XY OU Mega Blastoise Stepping up in OU

Hey guys, my first OU RMT, I have played with this team and laddered at 1400, it seems very balanced to me so i decided to see if anyone out there can give me some suggestions to make it better.

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish/ Mega Launcher
Ev: 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
-Water Pulse
-Dark Pulse
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam

Well heres the star of the team. Yes i know that Blastoise is one of the best rapid spinners because it beats most spin blockers with dark pulse, but i find 4 attacking moves works wonders for him since it gets him very good coverage coming off his base 405 SpA with 3 of the 4 getting the mega launcher boost. The Ev spread i use is for maximum bulk and maximum damage. Being quite slow, i decided to maximize on bulk with his 79/120/115 bulk. Water Pulse is used as a strong water stab with a chance to confuse. Aura sphere hits Ferrothorn hard on the switch, dark pulse for ghost types. Ice Beam doesn't get the mega launcher boost, but it hits dragons like Garchomp and Dragonite harder than dragon pulse with the mega launcher boost due to most of them being 4x week to ice. I am debating switching water pulse out for scald or hydro pump. Scald has the same power as water pulse with stab and can burn, while hydro pump is for raw power, but i am shaky about the accuracy.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Ev: 248 Hp / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Ivs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Protect

Ferrothorn has good synergy with Blastoise resisting both of his only weaknesses, grass and electric. The Ev spread is for maximum physical bulk and maximum damage with Gyro Ball. Gyro ball is so Ferrothorn has an attacking move, and can hit decently hard with it. Stealth Rock is for rocks, while Leech Seed and Protect with left overs gives him a good amount of recovery each turn. Leech Seed also helps if a pokemon stays in and i can go into Blastoise. It gives him some more health each turn since Blastoise lacks any form of recovery.

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Ev: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Thunder Punch
-U-Turn

Even with Infernape dropping to UU, I still find myself using it in OU. It completes a Fire-Water-Grass core. His 104 Attack stat isn't that fantastic but his attacking coverage is quite good. FB and CC are strong stabs with great neutral coverage. Thunder Punch with iron fist can do quite a bit of damage to water types on the switch. U-Turn is for scouting and keeping offensive momentum. I run a scarf for revenge killing while He still hits hard without a boosting item.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Ev: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Defog
-Healing Wish

Latias has good synergy with blastoise resisting both of his weaknesses, while keeping hazards off for the rest of my team. Draco Meteor and Psyshock are latias main stabs. Defog keeps hazards off the field. Healing wish seems like a weird move, but i use it when Latias is about to die to fully heal another team member back to full. I was in favor of roost, but latias is suppose to clear hazards and support my other pokemon and not so much itself.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Ev: 136 Hp / 168 SpA / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
-Hurricane
-Focus Blast
-U-Turn
-Knock Off

Tornadus works well for my team, as he is quite fast and packs quite a punch while countering Landorus-I with the Assault Vest, while having regenerator for recovery. The Ev spread gives it more bulk while the SpA Evs are for OHKO Mega Venasaur. The Speed is for out speeding Latias. Hurricane is his strong stab, while focus blast hits anything that resists hurricane. U-Turn is for pivoting and offensive momentum, while knock off is for getting rid of opposing pokemons items. Yes, i know timid lowers his attack, but Knock off and U-Turn are use as utility moves, not for damage, so i don't want to lower a defensive stat instead.

Sylveon (F) Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Ev: 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Hyper Voice
-Heal Bell
-Wish
-Protect

This little guy carries her weight on the team helping the rest of the team. The Ev is for maximum special bulk. Hyper Voice is to get passed subs so pokemon don't get them up. Heal bell is to get rid of status that would hurt my team otherwise. Wish is a necessity for wish passing to Blastoise and keeping his health up. Protect is for scouting and using the wish for Sylveon itself if she needs it.

Some things i find this team lacks is a set up sweeper for a late game clean up. I also don't have much status to spread. Im considering putting toxic on sylveon instead of protect, or thunder wave on ferrothorn, but lemme know what i can change :]

Import
Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- U-turn

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 136 HP / 168 SpA / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Last edited:
Hey Master B8s cool team! I have a few suggestions that I feel will really help your team.

Azumarill is EXTREMELY annoying to your team. It hard walls Mega Blastoise, can Superpower Ferrothorn, aqua jet on nape, and play rough the last three. I'd like to suggest Physically Defensive Celebi over Ferrothorn as it not only has access to Stealth Rock, but can also check Azumarills that lack Knock Off while also taking on Keldeo, Landorus, and Thundurus by virtue of its typing. It also has reliable recovery and can use Baton Pass to pivot out.

Sylveon isn't really necessary IMO, you have Healing Wish support in Latias and mons with defensive synergy with toise. Your team would love a way to handle stall better, and thus I recommend Calm Mind Clefable because it annoys stall quite a bit. I recommend Stored Power as you have plenty of ways to handle steels. This can also handle any Azumarill that isn't Belly Drum or Banded.

That's all I got! I don't want to change your team too much, but with these changes added I feel Tornadus-Therian is pretty replaceable. I'm not too certain on that, so test these changes out and see how it feels. Hope I helped :]

ps. an importable of the team would be nice

Thanks Azumarill i usually pay around with choice sets but yea belly jet sets give me trouble. Keldeo hasn't been a huge problem with AV Tornadus being able to survive anything it uses near full so i don't see tornadus leaving anytime soon but thanks i might try celebi :]

Thanks Azumarill i usually pay around with choice sets but yea belly jet sets give me trouble. Keldeo hasn't been a huge problem with AV Tornadus being able to survive anything it uses near full so i don't see tornadus leaving anytime soon but thanks i might try celebi :]
Shoot just realized I forgot to give sets lol here

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain/Psychic
- Recover

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled

Stored Power lets you muscle through Chansey, Mega Venusaur, and Heatran. EV spread on Clef lets it survive 2 LO ninja's hydros and a couple of other moves. Baton Pass is used on celeb to escape pursuit and it also can pivot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)