SM OU Mega Sableye Stall

EDIT: Idk whats the deal with all the attachments at the bottom, but idk how to fix it so I guess its just there for now

Hi there, Im Ardy, and I think its time for me to showcase a team that Ive had a lot of fun with throughout the Gen 7 metagame. This is my Mega Sableye based stall team, enjoy.

Teambuilding Process:
1532099520937.png

I decided early on into the SM OU metagame that I wanted to build a team around Mega Sableye, a pokemon I hadnt gotten around to testing out during ORAS. I was attracted to its amazing bulk, utility in Magic Bounce, and great movepool. I used the standard Calm Mind set, except with Knock Off instead of Will-o-Wisp.

1532099520937.png
1532099798183.png

Every stall team needed a cleric, so I settled on the classic Chansey with Wish and Heal Bell. Not much to say here, except that Sableye could easily take the fighting type attacks that Chansey feared, as well as burn physical attackers to make them almost a non-issue, and in return Chansey could take the fairy type attacks(except for Play Rough) that Sableye feared fairly well.
1532099520937.png
1532099798183.png
1532099844258.png

Next, hazard control was a necessity. This being early SM, we didnt have the plethora of a Defoggers that we do today, so I had to settle on the relatively mediocre Zapdos to fulfill the role of a Defogger.
1532099520937.png
1532099798183.png
1532099844258.png
1532099887672.png

Next, I added Heatran for its awesome typing and stealth rock support, as well as useful tools in Taunt and Magma Storm.
1532099520937.png
1532099798183.png
1532099844258.png
1532099887672.png
1532099940239.png

Tapu Fini was also added as a Mega Charizard-X check as around this time there were a lot of MegaZardX's running around with Earthquake, making Heatran an unsound choice to check them.
1532099520937.png
1532099798183.png
1532099844258.png
1532099887672.png
1532099940239.png
1532099990217.png

I then added Marowak-A as its unique typing and brilliant offensive prowess made it both offensively and defensively a good pick for the team, checking the then-common ultra beasts and legendaries such as Pheromosa, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko, Kartana without Night Slash and many more.

This iteration of the team was decent enough in the days of early SM, but it began to slag as the metagame developed, and I stopped using it, switching to other tiers in favor of OU, or even in OU, other teams. However, about six months ago, I was visited by the urge to go back and update this team for the modern metagame and see how well it fared. And thus began the second iteration of this team.

1532099553348.png
1532099822221.png
1532100000752.png

I kept Mega Sableye, Chansey and Marowak-A, as I felt that the roles they played for the team could not be matched by any other pokemon in the metagame. Heatran often struggled to set up rocks, which was the main reason I used it, so I got rid of it. Tapu Fini had no recovery and was thus underwhelming in practice, so it was removed as well. Zapdos was a decent enough fit when there was a shortage of viable defoggers, but as USUM brought with it a host of new pokemon that could learn the move, I decided to search for a better fit for the team.
1532099553348.png
1532099822221.png
1532100000752.png
1532100069762.png

Mantine ended up being the newest fit for the team for several reasons. Firstly, it synergized quite well with Marowak, as Lightningrod could render the electric types that threatened Mantine useless. Secondly, it was a complete stop to all Keldeo sets with Water Absorb, except for the rare HP Electric Keldeo. And lastly, with Haze it could end up being an emergency panic button for all sorts of set-up sweeper situations.
1532099553348.png
1532099822221.png
1532100000752.png
1532100069762.png
1532100084464.png

I added Ferrothorn as a reliable hazard stacker, and also for Leech Seed support.
1532099553348.png
1532099822221.png
1532100000752.png
1532100069762.png
1532100084464.png
1532100110733.png

Next, I tried out Assault Vest Tangrowth as a bulky attacker. It worked well enough, but the problem came wherein this team was almost completely torn apart by Charizard-X, as it dealt an average of 70% to Mantine with Dragon Claw. Hawlucha was also troublesome to deal with, although manageable. So, to counter Charizard-X and Hawlucha, and provide a better matchup vs Mimikyu, I removed Tangrowth and instead added Quagsire.
1532099553348.png
1532099822221.png
1532100000752.png
1532100069762.png
1532100084464.png
1532100112727.png

With this replacement, the team was done, and after testing it out on several alts, I was satisfied with the results.

