National Dex Mega Gallade PsySpam [500th Post]

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
ecd9d05a-7303-48c8-9c88-159b2d464df5_.png

:ss/Gallade-Mega: :ss/Tapu-Lele: :ss/Landorus-Therian: :ss/Melmetal: :ss/Rotom-Wash: :ss/Clefable:

Hello everyone, I'm Giyu! It's been a while since I've made an RMT and today I've decided to change it up a little bit. Unlike in the past, this RMT is for National Dex OU; a tier that I've had a lot of fun in and will continue to enjoy. I only noticed I was near the 500 message mark about a couple days ago and thought to myself how I could commemorate my time on Smogon, so without further ado... I present Mega Gallade PsySpam.

Email Header 600x100 px (2).png

:ss/Gallade-Mega: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball:

This team is solely built around Mega Gallade, as the name of the RMT indicates. I believe it's incredibly powerful and quite frankly difficult to shutdown if not prepared for. I played around with the move set and came to the conclusion that a Swords Dance set is most beneficial over the Bulk Up + Drain Punch set.

:Gallade-Mega: :ss/Tapu-Lele: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball:

A PsySpam team wouldn't be PsySpam without the notorious Psychic Terrain. Obviousy, Tapu Lele is the best Psychic Terrain setter and brings immense power to the table. After considering few sets such as Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Calm Mind, Taunt, etc. I ended up choosing the Assault Vest set. Considering it already boasts an amazing special attacking stat, I believed it would be beneficial to have a pivot for threats such as Ash Greninja and Volcarona.

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :ss/Landorus-Therian: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball:

Now that I have the initial PsySpam core, I wanted to have some speed control as well as an Electric-immunity. Landorus-T was the obvious choice here as it brings even more offensive pressure and helps with Pokemon like Kartana and Tyranitar. This Landorus-T used to have a bulky Swords Dance set with Flyinium Z but Choice Scarf was better in the long run.

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :Landorus-Therian: :ss/Melmetal: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball:

Due to the glaring Grass-type weakness, I've decided to bring Melmetal which effectively deals with Serperior, Kartana, and Rillaboom. I used to have Ferrothorn here but it becomes setup fodder for Subsitute Serperior. Melmetal also adds on to the breaking power of the team.

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :Landorus-Therian: :Melmetal: :ss/Rotom-Wash: :Cherish Ball:

Rotom-W is a favorite of mine due to how much it helps against rain and Swords Dance Gliscor sets. Rotom-W also has a nice Fire-type resistance for Melmetal and supports the team against offensive Heatran and at times, Mega Charizard Y. Rotom-W had a Choice Scarf set but it was underwhelming at times and I decided Landorus-T was better speed control.

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :Landorus-Therian: :Melmetal: :Rotom-Wash: :ss/Clefable:

The need of Stealth Rock and a Weavile check ultimately forced me to use Clefable here. It's got a really versatile move pool making it hard to predict the set. Clefable also acts as a cleric for Mega Gallade when it gets low on HP or is burned.

Email Header 600x100 px (3).png

:ss/Gallade-Mega: :Galladite:

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off / Triple Axel / Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

I think Mega Gallade has a set move pool that's basically unchangeable other than maybe a Bulk Up set that loses to Corviknight, Close Combat and Zen Headbutt are Mega Gallade's most powerful STAB moves and Zen Headbutt gets powered up even further with Psychic Terrain. The third move is quite interchangeable but Knock Off is usually the best. Triple Axel is good for hitting Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mega Latias/Latios, and dealing more damage to Tapu Lele but makes Gallade prone to Slowbro. Shadow Sneak gives Gallade priority but it's bothered by Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge and doesn't hit anything in specific.

