Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Introduction
Hello Smogon, welcome to another of my rate my teams. I haven't posted one in a while, simply because for that entire time I was either being tutored by my awesome tutor Plus or MAKING THIS TEAM. After my tutoring was finished, I realzied I couldn't use any of my old teams- on the first day, I pulled out my best team and watched Plus 6-0 me. By the end I was nearly beating him with some of the newer teams. So I wanted a great team, a masterpiece. I had planned on laddering with this, but... It's not finished. No matter what I do to this team (check out the team building process, there have been a LOT of changes) it just isn't right. It's not perfect, but damn do I love it. But I still need rates- I feel like I'm missing something, something that maybe a fresh pair of eyes could catch.

This team punctuated the end of my stream of mediocre teams. I had basically thrown together analysis sets and hit the find tab. When in search of non-gimmicky creativity, the C+C section is always my starting point (although my only uploads there were both denied, lol). Anyways, to make a long story short, I saw the OU Substitute Lanturn set and FELL IN LOVE. It had always been one of my favourite Pokemon, and filled in niches on my team no other Pokemon has the capacity to fill. Despite the UU status, I consider Lanturn a better pokemon than a good half of the OU tier (cough cough dusknoir cough). This team is to showcase this underrated, unprepared for and ridiculously powerful threat.

As for the title, it was just an album I liked that also happens to have a great name (sorry Death Cab, Narrow Stairs just isn't a good title). It took all of my willpower to not just call it Lanturn, CHARGE! I don't actually use these names on shoddy, because I don't want you all to recognize the team. :) Plus some of them don't fit.

Team Notes
-1 Pokmeon weak to Stealth Rock, 5 neutral
-2 Pokemon vulnerable to Toxic Spikes, 3 immune, 1 absorber
-5 Pokemon vulnerable to Spikes, 1 immune
-3 Pokemon vulnerable to Sandstorm, 2 immune, 1 inducer
-6 Pokemon vulnerable to Hail

At A Glance

Upon Further Inspection

Roserade @ Choice Scarf *In The Arms of Sleep*
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Fire / Ice
-Sleep Powder
-Toxic Spikes

Got the idea from the Smog, this lead is the shit- yes, he is paired with ShucaTran. Nobody seems to expect a scarfed Roserade- not even you should, I already have a scarfer! He gets the edge on common leads, and has his uses mid-game for threatening bulky waters and revenging threats with Sleep Powder or other good moves. But that's not the main reason I picked him- If you'll notice, this team DOES NOT like toxic spikes, and his hidden purpose is to absorb them so that Lanturn isn't permanently ruined.

You'll notice I chose Toxic Spikes over Sludge Bomb. That's because Sludge Bomb is perfectly useless and absolute filler. If I do get a chance and have little else to do, I may lay down some Toxic Spikes because this team certainly has the capability to abuse it, Lanturn in particular. The slashed Hidden Power comes down to whether or not Salamence is banned- if he becomes Uber, I'll stick with Fire, if he's stays, I'll use Ice.
Roserade and Heatran function like CeleTran and enjoy great synergy together, and are my main core in the early game.

Lead Comparison:
Sleep Powder and switch to Heatran for the rocks. Scarf ones w/ Psychic (yes I actually fought one) are a headache, but I can switch to Tyranitar and start messing around.

Leaf Storm twice, and then hurriedly switch out as they send in a counter.

Swampert actually makes me laugh. I usually just sleep powder whatever siwtches in, or Swampert himself is he's ballsy enough.

Fuck Machamp. They always seem to have Lum Berry. I usually just sleep powder anyway and eat a Dynamic Punch and hopes next turn I'm not confused. Substitute ones makes me scream.

Switch to Heatran and stealth rock, assuming they'll switch or that shuca will save me.

Switch to Scizor to take Trick/Iron Head. If they Tricked, I U-turn and if they used Iron Head, I switch to heatran.

Take Fake Out, Sleep Powder, then switch to Gyarados.

