ORAS NU Mega Audino Stall

upload_2016-10-15_2-21-34.png
upload_2016-10-15_2-21-56.png
upload_2016-10-15_2-43-58.png
upload_2016-10-15_2-25-5.png
upload_2016-10-15_2-25-34.png
upload_2016-10-15_2-24-46.png

Hello and welcome to my RMT. Today we're going to be exploring a stall team I constructed during the Tauros Suspect Test and prior to the drop of Quagsire, Trevenant, and Gurdurr to NU. Stall, while a viable playstyle in the meta, definitely struggled against setup sweepers like RestTalk Malamar and Swords Dance Samurott due to the lack of a viable Unaware user. The addition of Charizard to the tier certainly didn't help matters. In short, there were a lot of setup sweepers and breakers that made it hard for stall to perform consistently in the meta. This inspired me to try and design a stall team that would be able to best deal with the threats I mentioned earlier in addition to checking the rest of the meta. Keep in mind that this team still works in the current NU metagame, but was built without Quagsire for the reason that it was not in the tier at the time.

I started with Mega Audino, as its unique typing of Normal/Fairy is a fantastic resource for any bulky team. Its Wish passing and cleric abilities are essentially unmatched, and having Regenerator pre-Mega is awesome.

upload_2016-10-15_2-28-11.png

Steelix was added because it covers Audino's Steel and Poison weaknesses and benefits greatly from Audino's Wish support. It also gave the team a Stealth Rocker and phaser with Roar.

upload_2016-10-15_2-31-25.png
upload_2016-10-15_2-24-7.png

The team needed a Fighting resist as well as a solid answer to Malamar, which Weezing was able to excell at. Weezing also spreads status via Will-O-Wisp, Toxic Spikes, and Sludge Bomb, and has Taunt to help beat opposing stalls.

upload_2016-10-15_2-31-25.png

The team needed resistances to Fire and Water attacks on both the physical and special side, as well as a better check to Manectric. The team was also primarily physically defensive at this point, and added special bulk was necessary to ensure that threats like Taunt Life Orb Pyroar couldn't just get a free kill every time it hit the field. Thus, Lanturn and Gourgeist-Super were chosen. These Pokemon also spread status with ease and Gourgeist spinblocks opposing teams.

Up until this point, the team was very slow and lacked hazard control. Thus, a bulky Defog Archeops was added to fulfill the role of a Defogger and another Fire resist. Archeop's relatively powerful Acrobatics also helps to check Lilligant, Scyther, and Ludicolo outside of Rain.

upload_2016-10-15_2-43-58.png

After some testing, I found that I continued to lose to Sun and Rain teams, as my Fire and Water resists found themselves overwhelmed either by coverage moves or repeatedly switching in to high-powered, weather boosted STAB moves. Steelix and Weezing were also pretty much dead weight in those matchups. I tried adding Toxic onto Steelix and Gourgeist to help punish Water and Fire types switching in to punish those better, as well as using Protect on Lanturn and Audino to stall weather turns and rack up Toxic damage. I also struggle to beat Quiver Dance Lilligant and Vileplume. Thus, Eviolite Sliggoo was added to the team for its unique resistance to all three of Fire, Water and Grass, the three attacking types omnipresent on weather teams. Initially, I was using RestTalk with Curse and Outrage as a win condition, but that set was later scrapped in favor of a different one. Changes were also made to other members to help compensate for the exacerbated Malamar weakness.

The Team

upload_2016-10-15_2-56-28.png

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 48 SpA / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore
- Protect

Mega Audino is the glue for this team and is the centerpiece of just about every bulky team in ORAS NU. There's pretty much no reason to use anything other than Mega Audino for the role it performs, and as the only Mega in NU there's no opportunity cost associated with using it as your Mega. Mega Audino is important for keeping the other members healthy by passing them large Wishes, which will restore more than 50% of any given member when passed, as Audino possess the highest HP stat of any member on the team. Audino is also key for protecting the team from Knock Off and Trick, something that the other members of the team can be severely crippled by. The EV spread looks complicated but is simply a deviation of the standard defensive spread. Max HP with the given Defense EVs ensure that Tauros almost never 2HKOes Mega Audino with Rock Climb if Stealth Rocks are on the field, and the SpDef EVs make it so that Modest Life Orb Samurott 3HKOes with Hydro Pump without hazards on the field. The Special Attack investment ensures that RestTalk Malamar is 3HKOed by Dazzling Gleam. Instead of using Heal Bell, this particular Mega Audino runs Encore, which ensures that the team can consistently beat RestTalk Malamar and Calm Mind Mega Audino by Encoring them into whatever move and pivoting into the appropriate check. Malamar can successfully be stalled out of its Superpowers by Encoring it with Mega Audino, Protecting, and switching out into Gourgeist, giving you an opportunity to throw off a Leech Seed or a Will-O-Wisp. Calm Mind Mega Audino can be beaten by Encoring it into a passive move like Calm Mind or Dazzling Gleam and pivoting out into Steelix. The Speed EVs ensure that this strategy will always work versus defensive Audinos, and you take any hit from offensive Calm Mind Audino anyways.