:ss/Tapu-Lele: :Assault Vest:
Tapu Lele @ Assault Vest
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 80 HP / 212 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

Assault Vest Tapu Lele is extremely beneficial alongside Mega Gallade as it heavily threaten switch ins with Future Sight. Like said before, Future Sight hits Mega Gallade switch ins really hard and makes pivoting for the opponent a lot more difficult. Moonlast is basic STAB and Psyshock hits Blissey and other specially defensive walls. Focus Blast 2HKOs Heatran and hits other Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Corviknight. Hidden Power Fire is also an option here for Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn but being walled by Heatran is not preffered. EV spread outspeeds Timid Heatran and helps with Chansey.

:ss/Landorus-Therian: :Choice Scarf:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Punishment / Knock Off

It's a pretty basic Landorus-T set, Earthquake for STAB and Stone Edge to hit Flying-types such as Zapdos and Pelipper. U-turn hits Grass-types that resist Ground-types and makes Landorus a deadly pivot. Punishment allows Landorus to revenge kill Mega Latias and other setup sweepers. Knock Off is good here too but makes the team prone to the Lati@s twins. EV spread outspeeds Arctozolt in hail.

:ss/Melmetal: :Assault Vest:
Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Another standard set, Double Iron Bash beats the crap out of Substitute abusers. Earthquake hits Heatran, Toxapex, and other Fire-types. Thunder Punch targets Water-types like Pelipper, Slowbro, and Steel-/Flying-types such as Corviknight, Ice Punch is primarily for Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Garchomp but can be useful to fish for freezes on things like Kartana. EV spread outspeeds Toxapex.

:ss/Rotom-Wash: :Leftovers:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 160 SpD / 92 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are STABs, great for pivoting and abusing rain teams. Will-O-Wisp primarily cripples Garchomp, Melmetal, and Mega Swampert. Pain Split is good recovery and chips down walls, especially Blissey and Chansey who have a really high HP. Thunder Wave is nice to cripple things like Charizard Mega Y and Mega Lopunny. EV spread outpaces Crawdaunt and lives some calcs from Greninja, Volcarona, and Heatran.

:ss/Clefable: :Rocky Helmet:
Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

Moonblast hits Weavile and Mega Lopunny. Soft-Boiled is reliable recovery and Healing Wish preserves Mega Gallade, Melmetal, and Landorus-T who are prone to getting burned. Stealth Rock helps the wallbreakers and just makes pivoting harder with Future Sight existence. EV spread survives something, I don't really remember but I'm sure it's relevant.

Email Header 600x100 px (4).png

:ss/Serperior:

Due to how easily Melmetal can be chipped down, Serperior sweeps really easily but it's manageable as long as it's weak enough for Landorus-T to OHKO.

:ss/Tapu-Lele:

Again, really hard to stop once Melmetal is weakened and due to Focus Blast existing it's not the easiest switch in.

:ss/Swampert-Mega:

Despite having Rotom-Wash, Swampert can overwhelm it by pivoting with Flip Turn and Ferrothorn makes it hard to Hydro Pump freely.

Email Header 600x100 px (5).png

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :Landorus-Therian: :Melmetal: :Rotom-Wash: :Clefable:

Last edited:

Giyu

Hey bestie.

Major Changes

:melmetal: -> :ferrothorn:

Double AV is kind of redundant, and I think Tapu Lele fits better with Gallade overall (good choice in AV there) so Melm goes. Ferro is a good replacement, works amazingly with Rotom-W with your rain matchup and is reliable against opponents such as Greninja, Tapu Koko and takes a Focus Blast better than Melmetal, being able to recover from it and lock Lele in allowing yourself to switch.

Minor Changes

:landorus-therian:

Changed Punishment to Defog although because of Serp MU, I think it can stay. Punishment in 2022 just generally isn't great.

:clefable:

Changed from Utility to Calm Mind. I think Calm Mind gives you some longevity against the special threats like Tapu Lele and Koko, as it forces them to click Psyshock and Thunderbolt which you can switch out against and predict, giving you the upper hand, or keep setting up depending upon the number of boosts. Alongside Gallade, it works as a great breaker.

Final Paste - https://pokepast.es/3b42ac417971a8e6
With Clefable being Calm Mind now, would I replace Spikes with Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn for efficiency?

