Other Mental Breakdown: Snorlax Balance (Monotype)

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

This team goes out to all of the PU people that hate on Monotype on a daily basis (gasquakee, Magnemite, dodmen, trc, Anty, galbia), who inspired me to go 14-0 on the ladder and then lose game 15 to Sleep Talk rolls. The name of this team was inspired by the great Meteordash who once said:

%Meteordash: how do you even play monotype
%Meteordash: without having a mental breakdown

On a tad more serious note, this team features what I think is a really underrated threat in Monotype, Snorlax. The team is basically set up to either support it, or take advantage of what it does. The team itself is horrendously bulky, and can be a real pain to break if you're on the opposing side of it. Now that the introduction is out of the way, let's get onto the team building process:

Teambuilding Process

As previously stated, I began this team with Snorlax. I believed it was highly underrated in the metagame, and I wanted to try it out to see how it actually worked on a competitive team.

One of the first things I noticed when trying to build around Snorlax, was the fact that it couldn't break Steel-type Pokemon, so I decided on Pidgeot Mega as its partner.

After that, I added the infamous defensive core of Chansey and Porygon2, which turned out to be very effective in the long run.

At this point, the team needed entry hazard control, as well as a defensive answer to Fighting-types, so Staraptor fit in very well. It also provided some effective slow momentum.

At the end, I wanted to tie the entire team together with a strong physical wallbreaker, which I found in Diggersby.

After some testing however, I found the team couldn't break Ghost Monotypes, so I placed Meloetta in the last spot instead of Diggersby, and the team turned out to work great.

The Team

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Nature: Careful
Moves:
- Curse - Standard set up which can allow Snorlax to clean an opposing team mid- to late-game.
- Rest - Allows Snorlax to heal status and recover health.
- Sleep Talk - Allows Snorlax to use a move while asleep.
- Crunch - Best move option that doesn't make it walled by Ghost-types and can actually make it a win-condition against them.

Overview

Snorlax is a criminally underrated in the metagame, without much good reason behind it. This is probably due to the fact that Snorlax is usually seen as being walled by Ghost-types, but with this set, it can actually be very deadly against them. As the centerpiece of this team, Snorlax does a great job of being the glue that holds it together.

Analysis

For this team, Snorlax actually does a lot and glues it together. It functions as a check to Fire-type Pokemon such as Charizard, Victini, and Heatran, as well as the more uncommon Ice-types such as Abomasnow due to Thick Fat. Snorlax also acts as my main win-condition against Ghost-types and Psychic-types. The EVs and nature are the standard ones used in UU, so I thought I'd just transfer them over since it's still a nice mix of bulk. Leftovers are for passive recovery per turn.

Other Options

Snorlax can run Return over Crunch for a stronger attack with STAB, although it generally makes the team really weak to Ghost-types.

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
Nature: Timid
Moves:
- Hurricane - Hurricane is a dreadfully strong move, gaining a STAB boost and never missing due to No Guard.
- Heat Wave - Heat Wave is generally for Steel-types, bar Heatran.
- Hidden Power [Ground] - Hidden Power Ground is mainly to hit Heatran.
- Roost - Roost is reliable recovery which can be used to preserve Pidgeot.
Overview

Mega Pidgeot works really well with Snorlax as it can take on Steel-types which wall it, as well as weakening walls for it. Pidgeot is very fast, and a great wallbreaker on Normal-type teams. I decided to use it over Lopunny because I just love spamming Hurricanes without the chance to miss.

Analysis

Mega Pidgeot does wonders for this team, being the main wallbreaker and the best chance of beating both Fighting- and Steel-type teams. The EVs are pretty self-explanatory, allowing it to be as fast and hit as hard as it can. No Guard guarantees Pidgeot won't miss a Hurricane or Heat Wave, and allows it to spam a combination of the two.

Other Options

Pidgeot could either U-turn or Work Up in place of Hidden Power Ground or Roost.

Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Nature: Calm
Moves:
- Ice Beam - Ice Beam is part one of the boltbeam combination (although I don't have the bolt part) which hits things like Landorus and Garchomp.
- Thunder Wave - Thunder Wave is used to cripple a foe.
- Foul Play - Foul Play punishes physical attackers.
- Recover - Recover heals back Porygon's HP.

Overview

Porygon2 is generally a scary wall to be faced against as it can sponge up hits and Recover its way out of dangerous situations. Porygon forms a devastatingly bulky core with Chansey, which can be devastatingly hard to break. Trace can also allow it to wall Pokemon such as Chandelure, by using their abilities against them. If only I could find a Shedinja to switch into.

Analysis

Porygon2 is another bulky Pokemon on my team, which forms a defensive core with Chansey and provides support against Physical Attackers. Porygon2 works well against Ground Monotypes as there isn't much to break it, and it can Ice Beam its way through. Porygon is great for stalling out foes and paralyzing them. The EVs give Porygon2 a solid mixed bulk, while Trace allows it to check Pokemon such as Chandelure using their own abilities.

Other Options

Porygon2 can run a variety of other moves, such as Discharge, Thunderbolt, and Toxic in place of Foul Play, Thunder Wave, or Ice Beam. Recover is always a necessity.

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Bold
Moves:
- Wish - Wish is recovery, which can be passed to teammates as well.
- Seismic Toss - Seismic Toss is for chip damage and to assure Chansey won't be Taunt bait.
- Heal Bell - Heal Bell removes status from Chansey and its teammates.
- Protect - Protect can scout a foe's moves as well as receive a Wish without taking damage.

Overview

Chansey is widely loved and hated, depending on which side of the field you're on, due to its large bulk and access to recovery. Chansey forms a strong defensive core with Porygon2, and the pair are really hard to break.

Analysis

Chansey provides cleric support for my team, as well as being a great Special wall. Its EVs allow it to be as bulky as it can on both sides. Chansey is also my status absorber, due to its ability Natural Cure. With an Eviolite, Chansey is a gigantic wall, which can be very hard to take down if the opponent isn't prepared.

Other Options

Chansey has a couple of other options that it could run, including Stealth Rock, Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Soft-Boiled. Stealth Rock is the most important, although I can't really find a spot to fit it in.

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Nature: Impish
Moves:
- Defog - Defog removes Entry Hazards from the field.
- Roost - Roost recovers Staraptor's lost health.
- U-turn - U-turn provides slow momentum to another teammate.
- Brave Bird - Brave Bird is a strong STAB attack, even without investment.

Overview

In standard singles tiers, Staraptor is seen as a threatening attacker sporting a choice item and max Speed and Attack. However, in Monotype, Staraptor carves its niche as a bulky entry hazard remover, which also has access to slow momentum.

Analysis

Staraptor is this team's entry hazard remover, as well as designated physical wall, which works great against Fighting-types. It also provides slow momentum via U-turn, while having the ability to damage foes well with an uninvested Brave Bird. Staraptor's EVs paired with Intimidate allow it to be as physically bulky as it can.

Other Options

Staraptor could run Feather Dance to lower a foe's Attack.

Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
Moves:
- Psychic - Psychic is Meloetta's primary STAB, which allows it to hit Fighting- and Poison-types.
- Hyper Voice - Secondary STAB.
- Shadow Ball - Shadow Ball allows Meloetta to take on Ghost-types.
- Focus Blast - Focus Blast allows Meloetta to hit Dark- and Steel-types.

Overview

Meloetta is commonly seen in the Monotype metagame as an Assault Vest varient, although with a base 90 Speed, it can work with a Choice Scarf as well, Meloetta is one of Normal-type's best answers to both Ghost-types and Fighting-types, which allows it to fit perfectly with the rest of the team.

Analysis

Meloetta functions as a Fighting-type and Ghost-type check on the team, as well as the Choice Scarf user. It is also able to check Water-types via Energy Ball. The EVs make Meloetta as fast as it can, while still hitting as hard as it can.

