ORAS OU Mega Beedrill Team, rate please?

Beedrill-Mega (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Protect

EV Distribution: Fast Physical Sweeper
Mega Beedrill, the glass cannon..I thought protect was necessary to scout for priority moves like Fake Out/SP/MP/BP/Aqua Jet etc.(advice on this would be appreciated), so boop, it's there. U-Turn is heavy STAB and a free switch if the opponent decides to switch out after encountering this monster. Knock Out covers the annoying Ghosts and removes the items at the same time, also another reason I decided Payback wasn't necessary for Conkeldurr later on. Nothing much else needs to be said about this mon, it's a beast!

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn to set up hazards here, equal distribution of EVs to Def and SpD, is that fine? Not so sure about replacing Toxic or LS with Gyro Ball, so I kept them there for the mean time. Power Whip is STAB with Ferrothorn's originally pretty okay Attack stat.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Healing Pulse
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

EV Distribution allows it to be a fast Special sweeper.
I figured I could do with a Life Orb high damage Latios, what with Gengar being scarfed already. Draco Meteor and Psyshock for STAB, defog for hazard removal. Roar allows it to switch out anything that's slowly building up to become a threat.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

EV Distribution is such that Conkeldurr has a hefty amount of HP to withstand one Psychic type attack. Need it such that it can hold out for a DP, and the burn, then outspeed with Mach Punch. Bulky, high Att mon.
Guts and Flame Orb are pretty self-explanatory, MP to outspeed potential life/death situations for Conk here, DP for STAB and health recovery from Burn, Stone Edge for flying types and fire types and Earthquake for further type coverage. Not so sure about distributing points to SpD instead of fully committing to health though, I figured it could sacrifice some bulk for damage reduction.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 156 HP / 184 Def / 168 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Sleep Talk

EV Distribution is such that Milotic has a high amount of HP, and 360 SpD in stat count, Def is distributed such that it is 240 in stat count, multiplying up to 360 Def during Rest.
Milotic with the Rest and Marvel Scale, sleep talk is obvious enough. Scald for STAB, Ice beam, I'm not positive I should keep around...? Should be able cover the grass type weakness, so it'll be there for the meantime. Also nice to get free switch in damage on Togekiss, little as it may be. Also my go-to tank with Marvel Scale and Rest boosted defense and naturally, being the special tank it already is, yada yada..
(Edit: I've considered using Rotom-W thanks to all you guys' suggestions, but will leave Milotic around for anyone deciding to use this build)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

EV makes it so that it has lots of HP to spare, and Bold nature + high Def to serve it's purpose as the replacement to Ferrothorn. Increased it's speed a little to give it some edge in battle, can't have it being slower than everything if it's gonna use Volt Switch anyway.
So here's the new addition to the team. Bulky, and with two type weaknesses only, Rotom-W makes for a good emergency switch out mon with it's STAB Volt Switch. Will-O-Wisp to drop the opponent's attack and obviously nice DOT bonus. Pain Split to cover any annoying healers. Hydro Pump is a sweet high damaging attack with STAB.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 136 HP / 176 Def / 56 SpA / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind

Clefable's set to calm mind all the way up, it'll be in charge of potential Sp Att sweepers, asides from Milotic of course. It should be able to cover Gengar with enough Calm Minds, and Flamethrower gets rid of the annoying Ferrothorns, Magnezones, and should allow me to get a hit in on Metagross, regardless of being a Mega before it dies. Not positive if I need it still with Talonflame around...still a useful Fire SpA move to have, in any case.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

EV: Fast Physical Sweeper, as is Gengar's role in most teams.
With Gengar, I gain a fast/scarfed special sweeper able to cover dragon types with dazzling gleam(prior to this, Clefable covered them) Ghost types with Shadow Ball, Fairy types like Clefable(very annoying little suckers them) with Sludge Bomb(also to avoid high Sp Def mons walling me out, I went with Poison Jab, damage should be acceptable with STAB and x2 on Fairies that have gone power crazy with Calm Mind.), Thunderbolt for extra coverage, wasn't too certain about what to fill up the last move slot with. A pal tells me to use Focus Blast, but 70% accuracy...?

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Talonflame is the other go-to mon for priority moves with Brave Bird and Gale Wings. Flare Blitz and BB for STAB, protect's to avoid potential Bisharp Sucker Punch OHKO moments lol. Roost should take care of the recoil damage. As for EV distributions, Talonflame is meant to be a fast Physical Sweeper.

