Serious Mental and Physical Health Thread

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Physical and Mental Health

Welcome to the Physical and Mental Health Thread! The primary purpose for this thread is to provide support, advice, and reassurance to those suffering with mental and physical health problems. If you feel worried, hopeless, or distressed about your health, finding a support group is one of the most important things you can do. You’re also welcome to share your history with mental or physical health problems, provide general coping input to those who feel distressed, and offer your own experiences with others’ problems.

An important thing to remember, however, is that no advice given in this thread should be regarded as professional advice. You can ask for advice or help to diagnose or cope with your health problems, but please, do not take anything as fact instead of consulting with a medical professional. If you have a serious problem, we can act as a support system, but your primary help should come from a medical professional. If there is an emergency or a sudden, serious situation, your first step should be to call 911 / a medical professional / an ambulance, not to post about it on Smogon.

A couple discussion topics to start you guys off:

1. What coping techniques have helped you to accept and overcome your physical or mental health problems? Do you have a mantra/philosophy that helps you deal with and overcome these problems?
  2. At what point did you realize that you had a mental or physical health problem, and what actions did you take upon discovering it? Did you feel the most frightened or distressed when it started? Have you consulted a medical professional?

Hi everyone! Hopefully we can get some discussion going and people will feel free to open up here, no matter where they're at or how positive/negative they're feeling. :) So I figured I'd start off and try to be as open as I can. My mental health and physical health are both major parts of my life. (note: self-harm, etc.)

I just went to my therapist today, so I guess I have stuff to talk about! I have longstanding depression and other mental illnesses, so I've been seeing my therapist for a year. I've had a lot of bad experiences with therapists in the past, mainly due to them not limiting my mother's interference when I was a minor, but now I'm an adult I felt like it was time to go again because I needed some professional support from someone whose job it is to listen (which helps a lot, because I hate to feel like a burden) and empathise. I made up my mind that if I didn't like my therapist, I'd keep looking, but my initial search was pretty good and we hit it off! Over the last year I've struck up a great rapport with my therapist and she's been there for me through some immensely difficult times. During this year I've struggled with suicidal and self-harming episodes and a lot of changes in my life (going back full-time to university, learning to end toxic friendships and starting to learn to preserve the ones I care about, learning to communicate how I'm feeling, my abusive father finally getting kicked out)... they're positive changes, but they've come fraught with a lot of turmoil.

Well, I feel like I'm getting somewhere! I believe that I've become stronger, more easily able to tell people what I think and defend my boundaries, develop the self-esteem needed to do that, and learned a lot of coping techniques to deal with my excessive emotion and anxiety (in conjunction with therapy). I can work through my episodes more constructively; I don't remember the last time I researched suicide, which used to be my sole coping mechanism (as part of intellectualising all the intense emotions I felt and couldn't handle). Being busy at university and doing something I'm passionate about has helped motivate me as well. We're probably going to discontinue regular therapy after our next appointment and see how I go for awhile, with the proviso I can go back if I need it. I agree I'm more self-sufficient now and would like to try it, and think it's a positive reflection on how I've been doing. I definitely still have bad times, really bad, but what's changed is how I cope with them.

I used to be on antidepressants, by the way, for about seven years, but I'm not sure how much they helped (especially years later), and I can't take SSRIs because of my epilepsy (and there's no trustworthy psychiatrist in my area to look into other antidepressants). I do take a very low dose of a benzo but that's for my epilepsy and I'm not sure what effect it's had.

Going back to university has been taxing physically too. I've been sick for a long time and I use a walking frame, which makes getting around pretty hard. This year has been with the aim to move out and for me to gain independence, because my mother is basically my carer. There are some super obnoxious accessibility problems at my university, particularly in the older buildings where I attend my biology lectures, but I'm looking into level access to the front of the lecture hall (since I can't see/hear otherwise). I've also had to get some extensions a few times because of periodic sickness (mostly clusters of seizures), which was nervewracking and embarrassing at first, but I'm fortunate to have very empathetic professors, and the disability services at my university are great (after I contacted them, I was able to get stuff like live captioning at intensive schools, break times in my exams, and so on). I've also dealt with the student support team when I've had anxiety problems with things and they were great.

