National Dex Mega-Less Screen HO

:grimmsnarl:-:iron-valiant:-:reuniclus:-:nihilego:-:gyarados:-:ogerpon-wellspring:

Hello There, today I make this RMT because that team rlly is strong and I wanted to make it better.

So, in this RMT i'll Have:
  1. Pokémon Explanation
  2. Teambuilding process
  3. Weaknesses and Strengths so far
  4. Questions
1.The non-paid actors

:sv/grimmsnarl:
Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay :light-clay:
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Parting Shot
- Play Rough

Grimmsnarl is, as you Have probably already guessed, the setup sweeper Screen setter.
Because Dark types are the Most annoying for the end game, you can surprise one by play roughing it t1/2 to neutralize it before it can do anything. Otherwise, pretty classic set. An issue is that No taunt means that Hazard can be setted, but Even of you had taunt they'd Just be set a bit later so whatever.

:sv/iron-valiant:
Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy :booster-energy:
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Encore

This team slot is the Most indecise of the team. I originally had Urshifu-R:urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax:, then blaziken:blaziken:, then opted for valiant to Have speed control While having a v Good matchup V Dark types. I wonder if Mdiancie :diancie-mega: would be a good pick, or if I should try some SD+trailblaze Urshifu-R:urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax: like in the good ol days. SD+Encore Ival can get sweeps, as long as No Fairy is left on the opposing side, or At least No bulky fairy. :clefable::tapu-fini:

:sv/reuniclus:
Reuniclus @ Mental Herb :mental-herb:
Ability: Magic Guard
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Acid Armor
This, guys, is the Most underrated mon in the tier. Most of its weaknesses hit physical so I Go max def, and so i can get calm mind easely Once i acid armored once. Mental herb because when oppo realizes im setting up they often Encore me, and leftovers weren't that useful anyways. Best counter to garganacl, Best status absorber, but HATES dark types. MU can be tough into cm+agility Iron crown, but anything else that isn't dark dies painfully. When you meet a dark, or you switch out or, more risked (crits) you PP stall.

:sv/nihilego:
Nihilego @ Power Herb:power-herb:
Ability: Beast Boost
Hidden Power: Fire
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Nihilego is a pretty strong rock sweeper that Really benefits From tera. dazzling gleam is to kill dark Even more coz they are like the only thing preventing to free reuniclus :reuniclus: sweep. Hpf and Not Ground coz gyro ball ferro:ferrothorn: is more problematic than magma storm heatran:heatran:, especially with screens. Sludge Wave Also helps to kick out fairies for Ival:iron-valiant:'s sake. it's Also v bulky on the special side to switch in on some stuff, especially defensive stuff when behind screens.

:sv/gyarados:
Gyarados @ Flyinium Z :flyinium-z:
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Gyarados's presence in the team makes everyone automatically think it's a mega, it's the mega. Originally, it was the mega:gyarados-mega:, with a DD+sub set, but lacked sweeping abilities, At least compared to the rest of the team, and compared to that UUBL Flyinium Z set. It's indeed easy to get moxie boost with a 160 power STAB. Also, its checks arent the same as gyarados mega's, so killing Tera fairy Alomomola:alomomola: with dat Z is nice. I have No doubt abt this one. While Not stallbreaking, it is breaking enough imo.

:sv/ogerpon-wellspring:
gerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask :wellspring-mask:
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
Sub Waterpon is a great sweeper. Sub on the numerous stuff that can't do shit to you (pex:toxapex:, mola:Alomomola:, clod:clodsire:, glisc:gliscor:, choice locked surging strikes urshifu-R:urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax:, etc) and use SD. You win a whole damn more Duels. Horn leech's recovery let's you get Even more subs, but Note that you are terrible against Raging bolt:raging-bolt:.

2. Teambuilding Process

:grimmsnarl:
I started with the Idea of building stall Screen HO. The Best Screen setter being grimmsnarl (outside of eterrain Screen:tapu-koko:), it was The first member of The team.

:grimmsnarl:-:iron-valiant:
The second slot is to destroy dark types as much as possible, so i chose valiant. I needed speed control, so It was a booster set. Because Glowking:slowking-galar: is so damn common I chose a SD+Encore set. Deceived me a bit ngl, but can Still get a free kill on Glowking:slowking-galar:, which is nice for nihilego:nihilego:. The fact that +2 cc doesnt OHKO Msciz:scizor-mega: sucks a whole lot, but Msciz:scizor-mega: always had a Good MU on fairies so We Cant blame it.

:grimmsnarl:-:iron-valiant:-:reuniclus:
I needed a stallbreaking sweeper and Nothing like Magic guard Stored power reuniclus to do it. I chose this over sth else coz Msab:sableye-mega: is Not used that much in stall anymore, shoutout to All The fairies in The tier for this bliss. Because I was sick of waiting 4 turns before sweeping when oppo had encore, I Just slapped Mental herb:mental-herb: here coz anything that isn't eviolite is somehow usable on this green and kinda ugly cell mass.