So is my team okay? I'm a bit worried about having no fast/scarfed special sweepers...opinions guys?

Last edited:
Can give more explanations for your EV spreads for your defensive and bulky mons? A lot of them seem almost random, which makes it hard to give good recommendations for changes.

As the team is, there's no real issue with not having a scarfer. Talonflame gives you a strong Priority move and Mega Beedrill is faster than almost the entire unboosted meta, so I don't think that's a huge issue.

One of the big things that I noticed is that your team is pretty much 5-0'd by SD Talonflame. If Milotic dies, you're in for a world of hurt, and it's really easy to wear down something that relies on Rest for its recovery. Thus, I would recommend finding a second Bird Spam check beyond just Milotic. I would also recommend replacing Milotic with Suicune. It does the same thing with noticeably more bulk.

Another thing your team absolutely needs is some form of hazard control. Right now you're carrying 2 mons who are both weak to Stealth Rock and tend to use hit-and-run tactics, which means if your opponent manages to set Stealth Rock you'll quickly find yourself in a position where you can't revenge kill any of your opponent's faster mons.

I'd give more recommendations, but without a greater understanding of why you picked certain mons, it's hard to give recommendations on what to change. For instance, I know you picked Ferrothorn for hazards, but did you pick it because there was something that hindered Mega Beedrill that you needed to be able to switch in to? What does Talonflame kill that might otherwise threaten your win condition? If you edit this kind of information into the descriptions, it will be easier to rate your team. If nothing else, it may help you identify oddballs on your team that you find less useful.

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pretty cool team you have here but I have a couple of suggestions: As mentioned, some of your sets are a little unusual so a little more explanation might be nice. Also little nitpick, take 4HP evs on Talon and put into Def/SpD. For Beedrill your set is pretty fine, personally I think I'd run Drill Run > Knock Off as Knock Off. (little rushed to can't go into much detail, just set changes)

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Shed Shell I feel benefits your team most and this set provides good mixed bulk, hazards etc.

Conkeldurr I recommend Ice Punch, Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Knock Off w/ AV as it is probably the most optimal set for it. Poison Jab is also an option but as you have Beedrill I don't think this is needed.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This > Milotic, benefits your team much more and just a better mon in general for OU. Set outspeeds 0 speed Lando-T and Jolly Azu rest into bulk

Clefable Moonblast > Dazzling Gleam
I'm not sure about those evs but you didn't give enough information about them so I'll just let you figure that out :/

Talonflame Swords Dance > Protect with a Sharp Beak or Choice Band with Tailwind > Protect and U-Turn > Roost.

Your team also has no spinner/defogger with a beedrill and talonflame. (quite rushed atm so forgive me if I didn't explain anything or recommend any better spinner/defogger)

+1 for Rotom-W over Milotic. It's on nearly every team for a reason, and with so many weaknesses to Bird Spam on this team you need something that can reliably check those top tier threats.

I feel like you need Defog/Spin support somewhere on this team. I'd consider a Trick+Scarf Latios over Conkeldur. You have two very strong physical attackers already, and Latios gives you a solid Rotom-W and Keldeo switch in. You gain a Scarfer, can cripple opposing walls/stall teams with Trick as well as Defog support for Beedrill and Talonflame.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Levitate
EVs : 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Lots of help and suggestions here, all appreciated guys! Right, as for the EV explanations, will get to editing them now, but I just wanted to inform everyone that I replaced Clefable with Gengar, Milotic with Rotom-W and Ferro with Latios.

Last edited:
Pretty cool team you have here but I have a couple of suggestions: As mentioned, some of your sets are a little unusual so a little more explanation might be nice. Also little nitpick, take 4HP evs on Talon and put into Def/SpD. For Beedrill your set is pretty fine, personally I think I'd run Drill Run > Knock Off as Knock Off. (little rushed to can't go into much detail, just set changes)

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Shed Shell I feel benefits your team most and this set provides good mixed bulk, hazards etc.

Conkeldurr I recommend Ice Punch, Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Knock Off w/ AV as it is probably the most optimal set for it. Poison Jab is also an option but as you have Beedrill I don't think this is needed.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This > Milotic, benefits your team much more and just a better mon in general for OU. Set outspeeds 0 speed Lando-T and Jolly Azu rest into bulk

Clefable Moonblast > Dazzling Gleam
I'm not sure about those evs but you didn't give enough information about them so I'll just let you figure that out :/

Talonflame Swords Dance > Protect with a Sharp Beak or Choice Band with Tailwind > Protect and U-Turn > Roost.