So if there's anyone out there worrying about access at their universities/colleges, I'd strongly urge you to survey what it's like at your school and get in touch, it's their job to help you and stuff you might think doesn't 'count' the same as a traditional physical disability like chronic anxiety issues or autism/Asperger's or ADHD can be accommodated for.

I have some doctor appointments I have to travel for next week, but I'm feeling quite optimistic about my progress right now. Of course, nobody feels 100% wonderful all the time so I still have to be careful, but just lifting your head above the water and breathing again for a day, let alone for months, can be amazing when you're so used to sinking.

I indirectly answered the questions there, but more specifically: I try to take things as they come and do what I can to control things on my end. Whether this means planning around my illnesses as best as I can, or working through my emotional reactions (to physical illness or to anything else)... I know there are things I can't change, so I focus on the things I can. I try my hardest to be brave enough to ask for help when I need it as well. Above all, sometimes you go two steps back and one step forward, but I aim to forgive myself and keep trying; I'll get there eventually. It's going pretty well :)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I've used a walking frame before, due to inappropriate medication...
though I'm still reluctant to tell Smogon (ie: quite public) about what it was due to privacy issues.

Asia as a whole is not too supportive to people with disabilities. Not even "traditional" ones like blindness/ deafness, etc.
Universities lack facilities. It has always been difficult.
However, the good side was the university allowed me to ride on the Rehab bus, so I didn't need to walk to my lectures.
Goes directly from my dorm to the lectures, and also from lecture halls to other lecture halls/ labs, etc.

I try to take things as they come and do what I can to control things on my end. Whether this means planning around my illnesses as best as I can, or working through my emotional reactions (to physical illness or to anything else)... I know there are things I can't change, so I focus on the things I can. I try my hardest to be brave enough to ask for help when I need it as well. Above all, sometimes you go two steps back and one step forward, but I aim to forgive myself and keep trying; I'll get there eventually. It's going pretty well :)
What you're embracing is bold and beautiful. You sound like you're doing awesome!!

I was in high school when I had my major breakdown and started battling depression. I went to therapy, took pills, rationalized, meditated, analyzed, went to workshops, attended spiritual retreats and talked to myself in the shower for some 10 years... until a couple of weeks ago I found peace and "graduated" from my psych. I feel like I combed right through my heart and what I found is the perspective jumpluff is talking about above. Now I have the chance to see the world through those eyes and I'm inspired to open up and help others- everyone please feel free to ask me anything! I have experience with suicidal thoughts, idolizing, bullying, projecting expectations, fear of failure, manipulation, self-deprecation, sexual deviance, grief, and all sorts of human stuff, so don't be shy and let's share!

My main coping tool has been to rationalize, and lately what I've found most freeing is Zen.

I constantly avoid eye contact and people can irritate me with little things like standing too close to me. My biggest thing is lots of noises. I get really mad in my head when theres to many noises going on at once. These symptoms come and go and vary in strength quite alot, and they dont often get to a point where they affect my life.
I believe i have some sort of mental illness, probably autism from what ive read. any input would be apreciated

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was recently diagnosed with panic disorder after suffering a panic attack in engineering class. I hadn't even suffered from one panic attack before that point and I believe use of adderall to get my homework done may have contributed to the development, but that's beside the point. Either way, I've had to stop overworking myself, which means I've had to use a schedule to stop myself from procrastinating. So far, that's been working out well.

Also, lately I've been experiencing symptoms that, when I looked into it, are symptomatic of PTSD. I'm not sure if it can even be PTSD, though, as the only major traumatic event that happened in my life that I can think of happened when I was two days old. But basically, whenever exposed to the issue, I have intense episodes of anger and/or anxiety. I've had to make sure I avoid reminders of the trauma, which is hard considering I live every day with such a reminder. I have to take sleep aids as otherwise I have trouble sleeping, but even then I regularly have nightmares related to the trauma. I also feel detached from both of my parents; I've even attempted to outright avoid them and any person who would allow what happened to me to happen to their kids. I'm also extremely irritable and have an exaggerated startle response. I eventually ended up having to force myself to talk to my mom about this and she's trying to get me professional help, but at this rate I'll probably have to seek help at my school's student health services. This issue has just really been bringing me down lately, and if I could get input it'd be appreciated.

