MEOWSCARADA SEMI-STALL PEAKED #1 2112 ELO! 87.8 GXE!

Hello Everyone, and Welcome back to another RMT. This time, I chose a simpler format due to my lack of availability, but I hope you enjoy the RMT nonetheless. This team is my most successful one in terms of GXE, and one of 3 teams that ever took me above 2100 Elo! With that being said, let´s begin:

Meowscarada Semi-Stall
1703419673819.png
1703420048742.png

Table of Contents:

1-Proof of Peak and Pokepaste
2- Archetype and Strategy
3- Team Members
4- Synergy
5- Hard Match-Ups
6-Replays
7-Discord

1-Proof of Peak and Pokepaste

Ladder Peak: Elo/GXE Peak:
1703420737503.png
1703420770962.png

Importable Pokepaste Meow Semi-Stall (pokepast.es)

2- Archetype and Strategy

As with any Semi-Stall team, the main gameplan in most match-ups should prioritize a defensive response to most threats, focusing on aggressive hazard stacking and utilizing :Meowscarada:´s offensive profile, only when the defensive option isn´t as viable.

A traditional problem with Semi-Stall teams across generations, is the vulnerability of the the "revenge killer", in this case :Meowscarada: , because if it gets removed from the game, your team will no longer have any form of offensive counterplay, and you start playing with a 5 Pokemon Stall Team. This is one of the reasons :Tornadus-Therian: is and was such a popular choice on Semi-Stall, taking advantage of Regenerator, to always have a chance of coming back into the game. Regardless, through Chilly Reception pivoting from :Slowking-Galar: and Wish Passing from :Clefable:, Meowscarada can come in safely throughout the game, making the most out of it´s movepool arsenal.

Finally, it should be noted that this team incorporates the Heavy-Duty Boot Spam strategy, with Poison Heal :Gliscor: and :Clefable:, as Knock Off absorbers, as they are the best Pokemon in the metagame for this role.

3- Team Members

Meowscarada
1703430210654.png

:Meowscarada: received a very big gift this Christmas, one that came directly from the North Pole! Triple Axel!

With access to this move, this Pokemon turns the tables on most of it´s previous counters like :Amoonguss:, :Zapdos: :Dragonite: and :Gliscor: , as well as the newly introduced :Raging Bolt:. When we combine this incredible buff with :Meowscarada:´s Item removal capacity, the list of solid switch-ins, shrinks down to :Corviknight:, :Skarmory: and :Clefable: , with the first 2 being pressured constantly by Stealth Rock, while :Clefable: can be 2hkod by Tera Ice Triple Axel. Low Kick is also a solid coverage move to hit :Heatran:, :Kingambit: and the new :Archaludon: while also enabling midground plays.

Gliscor
1703430670985.png

:Gliscor: needs no introduction. It is the best defensive Spiker in the metagame, one of the best Status Absorbers, one of the best Knock Off absorbers, and arguably the best Pokemon in the metagame currently.
On this team, :Gliscor: is running Tera Dragon mostly for the :Rillaboom: and :Ogerpon-Wellspring: match-ups, as this team lacks solid Grass Resistances. This Pokemon has a few good match-ups into the newly introduced Pokemon, being a solid answer to the Booster Energy DD Morning Sun Outrage :Gouging Fire: set, which can actually beat :Dondozo:.

Clefable
1703431061856.png

:Clefable: also needs no introduction, it is a Stall Staple due to it´s capacity to absorb Knock Off from :Iron Valiant: :Gliscor: and opposing :Clefable:, it´s capacity to set up Stealth Rock in front of :Great Tusk:, as well as it´s Wish Passing niche. This set runs Tera Fire to survive the assault of opposing :Meowscarada: and :Weavile: hazard stack, with Fire being the second type in the game with the most resistances, generally held back by the Stealth Rock weakness, which isn´t a factor here.

Slowking-Galar
1703431289339.png

:Slowking-Galar: is a crucial team member, whose presence is necessary not only to allow for pivoting into :Meowscarada:, but also defeat the otherwise annoying :Hatterene: match-up, which can deny :Gliscor:´s and :Clefable:´s hazard stacking attemps in the short term. Tera Water is used to combat both Rain and Sun, although you should also preserve your :Clodsire: in both of these match-ups, since Rain generally has Electro Shot :Archaludon: and Sun has :Raging Bolt:, both being able to take advantage of Tera Water.

