ORAS OU Mega Slowbro OU Beginner's Team :)

Hey folks,

although I have been playing Pokemon from the 1st Generation onwards I only recently got into competitive Teambuilding. The Team I will present you here is my first real ORAS competitive Team so please forgive my mistakes ;)
I am hoping to find some nice advice and feedback for this Team, so please feel freee to help me out here :)

But enough of that.

As the Thread title suggests this team is based around Slowbro, Mega Slowbro to be precise.
So starting out, I run this set of Mega Slowbro:

1)

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator, Mega Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Obviously Slowbro's greatest trait are his physically defensive capabilities. With 95HP, 110 Def (180 Def when Mega evolved) he walls anything that is not Super effective, especially after Mega evolution.
Moreover Slowbro has also a nice 100 base Special Attack (130 in M-Evo). However his Special Defense is lacking somewhat behind. Because of this I chose to run a Calm Mind set, both to strengthen his weaker Special Defense and also to increase his offensive powers. Once you get two Calm Mind's up there is almost nothing that can OHKO or even 2HKO you (at least when it is not super effective).
The ability Shell Armor prevents Crits and thus greatly increases consistency.

Scald and Psyshock are mandatory STABS with a good neutral coverage. I run Psyshock over Psychic to hit Special Walls like Chansey harder, but it really depends on the Team.

Slack Off is for reliable Recovery.

Bold Nature as well as the EV Spread support physical bulk, while also enabling slowbro to set up calm minds on some Special Attackers and then slack off the damage taken (because of this the 176 SpD EV's)

2)

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave/Healing Wish

Honestly Celebi pairs extremely well with M-Slowbro. Since Celebi greatly profits from Slowbros Physical Walling capacities and Slowbro in turn appreciates Celebi both taking Status Attacks due to Natural Cure and also checking Grass and Electric types. Also Celebi counters common strong Water Attackers like Keldeo and Azumarill nicely, or also Energy Ball Manaphy. Be sure to keep status away from Slowbro by swithcing in Celebi to take the hit.

Nature and EV's maximise Celebi's overall (Special and physical) longevity while retaining the ability to outspeed non jolly Bisharps.

Celebi acts as Stelath Rock setter in my team which helps to wear down the opponent. Thunder Wave is for further crippling the opponent although I am currently debating to play Healing Wish instead since some members of my team lack reliable Recovery. Heal bell is also an Alternative.

Giga Drain is Stab, for escaping aunt and combined with Recover and Leftovers ensures Celebi's longevity and its ability to check threats to the team.

3)

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Now with two Psychic types I had the feeling that I should bring a counter to Dark types ;).
And with the most popular Dark Types in OU being Tyranitar and Bisharp, a Fighting Type pokemon seemed like the best counter to them. And since Conkelldurr is the only Fighting Type in OU, I think you see where this is going :D

Okay: Monstrous Attack, good HP, solid Def seems legit. Taking hits and hitting back even harder.

Drain Punch hits hard, Stab + recovery for Conkeldurr.
Mach Punch has STAB and Priority which covers up for the bad Speed stat Conkelldurr has.
Knock Off gives perfect neutral Coverage, cripples opponents POkemon
Poison jab is a surprise for Fairy Types and additionally hits Grass Types.

The Assault Vest combined with the SpDef investment concerning EV's also ensures Conkelldur to be able to take some special hits as well.

Guts also makes Conkelldurr able to absorb burn and other status alement without a Problem :)

4)

As until this Point my whole team is

a) weak to Fairy-Typing
b) slow as F***

my next choice had to be fast, check and counter Fairy Types.
Prime Fairy check and counter is obviously Heatran with its decent special defense and also Offensive capabilities.
But still there was the speed issue so I decided to run a Coice Scarf Heatran.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Choice Scarf + Timid Nature + 228 Speed EV's ensure outspeeding M-Lopunny
HP gives some Extra Bulk for repeated revenge killing and swithes.
252 SpA EV'S maximise power.

Overheat is chosen over Lava PLume because of its higher Base Power. The Sp Atk drop does not really matter because you switch out most of the time anyways because you are predictable otherwise.