KM

slayification
I was recently diagnosed with panic disorder after suffering a panic attack in engineering class. I hadn't even suffered from one panic attack before that point and I believe use of adderall to get my homework done may have contributed to the development, but that's beside the point. Either way, I've had to stop overworking myself, which means I've had to use a schedule to stop myself from procrastinating. So far, that's been working out well.

Also, lately I've been experiencing symptoms that, when I looked into it, are symptomatic of PTSD. I'm not sure if it can even be PTSD, though, as the only major traumatic event that happened in my life that I can think of happened when I was two days old. But basically, whenever exposed to the issue, I have intense episodes of anger and/or anxiety. I've had to make sure I avoid reminders of the trauma, which is hard considering I live every day with such a reminder. I have to take sleep aids as otherwise I have trouble sleeping, but even then I regularly have nightmares related to the trauma. I also feel detached from both of my parents; I've even attempted to outright avoid them and any person who would allow what happened to me to happen to their kids. I'm also extremely irritable and have an exaggerated startle response. I eventually ended up having to force myself to talk to my mom about this and she's trying to get me professional help, but at this rate I'll probably have to seek help at my school's student health services. This issue has just really been bringing me down lately, and if I could get input it'd be appreciated.
Hey Adamant Zoroark!

I know very little about PTSD in general, but I suffer from a wide array of anxiety disorders (i'll make a longer post later, maybe), and I know how scary they can be. I would definitely recommend getting professional help, even if it's just what's offered at your school; it's hard to understand how much a therapist can help without ever going to one, but it really is substantial. I'm glad to hear you've been able to stick to a schedule to help calm your panic, and the only concrete help I can give you is probably stuff you've already heard; generally healthy behavior like getting heavy exercise, eating right, sticking to a disciplined sleep schedule, and reducing stress in general is all the more important when you're suffering with stuff like this. It's not curative in the short term, but over the long term it'll help a lot in managing this kind of stuff.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I very rarely post here, but this thread definitly caught my attention, probably because I've had a lot of mind lately.

First of all, I'd like to say that the posts here have been really interesting so far and I wish the best for everyone of you regarding your issues, special thanks to Vyre's post, which I found really uplifting.

As for myself, I've always been really optimist and the kind of guy who tries his best encouraging others, especially since my brother suffers from anxiety/stress for a while now. I'm also most of the time pretty confident about myself and my future.

However, some weeks ago, I had trouble falling asleep and I started feeling anxious thinking about many stuff. I had anxious thoughts about myself and I just couldn't get them out of my mind. I felt lik I was overwhelmed by intrusive thoughts, such as "what if I don't find enjoyement in anything and start feeling extremely depressed and/or suicidal". I managed to fall asleep anyway, but since then, I've had troubles returning to my "usual" state of mind. I kept feeling lost in thoughts, I had trouble focusing on whatever used to occupy my mind before and it felt like I had to fight my thoughts all the time. As I stated, I'm usually a really upbeat guy, so feeling this way really distressed me.

It eventually got a little better, but since I still didn't feel fully alright, I set an appointement with my doctor. He told me that of course I was worrying too much and was anticipating problems that may never happen (which is an another issue of mine I had to deal with in the past). He also diagnosticed a general state of fatigue within my body, which is affecting my mind and makes it hard to control my thoughts. To be fair, I had a pretty bad sleep schedule in July, and I had to regulary wake up early in August, so I guess I kinda pushed the limits of my body.

I started taking the medecines he prescribed me, and while I've felt better at time (last sunday for example was perfect in that regard), I still feel kind of weird. I feel kinda depressed, a bit demotivated. I have a hard time feeling fully absorbed by the things I naturally enjoy and I kinda feel like my mind is always running in the background. Since I'm a naturally anxious guy, I have a hard time not having these "what if" questions considering my current state, which doesn't help to end the circle or anxious thinking.

I'll share what helped me in the past and even recently in a later post~

KM

slayification
McMeghan -

I'm going to preface this by saying that I am not qualified to nor able to accurately diagnose you, I'm only noticing similarities between your situation and my own / other people's.

