ORAS OU Mega Zam Offense

So i decided to leave OU for a bit to focus on other tiers and i decided to come back and try to build a team round mega zam and this is what i ended up drafting. Team is cliche as f but that's ORAS for you.

I wanted to build a team around mega zam. Mega zam always seemed pretty amazing to me, great speed, great special attack and great coverage, needs to be played around carefully tho since it can't tank shit tho.

Zam appreciates a strong wall-breaker alongside to break things for it to threaten mid to late game.
Volcanion especially the specs set has basically very few switch-ins and nets 2hkoes on a lot of things and allows me to keep strong priority users like bisharp and scizor at bay. Volcanion also helps me handle fairies with ease.

Next i wanted a powerful priority user, something that can switch in on dragon types and having a fairy type who hits real hard is always fun and pairs well with the other 2 in my team as azu can switch in on dark attacks aimed towards zam and zam and volc can smoke anything that azu can't.

Next i wanted a pivot and something that can take hits from special side and provide me momentum. Tornadus also boats some real funky coverage and it's high speed tier really helps. It also helps me deal with some special attackers 1v1.

Then i noticed i had a glaring weakness to mega manectric, i mean any mega manectric player could look at my team and laugh till his stomach hurt. So i added tornadus-t to provide me a critical immunity to electric, block volt switches and form a pivoting duo with torn-t.

Next i added latios to defog away hazards and help me take on the likes of char y better. Latios is almost standard so i did not want to mess around too much.

Weak Santa (Alakazam-Mega) (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

O atk iv's to minimize foul play damage. Spread is standard. Psychic is stab and hits most of the things decently hard. Shadow ball is for other psychic and ghost types and also hits mega metagross hard. Focus blast is inaccurate as f and i once missed 4 in a row. Focus blast helps give coverage against dark and steel type which otherwise cockblock alakazam. Finally encore helps me gain initiative and lock pokes into 1 move and force a switch-in.

Not Broken (Volcanion) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Bomb

Choice Specs literally turns this thing in a nuke and if you are skilled in the art of predicting than whatever is coming in will not eat the hit comfortably. Steam eruption hits like a truck and is very strong stab and the burn chance is cherry on the cake. Flamethrower over fire blast because volc ohkoes anything that fire blast does with flamethrower and i hate loosing because something misses more than often (focus fkin blast). HP Grass helps me deal with bulky waters and really hits those water/ground on the switch-in. Sludge Bomb is fairy annihilation and hits stuff decently that resist volc's stab.

Belly Drum (Azumarill) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Classic banded azumarill, play rough hits decently hard and ohkoes pretty much all targets. Waterfall is useful stab and you can never count off that flinch chance because hax decides matches here not skill.
Aqua jet makes azu the mon it is today and is very very useful priority. Finally superpower helps me nail steels/darks and nail ferro on the switch.

Funky Coverage (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off

Again no twerk with spread, hurricane deals good damage if it hits and confuse chance is legit. U-turn helps me pivot and scout and gain initiative from the same. Heat Wave helps me check something just in case i end up misplaying with volc, it ohkoes scizor and deals heavy chunks to things that don't like fire. Finally knock off on the final slot because i have a habit to knock items it provides stellar utility and it's never useless.

I'm Defensive (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 196 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

I run a sort of bulky scarf varient of lando-t as it helps me with speed control and still checking the physical threats that it's usual defensive varient checks. Earthquake is stab and hits hard and i can spam it late game with ease. U-turn helps me predict and chips damage in the process. i run stone edge here cause it nails the birds roaming around as well as both variants of charizard. Finally in the last slot i have allahu akbar explosion just in case i want to nuke something or feel suicidal and take frustration out on poor lando here.

Unban My Soul (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Free Soul Dew Basically latios is my hazard removal, draco delivery boy and basically helps me deal with char y and adsorb hits from opposing volcanion to some extent as well. Draco Meteor is absurdly powerful and helps break things. Psyshock deals respectable damage to dedicated special walls and hits keldeo/m-venu etc. Recover keeps it healthy throughout the match. Defog is hazard removal 101. 29 hp iv for life orb shenanigans and 0 atk to minimize foul play.

Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Bomb

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Belly Drum (Azumarill) (F) @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Funky Coverage (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off

I'm Defensive (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 80 HP / 196 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Unban My Soul (Latios) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Suggestions and rates are highly appreciated and i almost feel criminal for not having hazards so if i can somehow fit hazards would be useful.

BIG G CHOPPA

Banned deucer.
Hey there dude, cool team by the way.

