Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall / Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Mega Sharpedo is one of the UU tier's premier late-game cleaners, being able to first boost its Speed and then break down walls after Mega Evolving, utilizing Strong Jaw-boosted attacks. Protect may seem like a weird option in a singles metagame, but it guarantees Sharpedo at least one speed boost. Mega Sharpedo's main drawback is its vulnerability to metagame staples such as Breloom, and Cobalion. It is also relatively weak prior to Mega Evolution, which may force it to Mega Evolve early, but that would make it much easier to revenge kill later on, especially if it's running an Adamant nature. Mega Sharpedo is best used on offensive teams and pairs well with wallbreakers like Scizor and Latias that wear down its checks and hazard setters such as Gliscor and Klefki. Go ahead and give it a try, because this Mega Evolution is guaranteed to put your opponents in deep water!

Here is a UUPL replay of Mega Sharpedo cleaning late-game:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-376494

Last edited:
Before we do anything with this, I just wanted to say that this isn't how you write a spotlight. This looks like the Moves section from the on-site analysis, which is not what a spotlight should be. A spotlight should contain nothing that you would have already known about the Pokemon prior to playing UU, so what explaining what Sharpedo's moves do, like "Crunch is a strong STAB move that heavily damages walls such as Swampert and Mega Aggron" doesn't fit at all in a spotlight. Honestly though, the first and last sentences are probably alright.

I'm not personally the best at writing spotlights myself, but Eyan is a really good spotlight writer that understands the format very well and also plays at a high level. I'd message him asking for further advice before continuing with this.

Also the moves are super outdated because the set was posted a while ago. It should be, according to the analysis:

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang / Liquidation
- Protect

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok hi.

Basically, for a spotlight, the first thing to keep in mind is that you're focusing on the specific set and not the Pokemon itself. For Mega Sharpedo that's not really an issue, since there's only really one viable set. It's just for future reference. Anyway, the things I'd want to see are:

• What role does this set fulfil in the tier? You have this part covered by mentioning how it's a good late-game cleaner.
  • Touch a little about its moves. You don't have to explain why you run stuff like STAB moves, but coverage and Protect might be worth explaining a little. There's no need to explain EVs unless they're super specific for something but in this case you're just saying it for the sake of saying it.
  • What issues does this Pokemon face and how would you overcome them with the way you play or teammates?
  • What partners would complement what it does in the tier? A little related to the above but it's more so a support thing than an aiding its weaknesses thing
  • Replays where applicable
Overall, try to keep it under 1000 characters for one. Keep in mind that the target audience isn't the same as analyses, so I don't want to see the Moves and Team Options sections crammed into this. I want actual focus on what this Pokemon is actually capable of and for it to be engaging to the Facebook audience. There isn't a point in posting this otherwise. No need to go into the super specific details that most people reading this should/would know like what Crunch does for example (it's STAB, it hits hard. okay) Let me know if you're unsure of anything.

Felixx

I'm back.
Ok hi.

Basically, for a spotlight, the first thing to keep in mind is that you're focusing on the specific set and not the Pokemon itself. For Mega Sharpedo that's not really an issue, since there's only really one viable set. It's just for future reference. Anyway, the things I'd want to see are:

• What role does this set fulfil in the tier? You have this part covered by mentioning how it's a good late-game cleaner.
  • Touch a little about its moves. You don't have to explain why you run stuff like STAB moves, but coverage and Protect might be worth explaining a little. There's no need to explain EVs unless they're super specific for something but in this case you're just saying it for the sake of saying it.
  • What issues does this Pokemon face and how would you overcome them with the way you play or teammates?
  • What partners would complement what it does in the tier? A little related to the above but it's more so a support thing than an aiding its weaknesses thing
  • Replays where applicable
Overall, try to keep it under 1000 characters for one. Keep in mind that the target audience isn't the same as analyses, so I don't want to see the Moves and Team Options sections crammed into this. I want actual focus on what this Pokemon is actually capable of and for it to be engaging to the Facebook audience. There isn't a point in posting this otherwise. No need to go into the super specific details that most people reading this should/would know like what Crunch does for example (it's STAB, it hits hard. okay) Let me know if you're unsure of anything.
The only thing I'm unsure of is the actual set to use, as you've said before in pm, Psychic Fangs isn't as necessary without Amoonguss in the tier, so should I use Set A or B?

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Liquidation / Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang / Liquidation
- Protect

If it's completely mandatory to use the set that is actually on the smogon analysis then I can understand that, but I just wanted to clarify.

Eyan

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think your current set is fine. The analysis is getting a revamp for what it's worth. Waterfall > Liquidation because tbh the flinching chance is a lot more useful to Mega Sharpedo than the extra power.

Eyan

Looks better now. Breloom is a big threat but there are others to mention outside of priority users. I would link Mega Sharpedo needing Speed Boost to its weaknesses a little more than rn, since a lot of counterplay involves forcing it to Mega Evolve early. There's also stuff like Cobalion that takes it on if healthy. Move it to GP after this final revision.

Eyan

add / correct remove comments
Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall / Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Mega Sharpedo is one of the UU tier’s tier's (changed the apostrophe) premier late-game (add hyphen) cleaners, being able to first boost its Speed with its pre-mega ability Speed Boost, (rc) and then breaking down walls post-mega after Mega Evolving, utilizing Strong Jaw-boosted (add hyphen) attacks. Protect may seem like a weird option in a singles metagame, but it guarantees it Sharpedo at least one Speed speed boost (better to not use the ability as a verb). Mega Sharpedo's main drawback is its vulnerability to metagame staples such as Breloom, Cobalion, and Alomomola (QC comment: remove Alomomola. it's pretty vulnerable to Defense drops from Crunch and isn't the best mon at stopping it. it's also not a metagame staple). It is also relatively weak in its base form prior to Mega Evolution, which may force it to Mega Evolve early, but without a Speed Boost it is that would make it much easier to revenge kill later on, especially if it's running an Adamant nature. Mega Sharpedo is best used on offensive teams, (rc) and pairs well with wallbreakers like Scizor and Latias that wear down its checks such as Scizor and Latias (putting this here makes it sound like Scizor and Latias are the checks themselves), (rc) and hazard setters such as Gliscor and Klefki. Go ahead and give it a try, because this Mega Evolution is guaranteed to put your opponents in deep water!

Here is a UUPL replay of Mega Sharpedo cleaning late-game: (add hyphen)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-376494

GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)