upload_2016-10-15_3-16-48.png

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Steelix is Audino's defensive partner-in-crime and takes on the likes of Skuntank and Klingklang that try to prey on Audino's inability to touch them. While at full health, this thing can be a get out of jail free card against certain setup sweepers thanks to the combination of Roar and Sturdy. Roar is key for dealing with bulky Calm Mind users like Musharna that could otherwise be troublesome. This is one of the sturdier answers to Tauros in the NU tier, as Fire Blast fails to 2HKO this spread under most circumstances. Steelix's physical bulk is immense enough to not need investment, allowing Attack and SpDef to be focused on. Don't be afraid to click Heavy Slam and Earthquake often, as their generally high base power ensures that even switch-ins that resist will be punished.

upload_2016-10-15_3-29-58.png

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Breath
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sliggoo is really important for beating Rain and Sun teams, which possess threats like Ludicolo, Solar Beam Charizard, and Solar Beam Pyroar. These threats have ways of hitting Lanturn, who would otherwise be able to check them a lot more effectively. While Lanturn can usually survive the hit, it will be severely weakened and unable to check other threats on the opposing team, who will be able to break through at that point. Thanks to solid SpDef boosted by Eviolite, resistances to Fire, Water, and Electric, and immunity to Grass because of Sap Sipper, Sliggoo is more than capable of withstanding repeated hits from otherwise dangerous weather sweepers. Important also is Sliggoo's ability to still take on Lilligant and Vileplume, as Sliggoo replaces Weezing on this team and thus will need to handle at least some of Weezing's roles. The SpDef specifically ensures that Sliggoo is 3HKOed by Samurott's and Ludicolo's Ice Beam, and it avoids a 2HKO from Sash Jynx's Ice Beam. While rest is generally unreliable, the use of Sleep Talk as well as the Heal Bell support from Lanturn makes this feasible.

upload_2016-10-15_3-41-43.png

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Defog
- Rock Slide

This Archeops set came as a surprise to me when I first learned of its use and existence, but I have grown fond of its consistency and I like the speed factor that it adds to the team. The Defog support that Archeops provides ensures that Toxic Spikes are less of an issue and gives the team a fighting chance against Ferroseed, who is hard for the team to wear down and can get multiple layers of Spikes before dying. Roost is necessary for Archeop's longevity, and it should used as often as possible to keep Archeops healthy enough to switch in to resisted hits. Even without investment, Rock Slide and Acrobatics get the job done versus their intended targets. Earthquake and Taunt are viable options over Rock Slide to deal with opposing Stealth Rockers like Regirock trying to switch in, but Rock Slide is key for KOing Swords Dance Charizard and Swords Dance Scyther if Stealth Rock are not up or Archeops falls into Defeatist range. For obvious reasons, no item is run.

upload_2016-10-15_3-50-2.png

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Gourgeist is the team's spinblocker and stop to physical Water types like Kabutops and Swords Dance Samurott. It is also the team's sole Fighting resist, although this isn't too big of a deal considering Archeops can revenge kill most Fighting types anyways. Colbur Berry helps with Knock Off Hariyama and ensures that I don't have to fear being Pursuit trapped as much. Seed Bomb is a must-have for hitting Rock, Water, and Ground types, which is what Gourgeist is supposed to be checking. Will-O-Wisp cripples any non-Guts, non-Fire type physical attacker and racks up residual damage. Synthesis and Leech Seed ensure that Gourgeist can remain healthy throughout the match, which is imperative considering the lack of Leftovers. Leech Seed is appreciable for the team support that it provides in the recovery department.

upload_2016-10-15_3-58-32.png

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 152 Def / 208 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Lanturn has great defensive synergy with Gourgeist and fulfills the role of Heal Bell user on the team. The slow pivoting abilities afforded to us by Volt Switch are great for getting in members who cannot afford to switch directly in but can take a hit from their current range of HP. Getting a burn with Lanturn's Scald is often key in dealing with the likes of Weezing and Ferroseed, who can be difficult to kill otherwise. Not much to say about the EVs, just the standard spread. Protect is an awesome move on Lanturn in my opinion; its great for wasting Weather turns, obtaining extra Leftovers recovery, scouting for coverage moves, and potentially racking up Burn and Leech Seed damage on the opponent. Protect is also cool in that it means your opponent can't really double switch on Lanturn, as it will just have the opportunity to see what the switch-in of choice was and either Protect again or switch accordingly. I can recall a game where Lanturn was at roughly 17%, and I was able to get back to around 53% because my opponent kept double switching on my Lanturn into something that couldn't really touch it, allowing me to Protect repeatedly and get six turns of Leftovers.

upload_2016-10-15_11-39-56.png

Troublesome to deal with in that my lone Ice resist is weak to Grass, and my resistances to Grass are weak to Ice. Archeops can generally tank one Ice Shard from full, stay out of Defeatist, and OHKO in return with Acrobatics. Getting up Stealth Rocks helps, and Steelix can live a hit and retaliate, although it generally doesn't want to take one and Heavy Slam doesn't OHKO.

