Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose it's a matter of how the damage-halving works. If internally, there are separate checks for rain, sand, and hail, then the halving would stack. If there's instead a single check for any of those three, it wouldn't stack.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Im sorry if this has been proposed before but I didn’t think I saw anything too similar so...

Dynamaxium Z

Premise: Pokemon hold Z Crystals to power up their correspondingly typed moves to be the Dynamax / Gigamax versions for an unlimited amount of times.

Explanation:
• This is kind of a re-imagining of Dynamax as a whole with the inspiration from last gen’s Ultimate Z.
• The 18 typed Z Crystals are back and legal to be held, but instead of activating z moves they activate max moves.
• Every Pokemon can hold Z Crystals and activate them as many times as possible in battle, limited only by PP and type. This is for competitive variance and exploration for the meta, ala MnM.
• The corresponding typed Z Crystal turns moves of that type into their dynamax / gigamax version. For example, Firium Z, when activated like an in-game Z Move, would make Flamethrower Max Flare, with the power buff and Sunny Day effect as well.
• Status moves become Max Guard with the corresponding Z Crystal; Psychium Z turns Calm Mind into Max Guard, not Normalium Z. Max Guard functions like it does with Dynamax where it will fail with consecutive uses andfully protects versus opposing Max moves.
• Gigamax versions of Pokemon are unbanned, and they instead use their gigamax version of max moves when powered by the right typed crystal.
• There is no HP altering effects in this meta, just the attack changes.

Competive Insight / Examples:
• Dynamax is nerfed in one way because of the lack of a held item to go along with these attacks, removing the HP factor, and limiting max moves to only be a single type rather than the entire Pokemon’s coverage.
• However, it is also buffed for the unlimited amount of uses and by every Pokemon being able to use max moves.
• I see this meta as a spiritual successor to ultimate z, where it be an offensive meta to some degree and with gen 8’s changes.
:kingdra: :charizard: :excadrill: - weather abusers, especially Rain sweepers, have a nuke to compliment their abilities, and should be closely watched.
:hawlucha: :braviary: :togekiss: - Flying max moves are really strong on top of their Speed boost, and these abusers likely will be great.
:copperajah-gmax: - can realistically set its Steel-typed Stealth Rock while attacking.
:lapras-gmax: - damage + veil, but no Light Clay or HDB to help it out.

Questions:
• Is relying on Z Moves out of the scope of a gen8 OM? MnM has megastones still, so I figured this could be fair game; if not, could we use other items like silvally’s memories and then just tweak dynamax to affect the premise?
• what else besides weather abusers sound too potent?
• could quickbanning a z cyrstal like Flying or Fighting be potentially a good idea if those max move types are overwhelming?

Last edited:
Im sorry if this has been proposed before but I didn’t think I saw anything too similar so...

Dynamaxium Z

Premise: Pokemon hold Z Crystals to power up their correspondingly typed moves to be the Dynamax / Gigamax versions for an unlimited amount of times.

Explanation:
• This is kind of a reimagining of Dynamax as a whole with the inspiration from last gen’s Ultimate Z.
• The 18 typed Z Crystals are back and legal to be held, but instead of activating z moves they activate max moves.
• Every Pokemon can hold Z Crystals and activate them as many times as possible in battle, limited only by PP and type. This is for competitive variance and exploration for the meta, ala MnM.
• The corresponding typed Z Crystal turns moves of that type into their dynamax / gigamax version. For example, Firium Z, when activated like an in-game Z Move, would make Flamethrower Max Flare, with the power buff and Sunny Day effect as well.
• Gigamax versions of Pokemon are unbanned, and they instead use their gigamax version of max moves when powered by the right typed crystal.

