SV OU Meowscarada & Iron Moth Balance | Need Suggestions.

Hello everyone. I'm a casual player that want to climb in the ladder. I was trying to make a team for OU, something original and viable, i came to make this team and, with some practice, I think it's decent. However, i need some suggestions and feedback of this forum. Any help is appreciated and, of course, will help me in this try to be a good player.

Here is the team!

1200px-Meowscarada.png

Meowscarada @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- U-turn

First of all, we have Meowscarada. I feel that of all the gen 9 starters, it is the least used and the one that hides the greatest potential within Singles. I've decided to use it as a Pivot, with U-Turn and Choice Scarf to pressure two of the most common Pokemon in the current meta: Tusk and Rotom-W. I usually start with it, using Play Rough as coverage, being able to take out faster threats like Dragapult or Chien Pao surprisingly. With Knock Off, it can help remove boots and choice items, making it a constant threat. The game plan is to help it switch in at opportune moments, whether it's to apply a deadly Knock Off or Flower Trick against suitable foes.

descargar.png

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball

Since Meowscarada can suffer against Fairy type, Steel type and Bug type, the next member of the team is Iron Moth. For its set, I've decided to run a sweeper variant, utilizing the substantial boost to special attack that its ability offers. In turn, I've given it Agility to outspeed various threats like Chien Pao and Rotom-W Scarf. Its teracrystallization is Grass, this not only kills its prominent weaknesses to Psychic type, Ground type and Water type, it also powers up energy ball, which ensures a KO against the latter two. Making it an ideal option to accompany Meowscarada in order to solve its weaknesses a bit.

Garganacl.png

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 148 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Salt Cure
- Recover

Having already a physical attacker and a special one, it is time to introduce one of the walls. I have had many mishaps when facing Cinderace, Toxapex and various Corviknight variants, my best answer has been Garganacl. I have decided to make it a physical wall, with the iron defense variant to withstand attacks from Chien Pao, Lokix and Dragonite. It's also capable of out-stalling Toxapex, and the idea of being immune to all the status effects it throws makes it an excellent switch when I'm feeling in a bind. Many times it has rescued me games by becoming an endgame wall unable to overcome, at the moment it begins to accumulate defense, it can be considered practically unkillable.

309-3097824_pokmon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire-pokemon-slowking.png

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Chilly Reception
- Future Sight
- Slack Off

Now comes the special wall, after an internal conflict, I have decided on Slowking. It is capable of resisting attacks from Hatterene, Amoonguss, and to some extent, Iron Valiant. My reason for choosing him is his incredible Pivot ability, with Regenerator, boots, Chilling Reception and Future Sight, he becomes ideal to leave the field prepared for the arrival of Pokemon like Iron Moth and Meowscarada, at the same time that he can pressure or force switch thanks to FutureSight. With Surf, it can take down some pretty annoying fire-types, and Slack Off is another recovery ability should it need it. With normal Tera, it can become immune to threats like Gholdengo and Dragapult.
I still have doubts about his permanence in the team, but he has fulfilled his function very well and I hope to be able to keep him in case changes must be applied.

800px-Gholdengo.png

Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain

Researching and testing, I have seen that it had too many problems against some fairy-types and of course, Garganacl. To counter that tough stone, I've decided to bring in Gholdengo with a Nasty Plot + Recover variant. Paired with Covert Cloak, it becomes the best check to pressure Garganacl, and hopefully remove it entirely. I've wanted to prioritize survivability and bulk. Using the Flying tera, I can remove Ghold's weakness to ground. While Recover can keep it healthy throughout the match for a potential late-game sweep, it's also an excellent check to Iron Valiant that threatens to take down my entire team so much.

1200px-0984Great_Tusk.png

Great Tusk @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Close Combat

Last but not least, I needed someone who could put rocks in and be my spinner. Great Tusk has been the almost immediate decision. Thanks to its incredible natural bulk and access to amazing support and offense abilities, I decided to use it with a defensive set, capable of setting up Stealth Rock and removing Hazards from my field so my attackers could switch in safely. Normally, I tend to run it as a physical attacker with earthquake and close combat, but I sacrificed a bit of that offensive ability to make it resilient. The Phantom Tera brought him to be able to face opposing Great Tusk, in turn giving him resistance to special attacks that could kill him quickly. Although normally, you will never get to terastalize it, once it fulfills its function, it is easily a sacrifice unless the game requires its presence.

