ORAS UU Meloetta-P Based Offense

I'm so sorry for this guys

Introduction

Hi everyone, i'm Reigako and this is my 2nd RMT !

This time, i decided to build something kinda different, around a VoltTurn core and obviously, the main pokemon of the team : Meloetta-Pirouette !

Meloetta-Pirouette is one of the pokemons that needs the most support to work well, as she absolutely needs to transform to be effective. However, if she can transform, if your opponent doesn't have something like Aggron-M that can tank it, or a good revenge killer, the game will come to an end.

That's why i decided to build this thing. I didn't ladd with it yet as i'm not a fond of laddering, but i wonder what ladder i can reach :p

The Team

Meloetta-Pirouette @
Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Return
- Knock Off

She's one of the hardest pokemons to play well, as she's very hard to setup, but with a little anticipation and VoltTurn support, she can really shine as a very powerful late-game sweeper as she outspeeds pretty much everything that's not Scarf or full speed Aero/Crobat/Beedrill-M/Sceptile-M.

The EV Spread allows me to outspeed most variants of Crobat and Aerodactyl before Mega-Evolution, so i can deal a little more damage with Relic Song. I won't outspeed anything else relevant tho.

I chose Life Orb to deal the most damage possible with all moves, even if it makes her even weaker to passive damage such as SR, Spikes, or TOX.

Cobalion @
Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

One of the best teammates for Meloetta-P. Its typing allows him to deal with things such as Florges or Beedrill, which are huge threats for Meloetta.

He can also setup Stealth Rock and pivot with Volt Switch, which is very useful for the team.
Shuca Berry allows me to check threats such as Mamoswine that i can't deal with without it, and is a good item on lot of Steel-types in this tier imo.

Hydreigon @
Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Even if i usually prefer the LO version, the Scarfer works better here, as i need a strong revenge killer. Its Dragon-type is really a blessing for the team, as it can switch in most Scald users without fearing BRN that much, even if i have to watch out for passive damage that can wear it down.

I thought about changing it to a Modest variant, as Timid Hydreigon doesn't outspeed much more relevant threats when scarfed, but i would feel weak to enemy scarf Hydreigon, and i'm kinda lucky with ties so it would be a shame not using that.

Crobat @
Sharp Beak
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

My Defogger. Sharp Beak Crobat is an offensive alternative to the Black Sludge version, and works pretty well on offensive teams.
Crobat normally packs Taunt on Defog, but i needed a fast Defogger that can deal with the likes of Mienshao and stuff like that.

My spread also allows me to outspeed standard 44 HP EVs Crobat to Defog before it can Taunt mine.
U-Turn is also mandatory to grab the more momentum that i can.

Mienshao @
Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

LO Mienshao was an obvious add from here : He has very good damage, that allows him to deal with bulkier mons that i coulnd't handle with the rest of the team.

High Jump Kick has almost no switch-ins in the tier. Also, i feel that Poison Jab isn't that useful at it can't kill a full health Florges, so i play Stone Edge to deal with Crobat.

As my team isn't very bulky, i prefer the Regenerator variant to reliably check threats without losing too much health.

Chandelure @
Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

From here i felt very weak to Entei, so i decided to get another wallbreaker in the team : Chandelure. Virtue to its typing and access to Flash Fire, Chandelure practically counters Entei (still weak to Stone Edge tho) which is a huge threat to my team, and it can just come, spam Sacred Fire and switch out.

Not much to explain here in fact, as Chandelure Specs job is just to spam Fire Blast and it will kill pretty much everything that's not specially bulky.

I thought about changing it into a SubCM variant, so it could be another win condition with Meloetta-P.

Threatlist

: Entei is a huge threat to this team. I don't really have any switch-ins bar Chandelure, but the Entei player can predict the switch and use Stone Edge, which will often leads to 50/50.

: Regular CroCune can sweep through my team if Chandelure or Mienshao are gone, as they are the only one that can reliably 2HKO her (They still fear Scald however).

