Gen 6 Mega Salamence

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
Approved by Sweep
mmence.png

Type: Dragon/Flying
Stats: 95 HP/135 Attack/80 Defense/110 Special Attack/80 Special Defense/100 Speed >>> 95 Health/145 Attack/130 Defense/120 Special Attack/90 Special Defense/120 Speed
Ability: Intimidate >>> Aeriliate

Notable Moves:
Dragon Dance
Subsitute
Refresh
Roost
Return
Double-Edge
Facade
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Hyper Voice
Hydro Pump
Wish
Toxic
Dragon Tail
Roar
Tail Wind
Draco Meteor
Thrash

Overview:
With ORAS came one of the best Mega-Evoultions yet, Mega Salamence. After Mega Evolving, not only does Salamence gain a speed tier inhabited by few, but it also gains a huge boost to it's Defense stat and one of the strongest abilities in the game, Aeriliate.

Potential Movesets:

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate >>> Aeriliate
EVs: 252 Attack/4 SpDef/252 Speed
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return/Double-Edge/Thrash
- Earthquake/Roost
- Refresh/Subsitute

---

Discuss away! :D

Now that we know Mega Ray can hold items, is there much point to Mega Mence in Ubers? I mean, Intimidate + Defense buff makes it physically bulkier, and it is SLIGHTY faster, but other than that it seems a bit outclassed to me.

yohoE

Now that we know Mega Ray can hold items, is there much point to Mega Mence in Ubers? I mean, Intimidate + Defense buff makes it physically bulkier, and it is SLIGHTY faster, but other than that it seems a bit outclassed to me.
It still has access to Roost and Refresh. Also, it doesn't get revenge killed by various priority users as easily as mray does. ALSO, you can run regular ray AND mega mence together! :D

Dual Dragon with Mega Rayquaza. Thanks to its far superior bulk, Mega Salamence has an easier time setting up on physical attackers and then sweeping after Mega Rayquaza has done its job as a wallbreaker. This strategy was highly effective in Gen IV and it's only become even more effective with both Salamence and Rayquaza having improved vastly. Xerneas's usage will likely drop due to Primal Groudon being its complete and utter bane, so the Dual Dragon core has even less opposition as of now.
There's definitely enough reason to use Mega Salamence, but only with (Mega) Rayquaza on its side.

Last edited:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Dual Dragon with Mega Rayquaza. Thanks to its far superior bulk, Mega Salamence has an easier time setting up on physical attackers and then sweeping after Mega Rayquaza has done its job as a wallbreaker. This strategy was highly effective in Gen VI and it's only become even more effective with both Salamence and Rayquaza having improved vastly. Xerneas's usage will likely drop due to Primal Groudon being its complete and utter bane, so the Dual Dragon core has even less opposition as of now.
There's definitely enough reason to use Mega Salamence, but only with (Mega) Rayquaza on its side.
Some problems. Mega mence's "superior" physical bulk is rather incorrect and it is some bullshit that people like spouting for some reason since although it has more bulk on paper, Ray has less weaknesses on the physical side especially on vital shit like bolt strike, stone edge and uh that's all that's relevant as far as I'm concerned since other things that are physical will tend to have ice beam (groundceus) that again fucks up mence harder due to having more weaknesses. Secondly don't talk about a metagame you have no idea about since Ray and mence were both subpar in xy individually and probably even more terrible when used on the same team and not highly effective. Most importantly, you still can only use one mega so er uh what. This is before factoring in how Ray has far better offenses and isn't weak as shit since mence does next to nothing compared to Ray since it needs a DD and double edge to even hit remotely as hard as mega ray with LO so uh lol?

Edit:ignore what I said about having more bulk on paper, mence only has "more bulk" on the initial switchin due to intimidate but afterwards Ray has better bulk since 105/100/100 >>>>>> 95/130/90.

Last edited:
Some problems. Mega mence's "superior" physical bulk is rather incorrect and it is some bullshit that people like spouting for some reason since although it has more bulk on paper, Ray has less weaknesses on the physical side especially on vital shit like bolt strike, stone edge and uh that's all that's relevant as far as I'm concerned since other things that are physical will tend to have ice beam (groundceus) that again fucks up mence harder due to having more weaknesses. Secondly don't talk about a metagame you have no idea about since Ray and mence were both subpar in xy individually and probably even more terrible when used on the same team and not highly effective. Most importantly, you still can only use one mega so er uh what. This is before factoring in how Ray has far better offenses and isn't weak as shit since mence does next to nothing compared to Ray since it needs a DD and double edge to even hit remotely as hard as mega ray with LO so uh lol?

Edit:ignore what I said about having more bulk on paper, mence only has "more bulk" on the initial switchin due to intimidate but afterwards Ray has better bulk since 105/100/100 >>>>>> 95/130/90.
Mega Rayquaza does not use the Mega slot, since it only needs to know Dragon Ascent to enable Mega Evolution, so you CAN use both on the same team. I know Salamence was pretty much unviable in XY and Rayquaza had a slew of issues as well, but I made a typo since I meant Gen IV, not VI, so excuse me for the error there. My point is that Dual Dragon was pretty deadly in the DPPt metagame due to how little could stand up to the combination. As I've mentioned, they do have their fair share of problems, but it could still be a really effective combination when pulled off well. Mega Salamence does still have more physical bulk than Mega Rayquaza, but is indeed specially frailer.

yohoE

Mega Rayquaza does not use the Mega slot, since it only needs to know Dragon Ascent to enable Mega Evolution, so you CAN use both on the same team.
As far as I know, it does take up your mega slot.