Flash Cannon is second STAB option and covers Fairy Types which is his prime purpose. ALso Rock Types are hit hard.

Earth Power and Ancient Power give good Coverage and due to the surprise effect the Choice Scarf
sometimes has makes Heatran able (with Flash Fire) to check opposing Heatrns and Talonflames as well.
Moreover Earth power is my only possibillity to hit Elec. Types hard.

Heatran also pairs great with Celebi since he profits from Celebi taking on Water Types.

5)

Now the next things I wanted to have for my team was a spinner or a defoger to get rit of opponents entry hazards and I wanted a Flying type or levitate user to be able to switch into Ground Type attacks hitting Heatran.

Considering that I did not yet have a counter for flying Types my prime choice here turned out to be Zapdos.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Since I did not know how I should build Zapdos I decided to try a EV spread that priorises bulk, which I guess makes sense for a defogger, since he must be able to take some hits at least.

So I went ahead and gave him a bold nature as well as 176 Def EV's and 248 HP ensure min Stealth Rock damage and great physical bulk. SpAttack investment ensures hitting hard on POkemon it means to check or counter and 16 Speed makes outspeeding adamant Bisharp possible.

Thunderbolt is Zapdos best STAB option, sicne it hits hard and is able to paralyse fromt ime to time.
Roost provides recovery
Defog is Zapdos prime purpose and self explanatory
And at last I chose to run hidden power Ice over Heat Wave because Zapdos switch into ground types quite often. Because of this and not every opponent expects HP Ice,I was able to repetedly hit hard on threats like Garchomp, Landorus, Tornadus or Gliscor who otherwise is a Pain in the A**

6)

Here I did not knowwhat I should go for really. In the end I decided to go for my favorite Pokemon:

Scizor, does not only give me additionall Priority and Weapons against the likes of Clefable but:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock off

Adamant Nature+ Max Attack Investment + Choice Band makes Scizor hit so hard, really so hard!!

STab + Priority + Technician Bullet Punch striaght away kills Pokemon like Gengar or Alakazam that otherwise might have been able to bother my team, because of their sheer Speed and Power.

U Turn makes me able to deal good damage (sTAB) and scout for opponent switches.

Superpower came through often enough hitting hard on other Steel Types or some Chekcs that think they could handle my Scizor. However the Stat Drop + Choice Lock make switching necessary afterwards.

Knock Off gives perfect coverage and again cripples opponents.

I am debating whether there are other moves that profit from technician instead of my current moveset but until this point this composition ahs worked out quite well.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

So guys let me know what you think ;) I greatly appreciate every help I can get!

Thanks a lot!

Importable:

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator, Mega Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock off

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave/Healing Wish

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

You'll need to change either Celebi's or Zapdos' held item. Only one of each item! I'd recommend giving Zapdos a Sitrus Berry, as the instant recovery helps give Zapdos more longevity. That or a Life Orb if you wanna give it some more "oomph".

You'll need to change either Celebi's or Zapdos' held item. Only one of each item! I'd recommend giving Zapdos a Sitrus Berry, as the instant recovery helps give Zapdos more longevity. That or a Life Orb if you wanna give it some more "oomph".
Why does he have to change items?

There's no item clause in ORAS OU

Hey, nb for first RMT. I'd like to suggest a few things. First, you may need better speed control- you could add tail wind to Zapdos, but as majority of your team is slow and Scizor has BP, putting trick room on celebi in place of thunderwave might be a good decision. But you should work fine either way. If you do that, remove scarf from tran ofc.

You have a very large weakness to special attackers despite Conk and Scizor. I suggest adding light screen to celebi and changing Slowbro's ability to +Special Defense.

Thanks for the advise, Zeldamon Master.

I thought about both issues and honestly I think I am going to keep the Team as it is rifght now concerning the Speed Issue, since Celebi with TWave, Scarftran and 2x Priority give me enough possibilities concerning speed control.

Hiowever I see your concern regarding the Special Defense of my Team without Slowbro setting up.
What do you think about running a specially defensive Zapdos nistead?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)