It sounds to me like you might have an anxiety disorder. Again, I can't definitively point to a box and say "you fit here!" (but a therapist will be able to to some extent), but your thoughts and behaviors are symptomatic of anxiety disorders like generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder. It may just be a blip on the radar and not representative of any actual disorder, but if you do find that these thoughts persist, I would absolutely recommend seeking therapy, especially Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Not only will your therapist confirm or deny whether or not these thoughts are merely small disruptions or signs of a disorder (which is massively freeing in itself), you'll also be able to learn how to deal with those thoughts. I'll give you a couple of general tips and trick for dealing with anxiety-based intrusive thoughts.

1. You want to try and look from the outside and classify those intrusive thoughts as what they are. For me, a thought process upon getting an intrusive thought, if I let it alone, essentially goes something like this - something reminds me of a thought or triggers it. This triggers a sort of fight-or-flight natural response, which creates the anxiety. Instead of just ignoring it, I focus on the thought - or I focus on actively not thinking about it. This is sort of counterproductive, as it gives importance to the thought.

What you have to realize is that these intrusive thoughts, if that's what they are, are not representative of you. Usually, they're forms of fear or anxiety that you have that manifest itself in doubt. You might have thoughts like "what if these are real thoughts? why am I thinking these thoughts? what does the fact that I'm thinking them mean?". This sort of analysis isn't going to lead you anywhere good.

Instead, try and look at your intrusive thoughts as an outside observer. This is a form of meta-cognition that allows you to remove yourself from your thoughts. Instead of the above thought process, the one I use instead is one like this "Ahah! That's that intrusive thought from my anxiety disorder. It popped up after I saw this. I had this thought earlier today, too." The goal is to essentially trivialize that thought by merely manually marking it as just another thought passing on through, and not on something important that needs to be turned over in your mind. Pretend that you're like, a factory worker, noting down the thoughts as they pass along the conveyor belt, and moving on. After you go through this process, redirect your focus to something else.

2. Stuff in general - sleep, eating, caffeine, exercise... This stuff is not directly related, and it kind of seems silly to think that by eating right or exercising you're going to erase these thoughts from your brain. You're not, and that's not the purpose. It's just getting you in the mindset of health and happiness so you can react appropriately to those thoughts without other factors. Eating and sleeping might seem hard (sleeping especially) if you're feeling depressed or anxious, but you should regulate it as much as possible. Try and stay on a consistent schedule, don't drink caffeine (or if you have to, do it early), take some natural sleep aids if that helps. And, if you can't sleep, get out of bed and do something relaxing like reading or listening to calm music, and try again. You can also just go super natural and load up on chicken and watermelon for those lovely natural chemicals. Exercising heavily to get those endorphins running and to tire yourself out physically can help a ton too. I know a lot of this stuff sounds really hard to do when you're feeling down or anxious, but it is really important.

Again, this might all just be a little momentary anxiety, but at the same time you shouldn't feel like anxiety disorders are a death sentence or some horrible thing. In fact, knowing that you have one, classifying it, and learning to deal with it can often make you much happier in general. I saw a crazy stat somewhere that the average time from when symptoms start showing up to when people seek treatment is like, 17 years.

If you ever want to talk about anything more specific, you can always pm me. I know somewhat what you're going through right now, and I want to assure you that you're all right <3

McMeg's, look into CBT. That will be far more helpful than whatever doctor you went to see recently. Were you prescribed an anti-depressant like Zoloft or an anxiety medication like clonazepam or lorazepam? (or any other type of benzo)

Regardless, a combination of CBT + medication is a good start. Skills you learn in CBT will also help you in case you find yourself in a similar situation down the road.

Skitty

i dont care if i ever come down♪
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really glad this topic was made, I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences and possibly being able to provide support or comfort to others.

I've experienced mental health issues for a while now, mainly extreme anxiety. I was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder and am trying to get medication, and although I don't have an official diagnosis I've also had very bad anxiety for about 5 years now. I haven't gotten any professional help since about last year, but it was with a court appointed therapist because of a custody issue between my mom and dad and that didn't help at all. (I currently live with my mom). My anxiety and depressive episodes have taken a huge toll on my life, and I feel that I'm at my lowest point right now. My mental health issues have always effected my schoolwork, but it's gotten a lot worse in these past two years. Because of my at times crippling anxiety I would miss school, and my grades would suffer and there would of course be a lot of complications because of my absences (I missed around 25 days of school last year) causing me to have more anxiety, and it has been a really vicious cycle.