Sleep Powder. If they used Protect, I go to Scizor for the Bullet Punch.

Sleep Powder and go to Heatran.

Leaf Storm for the KO. Next?

Heatran @ Shuca Berry *Muzzle*
252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4HP
Naive (+Spe, -SpDef)
-Explosion
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock

Heatran is my obligatory stealth rocker. I resent having to use such a boring set, but it's really the best for what it needs to do. With Roserade as a lead, Heatran gets countless opportunities to set up rocks and just fire off powerful attacks. Him and Roserade are my entry hazards core, and my major Pokemon for the early game.

Hidden Power is to hit those cocky Swamperts and generally be awesome. I usually use it in the early game or mid-game if I don't know exactly whats switching in, because most switch ins get hit HARD by it. I don't really see the applicaiton of Earth Power beyond opposing Heatrans, whom I definitely don't want to test my luck against with a speed tie. Shuca Berry is simply invaluable for things like Metagross, Gyarados and Salamence, who try to Earthquake me. I occasionally explode against these if they seem threatening enough. Surprisingly, however, in all my testing I had little trouble with Salamence. Explosion coming from Heatran is to literally and figuratively go out with a bang, because honestly, he's not the most important member to the team, unlike some of my previous teams, and if I can take another with me, all the better.

EDIT: Earth Power was added because HP Grass was somewhat unneeded, and catching other heatran's on the switch is nice and all.

Gyarados @ Leftovers *Galapagos*
248 HP / 252 HP / 12 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SpAtk)
-Rest
-Roar
-Sleep Talk
-Waterfall

I had been hesitant to use a rest-talker on an offensive team, but this gyarados works a lot better than the old. While still fulfilling many of the same roles as the DD Gyarados used to, Gyarados maintains a far higher level of basic survivability, and I don't have to worry about counting stealth rock turns because he can rest.

The other great thing about this gyarados is his role as a status absorber. With both Roserade, Tyranitar and Gyara, this team has little or no problem with status of any variety. The bonus of having a phazer is awesome too. Cro-blanks, instead of being tricked, can be phazed away, while I keep trick as a failsafe or for something like Blissey. Gyarados is vital as my glue against Infernape, Flygon, and numerous other threats, and giving him recovery has proven wise.
Gyarados @ Leftovers *Galapagos*
156 HP / 88 Atk / 96 Def / 168 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Bounce
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall

Jolly Gyarados is so fantastic. Jolteon think that just because I'm bulky and taunting, I'm Adamant. The chance of them switching into a +1 Gyarados only to get maimed is worth running Jolly. Anyways, although the moveset doesn't look it, I don't really sweep as much with this guy as I do break teams, scout them and hold the team together. Gyarados is important to my survival against Machamp and Flygon, if I may choose a few.

Unlike Stone Edge or Earthquake Gyarados, this guy uses Celebi as mere set-up fodder with taunt and does loads of damage with bounce. In fact, Gyarados is my first answer to many of the things that Lanturn find worrying (Heatran, Celebi, Gliscor, etc.) I don't appreciate the stealth rock weakness, but if Roserade works right, they don't come up the first five turns. But I can honestly say that using Life Orb on a recovery-less, stealth rock weak Pokemon that provides fantastic resistances is simply a waste. With the banning of Latias and possibly Mence, Gyarados fills a niche as an offensive Pokemon that's also a great team player.
===
These three Pokemon form the highly potent Suspect/UU f/w/g core. In the early game, the defensive coverage they bring to the table is unreal. The next Pokemon are the appendages of our core, doing much of the fancy work and working off the support the core provides.
===

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf *Bullet with Butterfly Wings*
252 Spe / 24 SpAtk / 232 HP
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Trick
-Will-o-wisp

As you can see in my signature, the #1 Pokemon I suggest to people in rates is Rotom-A (Second is gliscor, third is starmie). Ironic that it didn't occur to me! This team, no matter what I did to it, was weak to water types, simply put- as you can see in the team building process, Roserade's slot changed a lot, and yes used to have rotom. It didn't occur to me to change something else. Yes, scarf scizor is sexy, but rotom stops the threats I need it too. He's not glamourous or exciting, but damn does he work. The team's main revenge killer, he's also the glue of the team, and together with roserade stop the waters that aren't set up fodder for Lanturn (Gyarados you whore you).