Clodsire
1703431569546.png

Clodsire is obviously the team´s main Special Wall, shutting down the new :Raging Bolt: , Nasty Plot :Hydrapple::, as well as the returning :Volcarona: . Tera Steel allows this Pokemon to wall most Psyshock users, most notably, :Gholdengo: , as well as most Stored Power sweepers, including the newly introduced :Iron Crown:.
The fact that :Gliscor: is the spiker and :Clefable: the rocker, allows :Clodsire: to maximize its defensive role compression, being able to run both Eartquake and Amnesia.

Dondozo
1703431855146.png

:Dondozo: did not receive any notable buffs this DLC, but it enjoyed the introduction of :Gouging Fire: and :Iron Boulder: , 2 new victims to it´s unaware ability. Tera Fighting is used to combat the resurgence of Tera Dark :Kingambit: as well as to boost Body Press damage output and remove the Grass and Electric type weaknesses.

4- Synergy

In this section of the RMT, I would like to point out some not so obvious details that allow the team to function as a whole. These characteristics boost the team´s viability more than expected and are not as obvious to most people.

Protect-Unaware-HDB Synergy

Pokemon who rely on Protect for recovery are generally considered flawed in most metagames. The turn in which the Pokemon is forced to protect to regenerate health, can be exploited with Set-Up, Hazard Setting, or Moves that go through Protect. Let´s look at all of these one at a time. Setting up on Protect is useless if you go to an Unaware Pokemon after, meaning that in order for this tactic to be effective the Pokemon would have to threaten both :Clodsire: and :Dondozo: and be able to come in and set up for free against one of :Gliscor: or :Clefable::.
Setting hazards on Protect doesn´t have any impact either, as the team is fully immune to those, with the exception of :Gliscor:´s Poison Heal being canceled out by Stealth Rock. Finally, there are only 2 moves that can go through Protect in OU; :Iron Boulder:´s Mighty cleave, and :Hoopa-Unbound:´s Hyperspace Fury, both incapable of significantly threatening :Clefable: or :Gliscor: let alone switch in.

Slowking-Meowscarada Synergy

These Pokemon have always formed a great duo. :Meowscarada: resists all of :Slowking-Galar:´s weaknesses, while :Slowking-Galar: resists 2 of :Meowscarada:´s weaknesses. Meow is able to force out the dark and Steel types that annoy Slowking, via Low Kick, making it a great Future Sight abuser. Moreover, with the addition of Protean Triple Axel to its arsenal, :Meowscarada: can beneffit from the snow boost granted by Chilly Reception.

5- Hard Match-ups:

SD Knock :Gliscor: + Spikes

Counterplay: Stay in with your own :Gliscor: and click Protect every time the opposing :Gliscor: clicks +6 Knock Off. Whenever you are in range of a +6 Knock Off KO, go Dondozo and let it´s boots get knocked off, Gliscor will be forced to switch out, but it will come back. Attempt to heal Gliscor via Protect or :Clefable: wish and repeat this cycle, they will eventually run out of Knock Off.

Choice Specs Tera Ground :Kyurem:

Counterplay: Abuse Protect and Spikes, predict defensively or Tera Water :Slowking-Galar: if necessary. Be aware that Terastallizing will make you vulnerable to Freeze Dry.

Defog :Corviknight:

:Corviknight: is not only able to stomp any intentions :Meowscarada: has of forcing progress, but also deny Hazards from :Gliscor: and :Clefable:

Counterplay:
Even with Pressure, Corviknight can only deny one of Stealth Rock or Spikes. Make sure one is always up, to limit the opponent´s options. Additionally, chip it as much as possible with :Clefable: Moonblasts and :Slowking-Galar: Future Sights so that they run out of roost quicker. This match-up is meant to be played slowly.

Replays:

Vs Hoopa HO: Replays - Pokémon Showdown! (pokemonshowdown.com)
Vs New Paradox mons: Replays - Pokémon Showdown!(pokemonshowdown.com)
VS Ogerpon Sand: Replays - Pokémon Showdown! (pokemonshowdown.com)
VS Knock Off SD Gliscor: Replays - Pokémon Showdown! (pokemonshowdown.com)
VS Suicune Hatterene Stall Replays - Pokémon Showdown! (pokemonshowdown.com)

7- Join my Discord!
The Biggest Stall Community of Pokemon Showdown!
1703434482785.png

Invite Link: https://discord.gg/ASGXYMaNK2

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
I was just looking for a slowking Semi-Stalk team and I can’t believe you just posted one. Anyways, amazing team!