Luckily, I have a really supportive mother. Mental health issues run in my family, and my mother has suffered from bad anxiety and depression for her whole life too. Addiction has also been a large problem for my family, and it effected my mom too. She was addicted to pain killers because they made her anxiety go away, and she was able to function normally with them and live mostly without anxiety, but she's been clean for a long time. We're both afraid that I'm going to develop the same habits that she did, because of how many members of my family struggle(d) with addiction. In a way, I'm grateful that I've been so close to people who struggle negatively with addiction, because I see how negatively it has effected their lives and I definitely don't want to be dependent on pain pills to function.

With school in full swing again (I'm in the 10th grade), I feel a lot worse. My interest in pretty much everything has dropped, and even though the subject matter of school isn't that hard, going to school and just getting up everyday feels completely overwhelming. One of the things I really enjoyed the most has been Pokemon Showdown, where I'm a driver, and I've had to take a LoA from that. My anxiety has been at an all time high, and I feel like I'm in a deep hole. Does anyone else here currently feel like that and/or have had similar things as me? I'm not trying to call pity to myself or anything ofc, but I'm just wondering if there's anyone here like me who'd like to share their story, or maybe post how they deal with their symptoms?

I'd be glad to offer support to anyone who is currently dealing with anxiety or other mental illness, because I know how awful it is.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Thanks a lot for your answers Kitten Milk and Faint. To answer you, I got prescribed medication that'd bring me more dietary elements and magnesium (therefore, no anti-depressants) to help me deal with my state of fatigue and my stress.

When I did some personal research a few weeks ago about my issues, I did consider a problem with Intrusive Thoughts and had found this page: http://www.drmartinseif.com/resources/intrusive-thoughts.html which I found pretty helpful at the time. But since I wasn't sure if it was what I had, the doubts eventually resurfaced. I'll be sure to bring it up to my doctor on my next appointement, as well as ask his advices about CBT, because I feel like Intrusive Thoughts in general might be the source of my problems, and if CBT can help me to deal with them for now and for the future, it will be a step in the right direction.

In the past, I had to deal with these kind of thoughts that I had a really hard time getting out of my head, even if they were about a different subject. I was eventually able to get past them and feel the "peace of mind" I'm aiming to keep, but the fact that I have to deal with them again at the moment makes me consider getting a treatment.

Reactions: KM

KM

slayification
Wow, this thread has actually taken off in a way I wasn't really expecting, which is awesome. Thanks to all of you for opening up and sharing your experiences. I'd feel kind of hypocritical if I didn't share my own after how awesome all of you guys have been, so yeah.

The earliest memory of a horrible time with anxiety was when I was around 7 - I was in a store with my mother and all of a sudden, I had the horrible feeling that I'd stolen something. I didn't know why, and I hadn't stolen - or considered stealing - anything in my entire life, but I just felt a massive wave of dread and uncertainty. I burst out crying on the way home, and compulsively checked my pockets every couple of minutes to make sure - absolutely sure - that I hadn't stolen anything. This lasted for a couple of months ( I don't know exactly how long, as it was a LONG time ago, but it definitely wasn't a one-day thing ). I also remember from a very early age engaging in other compulsive behaviors (tapping my fingers an exact amount of times on each thing, touching a surface with both hands at all times, not stepping on cracks, washing my hands repetitively). I also showed early signs of hypochondriasis, or constantly believing that I was sick and / or believing that minor ailments were horrible, life-threatening diseases.

This anxiety manifested itself in different forms throughout my life until a month and a half ago. I engaged in compulsive behavior related to safety and privacy (checking locks, burners, windows), continued some of the cleanliness ones, and had some relatively minor physiological obsessions that usually lasted for no longer than a couple of weeks. I also experienced eating and body image disorders like anorexia and body dysmorphia for a couple of years.