Does 12 HP on Landog do anything? Cause if not you may want to go full to tie mirrors idk. If mirrors are even a real thing that is, it looks like you're just doing to +1 90s which should be fine...

Does 12 HP on Landog do anything
It actually hurts it, as it makes Lando's hp an even number, so stealth rocks chip is going to do more. Lando doesn't have leftovers, so one doesn't need to make sure it's an even number to get more HP back every turn. However, it is just a small chip, and it's not like it's Mega Charizard Y, taking 50% everytime it switches in, so it's not that big of a deal. However, you could move the 12 evs to defense or spdef, which could be better.

And in the case of a lando mirror, you WANT to be slower, as you want to u-turn on the opposing lando's switch-in and get momentum on the opponent, as both of them can't really do much to each other.

Giyu

Does 12 HP on Landog do anything? Cause if not you may want to go full to tie mirrors idk. If mirrors are even a real thing that is, it looks like you're just doing to +1 90s which should be fine...
244 Speed allows it to outspeed Arctozolt in Hail, 12 HP is just a dump.

Dead by Daylight

facing the music
is a Pre-Contributor
View attachment 447673
:ss/Gallade-Mega: :ss/Tapu-Lele: :ss/Landorus-Therian: :ss/Melmetal: :ss/Rotom-Wash: :ss/Clefable:

Hello everyone, I'm Giyu! It's been a while since I've made an RMT and today I've decided to change it up a little bit. Unlike in the past, this RMT is for National Dex OU; a tier that I've had a lot of fun in and will continue to enjoy. I only noticed I was near the 500 message mark about a couple days ago and thought to myself how I could commemorate my time on Smogon, so without further ado... I present Mega Gallade PsySpam.

View attachment 447681
:ss/Gallade-Mega: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball:

This team is solely built around Mega Gallade, as the name of the RMT indicates. I believe it's incredibly powerful and quite frankly difficult to shutdown if not prepared for. I played around with the move set and came to the conclusion that a Swords Dance set is most beneficial over the Bulk Up + Drain Punch set.

:Gallade-Mega: :ss/Tapu-Lele: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball:

A PsySpam team wouldn't be PsySpam without the notorious Psychic Terrain. Obviousy, Tapu Lele is the best Psychic Terrain setter and brings immense power to the table. After considering few sets such as Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Calm Mind, Taunt, etc. I ended up choosing the Assault Vest set. Considering it already boasts an amazing special attacking stat, I believed it would be beneficial to have a pivot for threats such as Ash Greninja and Volcarona.

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :ss/Landorus-Therian: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball:

Now that I have the initial PsySpam core, I wanted to have some speed control as well as an Electric-immunity. Landorus-T was the obvious choice here as it brings even more offensive pressure and helps with Pokemon like Kartana and Tyranitar. This Landorus-T used to have a bulky Swords Dance set with Flyinium Z but Choice Scarf was better in the long run.

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :Landorus-Therian: :ss/Melmetal: :Cherish Ball: :Cherish Ball:

Due to the glaring Grass-type weakness, I've decided to bring Melmetal which effectively deals with Serperior, Kartana, and Rillaboom. I used to have Ferrothorn here but it becomes setup fodder for Subsitute Serperior. Melmetal also adds on to the breaking power of the team.

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :Landorus-Therian: :Melmetal: :ss/Rotom-Wash: :Cherish Ball:

Rotom-W is a favorite of mine due to how much it helps against rain and Swords Dance Gliscor sets. Rotom-W also has a nice Fire-type resistance for Melmetal and supports the team against offensive Heatran and at times, Mega Charizard Y. Rotom-W had a Choice Scarf set but it was underwhelming at times and I decided Landorus-T was better speed control.

:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :Landorus-Therian: :Melmetal: :Rotom-Wash: :ss/Clefable:

The need of Stealth Rock and a Weavile check ultimately forced me to use Clefable here. It's got a really versatile move pool making it hard to predict the set. Clefable also acts as a cleric for Mega Gallade when it gets low on HP or is burned.