For being a stop to so many threats, I don't understand why people don't max his HP- the base stat is so low, its far worth the investment (think of bold 252 blissey, except less so). The point is that it's simply a greater value, and with his naturally high defenses, he's just difficult to take out. Will o wisp is also the most versatile move for the last slot, and stops most physical attackers.

But the number one reason to use this guy is TRIIICK. Trick is the only way to stop Crocune with any efficiency, and almost nobody really appreciates it! If your team is desperately weak to something, just add trick, it's a failsafe, because just everything is easier to handle when it can only use one move. If I manage to cripple blissey with it, lanturn beats all of stall by itself.

Scizor @ Choice Scarf *Bullet with Butterfly Wings*
252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Superpower
-U turn

Who remembers when scarftar became popular? The ability to outrun positive 115's and then pursuit them made him an instant hint for disposing of Starmie, Latias, Azelf, and Gengar. This Scizor, simply said, is just fantasic. With U turn it seems you have to choose between powerful (CB Scizor) or fast (Flygon, Jirachi). This guy combines both! Scizor is basically guarenteed a kill on Gengar, Azelf and Starmie if he can only switch in, which is honestly a lot easier than it is with Tyranitar. Anybody that knows anything about anything knows that getting Gengar and Starmie out of the way is beneficial for any team, because, put simply, these Pokemon cause problems- Scizor is the solver. :) The element of surprise is big here, because Starmies stay in as I OHKO them with U turn. Also, he actually is capable of revenging Heatran, Infernape and Lucario with Super power, who would normally cause him some problems. He is my team's scout and revenge killer.

Some of you may question Bullet punch when he already has a scarf, but revenging things like +2 Tyranitar (fuck how did that happen?) and just having priority is great. Scizor is capable of revenging anything, no longer just things that are weak to Bullet punch. He's even faster than Scarftar, which of course has it's uses. I can think of scores of situations where having a scarf scizor over a band one is great- no more mind games with MysticGar, and no more Celebi getting cheeky with HP Fire. To sum it up, this Scizor is very similar to ScarfTar in the early days of his inception- unexpected and powerful, netting guarenteed KOes on things that could normally outsmart him, and revenging things that normally sweep past him.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry *Zero*
252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)
-Crunch
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

My favourite guy on the team. DD Tyranitar is a dangerous sweeper, but that's not really why. Lum Berry on this guy is simply the best item for him. Remember how Rotom would try to be smart and will o wisp you? Set up fodder. Toxic Spikes? Not a problem (at least the first time). But best of all is the fact that THIS TYRANTIAR IS A BRELOOM CHECK. I can switch into a spore and fire punch for a KO. Sometimes they even switch into me! I am proud to say that my team does not run Celebi and is not weak to Breloom. The Lum berry also makes him a last-ditch status absorber if Roserade is dead- think of Salamence on Team Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

I love Earthquake and all, but 5-moveslot syndrome has its way here. I needed the STABs, and I've always wanted to use Jolly Lum Tyrantar, so giving it DD seemed like the best way to go. Tyranitar can actually pretty good at sweeping, and if he gets two DD's (which is not difficult with the Lum berry intercepted possible efforts at crippling him), it's game over.

The other fantastic thing about Lum berry is the ability to bluff items, which as we all know, can be very powerful. First, I can bluff a choice item by using an attack and switching out- I've had Forretres switch into a Crunch plenty of times. Even after they discover I'm a dragon dancer, they'll assume I'm using babiri- this sometimes works in my favour, for players who try to status me instead of just sending out CB Scizor.

