ORAS OU Mega Metagross and Guts Heracross Balance Breaker

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to take a look at my second RMT. This team is a team designed around the surprising synergy between Guts Heracross and Mega Metagross. It is a team that thrives in 1500-1600 ladder and is best against Balance teams or Semi-Stall teams. As such it struggles and needs optimization to fight effectively in a meta where Hyper Offense is anything but nonexistent.

Jericho (Heracross) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Facade
- Swords Dance
Heracross is the primary balance breaker, sporting a massive offensive power that enemy teams are forced to respect. The combination of Guts and being able to safely trade into a Will-O-Wisp or, to a lesser extent, Scald is invaluable when using a powerful Physical attacker that is forced to fear burns, such as Metagross, or a bulky Pokemon that does not like being Poisoned such as Garchomp or Rotom-W. With power enough to OHKO both Mega Sableye and Skarmory (after Sturdy is broken) at +2 it is allowed to shred through most teams that lack a Pokemon faster than it.

Megagross (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Pursuit
A common monster in OU, Megagross comes back for more, but this time designed to completely stop numerous pesky fast Psychic types that Heracross just can't deal with. While it can not break apart bulky Psychics like Slowbro/Slowking, Jirachi, or Celebi, it does not need to, as they are torn down by and/or serve as set up fodder for Heracross. Bringing down the both Lati twins after Stealth Rock/ Life Orb recoil, it serves as a quick stop to some of the most common stops of Heracross. In the same way Heracross brings down the fatmons that Megagross can't seem to break though. These two Pokemon have incredible synergy against most teams.

Washington (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Rotom is more of a filler mon on this team, yet its presence is certainly helpful as it helps bring down the Flying types that Heracross fears, namely Talonflame. It can also bring down the fat grounds that Heracross struggles to do without a boost, such as Hippowdon. The momentum of Volt Switch also aids in bringing down the Lati twins as they are normally a safe switch into Rotom-W. One of the glue mons on the team, Rotom-W usually serves its purpose in helping end birdspam and giving a bit of trouble to the HO teams that this team struggles with as a whole.

Contact (Garchomp) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
The primary Rocker of the team, Garchomp serves as the primary glue to the balance core of the team. Its presence is troublesome to teams that lack a Fairy type, as Dragon Tail with Rocks on the field can easily rack up damage quickly. This is quickly patched up by the presence of both Megagross and SpD Excadrill, as they can deal with basically all of the Fairies in the OU metagame. The ability to Toxic the fat waters that Rotom-W fails to deal with such as Quagsire and Swampert is essential.

Rotation (Excadrill) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
Serving as both a secondary Rocker and primary hazard control member of the team, Excadrill also deals with variety of Pokemon that the team had a soft spot to, namely Gengar. Though not a full counter due to the lack of reliable recovery and Focus Blast, it serves a most conservative solution than conceding to engage in a potentially devastating speed tie with Megagross. Its ability to Rapid Spin also draws out the premier spinblocker of the tier, Mega Sableye, which serves as settup fodder for Heracross on stall/semi-stall teams. Taking only 65% at maximum from CM Clefable's Flamethrower at +2 and dishing out 70% with Iron Head at a higher speed tier renders this possible threat into a liability for the enemy in Combination with Megagross, who can break down the physical wall sets.

Aries (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
Serving as the resident crippler of fastmons, Thundurus is a must on a team with no Pokemon that break the 111 speed tier. Thundurus can Paralyze the super fast mons that destroy the rest of the Pokemon in this team such as Tornadus-T or Weavile. The speed tier that outclasses the numerous 110s is also needed to the team. Its power to break the bulky waters that Rotom-W is simply not strong enough to do is also essential.

Well here is the team. It currently is not perfect and struggles primarily with Hyper Offense. Any input is appreciated to see as it could lead to an optimization that pushes the team farther than it currently is.
Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

Chadtherest00

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Team looks good over all, I like it. But just to let u know ahead of time mega sableye is picking up in popularity n if you don't have a good hard counter he raises hell on physical teams. I would recommend talonflame swords dance with a priory move can reck some good stuff

Team looks good over all, I like it. But just to let u know ahead of time mega sableye is picking up in popularity n if you don't have a good hard counter he raises hell on physical teams. I would recommend talonflame swords dance with a priory move can reck some good stuff
Heracross OHKOs Mega Sableye at +2 and can't do anything in return.

+2 252 Atk Guts Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 352-415 (115.7 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Sableye serves as set up fodder for Heracross; he is not problem in the slightest. Also, Stall and Mega Sableye is doing the oposite of picking up popularity. Stall is dying and I imagine Mega Sableye may fall in rank to A shortly.

Chadtherest00

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Ugh I've actually been playing them none stop back to back matches. N getting my butt kicked. I just barely picked up a tran to hit em off with n broke my 1300 rating. Easy stuff. But I forgot to factor in the toxic status. They can't burn with that anyways good luck hunting man.

I'd consider replacing Rotom with a Scarf Tyranitar. It's potent against the Latis, Gengar, and birdspam all in one. It can also free up Pursuit on Metagross for something like Ice Punch to break through Garchomp and Landorus-T. Sand is pretty good for your team overall, minus the extra passive damage on Heracross. It also gives you the option of Sand Rush Excadrill, which is good insurance for things like Lopunny or Char X.

I'd consider replacing Rotom with a Scarf Tyranitar. It's potent against the Latis, Gengar, and birdspam all in one. It can also free up Pursuit on Metagross for something like Ice Punch to break through Garchomp and Landorus-T. Sand is pretty good for your team overall, minus the extra passive damage on Heracross. It also gives you the option of Sand Rush Excadrill, which is good insurance for things like Lopunny or Char X.
Thanks for the idea! I will give it a try, but I will keep Mold Breaker on Excadrill as it allows me to threaten Levitate users such as Rotom-W and get Rocks up past any Magic Bounce user. I appreciate your input!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)