Also how do you deal with certain sweepers like Stired power Lati twins or roost dragonite, could you perhaps consider a phasing move?

Also ID corv, you can physically not hit, and pressure beats bozo

Last edited:
I was just looking for a slowking Semi-Stalk team and I can’t believe you just posted one. Anyways, amazing team!

Also how do you deal with certain sweepers like Stired power Lati twins or roost dragonite, could you perhaps consider a phasing move?
Gotta tera clod. Latias can be very hard to beat if its agility. If its recover, u win the pp stall, but if its agility u actually have to kill it before it goes crazy. Thats why I always go slowking and chilly into meow. A lot of the times u have to knock it and then finish it off with slowking future sight after it terastallizes to poison. If you misplay and end up having to terastallize clodsire, you have to occasionally switch to gliscor/clefable risking stored power ohko to protect and effectively get 3 more turns of pp stalling gone every time, but its very risky to do that. On the other hand I dont see why you would struggle vs roost dragonite, both dondozo and gliscor beat it.

I played against an ursaluna with this team and everything got OHKOed with no setup except me letting him trailblaze a couple times to outspeed meowscarada. I did something wrong right? What did I do?

RudeLiees

formerly Xr Kartana
I played against an ursaluna with this team and everything got OHKOed with no setup except me letting him trailblaze a couple times to outspeed meowscarada. I did something wrong right? What did I do?
That’s not for nothing that’s a good stallbreaker, stall usually lose to him, just pp stall him with protect or with dondozo

That’s not for nothing that’s a good stallbreaker, stall usually lose to him, just pp stall him with protect or with dondozo
The guy was using facade. They would run maximum pp. that means the guy can use facade 32 times. Facade OHKOes everything on my team but probably 2HKOs dondozo. Dondozo doesn’t have protect. This means that each Mon on the team take 2 hits to KO except for dondozo (which can rest.) This adds up to 13 uses of facade, which is nowhere enough to pp stall my opponent. Are there other ways to beat ursaluna or did I not factor in something that lets me pp stall ursaluna?
EDIT: I used the showdown damage calc. Ursaluna has a guaranteed 2HKO on Dondozo with facade.

Tough and rare match-up, but still, you gotta keep hazard on the field to limit it, and revenge it with meow. It needs 2 trailblazes to outspeed meow.

I feel CM+draining kiss tera water Hatterene should be added to the MU list. Its practically an unwinable matchup with this team.

I feel CM+draining kiss tera water Hatterene should be added to the MU list. Its practically an unwinable matchup with this team.
Try going to Clodsire, Tera Steel, and use Amnesia. It can't touch you after that. The Hatterene that beat me while using this team was Tera Flying. It's immune to EQ, so it can't be worn down. Fortunately very rare.

How is this team supposed to answer opposing Meowscarada? Should I be always using the Tera Fire on Clefable? I feel like there are too many match ups where this isn't feasible and Meow just threatens everything. The only other thing that seems to check it is winning the speed tie and landing Tera Ice Triple Axle, and I lost a game because the last hit missed. They usually run boots too, so something has to actually hit it.

Don't you think Weavile does Meow's job here better? If you don't use her for U-Turn, isn't he just better? More attack/speed, gets knock off/low kick/triple axel (which always OHKOs Gliscor, unlike Meow who doesn't get it without protean), and you get priority ice shard over grass coverage (which I don't see as very important?)

This also solves:

Try going to Clodsire, Tera Steel, and use Amnesia. It can't touch you after that. The Hatterene that beat me while using this team was Tera Flying. It's immune to EQ, so it can't be worn down. Fortunately very rare.

How is this team supposed to answer opposing Meowscarada? Should I be always using the Tera Fire on Clefable? I feel like there are too many match ups where this isn't feasible and Meow just threatens everything. The only other thing that seems to check it is winning the speed tie and landing Tera Ice Triple Axle, and I lost a game because the last hit missed. They usually run boots too, so something has to actually hit it.
Weavile can switch on Axel/Knock off and outspeed, or of course you can pivot into it or revenge kill.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)