EDIT: Despite my great love for this as a breloom check, I was mainly just being stubborn at including my own set. With Gyara added, I really had no excuse, and Earthquake won out. :/

Lanturn @ Leftovers *Porcelina of the Vast Oceans*
52 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 56 Spe / 148 SpDef
Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
-Charge Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Substitute

How do you counter CM 3-attacks Suicune, Jolteon, Starmie, or even Agility Empoleon? For most, Blissey is the only counter, and for offensive teams, these Pokemon are uniformly problematic. Lanturn solves this by resisting the combination of Water, Electric and Ice and just being awesome. Not even the most anoying Pokemon in the game (Sub Twave Jirachi) beats this team, because Lanturn counters him too! Lanturn always has opportunities to switch in because of his unique typing. Once he gets a sub up, gliscor and salamence switch ins get the tables turned and are promptly KOed. Rinse and repeat.

But Lanturn really shines against stall. If I get the toxic spikes up with Roserade, they automatically lose- even without, I only need Blissey dead or weakened to plow through the team in its entirety. Lanturn can switch into any Blissey, preferably without Seismic Toss, but even with Lanturn has a chance.

The final service Lanturn provides is VOLT ABSORB. I can't stress enough how awesome it is to have somebody not only immune to thunder wave, but who benefits from it. Gyarados can lure in things like Jolteon and let Lanturn set up. Against offense, however, kills are mostly one at a time. But that's fine, because in the late game, he pulls his own weight by far.

Team Building Process- Creation

I obviously started with Lanturn.

The next two pokemon were decided on at roughly the same time- I wanted Gyarados, as a counter to most of Lanturn's counter, and Skarmory, to act as a spiker and enjoy perfect synergy with Lanturn.

I wanted a Pokemon that could lure out Lanturn's counters before I sent it out, so I could focus on eliminating it. Heatran was added.

I didn't exactly want my only bulky water slayer to be Lanturn. I also needed a solid counter for Gyarados, who currently gave my team a lot of trouble. Rotom was the next choice.

I performed a quick threats list run through and found Gengar, heatran and Infernape my biggest nuisances. Tyranitar was added to help alleviate this.

Team Building Process- Testing

I realized that neither Tyranitar or Skarmory were performing as desired... I changed Skarmory to a scarf Scizor to help me out with Infernape, Heatran and most importantly Gengar, and changed Tyranitar to a Lum Berry dragon dancer, to help with breloom and lure out Lanturn's counters.

As proud as I was of my Rotom set (I actually posted it in QC), after SDS shot it down I started losing faith in it. Basically, my core for the majority of the game (Heatran, Tyranitar and Gyarados) didn't like water types AT ALL. Rotom ended up dying in the early game, so they gave me a lot of trouble. I decided to have Heatran and Rotom switch places.

Rotom was still my weak chain! I decided to replace it for Celebi to strengthen my core (celetran, f/w/g).

(sorry, no pictures, I ran over the limit. but you get the picture, there's a roserade here over Celebi)
After I faced Roserade for somehow the first time in my testing (lol) I realized how damaging toxic spikes were to the team! I decided to add a Roserade of my own to absorb them.

Threats List, stolen from nobody, taken the top 50 threats from june stats
Black means handled well.
Orange means it can be trouble.
Red means it will always get a kill; big problem.

Heatran is usually a good counter, Lanturn can switch into bullet punch and set up, Gyarados sets up on him.

Gyarados is a good counter to him, Tyranitar usually fares well.

Like for everyone, he is somewhat problematic. Roserade can revenge him with HP Ice, Heatran can survive hit with shuca berry. Lanturn can hit him if behind substitute. I'm expecting a ban soon though, so I'm not as worried as I might be (he'd be orange otherwise).

Rotom can burn, Heatran can outspeed and kill with earth power, Roserade can revenge. DDTar's are pretty problematic though, I miss scizor :(

Rotom is my main counter. Roserade can revenge, Lanturn can hit if behind a substitute or if he only carries Bounce like mine. Gyarados can use intimidate if I'm in a tight spot.

