ORAS OU Mega Pidgeot (Mega Team #6)

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For the sixth Mega Team, Mega Pidgeot is up. It was recently moved up to OU and as such I am back in my most confortable tier. In stead of focusing on making a team with Pokemon I can get in game, I recently got access to Pokegen so any legendaries are possible now. So let's go:

Mega Pidgeot.gif

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-Turn

The star of the team, Pidgeot provides some insane special damage. It is here to shred anything that is not a pink blob and guarantee a kill if it comes in on a good matchup. The set is quite normal: Hurricane is the strongest STAB move and doesn't miss thanks to No Guard, Heat Wave is Pidgeot's only real coverage move, Roost provides coverage and U-Turn grants my team momentum and gives Pidgeot an easy way out. The EV spread is normal for special sweepers and the Timid nature is used to outspeed Timid Latios.

Celebi.gif
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot

Celebi is here to set up, and not just for himself. Utilising its moves, it can patch up Mega Pidgeot's lack of set-up moves or give Keldeo an even higher Special Attack stat. Leftovers and Natural Cure are used to keep it alive as long as possible and the EVs and nature are used to sponge some special hits. Recover allows Celebi to stay alive even longer, Giga Drain does the same while also providing some STAB damage and Baton Pass and Nasty Plot buff not only itself, but its teammates as well.

Keldeo.gif
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

'Keldeo is one of the biggest threats in the OU tier' -Smogon. There is a good reason for this. Keldeo is insanely powerful and especially with a Choice Specs OHKOs or 2HKOs almost the entire tier. STAB Scald is really strong on everyone and its signature move, Secret Sword, allows it to hit even Pink Blobs really hard, Hydro Pump functions as a secondary STAB move and Icy Wind provides some nice coverage and slows its opponents. The EVs are normal and the Timid nature is used to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Garchomp.

Scizor.gif

Scizor @ Leftovers Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Impish Jolly Nature
- Defog Swords Dance
- Roost Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn Bug Bite

A team with Mega Pidgeot without a Defogger is pretty much unheard of. Bulky Scizor takes this role quite well and also gives me something to take physical hits (apart from using Celebi's base defense). the EVs and nature are used to become a mixed wall whereas Technician is used to boost the damage of its moves oh so slightly. Defog is used for obvious reasons, Roost gives it some durability, Bullet Punch gives it Technician boosted STAB priority and U-Turn gives it a way out. I'm still debating Bug Bite>U-Turn in order to get a bit more damage.
This set was changed to a much more offensive set in order to mainly hit Grass- and Fairy types a lot harder than my team currently does

Garchomp.gif
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic Fire Blast

The first Pokemon I use in two different teams, this Garchomp is vastly different from the one in my Mega Charizard Y team. In stead of a Choice Scarf sweeper/revenge killer, this thing sets up rocks and takes hits. The combination of a Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin deals 1/4th of the opponents HP every time Chomp is hit. The EVs and nature allow it to take more of these hits and slowly wear down its opponent. Stealth Rock is the reason this thing is on the team, Earthquake is used for powerful STAB even without investment, Dragon Tail is secondary STAB and racks up SR damage while Toxic wears down opponents even faster.
Fire Blast replaces Toxic to better hit Forretress, Ferrothorn and the like.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

I just spoke of a Garchomp that I used as a Choice Scarf revenge killer/sweeper. Victini takes that role this time around. It also forms a nice Fire/Grass/Water core with Celebi and Keldeo and is one of the hardest hitters on the team. With the Choice Scarf, it outspeeds the entire unboosted GAME, excluding Deoxys-S. The Adamant nature allows it to hit hard with all its moves, which are: V-Create hits insanely hard while lowering Victini's stats, Bolt Strike is hard-hitting coverage, U-Turn gives me momentum and a way out while Zen Headbutt provides secondary STAB and coverage.

Raikou.gif
Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Raikou replaces Victini in order to better check Electric types and hit Dragon types and bulky Water types harder. The set is a fairly basic Calm Mind set, Volt Switch gives momentum to my team and hits hard with the STAB, Thunderbolt is powerful STAB for when I want to stay in, Calm Mind boosts me to hit even harder and HP Ice gives me the famed BoltBeam coverage.

Thanks in advance for rating my team.

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey AD Thunderboy, decent team you have here, but I am noticing a glaring weakness to offensive Electrics, Latis, and Tornadus-T.
Celebi is really all you have to check the likes of Manectric and Thundurus, and it's easily Pursuit trapped or walled off due to mono-Grass coverage.

Off the bat I see that your Scizor is pretty much dead weight on this team save for Defog support. Considering even Defog Mega Scizor is a pretty mediocre set, normal Scizor just cannot pull it off and doesn't do too much on this team.
I recommend something more offensive with Swords Dance to put your Scizor to better use, letting it lure in and either weaken or outright KO counters to Mega Pidgeot, and properly take advantage of the Latis that trouble your Keldeo. Plus, this Scizor will have the firepower to actually revenge kill for the team and be a lot better at checking the likes of Altaria, Clefable, and Diancie, all Pokemon you struggle with. Your current set doesn't even 2hko DD Mega Altaria with BP, which is a problem.

