Mega Mawile RMT

This is my first good OU team for this generation, and I'd like to detail how it works in hopes that you lovely people can make it even better. As you can tell by this team's name, it's centered around Mega Mawile, one of the most powerful physical attackers in the entire game. Without further ado, here's the team.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Well, here it is. One of the most destructive Megas of all. With Huge Power, Mawile hits an attack stat that puts many legendary Pokemon to shame, and has the right moves to use it. Sucker Punch is especially helpful because it mitigates Mawile's poor speed, which is one of its only downfalls. I figured that it'd be best to run a Swords Dance set to maximize power, but when I was running Iron Head / Play Rough / Sucker Punch, I found myself getting statused very often. The solution to this problem was Substitute, which allowed Mawile to not give a damn about status and eased prediction on my part. Once Mawile has a Substitute and a Swords Dance up, you're guaranteed to kill 2 or 3 of the opponent's Pokemon.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

In order to somewhat alleviate Mawile's bad speed stat, I needed a paralysis spreader to slow other Pokemon down without relying on Trick Room. I selected Thundurus because of his access to not only Thunder Wave, but also Taunt, allowing him to function as a great anti-lead, outspeeding Klefki, Sableye, and other common hazard setters or status spreaders. Once vital members of a team are paralyzed and taunted, I can start KOing them and paving the way for a Mawile sweep.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Roost

I originally brought Latios onto this team as a Defogger whose typing complemented Mawile's rather nicely. I realized that I preferred another hazard remover over Defog Latios (you'll see that later), but I kept him on the team as a powerful, fast special cleaner. In clutch situations, it's really easy to send Latios in and spam Draco Meteor with impunity. Psyshock is also a rather cool move to have, helping greatly against a number of Fighting types and Mega Venusaur.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Here, we have the actual hazard remover. At this point in the metagame, I consider Excadrill to be the ideal rapid spinner, and it only gets better with Assault Vest, allowing him to take hits from the likes of Rotom-Wash while still performing his job of getting rid of hazards. Speaking of Rotom-Wash, Excadrill is the only Ground-Type capable of unleashing Earthquake on the laundry machine thanks to Mold Breaker. Iron Head is a must as well, making Excadrill instrumental in the punishment of Fairy-types like Togekiss.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Since I had already placed a reliable Rapid Spinner on my team, I decided to use one of the most prolific Stealth Rock-handicapped Pokemon in the tier: Volcarona. I had already used Volcarona in the BW metagame to great effect, and this set remains virtually unchanged from that era. The goal of the set is fairly simple: Set up Quiver Dance a couple of times and spam your moves with impunity. Volcarona is a much more reliable sweeper than Mawile in some circumstances, so it's necessary to have around when Mawile goes down.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Finally, there's Sylveon. My team is very weak to status. Thunder Wave cripples Latios and Volcarona. Will-O-Wisp neuters Excadrill and Mawile. Toxic annoys everything besides the latter two. I decided that I needed something to remove status, and I chose Sylveon, a very strong special wall that can also pass Wishes to weakened Pokemon, something which can be a bit clumsy in execution but is handy when it finally works. Hyper Voice is a very strong move in conjunction with Pixilate, and helps greatly against Dragons and other Pokemon.

So that's it for my team. Tell me what you guys think!

Considering running Fire Fang over Swords Dance on Mawile. Your current set gets absolutely walled by Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress. Mega Mawile still hits hard without a Swords Dance, and Fire Fang adds much needed coverage. Other than that solid team and the only thing I would suggest would be possibly running Toxic on Sylveon as your team is weak to physical attacks and Toxic allows you to stall them to death simply by switching and/or spamming Protect.

Considering running Fire Fang over Swords Dance on Mawile. Your current set gets absolutely walled by Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress. Mega Mawile still hits hard without a Swords Dance, and Fire Fang adds much needed coverage. Other than that solid team and the only thing I would suggest would be possibly running Toxic on Sylveon as your team is weak to physical attacks and Toxic allows you to stall them to death simply by switching and/or spamming Protect.
I'll test out Fire Fang at your suggestion, thanks for that.

On the other hand, what move should I get rid of on Sylveon to replace with Toxic?

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Yeah, I noticed that, and that was mentioned by other people posting on this thread. I've already gotten some suggestions as to how to improve my team on that front, but do you have any ideas?
Say, you changed Latios to Bulky Defog Latias, you could remove excadrill for something more Physically bulky, as Latias has great bulky while still maintaining good offensive pressure.
Ferrothorn? I dunno.

Tests will have to be made, I guess

I'll test out Fire Fang at your suggestion, thanks for that.

On the other hand, what move should I get rid of on Sylveon to replace with Toxic?
Heal Bell IMHO. Heal Bell is a great move but your team has a few status absorbers. You could potentially replace Hyper Voice but then you become 100% Taunt Bait. I would just test it and see what works best :]

Hey man nice team Mawile is a really cool mon. My biggest concern with this team is how easily Heatran is coming and stopping both Mawile and Volcarona. Most Heatran are running a specially defensive set of Lava Plume, Roar, Will-o-Wisp, and then Taunt or Stealth Rock, or Protect. Assuming Mawile sets up a sub as Heatran comes in, the most it can do is hit it with an unboosted, unSTABed Sucker Punch, which Heatran is pretty good at recovering from. The rest of your team isn't that well equipped to handle Heatran either. Excadrill and Latios are your only ways of reliably KOing Heatran, and even though Sylveon has Heal Bell, it will generally run out of PP long before Heatran finishes tossing around WoW and Lava Plumes. A nifty way of helping this problem would be changing Mawile's set around to better facilitate its own sweep as well as Volcarona's. You can run Focus Punch on Mawile as a way to OHKO an incoming Heatran. It takes a little prediction, but it's not too hard to use, and the payoff is way worth it. There's two ways to go about putting Focus Punch on Mawile. The first is to replace Substitute with Focus Punch, and retain Swords Dance. The second option is to replace Swords Dance with Focus Punch and run a substitute wall breaking set. I personally would choose the second option. I feel that Mawile's low speed and difficulties coming in repeatedly throughout the course of a match lend it towards the sub punching set. The neatest part of this change is that with Heatran lured in and eliminated, Volcarona can usually sweep unhindered.

I think HP Rock > HP Ice on Volcarona is also a good idea simply due to the amount of Charizard out there. Most of the thing HP Ice covers would be taken care of by HP Rock and Bug Buzz, which is pretty powerful coming from a +1 Life Orb Modest Volcarona. I'm also not a fan of Sylveon on this team as it seems to slow you down a lot for the sake of an occasional Wish passed or Heal Bell. I recommend something with Stealth Rock, because Charizard and Talonflame are able to come in far to often and spam their attacks. You could also drop AV on Excadrill and run SR > Rock Slide, and find something else to use in Sylveon's place. Just some things to think about. Your team is good and Volc + Mawile is pretty strong. Good luck in the future man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)