Some of the team's threats are:
Dondozo:
Not only does it become annoying with Unaware, but it can also take down your entire team if the terastal has been spent and you don't have Gholdengo to stop it.
Dragonite: Dragon Dance with Normal Tera is very annoying to face, your best cards will be Garganacl and pray that he has no luck getting crits. Beyond that, it's very problematic for the team in general, and if it manages to set up strong enough, it's game over.
Skeleridge: Its variant with Will-O-Wisp, Hex, and Torch Song, along with Unaware, are a danger to the entire team. The best alternative is to remove it with Great Tusk or force it to constantly switch on rocks. However, the moment it gets out of control, you can forfeit the match.

That was it. I would like to receive some feedback to improve the computer and, in turn, suggestions to eliminate the most common threats on the computer. I'll keep an eye out and welcome any feedback as long as it helps me. Thanks for the attention!

Hi love the team, but it has one major weakness. Ground types will roll over the team and there will be nothing you can do. :Great tusk: will sweep after a single spin, and ( although it's not as common) :sandy shocks: seems like it's hard to deal with.
A defensive D-nite set might help against tusk.

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Body Press
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail

I'm no expert on rating teams, and this might be of no use what do ever, but a hope this helped. Happy winnings!

Hi, StardustBeloved

I think your team is good, but there are certain things you should change and watch out for.

Meowscarda can be adamant in insuring some crucial rolls. Grass tera can work to boost flower trick damage even further.

Garganacl.png

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP /156def / 100spd
Impish Nature
- Salt cure
- Stealth rock
- Recover
- Protect
This Garganacl set has been doing better in the meta and it also does more chip with salt cure and protect.
800px-Gholdengo.png

Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 140 HP / 16 Def / 192 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
gholdengo with bulk is good in this meta as it allows with tera to beat mons that otherwise shrug of its hits and setup with a nasty plot.
1200px-0984Great_Tusk.png

Great Tusk@leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Close Combat

bulk up tusk is a niche that allows it to overpower physical attackers and even sweep games with one rapid spin this also allows tusk to be freed of a slot of being a hazard remover and a stealth rocker.

overall your team is good, but with these changes I believe it would make your ladder experience better

Last edited:

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cool team. Couple changes I'd make to help the team function better in the current metagame.

1) I'd change Meowscarada's item from Scarf to Band. As it stands currently, you don't have any breakers on your team and in general lacks offensive pressure apart from Iron Moth. Band Meow is very good in the current Garg / Gholden / Dozo metagame, hits very hard and still is fast enough to revenge most things. It will also help you out with your Dondozo weakness since Dozo takes minimum 60% from Flower Trick and it ignores boosts. I'd also consider running either Trick or Spikes over Play Rough which doesn't hit a lot. Trick can cripple walls while Spikes can help you chip down teams and you have Gholdengo to deny removal.

2) Great Tusk should be fully physically defensive (252 HP / 252 Def Impish) and run Leftovers. It doesn't make much sense to run Focus Sash on non-offensive Great Tusk and Lefties will give a lot of longevity in the game. I also suggest running Knock Off over Close Combat, Knock Off is very useful for making progress against Garg, other Great Tusk and without attack investment Close Combat just doesn't do enough damage for the stat drops to be worth it.

3) Tera Water over Tera Normal on Slowking, Tera Water Surf is quite strong and chips down stuff like Ting Lu and Tusk which might think they can stay in on you. Also lets you play around Skeledirge a bit better by allowing you to pivot around with Slowking and Garganacl and Salt Curing it.

Apart from that it looks like a solid build. Heres a paste of the final version https://pokepast.es/496434597c05c759. There is some weaknesses like opposing Meowscarda, Skeledirge and Dragonite but nothing that cant be played around. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)