Mega Rayquaza does not use the Mega slot, since it only needs to know Dragon Ascent to enable Mega Evolution, so you CAN use both on the same team.
Proof? As far as I know the way it works is that if you Mega evolve something you can't go Mega on something else in the same battle.

Yeah, with Mega Rayquaza being 204000% more effective as a sweeper using Mega Salamence has a lot of opportunity cost. It breaks my heart as well but it is what it is :[

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
If Mega Rayquaza despite getting to hold an item takes up a mega slot, then I think a fair consideration can be made for it as a strong neutral sweeper, no? In teams requiring Primal Groudon/Kyogre? (apparantly they don't take up a spot wtf gamefreak that's some remake grade bullshit) And MegaGengar is still a HUGE thing.
We've seen how good Flying Type STAB is in the lower tiers and the rare occasion Yveltal spams them.

The Speed is good, the attack is superb, the mix potental is more than enough... w/ Aerielate the Damage Output is almost equal to regular Rayquaza, with arguably more abusable coverage. Plus it's more durable and in both spectrums and hella faster, outspeeding some key (non-scarf) pokemon, with 120 being a generally excellent unboosted speed-tier to be in in a slow meta like ubers. Plus nicely being able to switch in and set up on most physical variants of Arcues and some other pokemon, with a combination of it's speed, physical bulk, pre-evolution ability, and shit like Sub...

With some careful setup I can see him absolutely ravage teams.

Last edited:
It still has access to Roost and Refresh. Also, it doesn't get revenge killed by various priority users as easily as mray does. ALSO, you can run regular ray AND mega mence together! :D
Just to be sure, who rkills mray with priority ice shard?

From my experience, Mega Salamence is pretty good in Ubers so it deserves it's own thread. Mega Rayquaza might be better in most circumstances but Mence does have it's perks over it and you have to remember that not everyone likes using the same thing:

100 base speed stat before mevo
120 base speed in case Scarf Mega Ray becomes more common
Doesn't get revenge killed by Ditto. Well it's a 50/50 since Ditto could run 0/max happiness I guess.
Facade/Sub to get past burn/status
Roost

Last edited:
This mon isn't viable in the tier sadly, it comes with an infinite opportunity cost to Mega Rayquaza with an held item. As bad as this may sound, I don't think this thread is needed.
Chances are this thing is being banned from OU, so having this thread will at least give us the opportunity to have discussion of the mon somewhere since Ubers will be the only smogon metagame it can be used in, even if it is to say "dont use this, use mega ray" it still has its uses, no?

no, it doesn't have any uses whatsover. In fact, any mega comes with infinite opportunity cost compared to mega ray, so I don't see any point discussing them.
Eh, that's overstating it a little. Certain Megas like Mewtwo, Gengar, and Mawile will still have some use, even if said uses are niches.

Wait nope scratch mawile can't even check yveltal that well now

The use of Mega Rayquaza will at the very least push people to use checks that can be trapped by Mgar, freeing up space for regular Ray, Ekiller, ect. Mewtwo's just Mewtwo and yeah I edited in a note that there's not really a reason to use Mawile anymore

Yeah you are not correct in any sense, the problem is your percieved logic that there actually exists checks to MRay. You also lack examples of these so called "Mega Rayquaza checks that Gengar can trap", which is probably sound after all since 0 mray checks equates to 0 mray checks gengar can trap. "Mewtwo is just mewtwo" is an oh so vague way of looking at it; don't go that route just because Mewtwo is the original uber. It's just a uninformed statement that has no validity as an argument, ever.

Just to be sure, who rkills mray with priority ice shard?
Just curious, but which mons run Ice Shard in Ubers?

I've tested with Banded Weavile and Mamoswine (not sure you'd see these just to check Mega-Mence but w/e), neither of which can KO Mega-Ray with Ice Shard even after Stealth Rock.

Mega-Mence is always OHKOed by Ice Shard after SR and with an Adamant user, can be a guaranteed OHKO even without SR up. Jolly has a chance to OHKO without SR too.

Just curious, but which mons run Ice Shard in Ubers?

I've tested with Banded Weavile and Mamoswine (not sure you'd see these just to check Mega-Mence but w/e), neither of which can KO Mega-Ray with Ice Shard even after Stealth Rock.

Mega-Mence is always OHKOed by Ice Shard after SR and with an Adamant user, can be a guaranteed OHKO even without SR up. Jolly has a chance to OHKO without SR too.
So, I'm just asking who are the Pokémon that easily rkill M-Ray with priority.

im thinking that salamence could check primal groudon due to its fire resistance and ground immunity while having reasonably ok bulk. it could hit it with an EQ and i cant see salamence taking more than half from stone edge(damage calculator is down atm).

im thinking that salamence could check primal groudon due to its fire resistance and ground immunity while having reasonably ok bulk. it could hit it with an EQ and i cant see salamence taking more than half from stone edge(damage calculator is down atm).
Assuming standard EV spread for both (no HP/Def investment for Mega-Mence), then Stone Edge from P-Don does 74.3% - 87.6% to Mega-Mence. Basically a guaranteed KO after SR.
Unboosted Earthquake from Mega-Mence does 46.3% - 54.5% to a P-Don with 0 HP/0 Def investment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)