upload_2016-10-15_11-46-19.png

Gurdurr's access to Guts, Knock Off, and high bulk due to Eviolite makes it a pest to deal with. Bulk Up sets in particular can be troublesome if Mega Audino is weakened, although at a decent amount of HP Mega Audino can easily Encore it into whatever move it chooses and has a shot of 2HKOing Gurdurr with Dazzling Gleam. Archeop's Acrobatics also does a number if Gurdurr has no boosts yet.

upload_2016-10-15_11-49-48.png

Choice sets will almost always be able to Trick something, as Audino cannot afford to switch-in after Mega Evolving, and in any case Audino cannot damage Haunter back. Decide what you want to get Tricked and kill it either with Steelix or Archeops.

upload_2016-10-15_12-0-16.png

Sub Nasty Plot sets are very dangerous, but can be Encored by Audino. Scarf sets are handled by Mega Audino, and all other sets are beaten by Lanturn Volt Switch into Archeops. Its still a pain to have to deal with Lovely Kiss shenanigans, and STAB Ice is just generally very good against the team.

upload_2016-10-15_11-53-47.png

Less of a threat to this stall team than some others, but is problematic if Mega Audino is at a low amount of HP and it starts boosting. Steelix almost always lives a hit and can Roar it out in an emergency.

upload_2016-10-15_11-56-32.png

Support sets with Taunt and Will-O-Wisp are very annoying to beat, but Sliggoo can fish for Paralysis with Dragon Breath and Archeops can revenge kill it once its around 60%. Nasty Plot sets just get Encored by Audino if they aren't packing Taunt.

upload_2016-10-15_12-4-17.png

Fire Blast chunks Gourgeist and Steelix, two otherwise very good answers to Tauros. Iron Head or Iron Tail deal with Mega Audino, who can otherwise take two Rock Climbs. Usually Steelix will have to take the hit and hit it back with a Heavy Slam.

upload_2016-10-15_12-7-53.png

Magic Bounce renders status moves a liability and forces the team to play on the offensive. Xatu is not that hard to wear down, but its presence makes you think twice about making certain plays that would otherwise be optimal, as Xatu coming in and bouncing back a Will-O-Wisp or Stealth Rocks is a big momentum killer. Archeops with Rock Slide is notable for being able to revenge kill Calm Mind Xatu regardless of its boosts.

upload_2016-10-15_12-11-14.png

Toxic Boost boosted STAB Facade is a nuke, and this thing has coverage for Steelix and Gourgeist with Close Combat and Knock Off. Both Gourgeist and Steelix can tank a hit, but they will not enjoy doing so. Archeops is also capable of revenge killing after Toxic damage racks up a little bit.

Replays+Peak
These will be added in the near future.

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 48 SpA / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore
- Protect

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 152 Def / 208 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Defog
- Rock Slide

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Breath
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Attachments

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there bmacbnasty your team looks like a really solid start to stall, but has some awkward Pokemon that imo don't really fit necessarily. Here we go!
  • First off, I do not feel like Archeops, even invested in bulk, offers the utility or bulk that stall wants from their hazard control. Furthermore, it's natural base stats lean more towards offense than defense, making the investment in bulk not as prominent as it wants to be. For this reason, Pelipper > Archeops can give you a nice Fighting check (a type Archeops is only neutral to), more overall bulk, and less overall weaknesses for the opponent to take advantage of. Pelipper also relieves pressure off of Gourgeist as currently it is your only Fighting-type switch-in bar Audino post-Mega. The mixed defensive set can also give the team a secondary Water check that has reliable recovery that can pivot, essentially compressing more roles for the team than Archeops. Lastly, The speed of Archeops isn't as missed since stall's main goal as a team, and as a playstyle, is to outlast the opponent, so bulk is more important.

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
  • Next up, I feel like Steelix makes you to weak to Ice-types and easily pressured by Normal-types that can overpower Gourgeist such as Tauros and Kangaskhan due to their coverage and power. For this reason, I feel like Bronzor > Steelix is a more solid option. Bronzor gives you the best Normal- and Ice-type check since it resists the latter unlike Steelix and has access to Levitate, meaning it avoids Normal types' common coverage for Steel-types i.e. Earthquake. Bronzor does lack the offensive presence that Steelix has, but in the long run, it has far more sustainability and can help to stall your opponent even longer. Skill Swap allows you to take on Calm Mind Xatu, a big threat to common stall teams, a lot easier while Rest means you are not as reliant on having Mega Audino pass Wishes.

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Skill Swap / Rest
  • Lastly, I feel a minor change to Sliggoo's moves is in order. Going with Thunderbolt > Ice Beam gives Sliggoo the option of nailing Shell Smash users such as Barbaracle and Omastar hard while also dispatching of Pelipper and Mantine a lot easier.

Thunderbolt > Ice Beam

Other than that, this looks like a really cool stall team that you customized to your liking and I hope I helped you with the changes I provided n_n

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)