Rotom usually outspeed and kills with shadow ball, provided some minour residual. Tyranitar can handle as long as there isn't Focus Blast.

Set up fodder for Lanturn. Heatran is also good counter.

Set-up fodder for Lanturn. Rotom is also a solid check. (NOTE: Why does everyone switch in flygon or jolteon into a choiced rotom if I just switched it into a starmie? Is the possibility that I use shadow ball, a move also super effective, so farfetch'd?)

Gyarados. Rotom can revenge.

Heatran is good counter with Shuca Berry. Gyarados stops those without thunderpunch. Rotom is always a good switch, can cripple with will of the wisp.

Roserade, set up fodder for gyara, maybe rotom?

Set-up fodder for Lanturn, Gyarados, Tyranitar. Rotom tricks.

Gyarados is my main switch, rotom is handy for the fighting immunity. I can work around him, but he always gets at least one kill.

Gyarados counters, rotom revenges.

Set-up fodder for Tyranitar, Lanturn counters.

Rotom can outspeed and shadow ball, Heatran resists most attacks. Loses as a lead.

Gyarados/Roserade takes sleep, switch to Rotom/Roserade to revenge.

Gyarados, Lanturn if behind sub, Roserade, Heatran with shuca.

Gyarados, Lanturn if behind sub, Heatran can survive weak earthquakes with shuca, Rotom.

Heatran, Lanturn, Rotom

Roserade, Lanturn, Rotom

Set-up fodder for Lanturn. Heatran, Rotom and Tyranitar can tolerate weaker hits.

Offensive variants are countered by Lanturn, Rotom can thunderbolt or trick most kinds.

Heatran, Rotom can revenge occasionally. Roserade can hit with hp ice if I keep it.

Heatran works, Tyrantar can eat thunder wave and procede, Rotom can revenge.

Can't trap anything. Lanturn sets up on him, heatran scares him off.

Tyranitar, Lanturn sets up on

Rotom can revenge +1 version or burn, Gyara can phaze and intimidate dragon dance versions.

Set-up fodder for Lanturn, not really threatening in general.

Heatran, Gyarados, Rotom, again not really threatening.

Heatran, Lanturn sets up, Tyranitar

Roserade beats it as a lead, Rotom revenges.

Lanturn switches in and sets up, usually don't get a boost.

Lanturn, Rotom revenges, it usually can't set up on anything

Gyarados, Heatran, Scizor

Ridiculously unthreatening to anyone in general. Lanturn sets up on, Rotom cna "revenge".

Ninjask is not a problem as a lead (where I assume he'll be played). Heatran, rotom.

Gyarados, Rotom can revenge.

Gyarados counters, heatran fires off powerful hidden powers and survives with shuca, roserade, even rotom.

I trick with rotom, gyarados can win 1on1 in the early stages.

Set-up fodder for Lanturn.

As a lead, he loses. Heatran, rotom, roserade/tar absorbs sleep.

Lose as leads- I can honestly say I've never seen one outside the lead.

Usually can't set up, Rotom can revenge if they somehow get "out of hand".

Gyarados, Rotom

Rotom can trick, Tyranitar

Had to totally re-edit threats list, so please excuse me if I accidentally mention scizor.

Special Thanks
I'd like to thank my tutor Plus- I never knew I could learn so much. My whole outlook on shoddy, team building and smogon in general has changed because of our sessions. If you are an intermediate battler and looking for a way to improve, don't ever overlook Smogon's apparently awesome tutoring program.

~finis​

Oh damn it, I love that Scizor. :( But I see that you're right, and I'll do some testing. I've always personally ran hp evs on my scarftoms too though, lol. But I think I'll try Rotom-w, so that I can still revenge tar with Hydro Pump.

Fire Punch is pretty redundant without Babiri Berry, so run either Babiri + Fire Punch or Lum + EQ.

This looks pretty solid so I'll probably come back for another rate later when I'm not so tired.

Fire Punch is pretty redundant without Babiri Berry, so run either Babiri + Fire Punch or Lum + EQ.