View attachment 447683
:ss/Gallade-Mega: :Galladite:

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off / Triple Axel / Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

I think Mega Gallade has a set move pool that's basically unchangeable other than maybe a Bulk Up set that loses to Corviknight, Close Combat and Zen Headbutt are Mega Gallade's most powerful STAB moves and Zen Headbutt gets powered up even further with Psychic Terrain. The third move is quite interchangeable but Knock Off is usually the best. Triple Axel is good for hitting Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mega Latias/Latios, and dealing more damage to Tapu Lele but makes Gallade prone to Slowbro. Shadow Sneak gives Gallade priority but it's bothered by Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge and doesn't hit anything in specific.

:ss/Tapu-Lele: :Assault Vest:
Tapu Lele @ Assault Vest
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 80 HP / 212 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

Assault Vest Tapu Lele is extremely beneficial alongside Mega Gallade as it heavily threaten switch ins with Future Sight. Like said before, Future Sight hits Mega Gallade switch ins really hard and makes pivoting for the opponent a lot more difficult. Moonlast is basic STAB and Psyshock hits Blissey and other specially defensive walls. Focus Blast 2HKOs Heatran and hits other Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Corviknight. Hidden Power Fire is also an option here for Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn but being walled by Heatran is not preffered. EV spread outspeeds Timid Heatran and helps with Chansey.

:ss/Landorus-Therian: :Choice Scarf:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Punishment / Knock Off

It's a pretty basic Landorus-T set, Earthquake for STAB and Stone Edge to hit Flying-types such as Zapdos and Pelipper. U-turn hits Grass-types that resist Ground-types and makes Landorus a deadly pivot. Punishment allows Landorus to revenge kill Mega Latias and other setup sweepers. Knock Off is good here too but makes the team prone to the Lati@s twins. EV spread outspeeds Arctozolt in hail.

:ss/Melmetal: :Assault Vest:
Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Another standard set, Double Iron Bash beats the crap out of Substitute abusers. Earthquake hits Heatran, Toxapex, and other Fire-types. Thunder Punch targets Water-types like Pelipper, Slowbro, and Steel-/Flying-types such as Corviknight, Ice Punch is primarily for Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Garchomp but can be useful to fish for freezes on things like Kartana. EV spread outspeeds Toxapex.

:ss/Rotom-Wash: :Leftovers:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 160 SpD / 92 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are STABs, great for pivoting and abusing rain teams. Will-O-Wisp primarily cripples Garchomp, Melmetal, and Mega Swampert. Pain Split is good recovery and chips down walls, especially Blissey and Chansey who have a really high HP. Thunder Wave is nice to cripple things like Charizard Mega Y and Mega Lopunny. EV spread outpaces Crawdaunt and lives some calcs from Greninja, Volcarona, and Heatran.

:ss/Clefable: :Rocky Helmet:
Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

Moonblast hits Weavile and Mega Lopunny. Soft-Boiled is reliable recovery and Healing Wish preserves Mega Gallade, Melmetal, and Landorus-T who are prone to getting burned. Stealth Rock helps the wallbreakers and just makes pivoting harder with Future Sight existence. EV spread survives something, I don't really remember but I'm sure it's relevant.

View attachment 447687
:ss/Serperior:

Due to how easily Melmetal can be chipped down, Serperior sweeps really easily but it's manageable as long as it's weak enough for Landorus-T to OHKO.

:ss/Tapu-Lele:

Again, really hard to stop once Melmetal is weakened and due to Focus Blast existing it's not the easiest switch in.

:ss/Swampert-Mega:

Despite having Rotom-Wash, Swampert can overwhelm it by pivoting with Flip Turn and Ferrothorn makes it hard to Hydro Pump freely.

View attachment 447689
:Gallade-Mega: :Tapu-Lele: :Landorus-Therian: :Melmetal: :Rotom-Wash: :Clefable:
Same idea, much different concept. Happy 500th post, and I hope to play you in Monotype!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)