(Scarf only) : Scarf Darmanitan can revenge kill everything in my team, and a switch-in will be pretty much one kill. He can also gain momentum by U-Turning, which is very dangerous as my team can't lose momentum.

(Scarf only) : Like Darmanitan, that furnace just come, and spam Overheat or Volt Switch. Not much to say otherwise, it is exactly the same as Darmanitan with a bit less damage.

Meloetta-Pirouette @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Return
- Knock Off

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Crobat @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Thank you all for reading and hope you'll like this team !

Last edited:
I have quite a few suggestions, as you do have an interesting team. It's clear you want an offensive build, which means Entei will be very hard to switch into, however, you seem to side more towards balanced offense rather than hyper offense. The idea for using a Meloetta-Pirouette is quite interesting. And I think it should be the sole fighting type on the team so that you limit the amount of common weakness throughout your team. Even though Meloetta begins as a normal/psychic type, Melo is by no means fast until Pirouette and has the unfortunate downside of lower defense before using relic song. I agree with your set for Melo though. The only other thing you might want to consider is using meloetta to pivot with u-turn as well. You can also try secret power over return, as you have 60% chance to paralyze something thanks to Serene Grace. One other mention is that you don't need the SpA investment, as you won't be using relic song but once or twice. And in Pirouette form, nature+ 232 speed will actually speed tie with Crobat and Aero prior to mega evolution, as it is common for them to hit 385 speed if not max speed or bulky. This allows you 20 free EVs you can put into HP, Speed, or whatever. Cobalion, though a good teammate for Melo-P, has a weaker special defense, and rather than worrying about Mega Drill or Florges, I would worry more about Mega Blastoise or Mega Swampert, whose coverage can really frustrate your team. Cobalion won't be able to continually switch into Mega Drill unless it comes in on a poison jab. You also lose momentum if you take its u-turn on a counter. Drill Run is also the preferred move as opposed to knock off on Mega Drill thanks to its great coverage, which wouldn't beat the Shuca berry variant, but that's not a problem seeing as MegaDrill outspeeds and can just u-turn out next turn in the scenario that your opponent predicts the cobalion counter to a u-turn or p-jab. I think that you might see more effectiveness if you opted using Mega-Aggron, Forretress, or Rocky Helmet/Leftovers Druddigon. Another option would be to use Suicune, which would probably be best, as it beats and counters Entei and Darm all on its own and gives some ease to your team. For HO, I recommend Druddigon since it could use a glare+D-tail+Iron Head/Fire Punch+SR set to spread paralysis to at least one or two things (even ground types thanks to glare) and it would be annoying with rough skin in general. Forretress though would provide you with a slow volt switch, an extremely useful way to grab momentum. Forretress would also deal with any common fairy type in the tier as well as threaten to OHKO Mega-Beedrill, Aero without fire coverage, and punch small holes into mons that don't resist its Gyro Ball. It also gives you a way to check several choice scarf pokemon, such as Mienshao. Hydreigon is a great fit to your team. It provides much needed power and coverage that your team would otherwise lack. "Drop a Draco." - PokeaimMD
Crobat either does well or doesn't do enough depending on your matchup. It does not enjoy seeing Suicune, Scarf Rotom, Mamoswine, Intimidate Mence, among other potent threats in the tier. You might be better off changing this up for a Zapdos, as that would provide you with a soft check/counter to the always-annoying-as-ever-Suicune. You mentioned that Mienshao was a problem, but the scarfed variant can catch crobat with a well predicted stone edge, which really just makes the need for speed on it as a defogger less important (not that it negates the reasoning for high speed+defog at all.) Volt Switch/Heat Wave or HP Ice or Air Cutter (flying type moves in this tier have incredible neutral coverage, but I recommend Heat Wave for the fire coverage if you aren't using an offensive variant, namely choice specs)/Roost/Defog while holding leftovers or life orb (depends on your spread preference). HP ice would aid you in hitting ground types, grass types, and dragon types, namely Salamence, which can setup on non-offensive Zapdos lacking the move. Heat Wave hits grass types with more power than HP Ice and enables you to put pressure on steel types, such as Mega-Aggron or Cobalion. Air Cutter would be used if you wanted a way to cover a majority of the meta for neutral damage as well as a way of clipping fighting types, such as NP Infernape and AV Machamp. I just feel that you need a better way to deal with bulky water types in general. Zapdos is a pretty good solution for that. You can also use HP Grass if you have problems with Mega-Pert. The mienshao just seems out of place when you consider the fact you already have two wall breakers, multiple fighting types, and your team has problems with Crocune, Entei, Darm, and Rotom-Heat. I also feel as though Mega Aero will give your team a headache, as it outspeeds everything bar Scarf Hydreigon and can revenge kill a majority of your team on its own depending on its moveset. Meloetta also needs to be in Pirouette form prior to Aero's mega evolution as well, which is a bit easier to say than do in practice I feel. Mienshao could very easily be replaced with Krookodile, Mamoswine, Mega-Swampert, or Feraligatr. Looking back at my own suggestions, Mamoswine would just bash things over the head with its superpowered attack and be able to give you priority in ice shard as well as provide rocks. Krookodile, though a second dark type, would be useful with intimidate and it would be incredibly useful to your team as a way of providing rocks, utility through Knock Off, and the much needed ground coverage for your team. Mega-Pert would be best suited for the team if you ran Forretress or Druddigon as it could act either as a tank or a terrifying cleaner with rain dance. Feraligatr would be a good sweeper and can threaten a good majority of the tier. It can pair well with Hydreigon and Chandelure, as it takes care of most opposing water types, can set up on fairy types not named that-god-damn-whimsicott, scare various ground types to leave, and hard check most fire types. I think that Chandelure works well on this team. It blows things back that it outspeeds and potentially cripples things that can wall it. The main downside is getting locked into a move and being outsped. If I had a recommendation, it would be to use Zam, NP Infernape/Houndoom Mega, or NP Azelf. I don't think you should change Chandelure at all though. It's fine as it is as long as you don't mind having the 2nd choice user.