This looks pretty solid so I'll probably come back for another rate later when I'm not so tired.
Fire punch means Tyranitar is a check to Breloom, which I desperately love. :)

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Hello Smith,

Nice team and great descriptions for each pokemon of your choice, nice threat list as well as an elongated threat list. Your team is pretty solid and there isn't much to say beside few move sets and the noticeably big crocune weakness and how machamp lead can throw this team over.

Like BullDogs suggested I would prefer you to use scarf rotom with willow wisp to nail those incoming scarf tar switches. For example if you bring scarf rotom to revenge kill LO starmie the blatant user would switch to scarf tar or even flygon to absorb the incoming thunderbolt and instead you willow wisp. Using WoW over overheat would be the right choice on scarf rotom especially if you invest hp evs into it.

As for your pokemon movesets for heatran you generally need earthpower and having hp grass and explosion on the same set doesn't give you the basic coverage you need. I would suggest you use earth power over hp grass because your team handles swampert generally well and explosion can come in handy. For tyranitar you shouldn't be running fire punch if you use lum berry. I persuade you to use babiri berry if you chose to use fire punch if you stick with lum berry then switch fire punch to earthquake. Since after sr +1 tyranitar stone edge ohko's scizor.

Good Luck with the team
Smith

I am extremely upset that you didn't add in 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings'. One of the best songs on the album, and you didn't even add it (even though it's a perfect fit with Scizor).

Anyways, onto the rate. While Choice Scarf Scizor is always win, and I've used it quite a bit in the past, I think Choice Scarf Rotom-a can be a bit more helpful. It can Burn Kingdra not holding Lum Berry, beats out Gyarados, and can Trick its Scarf to Snorlax and Suicune to lock them into Curse/Calm Mind. Of course, by changing Scizor to Rotom-a, you gain a bigger weakness to Machamp, which is terrible. The fact that No Guard DynamicPunch hits even when you Bounce with Gyarados is annoying as hell. Sadly, I can't really suggest a counter to Machamp, because the best counters just don't fit this team at all (Slowbro, Slowking, Dusknoir, Spiritomb).

Fire Punch is slightly redundant, especially if you're using it to hit Breloom. What I would recommend is using Taunt over Fire Punch. Taunt shuts down Breloom, forcing it to either switch or use Focus Punch and get Flinched. Taunt also allows you to break Stall even harder, and gives Tyranitar even more chances to set-up (and get up to +2, which is just a beast).

Hidden Power [Grass] is unneeded on Heatran, since, without a Life Orb, you're not even netting a OHKO on Swampert, and you're gonna use Explosion on most Water-types regardless. Replacing it for Earth Power allows you to defeat other Heatran (as long as they aren't holding Shuca too). You might even want to try out Passho Berry, to take a Starmie/Suicune Surf (if you're in relatively good health) and KO back with Explosion. Of course, that leaves you open to Ground-type, but it's a trade-off.

Oh, and for your Lead Analysis, why don't you just Sleep Powder Aerodactyl and prevent Stealth Rock completely? Most Metagross will use Meteor Mash to 2HKO Roserade, so switching to Heatran will help, especially considering, if they didn't switch out Metagross (meaning they don't fear Sleep Powder, cause of Lum), you can KO with Fire Blast. You're gonna want to be cautious of Lead Jirachi with Fire Punch, since they defeat Roserade and Scizor if you predict wrong. And if they're Thunder Wave Jirachi, then Scizor is completely crippled.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope you put this info to good use.

Thank you everyone for suggesting! TSP, please allow me to extend my most sincere apologies for excluding the second best song on the album, it totally slipped my mind for some reason when I thought of the album. Scizor shall be christened it, and Tyranitar shall become "Zero".

Onto the actual rates. Scarf scizor and I, we're tight, we're homedogs, but I can see that you are all entirely right. I've conducted testing and found him to be the best replacement for him at the moment. I'm not enjoying editing that threats list though. :(

Heatran, yeah, he can have earth power, but HP Grass is just so much fun. Reluctantly I'll change that as well.

