Metalheads United ;D

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
i haven't heard animals as leaders, but blotted science is pretty bad from what i remember. generally metal that puts technical prowess above fluent songwriting isn't worth it. fast/technical playing doesn't make up for a band sounding like they're just piecing together music that's already been done.

converge is more hardcore than metalcore, they retain most of their punk influence. most modern metalcore is just heavier radio rock with some (poorly done) harsh vocals thrown in.

i haven't heard animals as leaders, but blotted science is pretty bad from what i remember. generally metal that puts technical prowess above fluent songwriting isn't worth it. fast/technical playing doesn't make up for a band sounding like they're just piecing together music that's already been done.

converge is more hardcore than metalcore, they retain most of their punk influence. most modern metalcore is just heavier radio rock with some (poorly done) harsh vocals thrown in.
while i can understand why you'd think that about Blotted Science, Animals as Leaders and Cloudkicker put quite a bit of emphasis on song-writing as a whole, not just creating soundscapes for them to wank-a-doodle over with their guitars.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i still havent heard blotted science, i might listen to it, but i'm afraid it'll be all wank and no substance and remind me of Necrophagist

Metallica were influenced by lots of shit though... Mercyful Fate, Venom, Misfits, Blitzkrieg, anything Danzig did after Misfits. Motorhead. Iron Maiden. Queen.

Post-Misfits Danzig came a bit too late to be an influence on Metallica imo, though I believe James actually did some uncredited backing vocals on the first Danzig album.

Speaking of influences and Danzig, that guy had some unusual influences -- Johnny Cash and Bill Medley as well as a bunch of middle eastern type music too (which shows a lot on Danzig 6:66).

Oh metalhead thread, so THIS is where you've been hiding all this time from me!!!

I like all metal except black metal and metalcore but I don't really care about what kind of metal it is as long as I like it.
I'm mostly an old school kind of guy.
Some of my favorite bands are Judas Priest, Saxon, Dio, Overkill, Exodus, Angel Witch, Vio-lence and many others :)

i still havent heard blotted science, i might listen to it, but i'm afraid it'll be all wank and no substance and remind me of Necrophagist
i think there's a shitton of substance, and i really dislike Necro because it's all wank.

if that helps you at all. ;)

i've got it and his (their?) other albums, but for the latest one i haven't heard it, too lazy to convert >_>
hmmm...?

you can download it in mp3...(?)
Oh metalhead thread, so THIS is where you've been hiding all this time from me!!!

I like all metal except black metal and metalcore but I don't really care about what kind of metal it is as long as I like it.
Some of my favorite bands are Judas Priest, Saxon, Dio, Overkill, Exodus, Angel Witch, Vio-lence and many others :)
do you listen to any current metal?

I dunno I find Blotted Science to be full of wankery. I enjoy Liquid Tension Experiment, though, but that's probably because I like jamming music and they have a lot of guitar solos and stuff rather than being lots of time changes.

editing in

h metalhead thread, so THIS is where you've been hiding all this time from me!!!

you should take a listen to some Candlemass and Saint Vitus methinks. They were around in the 80s and have that old-school metal feel, and Candlemass is still putting stuff out (their newest record is amazing). You might also want to check out Early Man, a 00s band that I think sounds a lot like like Judas Priest

Altmer

i listened to the whole thing. it's ok, it probably needs time to grow. if it doesn't it's just not my cuppa

do you listen to any current metal?
Some current yes, but what period of time do you consider current metal?

Ummm I listen to some Amon Amarth, Alestorm, Aura Noir (don't remember if they're that current) umm some Nevermore, Skeletonwitch.
Also I listen to the so called new wave of american thrash or something like that. Toxic Holocaust, Bonded by Blood, Warbringer, Gama Bomb, etc.
Not as good as the original but pretty good.

Yeah not that much new stuff xD
It's mostly because I haven't been exposed to it that much.

By the way!
Anyone plan on seeing the Rust and Peace tour with Megadeth Testament and Exodus?

Forty years ago today, Black Sabbath released their debut album Black Sabbath. Today heavy metal albums officially turn forty years old

"Just like Cream! Except worse"

ahh that's bullshit i am smitten by sabbath's debut, enough that my password on this website includes the date of release of the album. I'm gonna give it a couple plays today i think

i listened to the whole thing. it's ok, it probably needs time to grow. if it doesn't it's just not my cuppa
fair enough. there's a lot to digest tohugh, so a couple more listens are essential before making your final judgement.

Some current yes, but what period of time do you consider current metal?

Yeah not that much new stuff xD
It's mostly because I haven't been exposed to it that much.
the last 10 years or so is what i consider "current". ;)

i'm not sure what to recommend you, since i'm not big on any of the bands you mentioned.

maybe try Extol: Undeceived on for size. :naughty:

excellent progressive death metal with clean vocals and orchestrations galore.

Also I listen to the so called new wave of american thrash or something like that. Toxic Holocaust, Bonded by Blood, Warbringer, Gama Bomb, etc.
Not as good as the original but pretty good.
Dekapitator and Wolfpacked Unleashed are both nice new bands from the thrash resurgence.

Better than most others at least, imo.

Altmer

extol are christians which makes me automagically want to slap them in the face

if i am gonna do death metal, i'll just do bloodbath.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
bloodbath sucks. listen to the old school swedish death metal that they so inconspicuously "borrow" from instead.

Altmer

grave, entombed, the like, i enjoy yes. but i enjoy bloodbath too.

i don't have to be elitist about it, i like more "regular" metal quite a bit sometimes. to me bloodbath write good songs even if they're not the most original band out there

maybe try Extol: Undeceived on for size. :naughty:

excellent progressive death metal with clean vocals and orchestrations galore.
Not a fan of Extol. I don't like the combination of death metal vocals and clean vocals.
Also I didn't like their riffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)