:grimmsnarl:-:iron-valiant:-:reuniclus:-:nihilego:
I then added Nihilego to have a Really nice surprise-in-fact-I-have-dazzling-gleam Pokémon, as Well as a potent wallbreaker-into-sweeper. Hpfire over hpground coz anw you dont OS heatran:heatran: and doing 23% to spdef ferro is not nice when It can OS back with gyro ball.

:grimmsnarl:-:iron-valiant:-:reuniclus:-:nihilego:-:gyarados:
So anyways I added Yet another setup sweeper coz It was Kinda Nice to have sth to kick out stuff before The late game sweepers entered the game. In fact, it's probably the one I send first the more often, due to immediate Z-move power. It Really becomes useful when you are facing the defensive staple of the opponent (Nah I dont know What defensive staple means but i guess It must be the base/strongest element of the defensive profile of a team). Additionally, bounce+waterfall can easily become paraflinch and get you outta some cheesy matchups.

:grimmsnarl:-:iron-valiant:-:reuniclus:-:nihilego:-:gyarados:-:ogerpon-wellspring:
I then added Ogerpon-w to have some kinda bulky/defensive abilities In the team While Still being a respectable sweeper. Its ability to come In on Critmaster urshifu-R:urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax:, Who ignores screens, is great In the team, and Its speed tier is a Very good one.

3. Weaknesses and Strengths so far
Weaknesses:
  • Hazard stack. I do Not run any hazard removal, so hstack can become silly when you face it
  • CM + dragonium Z Raging Bolt:raging bolt:. It surprised reuniclus:reuniclus:, only At +1, with a +2 Devastating drake:dragonium-z:. Nihilego:nihilego: and Ival:iron-valiant: being already down, bro swept away the whole team.
  • Teams that pivot a lot and have a dark type. They silly. They beat reuniclus, AND i dont run Hazards to pp stall em.
Strengths:
  • TR teams. Reuniclus is incredibly slow and gets to acid armor before Ursaluna kills It, and Except if the TR plays Mcame and gets a crit Eruption, It's almost a free win.
  • Teams that dont feature a dark type and that dont hit hard enough to OHKO reuni with a crit.
  • Teams that feature a dark type but are Too slow to outspeed In any way +1 spe gyarados neutral nature.
  • Teams that can't outspeed a Nihilego (go back to builder and get you a 110+ speed mon) and It, AFAIK, includes stall.
4. Questions
This is a Rate My Team so I have direct questions to raters:
  • what to replace Ival with? It's the Most unsure team slot and Mdian looks good at that spot to me.
  • Do I run hazards? i've seen some SR+screens+memento Uxie sets before, and to securely enter a mon in, They loom alright.
  • Should I run a Defog punisher? In the elo where Im stuck at (1550-1600) many people go defog to remove screens. Would It be wise to run a defog-punisher (serperior, defiant sth, etc)
I'll Add that I have Nothing wrong with having a Méga In the team, It's Just An useless fact abt the team (unless you consider It means you can slap a mega In here for free)

So that'll be my RMT!

Last edited:

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hey there, you've got the basis for a really good team here! I'll tackle the questions you posed.

• what to replace Ival with? It's the Most unsure team slot and Mdian looks good at that spot to me.
  • Do I run hazards? i've seen some SR+screens+memento Uxie sets before, and to securely enter a mon in, They loom alright.
  • Should I run a Defog punisher? In the elo where Im stuck at (1550-1600) many people go defog to remove screens. Would It be wise to run a defog-punisher (serperior, defiant sth, etc)
The Iron Valiant Dilemma
I'd say replace SD Valiant with Bulk Up Great Tusk. BU Tusk is incredibly difficult to take down, and it can run away with games after just a few boosts. While I-Val is a decent choice, BU Tusk can more effectively take attacks under screens thanks to its much higher bulk.

Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Poison / Steel
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush / Rapid Spin
- Ice Spinner

This is the set I'd use.

The Legos On The Field
As for hazards, I don't think this team needs them. The point of a screens team is to demolish the opponent quickly, and honestly you may as well welcome them setting hazards as that's a free turn that can spiral. You also don't need hazards because while the chip is nice, every turn you spend setting hazards is a turn of screens that slips away like sand to the tide.

Defog Deterrence
I'd say this is also an unnecessary addition; good screens teams are very potent at either stopping the opponent from removing Screens or can win the game off of one turn. This team doesn't really do either, but I prefer the drop-of-a-hat teams. The following are preference changes:

Reuniclus --> Demon Crown
Iron Crown @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Tachyon Cutter / Tera Blast

This set ensures that you can set up rather easily on a lot of the metagame, while taking maximum advantage of screens to wreak havoc. It also provides a nifty Fairy resistance that doesn't crumple to a light breeze (cough, Nihilego) while taking care of Fairies for Tusk.

Now that Nihilego isn't needed, we can replace it with anything you'd like, really. You can also consolidate Waterpon and Gyarados into one slot as both take care of Watershifu very well, giving you another free slot.