I'm putting my foot down on Tyranitar though folks. I don't enjoy breloom and I'd rather him be weak to Scizor and Jirachi than freakin' breloom, I mean, come on, a Tyranitar that counters Breloom? That's awesome.

You don't need Fire Punch on TTar to hit Breloom since Heatran and Rotom-W can both beat and one can activate Sleep Clause. Additionally if Tyranitar takes a Mach Punch it will take a lot of damage and that will ruin its chances of sweeping.

Small error I noticed. You said that you can switch into Breloom with Tyranitar. That...that ain't happening. If they run enough Speed to out-speed you, you're fucked. They use Spore once, you switch in, shrug it off with Lum, then they Spore again. GG. Even worse if they go for Substitute first, since that means they can fire off Spore or Focus Punch at their leisure.

I don't think TTar is a Breloom check under any circumstances, no matter whether you switch into it or not. Although rare, Mach Punch does huge damage:

78.4% - 92.4%

That has a chance to ohko if you switch into sr.

If the Breloom subs or Focus Punches when you switch in it is GG for ttar. I don't see why you are running Fire Punch + Lum Berry when you have two checks to Breloom in Heatran and Rotom-W. Simply run Lum +EQ or Babiri + Fire Punch. And I also don't see why you are concentrating on something as uncommon as Breloom when you could be worrying about Scizor or grounded steels such as metagross.

| 16 | Breloom | 115503 | 11.56 |
| 1 | Scizor | 251940 | 25.21 |
| 10 | Metagross | 152932 | 15.30 |

I don't think TTar is a Breloom check under any circumstances, no matter whether you switch into it or not. Although rare, Mach Punch does huge damage:

78.4% - 92.4%

That has a chance to ohko if you switch into sr.

If the Breloom subs or Focus Punches when you switch in it is GG for ttar. I don't see why you are running Fire Punch + Lum Berry when you have two checks to Breloom in Heatran and Rotom-W. Simply run Lum +EQ or Babiri + Fire Punch. And I also don't see why you are concentrating on something as uncommon as Breloom when you could be worrying about Scizor or grounded steels such as metagross.

| 16 | Breloom | 115503 | 11.56 |
| 1 | Scizor | 251940 | 25.21 |
| 10 | Metagross | 152932 | 15.30 |
Scizor is a Salamence check, even though Fire Blast kills it without even an afterthought. Mach Punch isn't really run that often, and honestly I'm not that worried about scizor or metagross either. Look, the point of Tyranitar isn't to sweep entire teams, Lanturn usually manages that, but to just break through or damage Lanturn's counter's before he attempts a sweep. I'm sorry, I'm not getting rid of Fire Punch, it's more on principle than anything. Breloom is a pain, unlike scizor and metagross, and if I can dispose of him without anybody falling asleep, then it's worth the moveslot.

I'm more than a little interested in your type synergy and gameplay strategem. Heatran checks a lot of pokes and because of its typing, it has great synnergy with gyarados. But Gyara is taking a lot of damage with stealth rock and sandstorm both likely in play on the day to day, and lanturn is your fallback, giving you a dual weakness to ground, and ground/rock is a common attacking pair. I would recommend gliscor for Gyara's slot, who checks many of the same pokemon but can also run roost for longevity, and has a water and ice weakness for Lanturn to press into. You also have a dragon dancer that sets up on almost every special wall and special attacker as is in t-tar. ill rate more later, I gotta work, but it just seems like your team wears down over time against a smart player.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Spork now Smith. It's been a while since teaching you the ropes. I'm not sure how well you have improved, but by the looks of it I can see some really nice progress :).