Your team also has no spinner/defogger with a beedrill and talonflame. (quite rushed atm so forgive me if I didn't explain anything or recommend any better spinner/defogger)
Thanks! But I've decided to stick with Earthquake and Stone Edge in the case I need to cover an electric type, steel type, or fire type. Knock Off is reserved for Mega Beedrill there I guess. Drill Run seems a little bit of a risk for a pokemon like Beedrill that absolutely cannot afford to miss a hit.

Use Focus Blast on Gengar. Without it, Ttar is going to Crunch poor Gengar to bits and Bisharp Pursuit it to oblivion.Swords Dance>Talon as Roost protects you from Sucker Punch anyway. If you use SD, Use 252 HP 252 Atk Adamant as BB will be your SPAM move and it has Priority anyway.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Change jolly on gengar to hasty or naive because jolly weakens your special attacking moves. And why poison jab over sludge bomb I'm guessing a mixed?

Last edited:
Hey man, nice team there. It's good to see that there are so many Mega Beedrill teams in the current metagame. I have a few suggestions for your here:

I would suggest Healing Wish > Roar over your Latios. Latios isn't really a phazer because it's role is to function as a special sweeper, not to phaze out Pokemon. Healing Wish can heal up your Mega Beedrill if its getting at low health, or other Pokemon, too. Also no need to run attack evs or a hasty nature - you don't run a physical attack anyway. (Actually I would use Latias over Latios with this set as it does it way better, that's up to you)

Furthermore, I'd suggest Assault Vest on your Conkeldurr. It gives it so much more bulk, helps it taking special attacks way better and can recover health back with Drain Punch. You can usually take a psychic from any psychic-type and KO it with Knock Off. You are free to switch into Will-o-Wisp's now, which will boost your Attack, or into any other status attack, which you couldn't with a Flame Orb - if you switch in when burned, it has no utility and you will only take damage. This way you can also run max HP helping to take phys attacks better.

Another one, I've figured out such a spread myself, idk if it works for you, but on Rotom-W I could recommend 248/206+ Def/54 Spe just to outspeed max Speed Adamant T-tar at +0 and burn it. Again, not sure if it works, but you could give it a try :P

Still, on Gengar, Sludge Wave > Poison Jab in my opinion because Gengar has a shitty attack stat and you won't be pulling off more damage anyway. It may only hits Fairies better, but in general Sludge Wave is way better.

252 SpA Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 126-150 (31.9 - 38%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Gengar Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Sylveon: 116-138 (29.4 - 35%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

As shown, even if somehow Sylveon gets to +2, Gengar's power with Sludge Wave is superior. It also hits Pokemon such as Charizard-Mega X and Zapdos waaaay harder, for example. (These Pokemon are just examples, it also hits resistant Pokemon such as Garchomp better or Pokemon weak to Poison such as Breloom better)

Lastly, I don't feel Talonflame does have a lot of need for Protect and Leftovers. Sure it helps with scouting, but it doesn't really provide much use outside of that aside from stalling a leftovers turn whose recovery is so minimal, so I think U-turn or something will do, especially when it helps to form VoltTurn core with Rotom-W. Also, Sharp Beak powers up Brave Bird, which can be useful too, you can Roost back damage anyway.

Also, small nitpick in general, make the IVs that do not run a physical attack 0. This lessens damage taken from Foul Play, and is useful in Latios (Latias) / Gengar's situation as they're weak to it.

Hope I helped!

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

Latias (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

(if you want to try the rotom spread)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 206 Def / 54 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- U-turn

[/hide

Soulblaster Latios doesn't learn Healing Wish, so he'd either have to switch to Latias or use something else such as Roost. Wasn't sure if that was your intent, but I thought I'd point it out.

For your Gengar, in addition to Soulblaster's suggestion, I'd drop Dazzling Gleam for Focus Blast. Fairy in general is a bad coverage type with few relevant targets. The only one that it would give you a better chance at is Mega Sableye, and even then you'll still lose to most variants, so you're better off not really trying to hit it. You also have Latios and Talonflame to deal with most Fighting types, so I think you'd be better off going for Focus Blast. Yes, the accuracy sucks, but the threat of it will still be able to force switches since opponents will almost always err on the side of caution.

As for Talonflame, Soulblaster's recommendation is good, but I thought I'd also mention that you can also run Swords Dance, which may help by doubling as a Wallbreaker. If you do decide to run SD, you'll want to change the EVs to 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe. Like I said though, both suggestions work, so I'd say go with whichever one works better for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)