I've built a Mega-less Screens team before (this was my attempt), and while it may not be to your taste, it can certainly provide ideas. The team as I would suggest it to be would look like this:

Ogerpon-W Version: https://pokepast.es/38e97d5ea638de1d
Gyarados Version: https://pokepast.es/621c252c8ae74196

Feel free to change the last two slots as you wish. Good luck with this team!

Miyoko

Nature lover
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
Hi! I like ur team but making a few changes can make it work better. Also, try providing some replays along with RMT posts but i like ur RMT post and u have pretty much followed the guidelines which is good.

1) Try replacing :gyarados: with :gyarados-mega:
Well, this change might seem a minor one but it can bring a major success to ur team. Few reasons are there behind this.
  • Mega Gyarados has mold breaker which means it damages Water Absorb clodsire :clodsire: and also avoids Levitate from Rotom-wash :rotom-wash: which means u can eq it
  • The main reason is that HO teams are always weak to stall and substitute Mega Gyara beats stall. It avoids unaware from Dondozo, Clodsire, Clefable and skelidirge which is very useful for HO teams and ur team seems weak to Dondozo so u can beat dozo with this
My suggested set is
:sv/gyarados-mega: :gyaradosite:
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute / Earthquake / Power Whip
Power whip counters Dondozo :dondozo:
Mold Breaker beats Rotom wash :rotom-wash:
Substitute beats stall and Wil-o-wisp / any status :moltres:

2) Try Special Attacking :iron valiant:
Special Attacking Iron Val can help u a lot since u already have many physcial attackers already
:sv/iron valiant: :booster energy:
Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute / Encore
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
This set is probably better if u ask me although u become weak to Mega Scizor then but I would suggest u using this. From my experience I can confirm u that iron val puts in a lot of work and tera ghost sub walls chansey :chansey: and blissey :blissey: since they cant touch u at all. You can test it how it works.

3) Replace :reuniclus: with :dragonite:
If u follow the Change 2 u changed a Physical attacker into a special Attacker. Basically, here we change a Special Attacker into a Physical Attacker. Here, I suggest u using Dragonite which is a much better pokemon to sweep with. It has multiscale and what more do u even want to be bulky.
My suggested sets are
set 1
:sv/dragonite: :dragonium z:
Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
set 2
:sv/dragonite: :Heavy-duty-boots:
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Normal
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Roost / Ice Spinner / Fire Punch
set 3
:sv/dragonite: :Heavy-duty-boots:
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Roost

Else the team looks good. Now, Lets come to your questions and lemme give u solutions of ur questions. IT'S QNA TIME!

4. Questions
This is a Rate My Team so I have direct questions to raters:
1) What do I replace iron valiant with ?
Ans
- You dont need to replace iron valiant, u can use it in a better way instead. Try using it as a Special Attacker. That would be better
:sv/iron valiant: :booster energy:
Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute / Encore
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
This set is probably better if u ask me although u become weak to Mega Scizor then but I would suggest u using this. From my experience I can confirm u that iron val puts in a lot of work and tera ghost sub walls chansey :chansey: and blissey :blissey: since they cant touch u at all. You can test it how it works.
Other alternative options can be
:sv/ceruledge: :ghostium z: / :focus sash:
Ceruledge @ Ghostium Z / Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poltergeist
- Shadow Sneak
- Bitter Blade
Ceruledge works well in HO teams and u can try it out as well. I like using this mon a lot as its just unkillable with bitter blade recoveries and also walla Mega Scizor :scizor-mega: very nicely. So u can give it a try
:sv/scizor-mega: :scizorite:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Dual Wingbeat
U can use ur own sciz as well. This mon is very useful in HO teams with set up + technician boosted Bullet Punch which is able to kill basically everything that comes in the way.

2) Do I run hazards ?
Ans
- Of course u can. I suggest u to run Landorus-therian as a stealth rock set up in HO teams instead of getting up screens. Lando can run taunt to punish defog, it has explosion and also can set up rocks. U can also use set up sweeper lando but i dont think that would work well. However, lead suicide lando is good for HO teams. Also u can try out glimmora which can remove hazards as well as set up its own one.
:sv/landorus-therian: :focus sash: / :normal gem:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash / Normal Gem
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Ghost / Normal
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Explosion
:sv/glimmora: :focus sash:
Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Mortal Spin
- Power Gem
- Energy Ball / Earth Power
My suggested sets are this one

3) Should I run a Defog punisher ?
Ans -
The most viable one would be Serperior :serperior: but i dont think u need any defog punnishers cuz u can use 1 turn to set up freely and sweep. I would always suggest u to use no hazard control or defog / hazard in HO teams. Whatever needs to be done must be done by the lead mon itself. But alternative options can be Taunt. Except these I dont see anything else being super viable.
:sv/serperior: :leftovers:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Hidden Power: Fire
Tera Type: Ground / Rock
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
- Tera Blast
My suggested set is this one

Overall I think the team is good and without mega also it can work well but keeping a mega would make it more viable and better cuz megas r always stronger than regular pokemons, thats what makes them special. I hope u will understand whatever i tried to mean here and if u have any doubt then feel free to tag me. Thank you!
:sv/mew: Bye :sv/mew:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)