• Dynamax is nerfed in one way because of the lack of a held item to go along with these attacks, removing the HP factor, and limiting max moves to only be a single type rather than the entire Pokemon’s coverage.
• However, it is also buffed for the unlimited amount of uses and by every Pokemon being able to use max moves.
• I see this meta as a spiritual successor to ultimate z, where it be an offensive meta to some degree and with gen 8’s changes.
:kingdra: :charizard: :excadrill: - weather abusers, especially Rain sweepers, have a nuke to compliment their abilities, and should be closely watched.
:hawlucha: :braviary: :togekiss: - Flying max moves are really strong on top of their Speed boost, and these abusers likely will be great.
:copperajah-gmax: - can realistically set its Steel-typed Stealth Rock while attacking.

Questions:
• Is relying on Z Moves out of the scope of a gen8 OM? MnM has megastones still, so I figured this could be fair game; if not, could we use other items like silvally’s memories and then just tweak dynamax to affect the premise?
• could quickbanning a z cyrstal like Flying or Fighting be potentially a good idea if those max move types are overwhelming?
This actually sounds really fun. My only suggestion is that you might want to limit Max moves to 3 per crystal (ie the normal duration of Dynamax) or something similar so that way the more potentially problematic Max moves like Knuckle and Airstream become less overwhelming. A limitation like this would also require these moves to be used more strategically, that you'd have to pick the certain times to use these moves. As for whether its possible to program, I'm not exactly sure one way or the other.

Any Pokémon who carries a status move getting a free super-Protect slot could be interesting (Max Guard). Would any Z-crystal work with Max Guard? Or would it not be usable at all?
Example set:

Clefable @ Fairium Z
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower / Calm Mind / Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave

(Fairium Z powers up STAB while preventing status, can also theoretically be used to make Wish or Teleport into Max Guard to make Wish more reliable recovery)

I think this sounds like an interesting meta, but Fighting and Flying especially should be kept on a watchlist, otherwise the meta could be super centralized around Unaware / bulky Haze mons.

Treemons
Every Pokemon adds its stats with its pre-evolutions' stats. Then, the stats are averaged. Then, the stats are scaled to the original BST. All of the pre-evolutions' abilities are legal on the "treemon". If a pre-evolution had a different typing, you can inherit that typing by nicknaming your Pokemon the pre-evolution. You make your Pokemon a "treemon" by making it Shiny.

It might be fun to skip all the "thens" and just stop at "every Pokemon adds its stats with its pre-evolutions' stats". Would this meta be super centralized around three-stage Pokemon? Yes. But it would be very silly to unleash Porygon-Ω onto the world.

HP = 65 + 85 + 85 = 235
Att = 60 + 80 + 80 = 220
Def = 70 + 90 + 70 = 230
SpA = 85 + 105 + 135 = 325 -> 255
SpD = 75 + 95 + 75 = 245
Spe = 40 + 60 + 90 = 190

PU Balanced Hackmons
Premise
- Balanced Hackmons, but you can only use Pokémon, moves, and abilities that can be found in PU—the lowest official tier.
- Follows the regular BH banlist, so you can't use Shedinja, Octolock, Contrary, etc.

Examples
- You cannot use Perrserker because it resides in PUBL.
- You cannot give a Pokémon the ability Imposter or the move Obstruct, because their owners (Ditto and Obstagoon) are banned in PU.
- You can use Shore Up despite Palossand being UU, since its Pre-evo Sandygast also knows the move and is usable in PU.

Justification
- Although the concept is similar to regular BH, the presence of Pokémon with less impressive stats, fewer crazy move options, and less outrageous abilities could mean that this version of BH becomes less of a game of overwhelming numbers and more a game of resource management with the limited options available to you.

Feedback
- Unlike moves, abilities whose owners were Thanosed by Dexit (like Normalize, Primordial Sea, etc.) are still usable in regular BH. Given that this idea of PUBH uses tiers as a reference, I see one of two solutions:
- Use SM tiers as a reference (complicated, can clash/confuse with SS tiers)​
- OR simply disallow the use of abilities not found in vanilla SS (preferable IMO due to its intuitiveness)​
Thoughts?

Last edited:
PU Balanced Hackmons
Premise
- Balanced Hackmons, but you can only use Pokémon, moves, and abilities that can be found in PU—the lowest official tier.
- Follows the regular BH banlist, so you can't use Shedinja, Octolock, Contrary, etc.