I'd run timid instead of modest on volcanion. Yes it is nice to hit harder in general but you're going to be hitting like a nuke regardless and being able to hit that base 70 speed tier is pretty nice considering volcanion is slow and all. None of your mons would like to be put to sleep by breloom so worst case scenario you rely on the tie. Just a minor nitpick but it's something to keep in mind i guess, but if you don't want to and prefer the damage output, then by all means keep using modest. Also Earth Power > Sludge Bomb is the change i would consider as it helps you hit opposing volcanion. You hit fairies very hard with steam eruption anyways so sludge bomb is not needed. Azumarill cannot do anything to volcanion and steam eruption burns pressure it.

Considering this is more of an offensive team, I feel like
LO Tornadus Therian would work better here as opposed to AV. Reason for this is that it hits harder in general, being able to punch holes into the opposing team and pressure them effectively. While giving you a solid matchup against stall in the form of taunt. Heat Wave is able to roast steels like mega scizor, skarmory, doublade, klefki, ferrothorn and so forth. Volcanion is quite easily worn down so I feel like this would be a nice addition as mega scizor cannot just go for SD on you, and bank on a potential hurricane miss (these misses, are unfortunately common D:). U-turn is the same, provides the general momentum which is nice. Hurricane packs a punch and yea nothing too much to say about that. Regenerator heals off the LO recoil, so don't worry about that too much. Oh yea with this change i'd make the nature naive or hasty. Depending on what you want to handle better, i personally would like to run naive as it could take on priority users like azumarill, bisharp and scizor better. While hasty helps you against stuff like serperior and keldeo (keldeo is doing severe damage anyways so it's eh really, whatever floats your boat ;p). But yea this set is nice as it keeps up the offensive momentum of the team and can wear down its checks because stuff like rotom wash are pressured to come in often so you can go for u-turn and switch into the appropriate mon.

The next change I would make is to make your azumarill a
Belly Drum variant. While the raw power of CB is appreciated, belly drum isn't too bad of a set itself. It can become an immediate offensive threat when given the chance to set up a belly drum. For example it can potentially go for belly drum on weaker mons like gliscor, clefable and hippowdon. Also latis at -2 or so. What's nice is that even if you do not need to go for belly drum, sitrus berry provides it with a bit more longevity. So it can handle threats like dragons and grounds better. The last change I will talk about a bit later helps support its opportunities to setup, which is why it is a devastating wincon when given the chance.

While landorus therian provides speed control and whatnot, you lack a rocker. Stealth Rock is mandatory honestly, and you cannot really afford to run a team without a rocker. Not to mention that landorus-therian makes your team more weak to bisharp. With these disadvantages in mind, I'd make the change of having
Tankchomp instead of scarf landorus therian. While this makes you lose a form of speed control, my next suggestion will cover that in a bit. Tankchomp is nice as it helps you fare off better against physical attackers like hippowdon, tyranitar, mega lopunny, talonflame, and bisharp. Sets up rocks which is nice as it provides chip damage and can limit certain threats from coming in constantly throughout the match. In addition it can annoy physical attackers with a combination of rocky helmet + rough skin, and throw in endure too :). They're essentially taking more from that alone, compared to the damage they inflict on it.

Last but not least, I'm aware you lack a scarfer. So I feel like
Scarf Latios would be a fine fit. Not only does it provide speed control, but it can cripple defensive pokemon like chansey and clefable. Who find an easy time coming into it. Now with chansey's eviolite gone and clefable's leftovers gone, they are more vulnerable in getting 2 hit koed by attacks which is nice. It outspeeds Mega Lopunny, Mega Manectric, Mega Aerodactyl, and Tornadus-T. Fast threats and can take them out with draco. Pretty cool revenge killer overall. Also with a chansey or clefable locked into softboiled, azumarill can easily come in and go for a BD. There you go, +6 threat with priority and the ability to sweep teams. Have fun with the team :D and hope I helped, I'll leave a quick summary of my changes below so yea.

Timid > Modest
Earth Power > Sludge Bomb

92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe > 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe

Belly Drum > Waterfall
Knock Off > Superpower

4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Naive > 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe Hasty

Taunt > Knock Off

248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe Impish >

Stealth Rock/Dragon Tail/Earthquake/Endure

Choice Scarf > Life Orb

Trick > Recover

Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earth Power

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Taunt

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Endure

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Good luck with team n_n.

