, in UU there are no physical walls that enjoy a Wood Hammer to the face apart from Physically defensive Umbreon, who can't deal with Florges. This Mew also has no attacking moves because good taunt users are hard to find in UU, and Mew will never lead the match either way. Defog was something that my team needed hugely, because constantly switching would quickly spell doom for Arcanine, Crobat and Abomasnow, who all are stealth rock weak and use recoil moves. Stealth Rock also seemed essential for my team, with lots of switches being forced and top threats like Victini and Darmanitan being destroyed by constantly having to switch into them. Will-O-Wisp really hurts the steel and ground types that actually dont care about switching into SR, and is good for Metagross in particular, who can otherwise punch a few holes in my team.
0 atk IVs means Umbreon's foul play is a guaranteed 3hko in hail.

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

This Arcanine is my fire resist, as well as Sableye/Entei/Arcanine/Darmanitan/Victini check. Its necessary that something on my team takes will-o-wisps, because Florges would prefer to stay healthy due to not having Aromatherapy. Extreme Speed is a great move for grabbing the last hit on something which outspeeds my other mons such as scarf jolly flygon. Close combat is for luring in Houndoom and ohkoing/ 2hkoing with close combat -> ESpeed. Intimidate is useful because I have nothing else on my team which is particularly dedicated to taking physical attacks.
EDIT: Changing Leftovers to Rocky Helmet has made Arcanine a fantastic Honchkrow counter as well as Mienshao counter- the combination of 2 rounds of life orb damage (from fake out and u-turn), 2 rounds of rocky helmet damage, and damage from extremespeed will bring mienshao down to 11% hp at turn 2 which is a great way to cripple a Mienshao lead for the rest of the match. Leftovers wasn't really necessary on the mons that Arcanine beat, and it helps turn shaky checks into successful counters.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

This is fire resist#2, as well as providing a bunch of other useful resists with the dragon/ground typing that help out my other teammates. The main perk of this Flygon set (which was basically stolen from Excadrill's set in OU) is that it allows it to be utility, wallbreaking, revenge killing, while also providing a very fast defog if necessary. Once its job is done, it goes out with a bang with a powerful Outrage backed up by an adamant nature. This guy does a lot of work, and always feels to be useful during the match due to immunities, speed, resists, damage, the whole package.
EDIT: I changed this set after some advice from better players. Flygon wasnt really able to use defog ever, since u-turn always felt like a more momentum-conserving move every time I brought him in. I switched this out to rock slide, which allows me more coverage. I changed to Jolly nature in order to outspeed choice scarf Darmanitan and tie with Victini, both of which cause issues for me if Arcanine is dead.

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 132 SDef / 252 HP / 124 Def
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Florges glues my team together as a specially defensive wall and decent special attacker. I pack toxic, which allows me to stall out aromatherapy on other Florges and beat them down eventually. Wish is mostly for self-recovery, but I can also obviously use it to keep my team healthy if I can find a free switch. The evs are a mess, but I felt that full spdef investment wasnt needed. if someone can suggest a better EV spread that would be appreciated!
EDIT: I switched Toxic for Aromatherapy after I decided to replace Sharpedo with Mew. There's so much status flying around in UU and my team had a huge weakness to Scald in particular. Being able to beat other florges was great, but my team is too weak to status after that. Florges can now keep mega Abomasnow alive for much longer, as toxic + wood hammer recoil usually meant death after a couple of turns.

Conclusion

So thats the whole team. For once, i feel like this is one of my first ever teams where nothing feels like the weak link. After making a few changes, my team feels definitely comfortable with dealing with the mons who threatened it before, in particular Darmanitan, Victini (both scarfed) and Honchkrow, as well as being much better at punishing teams for switching repeatedly, something that Mega Abomasnow forces them to do. The only mon which causes my team some real hassle is Choice Scarf Chandelure... nothing on my team resists shadow ball and Arcanine can't deal any damage back despite being able to soak up Fire Blasts/Energy Balls due to flash fire chandy being immune to everything he has. Florges is crippled by trick, and Flygon can avoid the ohko from anything and hit back with EQ (as well as locking it into trick if it uses it) but it still takes a chunk from Shadow Ball. Dealing with Chandelure isn't so hard if rocks are up, but it can happily switch into florges, mew, and arcanine without fearing anything in return. Because choice Scarf Chandelure is such a huge threat, sub variations can really screw my team up when I'm somewhat forced to switch into arcanine or flygon, while crobat beats the sub variation it can't beat the scarf variation due to being 2hkod and outsped... The addition of Suicune alleviates my Chandelure weakness somewhat, but he is afraid of trick still. tldr: shadow ball from 145 SpA hurts
I'm not swept by it, but it can reliably cause some holes in my team if it has trick.
Sometimes I find myself in a situation where Arcanine is in hail, and this can be an issue for him due to the reduced effectiveness of Morning Sun, but the stuff that Arcanine walls usually don't do enough damage to break him either way. It hasnt caused a problem yet, but I can see where it could. Hail also chips down Crobat, but he's not particularly designed for longevity the way I use him.
Almost everything else is handled (i think??), and I just got onto the ladded at the end of yesterday after using the team for a day, and it will hopefully continue to climb.

Please give me feedback and tell me if there are ways that I can improve/ threats that I need to watch out for! Umbreon is always a pain, especially gimmicky strategies such as confuse ray... but I've been managing everything pretty well as long as I can outplay my opponent.