Other Options

Meloetta has a few other options it can run, such as U-turn for momentum, Energy Ball for Water- and Ground-types, Trick to cripple walls, and Dazzling Gleam to hit Dark-types.

Resources
Importable

fuck sableye (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Crunch
- Curse
- Sleep Talk

Tribal Paint (Pidgeot-Mega) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Roost

SOMONECALL911 (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Recover

Watch Sey Whip (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Protect

RuffleMyFeathers (Staraptor) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

SpaghettiWeave (Meloetta) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast

Threat List
Dark Types: Dark Types are fairly threatening to the team, as I really don't have much to take them on other than Meloetta's Focus Blast (which can't hit sableye in the first place).

Terrakion: Usually sporting a Choice Scarf, Terrakion can blow through the team if it makes the correct predictions on my switches.

some more stuff

Shoutouts
Magnemite stop bullying me!!
gasquakee just quit mons zzz
Megazard I'm your number 1 fan!! keep up the good videos!!
scorpdestroyer you're always dead but hi
Sir Kay you're chill
TONE114 bitches love cannons
2xTheTap you're pretty 2xthechill
Anty i guess you're helpful or something. #antyfor#
galbia italian
Mistress Remilia I think you play PU less than I do zzz
Dundies SLMLPOUR and chill?
Kingler12345 always find a way to hax
Deej Dy oolong tea
Poliwrath stupidest name change in the history of smogon
HJAD we don't really talk much

AM why did you resign
Feliburn why did you resign
@dmv why did you resign
Blitzamirin about as fire as this team
Sigilyph pretty chill dude
Zodiax Zodiax
Tunaface you're never on bro
don't lose don't lose
Peli AV Regice

Saverdien usually dead but you're pretty cool I guess
sirDonovan really cool dude who helps with stuff
2Lou4u serious memeage
Manaphy286 you're pretty cool I guess
Snaquaza lord of the OMs
Wan the Avatar hi my name is wan and I am an avatar
Illusio you kind of suck but hi
Painter Espeon goodra is bad

Snowyyy hi snowyyy
Dream Eater Gengar you're literally a god
Anttya Worst player ever n_n
scpinion chill RO
Freeroamer you're okay
CrazyClown94 you're the greatest player of all time
Bondie you're pretty bad
Misaka Mikoto you're not as bad as Bondie
Stunfisk The Great horrendous

Rhythms Watch your langurge
Natural Talent the don KING T
thecrystalonix really bad at mons but he's nice
ajernejcic dude what the fuck is your name
Joshz you're literally the worst player I've ever seen in my life
Shiba really cool dude. get rid of the x
Arifeen oh right you're banned
tehy oh right you're banned too
Kableye utter trash
MainEvent thanks for that DOU team
Laxuy you suck
trash trash
m00ns based OU lord

Obligatory

Conclusion

Thank you guys for reading through this RMT, and I hope to see some comments down below with suggestions to make this team even better. The message this team is trying to put forward is "Snorlax isn't bad", and I hope that it's well received by the community. This RMT took me so long, mostly due to the fact my computer crashed twice while making it, so I hope it was at least enough to get some people to look at it.

Last edited:

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you tag me twice I guess I have to rate it and add it to the showcase...that's the rule, right?

Looks like a fun team w/ Snorlax. Fighting is def. a pain in the ass though. Speaking from experience the two birds are enough if you play well and your opponent sucks.

I have a couple suggestions that I think can help the team.