Honestly Pidgeot probably does ok without Defog support since it has Roost, but the member of your team that really suffers from lacking Defog support is Victini, a Pokemon that I honestly feel is just sort of slapped onto this team. You have to ask yourself, how does Victini help my team achieve it's goal?, before arbitrarily deciding you must have a FWG core.
Victini does poorly against the bulky Water types that Garchomp, Keldeo, Scizor, and to a lesser extent, Pidgeot, struggle with. Victini fares poorly against Heatran and Tyranitar, Pidgeot's most important counters. Victini also stacks your weakness to Dragon types since it cannot hit them all that well. And as a cleaner it's not even that good due to V Create's detrimental effects.

I'd give CM Raikou a shot over Victini. Raikou is a much needed solid check to other Electric types in the tier and Torn, and naturally draws out the likes of SDef Heatran and SDef Jirachi that can put a stop to your Pidgeot and Celebi. Raikou at +1 deals heavy blows to both. You'd also have yourself a nice VoltTurn core still and potentially another Pokemon to BP NP boosts into.

tl;dr
Offensive SD Scizor > your Scizor
CM Raikou > Victini

Sets:
Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Iron Plate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant / Jolly
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

The nature is up to your preference here, with Jolly this spread beats Adamant max speed Bisharp. With Adamant this is enough speed for 0 Spe Landorus-T.

That's all I have for you, hope I helped!

Last edited:

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you both so much for all the advice! I will be talking about all of it briefly. Don't worry, I will be using them all.

• Fire Blast > Toxic for Garchomp was something I thought about, but ultimately decided against at first due to feeling like Victini had enough Fire power (pun intended). Now that the latter is getting removed, it's a change that I'll definitely make.
  • Offensive Scizor > Defog Scizor was another thing I played around with. Actually, this Scizor was Choice Banded at first (in reality, it was a specially defensive Heatran first before I realised that it didn't do much for me), but I felt like I needed Defog and getting three Choiced Pokemon on my team would be dangerous. This is definitely solved with making it an SD set and I will be using the set you suggested.
  • Calm Mind Raikou > Victini YES. So much YES. This team was vastly different before posting it here, with SDef Heatran and Defog Latias over Scizor and Heatran before, but it meant that Garchomp was literally my only physical attack source and I had to get rid of them. You are right in saying that Victini feels like it was slapped onto the team, as it was. I came from the thought that I needed a Fire type physical attacker in order to complete the F/G/W core and Victini was the best thing I could find. Raikou is an interesting Pokemon to me, as I used an AV one before and I was surprised by how fast it was. Using the Calm Mind set will be very fun for me.

Hey AD Thunderboy, decent team you have here, but I am noticing a glaring weakness to offensive Electrics, Latis, and Tornadus-T.
Celebi is really all you have to check the likes of Manectric and Thundurus, and it's easily Pursuit trapped or walled off due to mono-Grass coverage.

Off the bat I see that your Scizor is pretty much dead weight on this team save for Defog support. Considering even Defog Mega Scizor is a pretty mediocre set, normal Scizor just cannot pull it off and doesn't do too much on this team.
I recommend something more offensive with Swords Dance to put your Scizor to better use, letting it lure in and either weaken or outright KO counters to Mega Pidgeot, and properly take advantage of the Latis that trouble your Keldeo. Plus, this Scizor will have the firepower to actually revenge kill for the team and be a lot better at checking the likes of Altaria, Clefable, and Diancie, all Pokemon you struggle with. Your current set doesn't even 2hko DD Mega Altaria with BP, which is a problem.

Honestly Pidgeot probably does ok without Defog support since it has Roost, but the member of your team that really suffers from lacking Defog support is Victini, a Pokemon that I honestly feel is just sort of slapped onto this team. You have to ask yourself, how does Victini help my team achieve it's goal?, before arbitrarily deciding you must have a FWG core.
Victini does poorly against the bulky Water types that Garchomp, Keldeo, Scizor, and to a lesser extent, Pidgeot, struggle with. Victini fares poorly against Heatran and Tyranitar, Pidgeot's most important counters. Victini also stacks your weakness to Dragon types since it cannot hit them all that well. And as a cleaner it's not even that good due to V Create's detrimental effects.

I'd give CM Raikou a shot over Victini. Raikou is a much needed solid check to other Electric types in the tier and Torn, and naturally draws out the likes of SDef Heatran and SDef Jirachi that can put a stop to your Pidgeot and Celebi. Raikou at +1 deals heavy blows to both. You'd also have yourself a nice VoltTurn core still and potentially another Pokemon to BP NP boosts into.

tl;dr
Offensive SD Scizor > your Scizor
CM Raikou > Victini

Sets:
Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Iron Plate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant / Jolly
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

The nature is up to your preference here, with Jolly this spread beats Adamant max speed Bisharp. With Adamant this is enough speed for 0 Spe Landorus-T.

That's all I have for you, hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)