AT A GLANCE:
1532099553348.png
1532099822221.png
1532100000752.png
1532100069762.png
1532100084464.png
1532100112727.png

The Gem Collector (Sableye-Mega) (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Shell Shocker (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off

Egg Monster (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

Stupid Shite (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Face Of Mercy (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Toxic

Wat (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover
- Ice Punch

A Closer Look:
1532100151637.png

The Gem Collector (Sableye-Mega) (M) @ Sablenite
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/ Knock Off

What it does: Sableye is the main backbone of the team, throwing back Stealth Rocks and Toxics and Taunts that would otherwise cripple the other members. Its also the primary win condition, as after its checks are eliminated it becomes almost impossible to break with a combination of Wisp and Calm Mind and can eventually overrun the opponents team. The choice between Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse comes down to personal preference; Shadow Ball allows it to beat Clefable by CM and is overall a better matchup against Fairies, but I prefer Dark Pulse for situations where Sableye might need to check a normal type. If you should choose to run Knock Off over Wisp, however, be warned that its ability to check physical attackers will suffer, although Knock Off allows it to do something to Chansey, who otherwise gets into a stalemate with this set.
What it beats: Almost every SR setter bar Excadrill and Clefable. Landorus-T in particular hates this poke, as it can easily take an Earthquake and either Recover up or Wisp it to nuetralise SD variants. Its a good answer to a lot of physical threats, and its wisp is annoying for many pokemon to face, as even Special Attackers dont like the chip damage. It is a very good check to most variants of Heatran, especially Stallbreaker Heatran, as it can bounce back Taunt and Calm Mind up to lessen the impact of Magma Storm. Be wary of using Wisp on teams with Heatran, however, as a Flash Fire boost makes Heatran much more difficult to deal with. Ferrothorn in particular is rendered moot by this set.
What beats it: Excadrill can set up rocks and toxic Sableye without fear due to Mold Breaker, although it hates being burned by Wisp. All of the Tapu's also beat Sableye, although it can take on Tapu Fini after a couple of Calm Minds. Clefable is the biggest pain in Sableyes ass, as even at +6 Sp.Atk Dark Pulse does very little(although if running Shadow Ball, this becomes a much easier poke to deal with) and in return can threaten Sableye with Moonblast and set up rocks without much fear. Chansey forces it into a stalemate, as Chansey cannot Siesmic Toss Sableye or Toxic it, but Sableye cannot do anything back to it either.

1532100168116.png

Shell Shocker (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance/ Knock Off
What it does: Even defensive teams need some offensive presence to put the pressure on others, and Marowak-A is the perfect offensive mon for this team. It has a superb typing which, in coordination with Lightning Rod, allows it to check offensive and defensive pokemotn in the metagame. With Sword Dance it is also this teams only answer to Clefable, and in general it really smacks things around while still being very potent on the defensive side. It is somewhat a hit-and-run pokemon, coming in on threats it can check and smacking holes in the opponents team with Shadow Bone and Flare Blitz. Knock Off may be used, but in that case Clefable's Softboiled will have to be stalled out, not an easy task.
What it beats: All variants of Magearna. Fluer Cannon does a maximum of 40% to Marowak, and after blocking Volt Switch it can kill Magearna with Flare Blitz. It also kills Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu and Kartana without Night Slash. It is also a good-ish check to Buzzwole, although it must be wary of Earthquake variants. With Swords Dance, there is very little that it doesnt kill, although due to the hit-and-run nature of this set SD might be dropped in favor of Knock Off. If it catches Toxapex switching in with Shadow Bone or SD, it can KO the next turn with Bonemerang. It is generally a very good check to Electric Types who depend on HP Ice/Fire for coverage, and Steel Types.
What beats it: Tyranitar. Mostly any Pursuit trapper sucks for Marowak, but Tyranitar resists Shadow Bone and Flare Blitz and doesnt take much from Bonemerang, so its a bigger pain than the others. Greninja is also a good check, although it must come in as a revenge killer-Shadow Bone is a 2HKO, which means if it takes on Shadow Bone it cannot take another. Mantine is also an amazing check, immune to Bonemerang and resisting Flare Blitz and tanking Shadow Bone. It is possible to run Thunder Punch specifically for Mantine, but Thunder Punch doesnt hit much else so its a waste of the moveslot. Generally, water types that can outspeed and KO or Pursuit users that dont fear Shadow Bone are very good checks.

1532100184347.png

Egg Monster (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss

What it does: Pink Blob the prequel does what Pink Blobs have done well since RBY, which is just sit there and not die. While it doesnt die, it provides invaluable Wish Support to Ferrothorn and Marowak-A, although pretty much every poke on this team appreciates its titanic Wishes healing it full every time. It has Seismic Toss so its not complete Taunt bait(although it is very much Taunt bait) and Heal Bell to heal any stray burns or poisons. Not much to say about it that hasnt been said already.
What it beats: Pretty much every special attacker bar Keldeo. Theres not much that it specially checks, but its insanely splashable during a match that can just come in on something like Greninja or Magearna, sponge up a hit and set up a wish that it can use for itself or pass to a teammate. Just really really useful as a team supporter.
What beats it: Pretty much every physical attacker. Taunt ruins it. Even special attackers with reliable recovery can be annoying, as they can just heal off Seismic Toss damage, pushing a stalemate. Again, nothing special being said here, everyone knows how Pink Blobs work.