It was all relatively manageable and unintrusive, until around two months ago. It started with a intrusive thought, but I didn't classify it as that, so I turned it over and over in my head, giving it importance. I won't share the exact content, but it fed upon and exacerbated the worry I felt over coming out as gay. It kept getting worse and worse, and the intrusive thoughts started coming on more frequently and more concretely, sometimes even accompanied by images. Like you, Togie , I struggled with depression at the same time (in fact, the two often go hand in hand). The thoughts expanded to fill a variety of topics like harm, morality, and control. I had trouble sleeping, I couldn't eat like I used to, I had nearly constant anxiety and I was worried that my thoughts were representative of my actual desires in some way. I researched into OCD, because I thought it might be what it was (having informally diagnosed myself with it earlier in life), and a lot of it fit. Of course, though, OCD is a doubting disease, so just knowing that I had it wasn't the cure-all. Also, my hypochondriasis and generalized anxiety disorders kicked in, and I started experiencing a variety of new symptoms of OCD. Those disorders interact with each other in a particularly annoying way, but fortunately, they're all pretty much treated the same way, through CBT.

In the last month, I've started going to therapy, and although I'm certainly not all the way cured, I am getting better. As new symptoms come up and old ones return, I feel more able to deal with them and I've been able to take back a huge part of my life. I realized that a lot of it was still tied up in my being in the closet, and I came out in the middle of it all as well, which, although not curative, has been a nice thing to happen during all the crazy.

One of the things that's super important to me is awareness, so I'd like to talk a little more about OCD (which is the biggest struggle for me) because there's a huge amount of misunderstanding around it. I probably hear phrases like "If you want to be OCD about it, highlight your notebook...." or "I'm so OCD, I spent 10 minutes color-coding my markers..." a couple of times every single day, and besides being syntactically hilarious (it's essentially like saying "I'm so diabetes when I eat a hamburger"), it's a massive trivialization and oversimplification of a pretty devastating disorder. Although OCD can take the form of the things everyone is familiar with (cleanliness, perfectionism, organization), it spans a wide variety of activities, thought processes, and compulsions. Some people have what is informally called "Pure O", or a focus more on the obsessive and intrusive thoughts rather than the compulsions (although, recent studies seem to suggest that much of the brain activity that's labeled as obsessive is also somewhat compulsive in nature), while others have their OCD manifesting in rituals and repetitive actions.

I think the way mental health problems, and OCD in particular, are viewed by much of society is rather interesting and unique in the form of ignorance that accompanies it. Although many mental health problems are made fun of and trivialized (e.g. "Stop being so bipolar!!", "I saw The Notebook and I got super depressed I was crying for like thirty minutes", "She's such a psychotic bitch"), OCD is a strange case in that when I tell people that I have it, they aren't aware that it's even a serious condition. Just like the words "retarded" and "depressed", "OCD" has found itself in the vernacular with very little of the actual meaning it holds attached to it.

So yeah, just thought I'd do my part and share my own experiences. I might update this post as I progress just so people can see the journey. Thank you again to all of you for getting this thread off to a great start.

Last edited:
I'm a nervous wreck and have always had problems with sleep, which is why I dropped out of high school and wrote the GED. I have a script for clonazepam to help deal with it, but I eat them like delicoious, minty candy and run out within the first two weeks of each month. The other half of the month I cope with drinking or other drugs. Addiction does run in my family, and I'm no exception. I really don't suggest using benzos for anxiety unless you really, really need them. If I had found an antidepressant that wasn't complete trash before clonazepam, I probably would've turned out better.

I want to eventually go to university, but I don't see myself succeeding in the state I'm in now.
I don't think you should suggest that others avoid medication based on anecdotal evidence. There is a good chance the people reading this thread are not going to be as susceptible to the drug to the point of addiction. It also worries me that you are aware you are addicted and pop them like no tomorrow, yet don't mention any issue with supply. Does your doctor not notice how fast you're going through these, or are you receiving them illegally? Because you need to get off them asap - there are alternatives. Two years ago when I was prescribed lorazepam it did absolutely nothing for me so I was switched to clonazepam. I've been on an as needed prescription sense. Sometimes I feel like I need it but I'm able to tell myself it's best to try to and get through it on my own, but the insurance is nice to have.

Also, it's never too late to start an anti depressent. They have been shown to aid with anxiety. You really need to step up and make the initiative to work out a plan with your doctor if you haven't already. Making excuses for yourself about why you can't do something when there are people out there who provide this help for a living makes you sound lazy and content with your situation. Nothing is going to change until then.