Given my suggestions, I think that the best path to take for this kind of offense would be in a way that you don't have to run Defog on Zapdos, which means you would need to use Rapid spin on Forretress, which I don't feel is completely necessary if you think that Zapdos running defog would provide better support. Suicune still looks like a slight issue though. I think that if you ran a Sub+SD Mega-Sceptile, you could set up a sub on most Crocune (the offensive variants carry ice beam) that haven't gotten 4 calm minds off as long as you could find a way to bring it in without getting burned (forretress would work the best for that unless you think that you can sack chandelure to it to get a free sub). And that would turn Sceptile into a dangerous threat. The main drawback to this solution though, is that you introduce a 3rd ice weakness, which isn't generally pleasant. If you wanted to use rapid spin on forretress as the only hazard control for your team, then you could just run LO zapdos with roost and 3 attacks. I really like your team, but there are a few clear changes that need to happen to avoid being stuck in an unfair matchup. Simply, your coverage needs to broaden more. So, here's what I think the best look for your team would be, and of course, you can mess around with the other suggestions until you find something you prefer using:

Meloetta-Pirouette @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Secret Power / Return / Facade (for toxic) / U-turn

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Air Cutter / Heat Wave / Hidden Power Ice
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
(Leftovers can be used over life orb if the recoil is unwanted)

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 220 Atk / 8 Def / 28 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake / Crunch
(Life orb is fine as well, but I chose lum berry as the item to allow it to set up and take status 1 time from something.)

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

I hope the suggestions were beneficial. Let me know what you think and if I misinterpreted the purpose of your team or the playstyle of it. If you want to discuss or analyze further to come up something, go ahead and speculate or leave some feedback. One thing that I seriously want to make a note of though, is that Meloetta-P wasn't changed much due to the fact that this team is based around it; however, I really think that you could use a much more powerful fighting type in place of meloetta-p. Scarfed Reckless Mienshao works wonderfully in its place I think. Anyway... Best of luck to you mate.
-Complicating

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)