Examples
- You cannot use Perrserker because it resides in PUBL.
- You cannot give a Pokémon the ability Imposter or the move Obstruct, because their owners (Ditto and Obstagoon) are banned in PU.
- You can use Shore Up despite Palossand being UU, since its Pre-evo Sandygast also knows the move and is usable in PU.

Justification
- Although the concept is similar to regular BH, the presence of Pokémon with less impressive stats, fewer crazy move options, and less outrageous abilities could mean that this version of BH becomes less of a game of overwhelming numbers and more a game of resource management with the limited options available to you.

Feedback
- Unlike moves, abilities whose owners were Thanosed by Dexit (like Normalize, Primordial Sea, etc.) are still usable in regular BH. Given that this idea of PUBH uses tiers as a reference, I see one of two solutions:
- Use SM tiers as a reference (complicated, can clash/confuse with SS tiers)​
- OR simply disallow the use of abilities not found in vanilla SS (preferable IMO due to its intuitiveness)​
Thoughts?
Stuff like this are fine as one time tournaments. Check with the PU forum if they would let you host it.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Any Pokémon who carries a status move getting a free super-Protect slot could be interesting (Max Guard). Would any Z-crystal work with Max Guard? Or would it not be usable at all?
Example set:

Clefable @ Fairium Z
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower / Calm Mind / Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave

(Fairium Z powers up STAB while preventing status, can also theoretically be used to make Wish or Teleport into Max Guard to make Wish more reliable recovery)

I think this sounds like an interesting meta, but Fighting and Flying especially should be kept on a watchlist, otherwise the meta could be super centralized around Unaware / bulky Haze mons.
I believe that to be consistent with the premise, status moves need the correspondingly typed Z Crystal to activate Max Guard. While Max Guard is technically Normal-typed, any type of status move can become it, and the premise specifically states that moves only become Max Moves with the right crystal. I added this to the post, and an edit to the Clefable set you posted could be this then:

Clefable @ Psychium Z
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Teleport / Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock / Stored Power / Flamethrower

Psychium Z with either Teleport or Calm Mind gives Clefairy a fifth move of sorts with Max Guard, allowing it to utilize WishTect in less moves and scout for opposing Z Crystals safely. It also buffs potential Psychic coverage like Stored Power or Psyshock, which could dent Poison-types.

Blissey (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Teleport
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss / Tri Attack

Here's another in the same vein, and while Seismic Toss is probably more reliable all-around, I wonder if a boosted Tri Attack could be anything special.

Stuff like this are fine as one time tournaments. Check with the PU forum if they would let you host it.
I'm not wholly familiar with how tournaments work, especially one like this. Would this be played as a custom game or something? Because it seems like it would be a hassle to code the settings for something like this if it were only a one-time tournament.

I just want to ensure I understand the process if I am to propose a tourney like this sometime.

I'm not wholly familiar with how tournaments work, especially one like this. Would this be played as a custom game or something? Because it seems like it would be a hassle to code the settings for something like this if it were only a one-time tournament.

I just want to ensure I understand the process if I am to propose a tourney like this sometime.
It would be played in BH. They can use custom challenges to ban Pokémon above PU, or just manually check if it is legal in PU.

Like /challenge [opponent], gen8balancedhackmons@@@-uber,-ou,-uubl,-uu,-rubl,-ru,-nubl,-nu,-publ

I didn’t see any suggestions like this after skimming a few pages, and the OP didn’t seem to indicate whether this idea would likely be discouraged. As such...

Z-Max

Premise:

-A meta where Dynamax becomes a spiritual successor to Z-moves, but in a way that’s actually balanced.

-Dynamax works the same as usual, but with the change of no secondary effects.

-Gigantamax moves retain their secondary effects.

-OU-based metagame

Examples:

-Excadrill is selected to Dynamax. It can either use Max Guard (SD), Max Strike (Rapid Spin), Max Quake (EQ), or Max Steelspike (Iron Head). It uses Max Quake. Max Quake works as it normally would, but does not provide a special defense boost.