1532100199515.png

Stupid Shite (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze
What it does: Defogs away entry hazards and burns things with Scald. Its a great special sponge that doesnt die immediately to physical attacks, although it has to watch out for random electric moves. It has Haze to act as a panic button vs set-up sweepers that Quagsire doesnt check, and is just an all around useful mon to have, as its quite underprepared for in the OU metagame. It has amazing synergy with Marowak-A and Quagsire, and works well with the team.
What it beats: Mantine is the best check for Keldeo and is a great answer to Volcarona, as if Volc carries Giga Drain Quagsire loses. Mantine, however, can even tank a +1 Shattered Psyche coming from Psychic and haze away its Quiver Dances. Also a good answer to Mega Lopunny and burned Landorus. Gliscor cant do much if its not packing Toxic, and Mantine can Scald it back. It beats Mega Gyarados, who can Mold Breaker past Quags Unaware. Its also an iffy check to Excadrill, but it hates being hit by Rock Slide or Toxic.
What beats it: Tapu Koko is the first thing that comes to mind, but, really, any electric type. Mantine also hates moves like Volt Switch and Thunderbolt on pokemon that it would otherwise easily check, like Magearna and Tapu Lele. Rotom-Wash is a very good answer, as it resists Scald and can Volt Switch out, and switching to Marowak-A isnt an option due to the threat of Hydro Pump. Generally, anything that resists water and doesnt mind a burn or carries an electric type move can easily threaten Mantine.

1532100213434.png

Face Of Mercy (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Toxic

What it does: With its great typing, Ferrothorn can come in on many common pokemon in the metagame and either Leech Seed something or begin setting up hazards. This Ferro carries Toxic over Gyro Ball as its complete taunt bait anyways and Toxic helps the rest of the team stall out problematic pokemon. Leech Seed in particular is very useful as it acts both as passive recovery and as chip damage on the opponent, turning otherwise solid pokemon into a liability that must switch out. Iron Barbs is amazing for chip damage on weakened mons as well. It loves Wish Support from Chansey in order to do its job.
What it beats: Most grass and water types. Tapu Fini. Tapu Bulu that lacks Superpower. Tapu Lele. Most fairy types that dont use HP Fire for coverage are Leech Seed bait. Most things that cant OHKO it can be set up on, although itll be taking hits very often so its not wise to get it worn down. Iron Barbs is a godsend, and when stacked up with a potential Toxic or Leech Seed means that Ferro checks physical attackers very well. Also a good check to Celesteela lacking Flamethrower.
What beats it: HP Fire on mons like Tapu Lele. Fighting type moves hurt as well, although with two ghost types this isnt as bad as it should be. Ferrothorn is its own best counter, as it is immune to both Leech Seed and Toxic and can set up its own Hazards. Venusaur and Amoonguss are in a similar boat, as is Poison Heal Breloom, as they dont really care about anything it does, and can set up or start attacking. If Chansey has been taken out, Ferrothorn becomes reliant on Leftovers and Leech Seed to stay healthy enough to check foes, which often makes it a liability once Chansey has gone.

1532100228304.png

Wat (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover
- Ice Punch/Haze

What it does: Quagsire is an absolute godsend of a pokemon. Unaware combined with its amazing typing make it a killer check to threatening set up sweepers, and Toxic can put a timer on mons that think they can stall it out(usually bulky water types). Rather than use Scald, this Quagsire uses Earthquake to kill Tapu Koko, MegaZardX and Heatran, and it can do upto 50% on a Toxapex coming in. Recover makes it the wall it is, capable of taking hits and just staring, blank eyed, into the opponents face as it tries to set up. I personally prefer Ice Punch over Haze to beat Gliscor and Lando-T as well as the stray Garchomp, but Haze is usable too. However, even when using Haze on Quagsire, do not remove Haze from Mantine, as otherwise Giga Drain Volcarona will become a very difficult threat for this team to handle, especially early-game..
What it beats: Oh. My. God. Mega Charizard X. Hawlucha. Mimikyu. Mega Lopunny. Bisharp. Garchomp. Gliscor. SD Lando-T. DD Gyarados(cant handle the Mega, however). Usually a good switch in VS Victini as well, although Stored Power sets can beat it if it lacks Haze. Mega Scizor. Zygarde. Just, if it sets up and doesnt use a grass type coverage move, Quagsire can usually trump it.
What beats it: Unfortunately, Quag is very reliant on Unaware to wall, which means that Mold Breaker mons such as Mega Gyarados and Excadrill can run through it after setting up. Grass type mons or pokemon with Grass Type coverage moves are a pain as well. Tapu Bulu is an especially annoying case, as it even cuts Earthquakes power in half with Grassy Terrain. Furthermore, pokemon with a lot of raw power, such as Kyurem-B or Hoopa can destroy Quag without blinking.