Cresselia~~

This is probably a really mild problem compared to the others, but here's my very mild problem:

I am currently diagnosed with a mood disorder (I was misdiagnosed many many times in the past) , the current medication I'm on made me turn from underweight to overweight within a short time, and I am still probably gaining weight. (I didn't even eat differently or increased the quantity of food I eat)

I'm really bothered about it, not because of aesthetic reasons, but because I think my belly is annoying. (It gets in the way)
It gets in the way when I'm sewing/ crafting, sometimes during sleeping.
It also seems to make me more exhausted and occasionally have trouble breathing.
The fold in the belly also developed an irritating rash-- very itchy.
I don't know, I just kind of feel that I haven't adjusted to having a belly yet, I think it came too quickly.

I'm starting to worry about my physical health, since my family on my mother's side are born with heart problems.

But I've tried a plethora of different medications and this seems to be the only one drug that doesn't affect my muscles, thus allowing me to walk properly.
(When I was on other medication, which probably includes more than 20 SSRI's by now, I would probably need to use a walking frame at best)

I'm not sure of what to ask from the doctor. Should I continue with this medicine, or should I gamble on a new medicine?

Faint I assume that what Morfent is saying is that he gets a monthly supply of clonazepam from whatever pharmacy he is getting it from and goes through it in two weeks. I doubt that he is getting them illegally if he also says that after finishing off the clonazepam, he turns to other substances to get through the rest of the month. Also, assuming that the way Morfent gets his prescription meds is the same as mine, the doctor could very well not know that this is happening if the meds are gotten monthly and the patient does not show overt signs of not following their prescription.

As for this thread, I might be posting something in the future, but for now, all I can say is that I love the idea of the thread as a whole.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think this is an incredibly wonderful thread. Hopefully I'll have the chance to participate and offer phenomenological experience in the future, but I personally believe that the welcoming of threads such as these (and users such as Kitten Milk ) are one of the reasons that this site is truly amazing.

Loving the inclusivity, well done. To everyone posting, my love to you.

Faint I assume that what Morfent is saying is that he gets a monthly supply of clonazepam from whatever pharmacy he is getting it from and goes through it in two weeks. I doubt that he is getting them illegally if he also says that after finishing off the clonazepam, he turns to other substances to get through the rest of the month. Also, assuming that the way Morfent gets his prescription meds is the same as mine, the doctor could very well not know that this is happening if the meds are gotten monthly and the patient does not show overt signs of not following their prescription.

As for this thread, I might be posting something in the future, but for now, all I can say is that I love the idea of the thread as a whole.
Yeah, I missed the part about using alternative substances for the remainder of the month. He should still be honest with his doctor about what's going on. They could always increase the dosage of the clonazepam which in theory could limit his multiple uses per day and help with the alcohol / other abuse for the rest of the month.

This is probably a really mild problem compared to the others, but here's my very mild problem:

I am currently diagnosed with a mood disorder (I was misdiagnosed many many times in the past) , the current medication I'm on made me turn from underweight to overweight within a short time, and I am still probably gaining weight. (I didn't even eat differently or increased the quantity of food I eat)

I'm really bothered about it, not because of aesthetic reasons, but because I think my belly is annoying. (It gets in the way)
It gets in the way when I'm sewing/ crafting, sometimes during sleeping.
It also seems to make me more exhausted and occasionally have trouble breathing.
The fold in the belly also developed an irritating rash-- very itchy.
I don't know, I just kind of feel that I haven't adjusted to having a belly yet, I think it came too quickly.

I'm starting to worry about my physical health, since my family on my mother's side are born with heart problems.

But I've tried a plethora of different medications and this seems to be the only one drug that doesn't affect my muscles, thus allowing me to walk properly.
(When I was on other medication, which probably includes more than 20 SSRI's by now, I would probably need to use a walking frame at best)

I'm not sure of what to ask from the doctor. Should I continue with this medicine, or should I gamble on a new medicine?
You should definitely talk to the doctor about this. I wouldn't recommend asking the doctor, but I would advise that you just tell him what's going on with said medicine. Was it prescribed to you? How long have you been taking this medicine? It's usually best to talk to a doctor as soon as you realize that you're gaining weight despite that you haven't actually been eating any differently. Especially if this isn't the first medicine you've tried.

I don't have any mental disorders or anything of the sort, but I was reading through this thread and decided to reply because I know of people who've had defective medicines before.