-Charizard is selected to Gigantamax. It uses G-Max Wildfire. G-Max Wildfire works as it normally would, and retains its secondary field effect.

Justification:

-OU was never able to develop a meta based on the Dynamax mechanic, as it proved to be incredibly broken. This meta would allow the dynamic to be relevant in an OU-based meta.

-The most significant factor that made Dynamax broken was how each Max Move had secondary effects. This meta removes that factor, making it more balanced.

-This meta allows for what is essentially a twist on Z-moves: less powerful “ultimate moves” are available, but can be used three times rather than one, and the HP stat is doubled. The former aspect makes a misprediction with a Max Move less costly than with a Z move, which helps offensive playstyles. The HP buff, which Z moves lack, is a boon to defensive playstyles, as well as being able to check opposing Dynamax mons with Max Guard. Together, they produce more complex strategies than Z moves’ “unga bunga click nuke button with no defensive counterplay”.

Questions:

-Is it worthwhile, in terms of time spent discussing issues and theorizing meta development, to try to balance an aspect of gameplay by outright changing its mechanics? (mostly rhetorical)

-Is it better to try to make a mechanic balanced by changing it, or is it better to just throw out a mechanic entirely? For example, Sleep clause balances the sleep mechanic, while OHKO clause outright removes OHKO moves.

-Is the nerf sufficient? Or are the Max Moves still too powerful given their ability to be used three times, or is double HP too overpowered?

-Which pokemon and playstyles will improve the most under these conditions? Which, if any, will become worse?

-Will any Gigantamax pokemon (aside from the obvious Cinderace and Rillaboom) become viable in OU due to their moves’ secondary effects?

That basically wraps it up. Does this sound like a fun and/or interesting meta? Is it too similar to other proposals, whether or not said proposals were approved or rejected? Am I missing something and being completely dumb (entirely possible)? Let me know your thoughts.

Dynamaxium Z

Explanation:
• This is kind of a re-imagining of Dynamax as a whole with the inspiration from last gen’s Ultimate Z.
• Status moves become Max Guard with the corresponding Z Crystal; Psychium Z turns Calm Mind into Max Guard, not Normalium Z. Max Guard functions like it does with Dynamax where it will fail with consecutive uses andfully protects versus opposing Max moves.

Questions:
This is a very cool idea! However, unlimited seems a bit much and would make this unfun. At the same time, once per game like Z-Move mechanics wouldn’t be an interesting OM. My suggestion is to make it once per Pokémon. This way it won’t be just spammed, as unlimited uses make it the superior item on everything, and it will keep the metagame more balanced.

so i just had an idea of an om where base stats are used instead of the stats
BST CUP sorry if unoriginal
here, the base stat is used instead of the stat, and anything outside of battle that alters the stats is removed (basically ivs, evs and nature are removed).
Ex. instead of having 306 spatk, an alakazam would have 135 special attack

stats modifiers, like swords dance and calm mind would alter the stats normally

so i just had an idea of an om where base stats are used instead of the stats
BST CUP sorry if unoriginal
here, the base stat is used instead of the stat, and anything outside of battle that alters the stats is removed (basically ivs, evs and nature are removed).
Ex. instead of having 306 spatk, an alakazam would have 135 special attack

stats modifiers, like swords dance and calm mind would alter the stats normally
I have only a question: how the meta will change? The OMotM are different from the normal ou meta, but in bst cup it would be the same...

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
I have only a question: how the meta will change? The OMotM are different from the normal ou meta, but in bst cup it would be the same...
I'm assuming the stats would be the same and the EVs and IVs wouldn't change the stats. So already, EVs and IVs don't matter. Also, fix damaging moves like seismic toss would become way stronger (and probably banned). Stat boosting would also be significantly nerfed. If we look at huge power azumarill, it would have the equivalent of 100 base attack now instead of around 150 which is a huge nerf.