HP Fire over Foul Play, Download over Trace on Pory2
  • Bops Scizor, which will shit on this team
  • Hits Bisharp for a clean 70%, which also shits on this team
  • Helps with the Steel weakness
  • Aegi can be more of a problem, but see below or just drop the Speed IVs/Nature so HP Fire hits it in Blade Form.
  • I also prefer Toxic and Discharge over Twave and Ice Beam, but both work.
    • Toxic + Recover is annoying for Dragon and Flying teams (it just takes longer to win).
    • Discharge has a 100% para rate; why not damage them when you para? Also helps vs. Water, Flying, and Heatran (can 1v1 it, unless some Toxic/Protect shit).
  • Overall, Toxic, Discharge, HP Fire, Recover is able to annoy Flying, Steel, Water, Psychic, Bug and Dragon, which covers a good chunk of the metagame.
  • Trace is flashy when you switch it in and negate your opponent's move, but bopping Bish and Scizor is much better for the team.
Scarf PoryZ over Melo.
  • Just as Fast; Just as Strong, BST-wise
  • Download is awesome in Monotype (think scarf Gene on Bug)
  • BoltBeam for Flying
  • Dark Pulse for Ghosts and Melo on Psy
  • Trick if you're into that.
  • Doesn't just die to Sucker Punch :)
  • Does die to Mach Punch :(
  • Water teams don't like switching into Thunderbolt + STAB Tri Attack or Adaptability Hyper Beam
  • Better revenge killer imo.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, so this is a good team but I can make it even better. Your problem stems from Fighting monos, which overwhelm Normal monos. With that in mind, there are some changes we can do. First of all, trapping Fighters like Terrak should make the game a lot easier, so you can swap Chansey for a Wobbuffet. Now your wallbreaker, Mega Pidgeot, really struggles with the threat of Mega Sableye which does really well vs this team, so Mega Gardevoir should help out a lot over that. At this point your team's gone rather offensive, so what you could do is replace the defensive core of Snorlax and P2 for an offensive core consisting of CB Hoopa-U and CB Victini. Now you've got a defogger but those two prefer the hazard support more than removal, so why not a suicide lead Deo-S in place of Staraptor? Finally, while Meloetta has good special bulk and a psychic typing, it's a bit weak and doesn't provide many useful resistances so Scarf Jirachi can make up for weakness with flinches while giving you resists to Rock and Fairy, which better takes on Mega Diancie which blew through your original team. I think you'll find this new team has far fewer issues against the Fighting and Fairy monos that were such a problem initially. Good luck!

113.png
-->
202.png

018.png
-->
282.png

233.png
-->
720MS.png
-Unbound
143.png
-->
494.png

398.png
-->
386-speed.png

648.png
-->
385.png

You still lose to bisharp but literally every team you make loses to Bisharp jesus fuck. Also consider going back to work up pidge as sableye is far more annoying than heatran

Woah, well hot damn xD This is a pretty creative team. If you wanted you could make pidgeot your defogger, and have Staraptor be scarfed/replace it with ditto. All in all I like this a lot! (My record is 21-0 with my ground, b4 the smooth rock bam without smooth rock :P)

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so this is a good team but I can make it even better. Your problem stems from Fighting monos, which overwhelm Normal monos. With that in mind, there are some changes we can do. First of all, trapping Fighters like Terrak should make the game a lot easier, so you can swap Chansey for a Wobbuffet. Now your wallbreaker, Mega Pidgeot, really struggles with the threat of Mega Sableye which does really well vs this team, so Mega Gardevoir should help out a lot over that. At this point your team's gone rather offensive, so what you could do is replace the defensive core of Snorlax and P2 for an offensive core consisting of CB Hoopa-U and CB Victini. Now you've got a defogger but those two prefer the hazard support more than removal, so why not a suicide lead Deo-S in place of Staraptor? Finally, while Meloetta has good special bulk and a psychic typing, it's a bit weak and doesn't provide many useful resistances so Scarf Jirachi can make up for weakness with flinches while giving you resists to Rock and Fairy, which better takes on Mega Diancie which blew through your original team. I think you'll find this new team has far fewer issues against the Fighting and Fairy monos that were such a problem initially. Good luck!

You still lose to bisharp but literally every team you make loses to Bisharp jesus fuck. Also consider going back to work up pidge as sableye is far more annoying than heatran
The fact that you just gave me my own team through another team is very impressive, bar the fact that you're only allowed to suggest 3 Pokemon changes per rate, and the fact that you suck so like 7.8/10 too much change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)