This team has the potential to be pretty solid. I'm sort of new to rating teams, but I have a few recommendations:

First, I'd strongly recommend changing your Landorus to a rocks variant, preferrably Offensive Soft Sand, which will give you rocks and a potential way to set rocks against Mega Sableye teams without being forced out and engaging the much despised stall switching cycle. Not to mention it can be a decent wallbreaker that can gain momentum easily via U-turn. Latios can already switch in on MMane and MAla is a solid check to it. Offensive also has the potential to run SD to severely hurt some defensive teams at +2, as well as having a better shot at breaking MSableye, though U-turn is preferred because of the switches this variant of Lando can force. However, if you want, you can go with a defensive set. With 8 sp.def, Defensive Lando can also live a MMane's HP Ice from full if you're that concerned about MMane. Perhaps the biggest boon to defensive, though, it gives you a more solid Exca switchin, as well as being a very nice defensive pivot, but if switching into Exca isn't something you care about (after all, Azu can check it very nicely and MAla semi so), you could go with the offensive variant. Personally, I feel Offensive fits your team better as it provides a bit more momentum and can somewhat handle Mega Sableye in a pinch, but you can choose for yourself.

Set (offensive):
Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn/Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Set (defensive):
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Another thing you lack is any real stallbreaker. Yeah, Volc is difficult to come in on, but virtually all stall teams carry a chansey (bar that Shed squad, I don't think I know any other stall team that doesn't carry Chansey), who counters your spread just dandily, and your Chansey answers are far and few between outside of Azumarill. Therefore, I recommend changing your Tornadus to a Life Orb Taunt variant. This variant of torn has more offensive presence, and Taunt enables it to stop Chansey in it's tracks, as well as threatening to do huge damage to most typical stallmons. It only really fears BandVile on typical ABR stall, but the change I'll recommend after this should help with that. With your moveset, you can afford to run the 252/252 Timid spread. While you can't really do much back to Chansey with your spread, taunting it makes it easy for Lando or Weav to come in and soften it up a lot, at worst, forcing Amoongus out, so you can double back into TornT and rinse and repeat until rocks do their job and wear them right down.

LO TornT Set
Funky Coverage (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Taunt

Those are the main changes that I really feel your team would benefit from, so the next one is optional, but recommended, lest you want to struggle really hard vs Dark Spam. Of course, the change semi weakens you to fairies, but your team can still deal with them, and it's not like Volcanion's a great fairy check without the (BAD) AV set.

Next, Weavile with Poison Jab and Bisharp are pretty huge issues. Volcanion is the only real check you have to them, but they can switch out and have a teammate weaken it, or just outright remove it, while DarkSpam does not honestly care that much, as either Weavile or Bisharp can soften up Volcanion for the other. Bisharp is more problematic imo, as it switches into Latios pretty easily and sets up on it, not to mention flat out deterring Defog. Therefore, I recommend you change your Volcanion into a Specs Keldeo. This keeps the special wallbreaker aspect while at the same time, giving you a more solid dark spam check. Consistency is maybe still a slight issue, so you could run a RestTalk Keldeo, but then you lose a significant amount of firepower and coverage. Personally, I feel Specs Keldeo is the better set for your team, as, while RestTalk Keldeo isn't exactly Bulky Starmie levels of weak, RestTalk also sacrifices momentum a bit and makes matches more hax prone, while Specs Keldeo is pretty consistent and keeps up momentum. Hidden Power Electric is chosen to make Azu a bit less problematic and help with Gyarados, rare though it is.

Specs Keldeo set:
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

tl;dr
Scarf Landorus < Offensive/Defensive rocks
& Knock Off < Stealth Rock
Assault Vest Tornadus < Life Orb Tornadus
& Knock Off < Taunt
Specs Volcanion <
Specs Keldeo with Scald, Hydro Pump, Secret Sword and Hidden Power Electric [OPTIONAL, depends on if you hate fairies more than losing to dark spam]

FINAL TEAM NOTES:
Fairies are a tad problematic if you opt to replace Volcanion, but you have enough physical wallbreakers (with offensive lando) to break most of them, and not many can really switch in on much bar Clefable AKA That Bloody Annoying Pink Thing And Grand Wizard of Yellow Magic that Checks 50% Of The Tier And May or May Not Be The Best Thing In The Tier, who can be broken through via Keld, Lando or Azu. They're not unmanageable (MGarde is a bit of a pain, but you can check it with Azu), and Bisharp and Weavile (DarkSpam mostly) were bigger threats to the team, so I hope you understand why I recommended Keldeo. If you desperately hate fairies, you can run Iron Tail on TornT, but be aware you may have to "sac" it to break Clefable, because screw TWave amirite.

Good luck with your teambuilding endeavours, and I hope I helped in some way :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)