I didn’t see any suggestions like this after skimming a few pages, and the OP didn’t seem to indicate whether this idea would likely be discouraged. As such...

Z-Max

Premise:

-A meta where Dynamax becomes a spiritual successor to Z-moves, but in a way that’s actually balanced.

-Dynamax works the same as usual, but with the change of no secondary effects.

-Gigantamax moves retain their secondary effects.

-OU-based metagame

Examples:

-Excadrill is selected to Dynamax. It can either use Max Guard (SD), Max Strike (Rapid Spin), Max Quake (EQ), or Max Steelspike (Iron Head). It uses Max Quake. Max Quake works as it normally would, but does not provide a special defense boost.

-Charizard is selected to Gigantamax. It uses G-Max Wildfire. G-Max Wildfire works as it normally would, and retains its secondary field effect.

Justification:

-OU was never able to develop a meta based on the Dynamax mechanic, as it proved to be incredibly broken. This meta would allow the dynamic to be relevant in an OU-based meta.

-The most significant factor that made Dynamax broken was how each Max Move had secondary effects. This meta removes that factor, making it more balanced.

-This meta allows for what is essentially a twist on Z-moves: less powerful “ultimate moves” are available, but can be used three times rather than one, and the HP stat is doubled. The former aspect makes a misprediction with a Max Move less costly than with a Z move, which helps offensive playstyles. The HP buff, which Z moves lack, is a boon to defensive playstyles, as well as being able to check opposing Dynamax mons with Max Guard. Together, they produce more complex strategies than Z moves’ “unga bunga click nuke button with no defensive counterplay”.

Questions:

-Is it worthwhile, in terms of time spent discussing issues and theorizing meta development, to try to balance an aspect of gameplay by outright changing its mechanics? (mostly rhetorical)

-Is it better to try to make a mechanic balanced by changing it, or is it better to just throw out a mechanic entirely? For example, Sleep clause balances the sleep mechanic, while OHKO clause outright removes OHKO moves.

-Is the nerf sufficient? Or are the Max Moves still too powerful given their ability to be used three times, or is double HP too overpowered?

-Which pokemon and playstyles will improve the most under these conditions? Which, if any, will become worse?

-Will any Gigantamax pokemon (aside from the obvious Cinderace and Rillaboom) become viable in OU due to their moves’ secondary effects?

That basically wraps it up. Does this sound like a fun and/or interesting meta? Is it too similar to other proposals, whether or not said proposals were approved or rejected? Am I missing something and being completely dumb (entirely possible)? Let me know your thoughts.
you only got rid of the max moves effects

nolenot

Banned deucer.
Boostmons: literally just mons but you keep stat changes and (maybe) substitutes when switching out.

Things that could be banned: Sticky webs, Belly drum, Intimidate, Download

I think this has potential as an OM because i like the idea of being able to throw off status moves and be able to set up mons and keep their boosts to encourage aggressive play and also playing around status in a way that seems interesting. Someone has probably done this already but not for gen 8 so have any suggestions nerds?

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Boostmons: literally just mons but you keep stat changes and (maybe) substitutes when switching out.

Things that could be banned: Sticky webs, Belly drum, Intimidate, Download

I think this has potential as an OM because i like the idea of being able to throw off status moves and be able to set up mons and keep their boosts to encourage aggressive play and also playing around status in a way that seems interesting. Someone has probably done this already but not for gen 8 so have any suggestions nerds?
This has been been suggested before in this gen, and it was rejected, for good reason. It's just too encouraging to hyper offense to thrive, because they can set up freely on a mon they force out, and if they're forced out, they keep their boosts so when they come in next time, and then do serious damage. Honestly, this isn't a very good idea, and would be unenjoyable in the long run.

Triggered

Basically all abilities that trigger due to certain circumstances will cause the Pokemon to use it's first move in its moveset instead of the ability's effects.

