Metagross Discussion

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I was noticing how some people claim some Metagross sets to be better than others, like how Taylor prefers Sleep Talk Metagross, I prefer Choice Band, and we both respectively regard them to be the best sets (at least last time I checked about Taylor's opinion). But I hear from a bunch of random people (not necessarily A random, just random niggas on the street) believe Agiligross is the best Metagross.

I just can't see it. Therefore I ask your opinions on why people believe this, and whether or not you believe Agiligross is the best set.

Most people believe it because its the normal bog standard imo. Another reason might be because most people say its the best sweeper if it gets an attack boost, or because it can just boom while being faster than everything, possible killing something.

I personally think that some form of Mixgross is the best, as it catches many things off guard, and will definately harm many unsuspecting things.

You can't really say each set is the best one because they all have different purposes and might as well be different pokemon:

Agiligross is probably best as an endgame sweeper when most stuff is down and Skarm is weakened. But it's usually garbage early unless you have a Magneton to take down Skarmory, other support, etc.

Choice Band Metagross is a good early/mid game sweeper, but its best role in this case is weakenng other stuff/exploding on stuff like Swampert/Milotic to set up other hitters. Every now and then you'll get a team that is somewhat weak to it right off the bat. Mixgross is somewhat the same role: it hits a lot of stuff and usually you'll end up trying to explode it on a key player.

Sleep Talk Metagross is an easy switch-in Sleep Talker against most, if not all Pokemon with a Sleep move like Gengar/Venusaur/Jynx and even Milotic if you give it the proper EVs. A decent enough offensive/defensive blend if you get something for Skarmory.

Without using any resources and support for the team, I find a Metagross with 4 attacks the best, even without Choice Band. My personal favourite is something like Meteor Mash, Thunderpunch, Hidden Power Grass, Earthquake/Explosion. Otherwise it ends up being a predictable dude walled by every Water and with little to no coverage - at least this way it has some surprise and lures out Swampert.

Agilitigross is by far my favourite when passing Swords Dances from something like Celebi, because after one Swords Dance and an Agility the only thing that doesn't lose to it one on one is Skarmory if I recall correctly.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Gross is probably the pokemon I use the most, and I find the Restalk Set to be awesome, it can take hits like a pro and if you get an Atk Boost on a Milotic/Zapdos switch in, you WILL win one on one. Probably the one of best VilTar counter (if you're not counting stuff like Nidoking...).

If a CBGross gets an Atk boost, NOTHING is safe. IMO, it would be almost broken if it wasnt for Magneton.

But my favorite lately has been a speedy HP Grass, MM, EQ, Boom Gross.

Metagross @ Leftovers ** Pio Sinetos
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 196 Atk / 252 Spd / 60 SAtk
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Oh, and Psych Up is fun too.
Psychic, HP Fire, MM, Explosion is also sexy.
Not to mention it can be a great supporter with Reflect/LS.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I may have said SleepGross is better than any other Gross, because I just prefer it. It has more utility, I believe, in terms of supporting a team and it's weaknesses. CBGross is good, whilst it uses the massive attack and Stab it has been gifted with to break the opponent's team down. Additionally, it has been popularized far greater than it's lower tier sets, ie: Mixed/Agillity. Therefore, he sees more play on any given team, and because the general public see it using it's physical side to it's fullest potential, they play with it as a CB/Mixed Pokemon. SleepGross then sleeps away in the distance far awar due to them reasons alone. Though maybe they just fit on the majority of teams anyway, and the user does not see a need for SleepTalk to support his/her team.

What I mean by utility is: The defenses you put into it, and the Rest/STalk moveset added to it's arsenal, the ability to switch in to Pokemon is expanded, as you're able to take hits better and replenish your health. The paired types that he has ( Psychic/Steel) are an addition to the success he hasn't achieved, yet.

We can not forget the fact that even with using it's defenses over attack/special attack, that it can still maintain a great offense.

I have some things to do atm, so I can't go further than that.

I regard Gross as something you have to tailor to specifically fit your team, meaning there's no clear cut "best" set.
For example I'll use Agiligross only if I have a team basically built around it, since a good opponent will know to keep their Gross counter alive if they see it. MixGross for surprise kills to let something else set up, ST Gross to take status, etc.
However if I had to pick out a favorite Gross set, I'd go with CB MM/EQ/RS/Boom for obvious reasons. And because some people don't know that Skarm can get 4HKO'd by it and try to spike up.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
I love Pursuit Metagross, as a lot of my teams have Pursuit incorporated into them to eliminate ghosts that may be walling my spinner. Then, I build around that by adding things that can take advantage of the absence of ghosts, such as EQ Curselax.

CBgross is extremely powerful. Agiligross is.... fast. Stalkergross is durable. Pursuitgross is revenge killer. Mixedgross is unpredictable.

I prefer power to wear down or just endure for a long time.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The problem with Agilitygross / Mixedgross imo is that it would usually never penetrate the Water / Zapdos (unless it has Rock Slide) of the team. Mixed is good for those defensive Meta counters that are one-sided (Weezing, Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress) or those with quad weak (Gyarados and Swampert), but stuff like Milotic would wall it all day. I could see Mixedgross working to lure those defensive Zapdos and Waters so that Metagross could blow up on it, but Meta itself would have a difficult time sweeping with atleast 1 pogey walling it.

CBGross is more popular because it has power that could actually break through most of its counters. Still it could be walled and worn down. Perhaps that is why Sleep Talk Gross has earned its popularity for accepting it being walled by lots of stuff and just going defensive instead.

VIL is definitely right, though. They each have its own way of contributing to their teams. I personally like CBGross with Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Explosion / Thunderpunch, because it could actually do something about the walls. It definitely needs complementary offenses to remove atleast one of the things that is absorbing Meta's hits, though.

Metagross is like a luxury car, noticable, powerful and to be tailored to your needs. While some may like the Choice Band, others may despise it. While some prefer mixed, others call it a joke.(Although IMO is one of the best wallbreakers around) Some like the pure attacker, and others like AgiliGross.

Personally, I've used every Metagross and find that the pure attacker is my cup of tea. For my ADV team, however, I use AgiliGross, because its sweep is impaired only by Swampert and the Bulky Grounds,(who usually are sacrificed due to that my team puts on the illusion that Swampert isn't a problem at all defensively, despite the fact that it does have 1/2 my team under wraps) who are Exploded on when healthy allowing the second cleaner do its action. the fact that Dugtrio was popular then also shaped me toward defensive or Agility, and I don't like limiting Gross down to 2 moves.

Hell no, fuck CBGross, as long as Skarmory's used, then fuck CBGross. It's not cause of Skarm, it's cause of Magneton. While it most likely resists your 3 moves, 1 of which probably kills itself, Magneton is going to win. There's no doubt about it.

I personally like Psych Up+Reflect Metagross. It's just...-fun-

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
You can't cripple CB Meta just because of Magneton, because like all CBers it requires some prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)