Changelog

Changed Sharpedo for Mew!
Changed Toxic for Aromatherapy
Changed Crobat for Suicune! You served me well ;-;

Last edited:

Brawlfest

I SOUND WEIRD LIKE NIGGA WITH A HARD R
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Alright definitely a solid team! I'm immediatly seeing a stealth rock weakness. I realize you have defog, but there are times where you won't be able to get it off, and that is going to cost you especially due to the typings on your team. This said, this team doesn't have major weaknesses, due to its very standard and reliable archetype. One thing I am seeing your team has issues breaking through is Bulky Offense, as well as Stall, which you are not tailored towards beating due to your ease of being worn down. Darmanitan is also a pretty big issue, since you really don't want to swtich into it at all.

Honestly, looking over the team, the one weak point I'm seeing is CB Crobat. Its a wonderful pokemon, but frankly it doesn't fit on your team. It stacks weaknesses, doesn't help your team, and overall weakens your team more than it adds to it. The simple solution is to replace it with CroCune. This pokemon 6-0's all relavant stall teams easily due to RestTalk preventing status wear down, while its CM + High Defense being able to allow it to setup. It also beats down bulky offense, due to its inability to break through CroCune, while it can set up to +2 or +3 and basically sweep. It also makes for a great pivot into fire types such as Darmanitan, continuously checking it. Basically, it patches up your weaknesses, and forms a great FWG Core with Arcanine and Abomasnow, who actually remove all of Crocune's relavant threats.

Minor Changes:<br />
Abomasnow: Blizzard > Wood Hammer for a stronger 100% accurate strong Ice STAB, also to preserve health and stay around for longer. EVs: 100 Atk / 160 SAtk / 248 HP to maximize offenses and bulk.
Flygon: Outrage > Dragon Claw, because its better for cleaning, and Flygon is piss weak without Outrage, and will be spamming EQ anyways. Stone Edge > Rock Slide because again, Flygon is extremely weak, and finds it necessary to use Stone Edge to reliably revenge kill.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Calm Mind

Thanks a lot for the reply! I will look into using crocune because you are definitely right with the points you make regarding its benefits, but I'd also like to provide these stats:

-1 252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 75-88 (19.5 - 22.9%)
-1 252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 128-152 (33.3 - 39.5%)
-1 252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 126-150 (32.8 - 39%)

Arcanine can switch into Darmanitan at any point provided it is healthy, and Flygon can also take a flare blitz if I am in a bad situation, outspeed and ohko:

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 162-191 (53.8 - 63.4%)
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 68-80 (22.5 - 26.5%)

Provided I can get rocks up and keep them up, Darmanitan will have a hard time switching in and will get worn down a lot faster than Arcanine. Even with life orb darmanitan can't get the 2hko (although it is close), and will get worn down a lot faster due to life orb. That also means that Crobat can easily outspeed and ohko too.

I originally was using Outrage for Flygon but the #2 guy on the UU ladder told me to switch it to Dragon Claw, so I am somewhat in two minds now >_<; I will however definitely switch Rock Slide to Stone Edge, I just hate that miss chance. I originally wanted to use Outrage over Dragon Claw because of your reasoning, so I think I will just play a few matches with Dragon Claw and see if I can actually afford that damage drop- I think in most cases, if I am not spamming EQ then I will be using stone edge to hit a flying switch-in or otherwise u-turning away so I think I will probably switch back to Outrage. Thanks :)

Regarding Blizzard>Wood Hammer, I think Wood Hammer is really crazy strong in UU right now. It hits harder than blizzard and UU is not prepared for it- it obliterates Crocune on the switch (expecting a blizzard) for instance, and Giga Drain is paired with it in order to deal with the recoil. I also have a wish passing Florges. Choosing Wood Hammer means I get a stronger EQ and Ice Shard too due to the ability to fully invest in my attack EVs. Also notably Crocune can beat you if you just have Giga Drain. It can switch into giga drain, calm mind once, then rest, and avoid the 2hko from then on.
Wood Hammer beats Mega Blastoise (102.7 - 121.5%), Suicune (wood hammer on switch followed by giga drain, can 2hko while it is asleep if it chooses to rest), Florges (82.7 - 97.7%), and a few other lower tier threats- but this set can beat the two S rank water types at the same time as well as the premier wall Florges, which is a big deal. Giga drain only deals 60%ish to mega blastoise, which means I have to be very scared of a aura sphere which almost ohkos me in return in order to finish him off. I'd rather just get rid of him on the switch and lose 30% of my hp from recoil rather than 70% from aura sphere + giga drain recovery. It also brute forces its way through Umbreon, and most players seem to expect a blizzard and switch in the wrong pokes anyway. The additional power on EQ also lets me ohko Entei, and Victini switch-ins after stealth rock + hail damage. My team is also incredibly switch-heavy, which means often Abomasnow will start up hail, switch out, and be back in before Hail has finished, giving me a single turn to use Blizzard before it becomes a 70% accuracy move. That's my reasoning behind keeping Wood Hammer.

Last edited:
I love your team! I have a very similar team, in fact, but with Mienshao and Tentacruel over Suicune and Mew, a few different spreads (like bulky specially-based mixed Abomasnow and a better Florges spread) and different items (like Flygon has a Choice Band instead of a scarf) but Im sure your team functions the same way: get Mega Abomasnow and wreck switch-ins and provide it the support it needs because its power, like you said, is really unaccounted for. I am going to recommend a slight change for Arcanine though: this is walled to death by Chandelure, who could get a free switch in and cripple your team with either Trick if its choiced or a sub, depending on the set. So I recommend Crunch> Close Combat so you can deal with that easier; besides, the defense drops from Close Combat are not always good, and can easily force you to switch out, which, especially if rocks or spikes are up, takes away from its ability to check the Fire types in the tier. You also have a scarf Flygon, which will easily take care of Mega Houndoom.

As for the Florges spread, I use 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpDef Calm Nature and it really is an awesome spread. Otherwise, great team! Gotta love that Mega Abomasnow!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)