All moves that are always active like Huge Power will just do their normal thing (in this case doubling the Attack stat)

Example: Let's say my Lucario with Justified gets hit with a dark-type move. This normally would trigger the ability and raise Lucario's attack. However in this metagame, it will instead cause Lucario to immediately use the first move in its moveset. Let's say Lucario's first move was Nasty Plot. This would effectively turn Justified into a special-attack raising version but with double the effect. This is just an example, I don't think this would be very effective.

This can make weather or terrain-starting mons like Pelipper or Rillaboom quite effective. Send out Rillaboom, it immediately uses Swords Dance, effectively giving it Huge Power. Coupled with its high Attack Stat, this could make a very strong threat.

Banned Abilities: Abilities that trigger every turn (Speed Boost, ), Stance Change (Therefore Aegislash is banned), Ice Face (Therefore Eiscue), Disguise (Therefore Mimikyu), Libero (There aren't any Protean mons in Sword/Shield)

Banned Moves as 1st slot: WIP

Banned Moves in general: All Switching moves except Teleport,

Potential Threats:
Weather/Terrain-starting moves, other moves that activate upon entry like Intimidate, Magic Bounce, Stat-boosting moves.

Potential questions:

Does it consume PP when the Pokemon uses its move through the ability?

Yes.

I think that X should be banned.
That's not a question. Also feel free to say what moves should be banned.

What about Choice Items and Assault Vest?
If a move is used through an ability and the Pokemon hasn't used a move yet, Choice Items will cause it to lock into the move it just used. If it activates again after it moved already, then it either uses the move it was locked into or the first move in the moveset. I don't care, either would be interesting. The same goes for Gorilla Tactics.

For Assault Vest, it works as normal, but the move fails if the first move is a Status move.

EDIT: Can you still use the move in the 1st slot?
Yes! You can use it as much as you want (assuming it still has PP, that is).

EDIT: Does the ability still cause the normal effect?
No. If you were paying attention then you would've noticed that it takes effect instead of the ability's normal effect.

Last edited:
Triggered

Basically all abilities that trigger due to certain circumstances will cause the Pokemon to use it's first move in its moveset instead of the ability's effects.

All moves that are always active like Huge Power will just do their normal thing (in this case doubling the Attack stat)

Example: Let's say my Lucario with Justified gets hit with a dark-type move. This normally would trigger the ability and raise Lucario's attack. However in this metagame, it will instead cause Lucario to immediately use the first move in its moveset. Let's say Lucario's first move was Nasty Plot. This would effectively turn Justified into a special-attack raising version but with double the effect. This is just an example, I don't think this would be very effective.

This can make weather or terrain-starting mons like Pelipper or Rillaboom quite effective. Send out Rillaboom, it immediately uses Swords Dance, effectively giving it Huge Power. Coupled with its high Attack Stat, this could make a very strong threat.

Banned Abilities: Abilities that trigger every turn (Speed Boost, ), Stance Change (Therefore Aegislash is banned), Ice Face (Therefore Eiscue), Disguise (Therefore Mimikyu)

Banned Moves as 1st slot: WIP

Banned Moves in general: All Switching moves except Teleport,

Potential Threats:
Weather/Terrain-starting moves, other moves that activate upon entry like Intimidate, Magic Bounce, Stat-boosting moves.

Potential questions:

Does it consume PP when the Pokemon uses its move through the ability?

Yes.

I think that X should be banned.
That's not a question. Also feel free to say what moves should be banned.

What about Choice Items and Assault Vest?
If a move is used through an ability and the Pokemon hasn't used a move yet, Choice Items will cause it to lock into the move it just used. If it activates again after it moved already, then it either uses the move it was locked into or the first move in the moveset. I don't care, either would be interesting. The same goes for Gorilla Tactics.

For Assault Vest, it works as normal, but the move fails if the first move is a Status move.
It sounds very interesting! It sounds like the better version of trademarked, but how regenerator works? You can switch and use a move in the same time? It would be too strong imo. Amoongus can switch and use spore. Then you put your setupper and gg.
And another question: is this an uber or ou metagame? And how arena trap, magnet pull, shadow tag works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)