SS OU Melmetal and the BOIS (trick room BO)

Is Melmetal balanced?

• Total voters
Hello! My name is Gzus, competitive player since gen 5 and pretty much just now got into team building and RMT. it probably sucks I'm not very good at it, but hey, lets try. Forgive me if my explanations are weak and my reasoning doesn't seem clear, I'll do my best to bring.

:melmetal: :mimikyu: :conkeldurr: :hatterene: :seismitoad: :dragapult:

I originately built this team around the core of Mimikyu, Melmetal, and Conkeldurr. Mimikyu is one of my favorite pokemon, but i never found a really good use for it.

When home released I realized that Melmetal is a completely healthy and balanced pokemon offered a great option for a bulky walbreaker that could take perfect advantage of trick room and this generation's tendency to build around hyper offence/balance and the fact stall still sucks. Let's get into it.

:ss/melmetal:
I Lift in a Society (Melmetal) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch/Rock Slide​

What can I say, this Pokemon is balanced. Its massive bulk coupled with it's attack and signature move has to be one of the greatest things to ever come out of the minds of gamefreak. with a band it OHKO's or 2HKOs basically every Pokemon in the tier and is the star of the team. Double Iron bash destroys fairys like other mimikyu, clefable, hatterene, etc and destroys everything else neutrally. Earthquake is there to hit the ground or fire types that may come in on it like :aegislash:. Superpower provides adequate fighting type coverage for things like air balloon :excadrill: and the like. Thunder punch/rock slide is kind of a toss up, I originally ran thunder punch for things like :corviknight: (does a max of 71.5%to fully devensive corv), and :Toxapex:. However, rock slide covers one of melmetals only other checks, :Rotom-heat: Either move is a solid option. Under trick room this Pokemon also adequately checks another balanced pokemon, :kyurem-black:
Get Melmetal in, click button, something dies, simple.
:ss/mimikyu:
Brinana Princess (Mimikyu) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Trick Room
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak/Shadow claw​
Next up we have Mimikyu. Being pretty much the best trick room setter in the game, it finally gave me a reason to use it out of the 90000 Mimikyu my wife seems to hoard. At first I ran max speed but I realized the HP and attack investments were more valuable, so I slapped a life orb on it and called it a day. It's a pretty standard Mimikyu set, Trick room is obvious, coupled with disguise it give you a guaranteed set up. Play rough for hard hitting stab, and shadow sneak for priority. The HP investment really helps with its neutrality to the now ever present knock off, and swords dance+shadow sneak really helps with late game cleanups, revenge killing, or set ups on the switch. Shadow claw is an option, but creates a bit of an over-reliance on having trick room up ( although it does OHKO :dragapult: and :gengar:)

:ss/Conkeldurr:
What leg day? (Conkeldurr) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch/Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Facade​
I shed a tear when my boi finally got knock off. The first two mons in this core obviously get shredded by things like :excadrill:, :tyranitar:, :bisharp:, etc. so the obvious answer was Conk. This mon is a premier wallbreaker in the tier and a beautiful option for trick room, and can also somewhat check opposing other: Melmetal. I run Drain Punch for the recovery however Close combat OHKOs said :melmetal: 100% of the time if not invested defensively. Mach Punch gives the team another form of powerful STAB priority, and knock of (thnk you pokemon home ;_;) is a beautiful tool for when you force switches and gives the team extra breathing room to work. Facade is in general a good powerful filler move that lets you get significant damage on things like :clefable: that like to switch in on it, forcing them to waste a turn on your switch for wish or softboiled.
:ss/Hatterene:
HRH Bubblegum (Hatterene) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mystical Fire
- Draining Kiss
- Future Sight/Psychic
- Trick Room​

On to Hatterene. This slot was originally occupied by by banded :crawdaunt:, however I realized I needed a second setter because I'm bad.
Unfortunately this gen lacks a lot of reliable and safe TR setters, however with the lack of hazard removal on my team, Hatterene seemed to be a safe option here. I feel however as though the ev spread and maybe a move or two could be replaced. Mystical fire allows for the fire coverage and coupled with magic bounce essentially makes :ferrothorn: useless. Draining kiss is for the stab and recovery (why it doesnt get moonblast I'll never know). Future sight is the tech since I didn't really like psychic and it allows you to play mind games on how your opponent switches around. Trick room because, well, its a trick room team. The life orb was for the extra power as the concept is trick room offense, however, draining kiss isn't very powerful in its own right and future sight is a two turn move, opting for leftovers is perfectly adequate here.
:ss/seismitoad:
Fuck Dracovish (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect​
This is a mon i am open to replacing, but am struggling with as it provides a lot of value. Stealth Rock is absolutely crucial to this team as well as the immunity as people are now starting to sleep on :dracovish: and :keldeo: is running around the tier. Scald, is also crucial for burn fishing. Toxic allows me to put a timer on potential threats and protect allows me to scout, burn a toxic turn, or try to get some recovery back. It is also fully defensive bold and can tank a non banded Double iron bash as well as provide additional checks to the aforementioned threats. I wanted :toxapex: or :mandibuzz: here but they get wrecked by things :kyurem-black: or :zeraora:

:ss/dragapult:
B-52 (Dragapult) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt/fire blast
- Shadow Ball
OR
:ss/dragapult:
B-52 (Dragapult) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
And for the last member we have Dragapult. This is essentially the insurance for the team and the mon to pivot with/fall back on if trick room ends. I also very much like the sub disable hex set for this slot, bit its really up to your preference. Sub disable gives a lot of utility and room to wiggle and the specs set really allows you to just bomb shit. It's a matter of preference. I put both sets up here for you guys to decide, but the burns on certain threats seem pretty crucial to clean up with.

And that's it. All constructive criticism is welcome and will be considered. Also I don't ladder very much because I'm bad so i would appreciate if someone took this team for a spin on the ladder for me. Thanks for reading!

Keep in mind this team does rely on switching properly and sacking properly, much like an HO team, do not predict wrecklessly

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)