Generally, if you aren't using Gyarados to sweep teams, and are using it for a more "hold the team together" niche, then Dragon Dance Gyarados probably isn't the ideal set for you to run. Gyarados is an important glue to your team, as it provides an easy backbone for you to switch between things and hit things relatively hard on the switch. Machamp leads are quite annoying for this team, as they can beat out Roserade or Heatran depending on how you play it, and you're slowly chipping down your Gyarados's health if you opt to switch to that in order to force it out (which is the most ideal move for your team anyways). With Stealth Rock eventually on the field, you will slowly lose your best switch in to pokemon like Infernape and Flygon.

A quick fix to this would be to run Restalk Gyarados. While a rather defensive pokemon it helps you stay above the water and isn't really a sitting duck. If you don't really mind losing the power then Gyarados would be ideal in fixing potential problems such a lack of a phazer, a lack of a decent go-to pokemon in this team, and the longevity issues. This way, you can switch Gyarados into Machamp a lot easier than you used to, phaze out threatening sweepers before they attempt to sweep your team, namely things like SD Lucario or DD Kingdra, etc.

I don't want to change too much right now because I think your team has hit enough of a peak with your current strategy, so that would be about it.

Gyarados@lefties
impish 244 hp / 252 def / 12 spe
Waterfall / rest / sleep talk / roar

I'm proud that you have changed your outlook on shoddy, team building, and smogon as well! It was a pleasure teaching you.

Technomaster, I'm honestly not too concerned about Quakeslide as a reason for changing Gyarados. He's working fine, and I'm more concerned about certain concrete threats than a type combination. Yes, DD Tar is the team's biggest issue right now, but it would make me even more weak to any team with two water types (Gyarados and Suicune aren't so uncommon).

And Plus, honestly I wasn't sure if having a normally stall oriented Pokemon would cause a problem on a more offensive team, but I did consider using him at times. Of course the team isn't really that offensive anyways (Lanturn's the main sweeper for God's sake!), so I'll consider him strongly. :)

EDIT: Giving me a decent status absorber in RestTalk gyara, I'll also test Earthquake on Tyranitar as well, because I'm now so well prepared for him I really don't need fire punch (and I was just being stubborn anyway).

Alright I'm back to finish my rate. I second the suggestion of resttalk gyara. A bulkier Starmie with recover can fill a similar role, prioritizing rapid spin over phazing. Plus pointed out exactly what I was talking about; the team feels like it wears out against bulky offense. Explosion on heatran is a second point of contention for me. It feels like to use that move as an emergency check for random pokemon like swampert is a waste of such good attacking stats and resistances. I would prefer HP ice (dragons) or HP Electric for bulky waters (roserade handles swampert well enough to make HP grass a non-issue).

The last change I'd like to make is for you to switch out Rotom for Gengar, keeping a similar set.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Modest / 252 satk / 252 speed
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Trick/Hidden Power

Rotom is great, but Gengar has focus blast and outspeeds DDTar in a pinch, and works much better in the endgame (and after it has used Trick) due to higher base speed and power. Let me know what you think! -Techno

Alright I'm back to finish my rate. I second the suggestion of resttalk gyara. A bulkier Starmie with recover can fill a similar role, prioritizing rapid spin over phazing. Plus pointed out exactly what I was talking about; the team feels like it wears out against bulky offense. Explosion on heatran is a second point of contention for me. It feels like to use that move as an emergency check for random pokemon like swampert is a waste of such good attacking stats and resistances. I would prefer HP ice (dragons) or HP Electric for bulky waters (roserade handles swampert well enough to make HP grass a non-issue).

The last change I'd like to make is for you to switch out Rotom for Gengar, keeping a similar set.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Modest / 252 satk / 252 speed
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Trick/Hidden Power

Rotom is great, but Gengar has focus blast and outspeeds DDTar in a pinch, and works much better in the endgame (and after it has used Trick) due to higher base speed and power. Let me know what you think! -Techno
Thank you for the suggestions, but I honestly just don't like scarf gengar for this team. Rotom is much better at holding the team together, and is also my best Gyarados counter, something I can't afford to lose due to Gengar's paper defenses. And honestly the scenarios under which I'd use electric or Ice are slim and highly situational.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)