Threats to the team:
1532100247631.png

Serperior is possibly the worst thing ever for this team to face. Thankfully, its a relatively rare sight these days. Serp can run right through Quag while setting up at the same time. If it has Hidden Power Fire then nothing on this team can stop it, and even if it doesnt I have to sack Ferrothorn to Toxic it and then attempt to stall out the Toxic turns with Blisseys Wishes. If it gets to +6 then its pretty much gg. Terrifying.
1532100265994.png

Clefable is a huge pain in the ass, as it takes no damage from the usual means this team has for defensive pokes due to Magic Guard, and the best way to deal with it is a SD Marowak-A. If Marowak-A is taken out, then there is actually nothing on this team that can reliably take it out. Just a really really annoying mon.
1532100287433.png

Mega Pinsir has amazing raw power, and if not quickly checked with a Will-o-Wisp or Scald Burn then it can quickly make its way through this team. Quagsire is generally a good check, however.

Mega Alakazam is very one dimensional, but as with Pinsir, it has immense raw power and can easily power through most of the team. Chansey can stand up to it, but Calm Mind versions or the rare Encore MegaZam can completely disrupt the entire team.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-778479054
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-778509679
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-778539494

Attachments

Hi there. While I do feel your team does implement a lot of stall mechanics, it just seems like it's not purely stall-based considering how you are running an offensive Alolan Marowak on a team advertised as stall. Perhaps this should be called off-stall or something? I just take a bit of issue with it being called stall when you are using an offensive mon that is so out of place from the rest of the team when you have better options available to you. I don't mean to be rude or anything by saying all of this, so please don't misconstrue what I mean when I say Alolan Marowak is the odd one out in this team. You said in the description "Even defensive teams need some offensive presence to put the pressure on others" which is... False? To an extent stall teams need offensive aspects, but stall teams are meant to draw out games, survive, and conquer by crippling opponents with entry hazards and status effects, to which Alolan Marowak does not achieve that goal in the gameplan. Besides dropping Alolan Marowak entirely I will offer you some other advice:

Since you're running what seems to be a calm mind variation of Sableye, you might want to consider running Snarl over Dark Pulse or Shadow Ball. You're not trying to deal the most damage, you want to shell up with him so the added decrease in special attack on hit with Snarl further cripples special attackers. Don't run Knock Off on Sableye if you use this set because you'll want the burn status from Wisp.

Sableye-Mega (M) @ Sablenite
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp

Otherwise if you want him to fit Knock Off run this:

Sableye-Mega (M) @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

For Chansey I would personally use a softboiled set with Soft-Boiled and Toxic over Wish and Protect. You could probably run an Unaware Clefable cleric set in place of your Quagsire if you feel like you need the Wish support, but I don't think it's entirely necessary considering your whole team besides Marowak has recovery moves.

Your Mantine set looks solid, except for how you named him Stupid Shite. Don't be mean to him, he's a good boy.

Ferrothorn is straight up pure Taunt bait with your current set, just run a Gyro Ball over Toxic with zero speed IVs and hey look at that you have an offensive move and now you also have a decent answer to the Clefables you've had problems with. You also may not want to put all the hazard setting pressures you have on one mon. Chansey can run Stealth Rock too which would allow Ferrothorn to run another coverage move.

Finally, I like Unaware Clefable much more than I do Unaware Quagsire in stall because it can offer wish support and it can also nuke opposing Mega Sableyes on other stall teams.

Sorry if some things I said came across poorly, but I truly am only trying to help you and be constructive so I apologize for tearing apart that Marowak as much as I did. Thankfully there are some stall core alternatives you can look into. I won't list sets in particular, but you could go back to revisit Heatran and run it as a stallbreaker. It would take care of Clefable, Mega Pinsir, and Serperior quite well by trapping them with Magma Storm. You can slot rocks on him too, which would free up more room on your Ferrothorn. Where your team stands right now, I think that Heatran is one of your best in slot substitutes to your Marowak. Otherwise something like defensive Zapdos, Toxapex, or Celesteela could find a home on a stall team like this, but you may need to change some things around to fit them in.

I have been running a stall team of my own that I will release in the next few days if you would be interested in taking a look at it for reference. Best of luck to you. Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)