Hi,

I've been for a while off smogon. Looked around a bit though, but I've been genuinely really busy. What can I say? I'm blessed with my life right now. I got a nice gf, I was abroad last year and I'm studying right now. I got a big issue though that I've been trying to solve for a while. I figured posting it here was a good shot since you guys are pretty smart about most things. I'll try to describe it as precisely as possible, even though it's pretty hard.

So since +/ 2 years (at least that's what I'm thinking) I've had serious problems regarding dissocation. The best description I could possibly give is that it's the same feeling as that you're sitting in a car and 1 hour later you'll suddenly 'wake up'. I'm having this for days and days. I haven't had any problems with it the last years, I passed my exams and others would not remark anything in social or physical aspect.

Things have gotten worse recently as I'm totally not able to concentrate. I'm also really really tired without a reason. Since I've done X once I've also had random moments where I felt totally nauseous and like I was going to faint. This shouldn't be a normal thing either. I've went to the doctor and he said there was nothing wrong with me physically. I did a blood test and made a movie of my heart but nothing was wrong.

Any ideas? It could seriously be so much

Cresselia~~

I had really bad experiences with SSRIs as well.

You should definitely talk to the doctor about this. I wouldn't recommend asking the doctor, but I would advise that you just tell him what's going on with said medicine. Was it prescribed to you? How long have you been taking this medicine? It's usually best to talk to a doctor as soon as you realize that you're gaining weight despite that you haven't actually been eating any differently. Especially if this isn't the first medicine you've tried.

I don't have any mental disorders or anything of the sort, but I was reading through this thread and decided to reply because I know of people who've had defective medicines before.
I think I had been on this one for more than 1 year now.
But I gained almost 30kg all this time. (I was originally 45kg before I start)
(That's more than 50% of my own weight! wow)

I did tell my doctor once, but at that time, he told me not to be bothered with my weight and didn't change the medicine.
Yes, it's prescribed.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've read through some of these posts and although I will admit I don't understand alot of it, due to not having done much research, but I figured I'd post with my experience and see if anyone can relate.

I've been dangerously stressed out, 24 hours a day since around June 2013. This isn't a problems thread so I won't go into detail, but basically 2 ex girlfriends of mine set up something which I was arrested for, and have nothing to do with. Its very serious and I'm helpless to do anything about it.

The stress causes almost complete lack of sleep, loss of appetite, social anxiety and general want to stay indoors all day. But the main issue I wanted to post about is what I believe to be something along the lines of bi-polar. I have never seen anyone about it because its generally hard to get help from what I've found. It makes my temper incredibly short, and has caused me many problems. On two occasions I have blacked out from anger and had no recollection of what happened. Thankfully only a door was damaged.

On the physical side, not eating much is causing general tiredness, which obviously doesn't help with mood. Although I am an adequate weight, that does not reflect how unhealthy the lack of proper diet is making me inside.

In the past it felt controllable but as time goes along I'm becoming more stressed and it becoming a worry. The accusation has led to a complete lack of trust in anyone, so I haven't had the chance to properly talk to anyone yet. I am currently awaiting appointments to get it evaluated but its taking longer than expected. If anyone has had issues similar, and knows anything that might help it would be greatly appreciated.

If you ever need to talk frens i'm here :]

Anyway, I used to suffer from anxiety, mine was mainly related to schoolwork and the feeling of inadequacy. Like nothing I did was ever good enough or that me finishing work early meant I was missing something or me finishing too late made me stress. Regardless, I went to see a psychologist (like I would recommend to anyone suffering these problems) and she gave me this one image. An image that basically changed my life, the way I perceived things that we fear most, death, illness, inadequacy, growing old etc etc and even though the message is ridiculously simple, me seeing the world in this light has made me the person I am today (whether you hate me or not I don't give a fuck, but you can't fault my confidence hehe bwoi)

I know it's easier said than done, but if you can embrace it, like I have, a smile becomes something you wear because you want too, not because you feel like you're forced too.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm in court for said offence tomorrow, so hopefully all goes well and I can get my life back on track. The girl accusing me already dropped the case as she didn't want to lie in a crown court hearing, but she did it under the guise of 'wanting to get on with her life'. The police still want to move forward so yeah :/ Hopefully justice comes through.

Thanks for the advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)